1 May 2019

Mathew is preparing to revolt
In the shop flat, Mathew has created a placard, reading, “Fair Pay for Workers.”   He asks DJ if this will be OK, and is told that it is a bit of fun, and that it will prove a point.
"Dad's been taking advantage of you"
“Dad’s been taking advantage of you, hasn’t he?” DJ reminds him, but Mathew would be happier if he were not alone when Dai turns up.   
"Don't give in to him when he loses it!"
“You’ll be fine – just don’t give in to him when he loses it!” is DJ’s advice, “After all, it’s May 1st – Labour Day –if you can’t prove a point today, then there’s not much hope.”
"What if he sacks me?"
“But what if he sacks me?” whines Mathew, but he is told Dai is not allowed to do that, and, anyway Mathew is running the place.
Before he leaves, DJ tells Mathew, “I’d say that Tesni might think a little more of you, as a rebel!”   Mathew points out that DJ and Sioned suggested this in the first place, 
"Justice for the workers!"
but DJ encourages him, “Come the revolution – justice for the workers!”
Mathew sends a text to Tesni 
Mathew gets out his phone and sends a message to Tesni;  “Are you around today?”   Then he picks up his placard and sets off for his protest.
Tesni is obviously no better
Tesni declares to Guto that it is a duvet day for her today;  
"You'll get some peace, with Dad away"
he is concerned about her, but remarks that at least she will get some peace with Dad away.   
"He can't help it, Guto"
“He can’t help it, Guto,” she says, and he is about to leave for school when she sees the message from Mathew, and ignores it.   
"Mathew wants to see me"
“Mathew wants to see me.   If you see him, don’t say a word, OK?”
Mathew's one-man demonstration
Outside APD Mathew is shouting, “What do we want?   Fair pay!   When do we want it?   Now!”   
Mark enquires about the protest
He is interrupted by Mark, who is told that this is a protest on Labour Day.   
"Can you take a photo of me for Facebook?"
He asks Mark to take a photo of him, so that he can put it on Facebook.
“I don’t think you should smile so much,” says Mark, 
"You need to look serious – angry, even!"
“You need to look serious – angry, even!   That’s better.”   Then Dai arrives on the scene, accompanied by Diane.
"I've never heard anything so ridiculous!"
“What do you think you’re doing?” Dai demands, “A protest? – I’ve never heard anything so ridiculous!   
"I'll give you protest!"
“I’ll give you protest!”   
Ffion wants to talk to Rhys . . .
Llinos is serving in the shop, and just as Rhys is leaving, he meets Ffion;  she tells him that Dai and Mathew are arguing about something.   
. . . and Llinos is otherwise occupied
As Llinos is busy, she continues, “Rhys, we have to talk,” 
"There's nothing more to say"
but he maintains there is nothing more to say.   
"I miss you terribly!"
“I miss you terribly,” she groans, “Look, come over to the flat at lunchtime, please!”
"What are you doing this week, Ffion?"
Their intimate conversation is interrupted by Hywel, who tells them they are missing the show out there.   “I’m glad you’re both here – what are you doing this week?” he asks Ffion, 
"I would like Rhys to babysit again"
“I would like Rhys to babysit for me while I take you to Tapas – which night is best?”   
He does not like the sound of this
Rhys’ face falls at this news.   
"I'm very busy at the moment"
Ffion tries to be noncommittal, pointing out that she is very busy at the moment;  he is not discouraged, “Or we could go to the Bull  – or Swansea – 
"How about the weekend?"
“how about the weekend?”   She agrees that perhaps that would be a possibility, but now has to leave as she is late.
“I hope Gaynor realises how hard Ffion works,” says Hywel, 
"Sorry, Dad, I'm in a hurry"
and Rhys gives the excuse that he is in a hurry.
"I'm trying to make a point"
As Dai and Diane turn and walk away, Mathew continues to insist, “I’m trying to make a point, and I have every right to.”   
"Not right outside my shop!"
Dai’s opinion is that it should not be right outside his shop.   
Diane is sure that they can discuss this responsibly, but Dai has become irate;  
"What version of Karl Marx have you been reading?"
“I don’t know what version of Karl Marx you’ve been reading, but this is the modern age!”   
"You can't force people to work like this!"
Mathew responds that he cannot force people to work under these conditions, as it is against the law.   “All I want is a contract, sensible hours and overtime pay,” exclaims Mathew, and Dai explodes once again.  
"Let's go inside and talk about this"
Diane says they can go inside to talk about this, but Dai’s mind is made up;  
"He's not setting foot in my shop!"
“You can go in, but he’s not setting foot in my shop!   
"Stay out here until you see some sense!"
“You, Che Guavara, can stay out here until you start to see some sense!   It’s now an the official lockout – and from this second, I’m docking your pay as well!”
Mathew looks across at number 10
Mathew sadly looks across at number 10, as, inside APD, 
"You can't lock him out, Dai"
Diane points out that Dai cannot lock him out, 
"I'm the boss and I can do what I want!"
but he replies, “I’m the boss and I can do whatever I want – I could sack him!   He’s parading up and down out there, protesting, putting pictures online, giving the company a bad name.   He should be grateful that he has a job!”
"He has been working long hours"
Diane reminds him that Mathew has been working long hours;  “Yes – and why, Diane?” snarls Dai, 
"Because of your useless son!"
“I’ll tell you – because your your useless son is either gallivanting at a meeting or chatting to Ffion.”   
She tells him that getting worked up does not do him any good, but he goes on, “I’ll tell you what doesn’t do me any good – employing someone so ungrateful who just takes advantage.   
"If he wants a contract, he'll get a contract!"
“If he wants a contract, he’ll get a contract!”
“How are customers going to come in if you’ve locked the door?” she enquires, 
"You're going to let the customers in and out . . ."
and he tells her that she is going to sit there and let them in and out, because this is Jason’s fault;  
". . . and don't let him near the place!"
he instructs her not to let Mathew anywhere near the place.
“I didn’t think you were going to come,” sighs Ffion, when Rhys arrives at Cysgod y Glyn, 
"I almost didn't come"
and he admits that he almost did not, after what happened in the shop.   “You heard me say no to Hywel,” she continues.
"Tell me straight – are you interested in Dad?"
“Tell me straight, Ffion, are you interested in Dad?” he demands, and she maintains that she really does not know how that kiss happened.   
“You haven’t answered the question!” he emphasises, 
"It was just a kiss between old friends"
and she says it was just a kiss between old friends.
"No, stop, Rhys!"
“If you won’t tell the truth . . ,” Rhys says, and turns towards the door;  she begs him to stop, confessing that perhaps it was more that, but only for a second – a moment of intimacy.
"There's a history and an understanding"
“Hywel and I were married – there’s a history and an understanding,” she explains, and Rhys does not want to come between them.   “There’s nothing between us, and I thought Hywel understood that – I don’t know why he thinks otherwise,” she pleads.   
"I can't ruin my father's happiness"
Rhys says that he cannot ruin his father’s happiness, but Ffion implores him, 
"There's no future for Hywel and me"
“Please, Rhys – believe me, there is no future for Hywel and me – honestly.   So please, can we start over?”   He does not look very optimistic.
Debbie is talking to this mystery person again
In the salon, Debbie is engaged on another of these phone calls;  “Sorry, Gwyneth has turned up to do a stock-take – I can’t talk for long.   Yes I’m looking forward to it, too.”
"Don't stand there on the phone!"
Gwyneth comes in, complaining as usual;  “What are you doing?   Put these towels away, don’t stand there on the phone!”    Mark is just arriving with the post, and Gwyneth asks him, “What’s wrong with her?   She’s constantly on the phone – she’s up to something!”
"Take no notice – she enjoys stirring!"
Debbie tells him, “Take no notice of her – she enjoys stirring.   This company has been phoning me – do we want solar panels at Maes-y-Deri?   Nuisance!”   
Mark suspects something is going on
Mark looks rather suspicious.
"I don't want to be with Hywel"
Rhys maintains that there is not much to smile about, but Ffion does not know what else she can say;  “I don’t want to be with Hywel,” she insists, 
"Will there be another 'moment of intimacy'?"
but Rhys wonders if there will be another ‘moment of intimacy’.   
"I can't stop thinking about you, Rhys!"
“There won’t be – because I can’t stop thinking about you, Rhys!” she replies, “Since you left on Monday, I haven’t thought about anything else – there’s no room in my head for anyone else – and I know you still feel it.   
"If only you knew how much I want you now!"
“We’re good together – and you know it!   I don’t want it to end – if only you knew how much I want you now!”
Rhys cannot resist Ffion's charms
She appears to have won him round, and kisses him.
"It's all right – Mathew didn't see me"
Guto comes back from school to find Tesni still on the sofa;  “Mathew was outside APD just now, but he didn’t see me,” he tells her, “Have you heard from him?”
"Only about 15 texts!"
“Only about 15 texts,” Tesni groans, but she has not replied, as she does not want him to call.   Guto warns her she cannot avoid him for ever, but she replies that she will text him when she is better.   
"Hasn't this gone on long enough?"
“Say something today,” Guto advises, but she urges him not to nag;  “Hasn’t this gone on long enough?” but she says she is too ill to deal with it.
Mathew does not seem to be garnering much support
Mathew is keeping up his protest outside APD, although the passers-by seem to be ignoring him, and Dai occasionally snarls at him.   
He is beckoned into APD by Diane
While Dai is temporarily out of the way, Diane beckons him into the shop;  
"He's going to write you a contract tonight"
“He’s going to write you a contract tonight, so you can stop that nonsense.   You’re lucky, good boy – 
"I've spent all day persuading him not to sack you"
“I’ve spent all day trying to persuade him not to sack you.”
Mathew is confident that if they sacked him, they would have to shut the shop;  
"You know what he's like when he's angry"
she says that he knows what Dai is like when he is angry.   Mathew makes it clear that he has no argument with Diane;  “But Dai has been taking advantage, 
"People have told me to make a stand"
and people have told me to make a stand – that’s what I’m doing!”
Diane enquires what ‘people’ these might be, and is told it was Sioned, Ricky, Rhys and DJ.   The last of these names interests Diane;  
"DJ?   We'll see about that!"
“Right, we’ll see about that!” she declares, then adds, “You had better be on time tomorrow morning, or who knows what Dai will do?”   
She locks up APD
She closes up the shop.
"How did your day go, then?"
Hywel comes home and asks his son how his day has gone;  “Are you going to collect Esther?” he says, 
"You don't mind me asking you to babysit, do you?"
“You don’t mind me asking you to babysit while I take Ffion out this weekend, do you?   I know she’s busy, 
"I have a very positive feeling about this"
“but I have a very positive feeling about this – it’s easy to relight the fire!”
"Ffion's got no interest in you – she told me"
Rhys looks very uneasy, then announces, “Sorry, but you’re wrong about Ffion!   She’s got no interest you – she told me.   She said that kissing you was a mistake.”   
"Why would she tell you?"
Hywel wonders why she would tell this to Rhys, 
"She was upset, Dad"
and he explains, “I saw her earlier, and it came out because she was upset.   She doesn’t want to hurt you, Dad, 
"I don't want you to make a fool of yourself"
“so she asked me to explain.   I’m really sorry, Dad – I don’t want you to make fool of yourself either.”
"Right, I'm going to see her!"
“We’ll see about that – I’m going round to see Ffion!” Hywel angrily declares, and will take no notice of Rhys’ warning that it will do no good.   
Rhys runs after him
Rhys follows him out of the door.
"Dai was really upset!"
At Maes-y-Deri, Debbie is laughing about Dai’s reactions to the protest, and the fact that Mathew looked rather silly;  
"Something or someone must have cheered you up"
“You’re very jolly tonight – something or someone must have cheered you up,” Mark comments.   
"It's just a fad with Ricky"
She replies that she is still angry about Ricky, but has been thinking;  “It’s a fad, you’ll see – he feels like a hero after that business with Gwern, 
"He'll soon change his mind"
but he’ll change his mind by the end of the week.”   Mark points out that he is as stubborn as his mother, but Debbie makes it quite clear, “Ricky is not going to be a nurse – 
"If he doesn't phone the college, I will!"
“I’ll give him a couple of days, and if he hasn’t phoned the college, I’ll do it!”
"You can't do that, Debs"
Mark protests that she cannot do that, but Debbie is determined;  
She takes her phone to the shower . . .
then she says she is going for a shower, but is careful to take her phone with her, 
. . . which Mark finds unusual
which puzzles Mark.
"Rhys has told me everything, Ffion"
Hywel and Rhys have arrived for their showdown with Ffion;  “Rhys has told me everything, Ffion,” Hywel begins, 
"I didn't want to hurt you"
and she assures him that she did not want to hurt him.   “Yes, that’s what Rhys said,” he goes on, “I’m really disappointed in you.”
"You should listen to what Dad says"
Rhys intervenes to stop Ffion making any further admissions;  
"You didn't have the guts to tell me!"
his father continues, “I can’t believe you let me misunderstand the situation – and then you didn’t have the guts to tell me how you feel, and get Rhys to do it for you!”
Ffion is rather confused here
Ffion is confused, so Rhys replies for her, 
"I had to tell him what you told me"
“I had to tell him what you told me today – that you are not interested in him – that the kiss between you was a mistake.”   Now she better understands the situation.
"What you did was cowardly!"
Hywel is not finished yet;  “What came over you?   Aren’t we close enough that you could tell me yourself?   What you did was cowardly!   Imagine how I felt when my son told me I was making a fool of myself!”
"I was to blame, Hywel"
Ffion admits she was to blame, and that she should have made herself clearer.   
He realises he was too optimistic
Hywel considers that he was at fault too, thinking that they could rekindle things. “Please don’t let this come between us,” she urges him, 
"I think the world of you – as a friend"
“I think the world of you – as a friend,” 
Ffion glowers at Rhys
and as they hug, she looks disapprovingly at Rhys.
"I would have enjoyed seeing Dad's face!"
DJ is sorry that he was not there to witness the confrontation;  “I would have enjoyed seeing Dad’s face!   Don’t worry about Diane – she knows that Dai never listens.   Sometimes you have to show him, rather than tell him.”
"I'm being given a contract"
Mathew announces that he is being given a contract, and DJ points out that the photo looked good online, so he should be pleased.   
"Tesni didn't even 'like' the photo on Facebook!"
Mathew, however, is worried about Tesni, who has not replied to a single text all day;  “She didn’t even ‘like’ the photo on Facebook!”
"Ffion kissed Dad last week!"
Rhys comes in, looking downhearted, and goes to sit with Mathew;  he reveals that Ffion kissed his father last week.   
"She cops off with Dad!"
“I just don’t understand her – one minute everything’s great, and then she cops off with Dad!”   
"Tesni's been ignoring me all day"
Mathew says that Tesni has been ignoring him all day, and Rhys scathingly replies, “That’s what they’re like – they play games and drive us mad – 
"I don't know why we bother with them at all!"
“I don’t know why we bother with them at all!”
Guto's algebra is rather challenging
At number 10, Guto is having problems with his algebra homework, so Tesni tells him to bring it to her;  
"Tes, I know you don't want to talk about Mathew . . ."
as she looks at the iPad, he comments, “Tes, I know you don’t want to talk about Mathew . . .”   
"Right, I'm not going to help you!"
She tosses down the iPad, and decides she will not help him.
"I don't understand why . . ."
“I just don’t understand why . . .” he begins, and she exclaims the problem is that he does not understand.   
"He deserves an answer"
“He deserves an answer – I don't like lying to him,” Guto protests.
"You go out with him, if you love him so much!"
“Why are you so bothered?” Tesni demands, “You go out with him, if you love him so much!”   He begs her to help him to understand why she does not want to talk to him.   He appreciates that it is embarrassing.
"He'll finish with me – and think I'm disgusting"
“I’m scared, OK?” she answers, “If I tell him what’s wrong with me, he’ll finish with me – and think I’m disgusting.   
"The only option I have is to finish with him"
“It’s possible, so the only option I have is to finish with him.”   
Guto gives her a brotherly hug
Guto gives her a brotherly hug.