6 May 2019

Jaclyn does some dress alterations
Jaclyn is working on Tesni’s costume for the May Day Fayre, but Tesni protests, “I look stupid – you’ve gone OTT with this competition!   I don’t feel like going to the Fayre anyway.”   
"And whose fault is that?"
Gerwyn reminds her that she has been sulking all weekend;  “And whose fault is that?” she demands angrily.
There is a knock at the door, 
Mathew is full of admiration
and Mathew is very impressed by Tesni’s outfit;  “Look, Tes, I’m sorry about what I said last week – it was insensitive and stupid.   I would have come over sooner, but I was too ashamed.”   
Tesni does not want to talk about it
She does not want to talk about it, but he begs, “Please, I promise not to mention your condition again – can we please forget about it?  
"Please say you're coming to the Fayre"
“Please say you’re coming to the Fayre.”
"Yes, but not with you!"
“I am coming, but not with you,” she replies, and disappears upstairs: 
"She's going through a tough time, Mathew"
Jaclyn points out that she is going through a tough time, and Mathew wishes he could help her.   
"Try this on, Mathew"
Jaclyn has an idea for a costume for him.
"I thought of offering Reiki sessions"
Gwyneth comes into the shop as Eileen and Kath are sorting some vegetables, and asks, “I know it’s short notice, but I thought of offering Reiki sessions at the Fayre, so people can experience something different.”
"Sorry, all the stalls have been taken"
Eileen agrees that it is short notice and emphasises that all the stalls have been taken;  Gwyneth would really enjoy being part of it, 
"I want to give something back to the community"
and maintains that she wants to give something back to the community.   
Kath looks rather sceptical about this, and Eileen makes an excuse to go to the store-room.
"A chance to reconnect with people"
Gwyneth says, “I thought the Fayre would be a chance to reconnect with people,” 
"Ask Jim if he wants help with the parking"
and Kath suggests she could always ask Jim if he wants help with the parking;  Gwyneth thinks that asking Jim is a good idea, and hurries out of the shop.
"It's going to be so embarrassing!"
Izzy remarks, “It will be so embarrassing – I can’t wait for it to be over!” 
"We shall be fine"
but Sioned is convinced that, with all their rehearsals they will be fine.   
"I've lost my voice"
Then DJ comes in and reveals that he has lost his voice;  they naturally assume that he is joking, but he is not.
“How can I sing if I can’t even talk,” he croaks, 
"Izzy, you'll have to sing instead!"
and Sioned comes to the conclusion that Izzy will have to sing instead, something which she flatly refuses.   
"There's only one thing for it – whisky!"
DJ whispers how sorry he is, and that there is only one thing for it;  “Whisky!”
Jim is becoming rather tangled up
In the farmhouse, Jim is sorting out the bunting while Eifion prepares the punch;  Gwyneth arrives and gives Jim a hand, as he complains that he is not halfway there yet.   
"I had hoped to offer Reiki sessions"
“I had hoped to offer Reiki sessions, but the stalls are all taken,” she begins, “But perhaps I could be in here – a private space would do – but only if it is all right with you.”
"You'll have to talk to Eileen first"
He says that she will have to talk to Eileen first, but she assures him she has already seen her, so Jim tells her there will be no problem, exactly what Gwyneth had intended.
Siôn is pleased to see Greta
Out in the barn, the Fayre-goers are gathering, in their various historic costumes, and Siôn greets Greta;  Tyler informs him that Iolo has had a call-out.   
"Until Anita apologises, we don't want to know!"
“Are you surprised that we haven’t called at Y Felin?” Tyler comments, but Siôn wants to put all this behind them;  “Until Anita apologises, we don’t want to know!” is Tyler’s reply.
"Are you still on the whisky?"
Sioned locates DJ, and finds that he is still on the whisky;  he maintains that this is his only hope.   
She confiscates the flask of whisky
“You may be mute, but I won’t let you be drunk as well!” she orders, and confiscates his hip flask.   “Mam always keeps this disgusting old-fashioned syrup in the house – it’s worth a try, isn’t it?”
Mathew helps himself
Mathew comes in and helps himself to a cake from Kath’s tray, 
"At least it's made you smile"
then Tesni informs him that he looks completely ridiculous.   “At least, it’s made you smile,” he replies, and he feeds her a part of the cake.
"Do you think you should, Tes?"
Her father is nearby, and interferes, “Do you think you should?   Careful, too much sugar can cause another flare-up!”   Kath is watching, and insists that bit of sugar will not do any harm, but Gerwyn explains, “She’s got a condition, and sweet things can make it worse.”
"Just leave it, Dad!"
“Just leave it, Dad,” exclaims Tesni, but he continues that it is important that people understand, and that he is only thinking of her.   “By embarrassing me again?” she shouts, and hurries away.
Gwyneth practises her ritual
In the kitchen at Penrhewl, Gwyneth is sitting with her eyes closed, holding a couple of smouldering incense sticks, 
"What's that funny smell?"
as Eileen walks in and wonders what the funny smell is.   
"Sandalwood – it's good for Reiki"
“Sandalwood – it’s good for Reiki,” Gwyneth replies, and Eifion reports that the sessions have been popular.
“I thought I explained to you,” says Eileen, then, turning to Jim, asks, “Did you say she could come here?”   
"I thought you had discussed it"
He thought Eileen had discussed it;  she agrees that she did, and told Gwyneth there were not any stalls left.   
"That was before I thought of doing it in here"
Gwyneth points out that was before she had the idea of doing it inside the farmhouse.
Eileen orders her out straightaway, but at that moment Sioned and DJ arrive;  
"DJ's lost his voice – we're desperate!"
“Mam, have you got that sore throat syrup – DJ’s lost his voice – we’re desperate!”
"Perhaps Reiki could help"
Gwyneth interrupts, “I don’t want to interfere – perhaps Reiki could help.”   
"No, I don't think so!"
DJ is dismissive of this suggestion, but Jim points out he does not have a lot of choice, so DJ succumbs to this ‘treatment’.   
"This will do you the world of good"
“This will do you the world of good!” Gwyneth predicts, “Trust me!”   
DJ appears reluctant to trust Gwyneth 
He looks very apprehensive.
"This punch is lovely"
Izzy is very impressed by the punch, 
"Fresh Penrhewl strawberries"
and Eifion informs her, “Made from fresh Penrhewl strawberries, a bit of gin and prosecco.”   
"I'll have one of these"
Gerwyn is also enjoying the punch, and returns to collect another one.
Gerwyn is knocking them back
Jaclyn tells him to slow down, but he maintains that he is just enjoying himself;  
"Like Tes was trying to do!"
“Like Tes was trying to do, until you poured cold water on things,” she reminds him, “I warned you about that last week, but you're doing it again.   I wanted to come here, put everything behind us, and enjoy.”
“You need some TLC as well – that’s why I’ve booked you a Reiki session!” he reveals, 
"At £15 a time?"
but, as Eileen is listening nearby, Jaclyn is concerned about the £15 charge.   
Eileen is going to sort this out
Eileen hands them her tray of cheese on sticks, and stalks off back to the house.
"Remember, we also do outside catering"
Kath is selling Cae Glas produce, and reminds a customer that they also do outside catering;  
"Strawberry icecream, please"
Mathew comes to her and asks for a small tub of strawberry ice cream, which he takes away.
So-called alternative therapy . . .
Meanwhile, inside the farmhouse, Gwyneth is practising her Reiki mumbo-jumbo, 
. . . which is not proven to do anything
waving her hands over DJ’s head;  then she announces, “There we go – I’ve finished.   Get up when you’re ready – you might feel a bit lightheaded.”
"My voice has come back!"
He slowly stands up, and admits, “I feel as if I’ve just woken up,” and then realises, “My voice has come back!”   
The problem is alleged to be his 'throat chakra'
She explains that his ‘throat chakra’ was blocked, and that he will feel better now;  DJ cannot believe it, but she maintains that it suggests he has a problem with communicating, 
"Holding back from talking to someone?"
wondering if he is holding back from talking to someone.
"Giving something back to the community, indeed!"
Eileen storms into the kitchen, and demands, “Don’t you pay her a penny!   Wanting to give something back to the community, indeed!   How dare you charge people?”   
"Business is business, Eileen"
Gwyneth wonders if she is giving away the Cae Glas produce for free, pointing out that business is business.
"You'd better get on and do the song"
Then Eileen is astounded to find that DJ’s voice has returned to normal, and he is adamant that it is worth every penny, so she tells him to get on with the song, 
Some money changes hands
then pays Gwyneth for what she has, allegedly, done.
Mathew approaches Tesni 
Tesni is sitting on the bench near the shop when Mathew comes over;  “I wanted you to have this before it melted,” he tells her, 
"Oh, it's my favourite, strawberry!"
and she finds that it is her favourite, strawberry.   He has also brought over a bottle of punch to wash it down;  “Seeing you weren’t at the Fayre, I brought the Fayre to you,” he says.
"I couldn't stay there after Dad embarrassed me"
“I couldn’t stay there after Dad embarrassed me in front of everyone,” she explains, “Why does he always have to interfere?   There is no need to worry – I’m fine,” and Mathew is pleased to hear it.   
"Let's forget about it and enjoy ourselves"
He asks her to come back to the Fayre, so that they can forget about it, and enjoy themselves.
"You just don't get it, do you?"
“As simple as that?” she replies, and he promises not to talk about her condition;  he wants to forget about it and just be normal, but she exclaims, “You just don’t get it, do you?   I can’t just forget about it – I have to live with it – it’s constantly in the back of my mind!   
"Just leave me alone!"
“You obviously can’t handle it, so just leave me alone!”   She gets up and walks away.
The singing is going well . . .
At the Fayre, everyone is singing lustily, 
. . . with the villagers in good voice
“We give praise happily, better times are coming, hallelujah.   
And after the cold weather, we reap the rewards,
There are favourable signs ahead.”
"Now a very famous duo . . ."
The master of ceremonies, none other than Jim, announces that they have now a very famous duo – in Cwmderi, at least;  “Accompanying them is Izzy – 
". . . Sioned and DJ!"
“and the singers themselves, here they are, Sioned and DJ!”
They sing their song about the cuckoo and other things
“Hail, good family, give us charity to sing;
The corn and meadow is blooming, growing on the land.
The cuckoo sings its best song, through the evening and morning;
Not far from our doors are the clear days of May.”
"The Twmpath is about to begin!"
Then Iori takes the stage, and invites everyone to put on their dancing shoes, as the Twmpath [which translates as Folk Dance] is about to begin.   
"Very tuneful – except the piano"
Eifion tells Izzy that the duet was very tuneful, except for the piano, and it is a pity she refused to sing a duet with him;  
"Perhaps I'll dance with you"
“Perhaps I’ll dance with you, if you’re lucky,” she replies
"I don't want to talk"
Mathew goes to number 10 to talk to Tesni, although she makes it clear she does not want to talk;  “I just want you to realise I’m on your side,” he says, 
"You're on the side of 'normal' people
but she is convinced that he is on the side of ‘normal’ people, and she does not fit into that little box.
"It's a problem for me!"
“You want something easy, simple, a bit of fun – but my condition is really complex.   It may not be a problem to you, but it is a problem for me!   I can’t have a relationship with someone who can’t talk about it.”   
"I thought that was what you wanted"
Mathew confesses that he avoided talking about it, because he thought that what she wanted;  he wants them to enjoy themselves.   “I’d talk about colitis all day, every day, if it meant talking to you!   Tes, I adore you.”
"I'm not 'normal', and may never be 'normal'"
With tears in her eyes, she informs him that she is not ‘normal’, and may never be ‘normal’;  “It’s not too late for you to run away, you know – I’m the one stuck with this, not you.”   
"I'm not going anywhere, Tes"
He assures her that he is not going anywhere;  if she wants a treat every now and then, he will be with her to face the consequences.
She realises that he is serious;  
"As serious as anyone can be with melted icecream!"
“As serious as anyone can be, with balloons and melted icecream in a bag,” he answers with a smile.   She had forgotten about the icecream, so Mathew suggests, 
"Come with me and we'll get a fresh one"
“Come back to the Fayre with me, and we’ll get fresh one – if we leave now, we’ll be in time for the Twmpath.”   
Harmony seems to be restored
They kiss.
The dancing is reaching fever pitch, and Sioned warns DJ that she does not want to dance;  “I think everyone enjoyed the duet,” she says, 
"I'm glad my voice came back in time!"
and DJ is glad his voice came back in time.   “Gwyneth must know her stuff then,” remarks Sioned, 
"I think it was the whisky that did it!"
but DJ is convinced that it was the whisky that worked in the end.
Sioned is yawning
They are both tired, and DJ admits, 
"I couldn't sleep last night"
“I couldn’t sleep last night – I was tossing and turning.   Come on, I’ll walk you home.”   He will not take no for an answer.
Gerwyn is in a state of inebriation
Gerwyn, looking rather the worse for wear, comes to apologise to Tesni for his interference, but only wants to protect her.   
"Don't embarrass me like that again, OK?"
“Please don’t embarrass me like that again, OK?” she tells him.   
His attempts to dance are shortlived
He tries to dance with her, but she is very reluctant, and says that this is Mathew’s dance;  
Gerwyn is much more sociable when he is drunk
Gerwyn instead drinks another glass of punch.
DJ gets his whisky back
When they reach the shop flat, Sioned returns his flask, and apologises for having confiscated it;  “Thank goodness you did, or I would have been steaming drunk!” DJ replies.
"Do you want to know why I couldn't sleep?"
As he gets down some glasses from the cupboard, he says, “Do you really want to know why I couldn’t sleep last night?   And why I lost my voice?   
"I was nervous I was singing with you"
“Because I was nervous that I was singing with you.   I made myself ill, thinking about it – because I like you.   
"I really do like you!"
“Listen, Sioned, I really do like you.   I just wanted to ask – perhaps you would go out with me?”
This takes Sioned by surprise
Sioned is almost speechless, and he wishes he had not said anything;  “DJ, you know I think the world of you – 
"You're the best friend I've got"
“you’re the best friend I’ve got.”   He groans, so she asks him, “Does our friendship means nothing to you?”   
"I was hoping there was something more"
He was hoping that perhaps there was something more;  
He wishes he had stayed quiet
“I’m sorry that my voice has come back now – I should have stayed quiet.”
"If we're both single on my next birthday . . ."
Sioned proposes, “Listen, if we’re both still single on my next birthday [which falls on 18 January], we’ll go out on a date – deal?”   
DJ will drink to that
DJ will drink to that, but will have a long wait.