30 April 2019

Ricky's phone rings
It is breakfast time at Maes-y-Deri, and Ricky’s phone is ringing;  
"Ricky!"
by the time Kath calls to him, and he comes downstairs, it has stopped.   
"Why didn't you call me sooner?"
“Why didn’t you call me sooner?” he demands, and Kath can see by his expression that it was important.   
"Someone you met over the weekend?"
“Someone you met at the concert over the weekend, was it?” she asks, but he points out it that actually it was a festival, and it was not a girl he met.   
"I'll walk to the village with you"
Kath says she will accompany him on his way to the café, as she has a shift at the shop.   
Debbie checks that they have gone . . .
As soon as they have gone, Debbie takes out her phone and dials a number;  
. . . then phones someone
“Hiya, love,” she says, “Sorry I couldn’t text back – there was someone here.   Are you OK?”
"You're not ready for work, Izzy!"
Izzy comes downstairs for breakfast, and her mother is panicking as she is not ready for the first day at her new job;  “You don't want to be late on your first day! You have to make a good impression.”   
"Stop hassling me, Mam"
Izzy argues that there is plenty of time;  “Sit down, drink your coffee and stop hassling me!”   Gaynor is glad that she is involved in this May Day celebration, 
"You can get one up on Siôn White"
as she will be right in the middle of things, and that will show Siôn White.
A present from her mother
Her mother has bought her a present – some files for her new job, and Izzy urges her to sit down and eat her breakfast, 
"It's very exciting!"
but Gaynor regards it as very exciting.   
"I'll go and get myself ready"
“Right, I had better go and get myself ready to save the community’s future!” Izzy declares.
"Cup of tea, Jim?"
Sioned is boiling the kettle when Jim comes into the farmhouse;  she reports that Huwi-John is fast asleep, and adds, “Mam phoned – she said a lot of Carmarthen’s stallholders were interested in the May Day Fayre.”
Siôn arrives at the farm
Siôn arrives, wanting to catch them before they were too busy, 
"I've been busy since five!"
and Jim boasts that he has been busy since 5:00am.   “I’ve been thinking about the May Day Fayre, and would like to offer some help,” says Siôn, “I remembered that I collected a few May Day carols for some research I did, and managed to find them.
"That brings back memories"
This brings back memories for Jim;  “Grandmother Brechfa used to sing them.”   
"Carols were an important part of the celebration"
Siôn tells them that carols used to be an important part of the celebration.   
Jim bursts forth into song
Jim tries to recall the words, “How did it go?   
“Farewell to the cold winter, and also the spring,
Two long sullen seasons, and freezing all the while;
Well, here is the spiritual summer . . .”
"Very impressive, Jim!"
At this point, his memory fails him, but Siôn is very impressed;  Jim tries to think of some more of the carols, 
"You're likely to be here some time"
and Sioned says she will give Siôn a cup of tea, as he is likely to be there some time.
Ricky is on the phone
Ricky is standing on the street corner, by the defibrillator, and is speaking on his phone;  “Yes, I thought about it, and that is what I want to do – definitely.   Is there a way of e-mailing the forms, rather than posting them?   No – if I have to post them, that is fine.   
"I'll sign them and send them straight back"
I’ll sign them and send them straight back to you.”
Jim is singing some rather risqué words
When Sioned returns from checking on Huwi, Jim is in full flight, singing, 
“Oh, lady, hear me gloat – and let me see your petticoat!   
"Wait until you hear the verses!"
“That was only the chorus – wait until you hear the verses,” he goes on.   Sioned is sure that Siôn had something more respectable in mind.
“Mam-gu Brechfa was very respectable, I’ll have you know!” replies Jim, 
"Three times every Sunday – and she went to chapel too!"
“Three times every Sunday – and she went to chapel too!”   Siôn also has some duets, but Jim points out that Eileen would not sing them with him.   
Siôn thinks that it might be more traditional if a young couple sang them;  
"Someone like Sioned"
“Someone like Sioned.”   She rules out the idea straightaway, but Jim urges her to think of Cae Glas’s good name;  her mother would love it.
She is not enthusiastic
Her opposition softens slightly, but she reminds them they will have to find someone to sing with her.   
Then Jim starts singing about the cuckoo
Siôn finds another carol, which Jim begins to sing;
“The cuckoo sings her best song, 
in the late morning, not far from our door,” 
and Siôn is pleased to see that it is clean, anyway.
"You went to the music festival in Cardiff, didn't you?"
In the café, Izzy asks Ricky, “You went to the music festival in Cardiff, didn’t you?”   He reports that it was great, and there were loads of bands there, 
"The best band was Y Sybs"
the best of which was ‘Y Sybs’.   Sioned comes in for her meeting with Izzy, who is looking through leaflets for inspiration.
"I'm sure your mother's pleased"
“Very professional – I’m sure your mother’s pleased!” Sioned comments, and Izzy describes Cwmderi as boring.   
"This is your chance to spice things up!"
“I’d say this is your chance to spice things up!” suggests Sioned, 
"Would Garry host a gig in the Deri?"
and Izzy wonders if Garry would host a gig in the Deri.   
"If enpough people go, he won't complain"
“If you get enough people to go, he won’t complain.”
Izzy has everything worked out
Izzy visualises holding a couple of gigs and building it up over the summer, to have a festival in September, which Sioned likens to, “Glasto-Cwmderi!   Why should the Gin Club crinklies have all the fun?”   She predicts that Izzy is going to enjoy this.
Again, Britt is in a world of her own
Britt is in the shop staring fixedly at something, so Kath asks if she is OK;  
"I've forgotten what I came in for"
“I’ve forgotten what I came in here for,” Britt confesses, and Kath says that she sometimes goes upstairs, and cannot remember why she is there.   She suggests sugar or eggs, coffee, tea, 
"I think it was milk"
and Britt remembers that it was milk.   
"You must be disappointed with Colin not coming home"
“You must be disappointed, with Colin not coming home,” Kath sympathises, “Everyone knows he shouldn’t be in there.”   
Siôn looks very pleased with himself
Then Siôn comes in, looking very cheerful, and Britt ambles out without buying anything.   He asks Kath if Britt is all right, 
"Britt's upset about this Colin business"
and the reply is, “I’m not sure, no – she’s upset about this Colin business.”
"Can you put this up for me?"
He wants her to put up a poster for him;  the May Day Fayre needs an accompanist.   
"I'm a dab hand on the cello"
With a straight face, Kath informs him that she is a dab hand on the cello;  “I’ve done all the grades – at school I had a ‘Highly Commended’, and everything.”
"Do you still play?"
Siôn wonders if she still plays, and with a smile she replies, “Good grief, John, for someone so brainy, you’re extremely gullible!   
"I've never been near a cello, have I?"
I’ve never been near a cello, have I?   But I am great on the kazoo!”
Sioned is about to leave, after her discussion with Izzy;  
"Would Y Sybs suit a gig in the Deri?"
Ricky is asked, “Do you think Y Sybs would suit a gig in the Deri?”   He considers that it would be great, if Izzy could get them.   
"Izzy can persuade anyone!"
Sioned says that Izzy can persuade anyone, and Ricky maintains that it is just what they need in this dump.
"It's all right for you – off to college for three years"
“It’s all right for you – you’ll be off to college – to party for three years,” Sioned comments, 
Ricky is pondering
and Ricky looks thoughtful, with Izzy asking if he is all right.
"Living at home with Mam and Dad"
“Yes, I was miles away,” he tells her, “You know what it’s like, living at home with Mam and Dad.”   
"A Sergeant Major on speed!"
Izzy understands, having a father in the clink, and a mother who is like a Sergeant Major on speed.   “It doesn’t help that all my school friends live away,” he goes on.
"You'll soon be out of the place"
She reminds him that he will soon be out of the place, at college, but he points out, “It’s not quite that simple.   
"Mam and Dad will go bonkers!"
“The thing is – don’t tell anyone – but I’m not going to study Law next year.   Mam and Dad will go bonkers – I’ve pulled out of the course.”
"We're celebrating Izzy's first day"
In the shop, Gaynor tells Kath that they are celebrating Izzy’s first day in her new job.   
"Aaron wasn't in school today"
Britt comes in to inform Gaynor that she is sorry Aaron was not in school;  “I didn’t have a chance to phone – 
"He's only got a cold"
“he’s only got a cold, that’s all.”
Siôn's appeal for an accompanist
Then Gaynor notices the leaflets on the counter, and Kath informs her, “John White’s looking for a accompanist to some songs.”   
Now Britt appears to be studying the bread
Meanwhile, Britt is staring blankly at the loaves of bread on display.   
"I know just the person Siôn is looking for
Gaynor says that she may know just the person Siôn is looking for.
Kath asks whether Britt wants semi-skimmed or full fat milk, 
"I think I wanted some bread"
but Britt cannot remember even mentioning milk, but thinks she wanted some bread.   
"I've got something to tell you"
Ricky is very quiet at the dinner table, and says that he is not hungry;  “Well, I’ve got something to tell you – it’s not the end of the world, 
"I've decided I don't want to be a solicitor"
“but, well, I’ve decided I don’t want to be a solicitor.”
"You've got a college place"
“What do you mean?” demands his mother, “You’ve got a place in college and everything.”   He replies that he is not taking it, 
"What's going on, Rick?"
and Mark wants to know what is going on.   
"I've pulled out of the course"
“I don’t want to be a solicitor – and I’ve already pulled out of the course,” Ricky continues.   
"This was your chance to make something of yourself!"
As predicted, Debbie is furious that he is rejecting the chance to make something of himself.   She is adamant that he cannot change his mind just like that, but Ricky points out that he can;  
"Better now than after the course starts"
“It’s better to do it now than after the course starts.   I’ll still be going to college, but not to do Law – I’ve just changed course.”
"I am going to do nursing"
Debbie demands what he is going to do, and when he tells her that it is nursing, she is, temporarily, speechless.
"Don't go overboard, Mam – a job is a job"
Izzy urges her mother not to go overboard, as a job is a job, 
"You've done so well on your first day!"
but Gaynor insists that she has done so well on her first day and has some excellent ideas.   “It was a ‘coup’ to get Garry to agree to host gigs in the Deri,” Izzy admits, “This band, Y Sybs, are really special.”
"They don't get paid half as much as they deserve!"
Debbie is by now in full flow;  “Do you realise how hard nurses have to work?   They don’t get paid half what they deserve!   
"People with money make their mark!"
“It’s people with money who make their mark in this world, not skivvies!”
"I don't want to make my mark!"
Ricky stresses that he does not want to make his mark, and Mark wants to know what has caused all this.   “Loads of things – the first aid course – helping Gwern last week.   
"You can still brag your son's at University!"
“I’m still going to college, so you can still brag that your son is at university!   You’re not being fair!”
"I could hear you from the top of the street!"
Kath has just come in, and wants to know what all the noise is about;  “I could hear you from the top of the street!” she complains.
“He’s throwing his future away – that’s what’s going on!” rages Debbie.   
"Whatever he's done can't be that bad!"
Kath is going to sit down, and wants to be told what is going on, as whatever Ricky has done cannot be that bad.
"You're so fickle and unpredictable"
Gaynor and Izzy are cooking, and consider themselves to be a good team;  “When we’re not getting on each other’s nerves,” Gaynor adds, “You’re so fickle and unpredictable.”   
"You're a control freak!"
Izzy calls her mother a control freak, which is proved to be true when Gaynor says, “I saw an advert in the shop for a accompanist for the May Day Fayre – 
"I phoned Siôn and told him you'd do it"
I phoned Siôn and told him you’d do it.   He was over the moon – you’ve got a practice at Penrhewl on Thursday morning.”
"Let me decide what I want to do with my life!"
As might be expected, Izzy is furious;  “Mam, will you let me decide what I want to do with my life?   I haven’t played for ages!”   Gaynor maintains that it is only a bit of fun.
"Look at the opportunity you're missing!"
Kath has joined in with the condemnation of Ricky;  “What’s wrong with you?   Look at the opportunity you’re missing!”   
He reminds her that it is his life, so it is his choice;  “I didn’t just come up with the idea this morning!” he insists.   Mark calls for calm, and points out that he is still going to college, and that it is a fantastic thing to do.   
"He might become a doctor"
If he does really well, he might become a doctor, but Ricky makes it abundantly clear, 
"I don't want to be a doctor!"
“I dont want to study for seven years to be a doctor – I want to be a nurse.   What’s so terrible about being a nurse?”
Debbie agrees that it is a hard and amazing job, helping people;  
"But you need money in this world, Rick!"
“But you need money in this world, Rick!”   He wonders why she is so obsessed with money, but she goes on, “I can’t believe you’re doing this to us!   After all the savings we’ve made!”
"The money you lost in Spain?"
“The money you lost on the investment in Spain?” enquires Ricky, “I’m the one who had to stay at home for year to save up – so don’t try and make me feel guilty!”   
"You've done it now, boy"
Debbie rushes upstairs, and Kath says that he has done it now.
"And you pull this stunt!"
Mark points out that he has been working his socks off, organising a party to cheer her up;  “And you pull this stunt!”   
"Why will no-one listen to me?"
Ricky wonders why no-one in this house listens to him.
"Tell them you've made a mistake"
Kath suggests that he contact the college in the morning and tell them he has made a mistake;  Ricky’s mind is made up, 
"And I won't be there either!"
“It isn’t going to be much of a party, is it?   No Liam, no Vicky – and you know what?   I won’t be there either!   Why should I come after today?   Mam won’t listen to me, and you’re not much better!   
"I hate this place, and can't wait to leave!"
“I hate this place, and I can’t wait to leave!”