14 May 2019

"You never know, it could be popular"
As Tyler comes out of the door of number 7, he is on the phone to someone;  “You never know, it could be popular – OK, I’ll have a word with her.”   
"Carrots, nutmeg, eggs!"
Anita comes out of the café, repeating to herself, “Carrots, nutmeg, eggs!” crosses the road and bumps into Mark, who is coming out of the shop.   
"Thinking about that fortune left in your garden?"
He wonders if she is thinking about the fortune left in her garden, which Ricky told him about.   
She is surprised to hear that there was a car in number 10’s garden;  
"Gerwyn thought it was worth something"
Mark is quick to point out, “It was a toy, Ricky said, but Gerwyn thought it was worth something.”   Debbie is approaching, and he greets her, “Birthday girl!”
"My plan is to stay 49 for ever"
“My plan is to stay 49 for ever – and get a free fry-up from Ricky,” she replies, 
"Sorry about the lack of fuss"
and Mark apologises if she is disappointed by the lack of fuss, but he will make it up to her.   She insists that she does not want any fuss, 
"I'm not going to be 50!"
and has decided not to be 50.
Ricky practises his artistic talents
In the café, Ricky presents Tyler with his flat white coffee, on which he has crafted a heart, after having been practising.   
"One birthday breakfast for the best mother in the world"
Debbie comes in and orders, “One birthday breakfast for the best mother in the world, please, and a coffee – and one of those green smoothies, to balance it out.”
Tyler asks Ricky if there has been much interest in the Art Evening being run by Izzy;  
"Do you know who the model is?"
“Nobody will agree to go until they know who the model is,” Ricky replies, “Do you know?”   
"No – but it's the art that's important"
Tyler does not, but maintains that all that is important is the art.
Ricky takes the coffee across to his mother, and kisses her;  
"Why is there no heart on my coffee?"
she complains that he has not put a heart on her coffee, but he says he is too busy.
Before opening time at the Deri, there is a hammering on the door and Garry lets Colin in;  
"I hope you're not carrying the bug Britt's got"
“I hope you’re not carrying the bug Britt’s got, because I don’t want it,” he says.
"There is no bug – she's been sectioned!"
After a pause, Colin tells him, “There is no bug – I lied yesterday.   Britt is ill, seriously ill – she wants to see you at the hospital.   She’s been sectioned!”
"I thought everything was under control"
At first, Garry is speechless, but Colin continues, “You know she hasn’t been herself for a while.”   Garry believed that everything was under control, but is informed, “It isn’t – and you could not have sorted it out.   
"If you had done more for her . . ."
“She’s been like this for weeks – if you had done more, you would have realised how ill she was!”
Garry protests that he did everything to look after them, 
"What?   Dinner once a week?"
but Colin demands, “What?   Dinner once a week?   Did you ask her at all how she was feeling?   Did you talk to Aaron?   If you had, you would know that she had stopped taking her tablets!”
"Aaron should have told me!"
Garry tries to blame Aaron;  “If he knew anything, he should have told me!”
Colin emphasises that he is a boy and was afraid of losing his mother;  
"He should never have been in that situation!"
“He should never have been in that situation – after everything he’s been through!”   Garry is by now looking very troubled, and wonders when she was admitted;  
"She was admitted last Thursday"
“Last Thursday,” is the reply.
"And you're only telling me now?"
“My sister’s been in a psychiatric unit since Thursday, and you’re only telling me now?” Garry shouts, as Dani comes downstairs and wonders what is happening.   
"Cancel everything – I need to see Britt!"
“Cancel everything we’ve got on today,” Garry instructs her, “I need to see Britt!”
"People want to know if the model is a woman"
Izzy comes into the café for a peppermint tea, and Ricky asks her, “Who’s the model?   Is it a woman?”   
"You'll have to come and find out!"
Izzy advises him that he will have to come and find out, then goes to sit by Tyler, 
"There are too many pervs in this place!"
remarking that there are too many pervs in this place.
Tyler wants to talk to her about this life drawing class, and she reveals to him that the model is a man, but he is not to tell Ricky.   
"We should postpone it for now"
Tyler continues, “I’ve been discussing it with a few board members, and some feel that we should postpone it for now.   Don’t get me wrong – I think it’s a great idea, but some feel that as your job is so new, we should stick to traditional ideas.”
"Right, I'll organise a crochet group, shall I?"
“Old-fashioned, you mean!” scoffs Izzy, “Right, I’ll cancel it and organise a crochet group!”   
"Ready to see a naked man with a rose between his teeth"
He would prefer it if she held back until Cwmderi is ready to see a naked man with a rose between his teeth.
Debbie looks very pleased to receive . . .
As Tyler leaves the café for school, Debbie is receiving another text message, 


. . . this invitation for tonight
asking, “Are you are coming over tonight?”
"I heard you've been digging in the garden"
Guto is surprised when Anita arrives at number 10;  “I heard you have been digging out the back,” she says, 
"I cleared everything up afterwards"
and he assures her that he has cleared everything up.   She goes on, “I just heard that your father found a toy car in the garden – if he has, “I think it belongs to Wil, my grandson.   He used to play with them out there all the time – I think he might like to have it back.”
The 'valuable' car in question . . .
Then she sees the car in question on the table, and picks it up, a Morris Mini Traveller;  
. . . which seems to have sentimental value to Anita
she is becoming very emotional, and Guto did not want to upset her.   “A lot has happened since I last saw this,” she recalls, 
"You take it – Dad can find another one"
and Guto tells her to take it, as he is sure that his father can find another one.   Anita is very grateful, 
He expects some flak from his father
but Guto looks worried.
Izzy is not happy
Gaynor returns home to find Izzy working on the laptop;  
"Tyler wants me to cancel the Art Evening"
“Tyler wants me to cancel the Art Evening,” she complains, “The board feels that I should organise more traditional events.   It’s as if they think people here aren’t ready to paint naked men!   We’ve all seen one!”
"Some have seen more than others!"
Her mother remarks, “Some more than others!” and Izzy is determined to make them change their minds.
Colin is given a hug
Then Colin arrives, and is greeted by Izzy, who has been trying to phone him;  he gives the excuse that he has been rather busy.   
"I saw what happened on Thursday night"
“With Britt!   I saw what happened on Thursday night, Dad – how is she?” Izzy enquires, “Don’t worry, I haven’t told anyone except Mam.”
Colin paints a very optimistic picture of Britt 
Colin maintains that Britt is doing great, and everyone seems to be happy;  “But there we go, that’s Britt, isn’t it?   Plenty of fight in her.   And I’m fine.”
"Are children allowed at the Art Evening?"
He is about to leave, when he remembers he was going to ask about the Art Evening;  “Are children allowed?   Aaron’s a bit of an artist, like his brother – I thought it might be something for us both to do together.”
"It's a 'Life Drawing Class', Dad!'
Izzy explains that it is a Life Drawing Class, and he is shocked;  
"A naked person?   I'd better forget it, then!"
“A naked person?   Right – I’d better forget about it, then!”   She assures her father that they are here for him if he needs anything, and he goes.
Garry uneasily waits to see Britt 
Garry has arrived at the psychiatric unit, and is waiting for Britt to come in;  
Britt comes shuffling in . . .
she is led in by a nurse 
. . . and embraces Garry
and hugs him.   They sit down and he apologises,
"I don't blame you, Gar"
but she says she does not blame him.   He asks if she is OK in there, 
"I can get you a place at a private hospital"
as he can get her a place at a private hospital if she wants.   
"You're going to get me out of here!"
“There’s no need, is there?   You’re going to get me out of here!” she replies.
"Happy birthday, Debs!"
Mark lights five candles on a cake and takes takes it to Debbie, singing happy birthday to her, 
"How many times do I have to tell you?"
but she protests, “Stop it!   How many times do I have to say I don’t want to celebrate?”   He answers that it is only a small cake, and she continues to complain, “Exactly!   There isn’t room for half the number of candles I need!”
She is upset about the card from Liam
He cannot believe she is worried about her age;  “I wasn’t, until I got this card from Liam!” she snarls, and shows it to him.
It reads, “It’s better to be over the hill,” and Mark tries to persuade her they want to celebrate her life.
"Celebrate my life?   I'm not dead!"
“Celebrate my life?   I’m not dead!” she rages, just as Ricky comes in, 
"You like Cream Horns, Mam"
announcing that they had a leftover Cream Horn at the café today, and he thought she would like it.   
"So I can be fat – as well as old?"
“What?   So I can be fat as well as old?” she shouts, “I don’t have to celebrate my birthday – can you please just leave me alone?   
She storms off for a bath
“I’m going for a bath!”
"I've made a huge mistake with this party!"
Mark concludes that he has made a huge mistake organising this party, 
The candles are extinguished
and blows out the candles on the cake.   
"Hello, you"
At the foot of the stairs, Debbie’s phone sounds again, and this time she says, “Hello, you!   
"Not with Dai and Diane upstairs!"
“No – we can’t do it with Dai and Diane upstairs!”
Garry brings cups of tea
At the psychiatric unit, Garry brings Britt a cup of tea;  he helps himself to some of the Chocolate Orange.   
"Do you really want me in a place like this?"
Britt tells him, “Look around, Gar – do you really want me in a place like this?   We always sort things out ourselves – you don’t really want to leave me here!”   
"There is always a choice!"
He replies that he does not have a choice, but Britt insists that there is always a choice.
"You're ill, Britt!"
“You’re ill, Britt!” he tells her, “And I want to help.”
"I really thought I could rely on you, Gar!"
“I really thought I could rely on you!” she says, and he admits that he has let her down recently, but he does not intend to do that again.   
"Don't leave me in here . . ."
Leaning forward in her chair, she pleads with him, “Don’t leave me in here – I’m not like everyone else – Garry, I’m scared!   
". . . let me come home with you!"
“Garry, let me come home with you today!”
This is all too much for Garry
Garry gets up from his chair, 
"You've never been concerned about me!"
and she snarls, “You’ve never been concerned about me.   
"Go on, turn your back on me, like you always do!"
“Go on, turn your back on me, like you always do!” and she dissolves into tears, as he walks out.
"I accept that I'll lose the deposit"
Mark is trying to cancel the arrangements for the party;  “I accept that I’ll lose the deposit, but it’s not right to charge me the full amount!”   
"No, we don't want to cancel the party!"
Ricky has just come in and snatches the phone from his father, pointing out that they do not want to cancel the party.
"You heard what your mother said!"
“You heard what your mother said – she doesn’t want a party,” Mark emphasises, but Ricky replies that they do not listen to everything she says.   
"She hates the fact she's 50!"
“She hates the fact that she’s 50!” Mark repeats.
"What does she enjoy more than a drama?   Attention!"
“Listen to me, Dad!   Mam’s just being a drama queen – and what does she enjoy more than a drama?   Attention!   When she walks into that party, and sees that everything is about her, I don’t think she’ll care if she’s 50 or 500!”
Then he shouts to his mother, “The Chinese is here!   
"She can't even resist a chow mein"
“She can’t even resist a chow mein, let alone a party for her.”   
"Did you get chow mein and curry sauce?"
Ricky remembered to get chow mein and curry sauce, 
"Yes, and poppadoms from the Indian!"
and he even went into the Indian to get poppadoms to go with it.
"Not another word about my birthday"
“I’m happy to have this with a couple of cans – but I don’t want to hear another word about my birthday, all right?” she tells them.
Anita is mentally elsewhere
At the bar in the Deri, Anita’s thoughts are far away;  Guto comes in to apologise to her.   
"Was Wil happy you found the car?"
“Was Wil happy you found the car?” he asks, 
"I haven't phoned him yet"
but she says she has not had a chance to phone him, as he lives in Canada, and is now 15 years old.   
"Would you mind not telling Dad?"
Guto thinks that is rather old for a model car, and asks her for a favour;  “Would you mind not telling Dad that I gave it to you?   
"I'll need some luck – it's a limited edition!"
“Because I’m hoping to find another one before he realises it’s gone.   I’ll need some luck – it’s a limited edition!”
Poor old Colin is exhausted
Colin is asleep on the sofa 
Garry walks in, looking grim
when Garry comes into the flat, looking very solemn;  
"Garry, I didn't realise you were here"
Colin suddenly realises he is there, and sits up.   
"You're responsible for Britt from now on . . ."
“You’re responsible for Britt from now on,” Garry tells him, 
". . . you have to be – I can't do it!"
“You have to be – I can’t do it!”