2 May 2019

"Do you want me to ring the surgery, Tes?"
Jaclyn asks Tesni if she should ring the surgery, but is told that her daughter is feeling better today, and there is no point, anyway.   “What’s this I hear about you finishing with Mathew?” Jaclyn enquires, 
"Oh, Guto's been talking!"
and Tesni realises that Guto has been talking.   
"That Mathew's a good looking boy"
Brenda comments that she likes Mathew, and he is a good looking boy.
"Guto was only thinking of you"
“Guto was only thinking of you – Mathew is a nice boy and you like him, don’t you?” Jaclyn continues, but Tesni will not discuss it, and goes for a shower.
"You've been very quiet this morning"
“You’ve been very quiet this morning – is everything all right?” Jaclyn asks her mother-in-law, 
"I'll help with the washing-up"
and then Brenda volunteers to help with the washing-up, 
"There's definitely something wrong!"
so it is obvious that something is amiss.   
"He was sulking and upsetting everyone!"
Eventually she admits, “Well, I might have told Ger that Tesni is ill – before he went away.   Sorry, but he was sulking and upsetting everyone – I was so angry with him!”   Jaclyn replies that it explains a lot, and Brenda goes on, “There’s no sense hiding these feelings – he needs to pull his socks up!”   
"No, it hasn't helped!"
His wife has been trying to keep things from him for his own good, but it has not helped;  
"I'm feeling a bit stressed"
then Brenda excuses herself from the washing-up, saying that she is going for a lie down instead.   “I hope I can talk some sense into this family of ours,” says Jaclyn.
Mathew is apprehensive about going to APD
Mathew is worried about going to work today, 
"Don't sign any contract until I've seen it!"
but Sioned reminds him, “He can’t sack you – and don’t sign any contract unless I’ve seen it first!   I’m very proud of what you did yesterday.”   
"DJ's voice isn't bad!"
The sound of DJ, singing in the bathroom, can be heard, Mathew comments, “Pavarotti’s off again!”   Sioned reckons that his voice is not bad, 
"I can't sing to save my life"
and Mathew groans, “What do I know?   I can’t sing to save my life.”
"I know – don't sign anything!"
He leaves for APD, and once more Sioned impresses upon him, “Hold your ground, and don’t sign anything!”
Iolo, Tyler and Greta come out of number 7
Iolo and Tyler come out of number 7 with Greta, 
"This keyboard is one of Mam's bonkers ideas!"
and see Izzy coming along the street, carrying her keyboard;  she tells them she is enjoying the job, and is arranging a gig in the Deri next week.   “This keyboard is one of Mam’s bonkers ideas – I’ve got something much more cool and professional in mind for the Deri,” she tells them.
Tyelr cannot resist a dig at Siôn 
When she has walked on, Tyler cannot resist remarking, “I knew we appointed the right person – would Siôn have been able to arrange a gig in his first week?”   Iolo accuses him of being like a dog with a bone, 
"Down!"
and Greta is insistent she wants to get down;  Tyler takes her to Elinor’s.
"I might as well go to Carmarthen"
DJ tells Sioned that he has a day off and wants to make the most of it;  “I think I might as well go to Carmarthen,” he says, 
"Will you come to Penrhewl with me?"
then she asks him for a favour – to go to Penrhewl with her.   
"You know I don't mind helping out at the farm"
“You know I’m willing to help on the farm at any time,” he begins, but she informs him it is not to do farm work, but to sing, which he finds quite surprising;  
"I'll explain on the way"
she will explain on the way.
Siôn likes having cultured visitors
At Y Felin, Anita is pleased to have the place back to themselves, but Siôn remarks, “There’s something nice about having visitors, when they’re interesting people – the Williamsons were extremely cultured.”   
"But I still have to tidy up after them"
She points out that, cultured or not, she still has to tidy up after them, but there is no hurry as they have no more bookings until next week.
"Perhaps we could invite Iolo and Tyler over"
“Do you think that perhaps we could invite Iolo and Tyler over?” Siôn suggests, “I still miss Greta a little.”   
"Remember what we have discussed"
Anita is pleased to agree to this, but warns him that they have to hold firm and remember what they have already discussed.
“If you want to see Greta, why don’t you call in to see them?” she asks, 
"Yes, I think I'll do that"
and he thinks that he will do that, as he is getting rather worried about the atmosphere between him and Iolo.   
"This is all Tyler's fault, not Iolo's"
“Anyway, this is all Tyler’s fault, not Iolo’s,” he selfrighteously adds, and again she tells him to be careful about what he agrees to.   He stresses that he wants to spend more time together with Anita as well.
Singing practice is going on . . . 
Eileen has just removed some tarts from the oven at Penrhewl, and the duo of Sioned and DJ, are practising, with rather inexpert accompaniment from Izzy.   
. . . with a carol about corn ripening
They sing of the meadow and corn ripening,  and growing on the land, 
"That sounds like a funeral hymn"
but Eileen comments, “That sounds like a funeral hymn – Siôn chose it, did he?”
Eifion is likewise unimpressed
They start again, “Greetings, good family, give us charity for singing,” as Eifion comes in and grimaces;  
"The hens will stop laying if you don't watch out"
he tells them that the hens will stop laying if they do not watch out, and he is only there for a cup of tea.   Eileen now has a tray of Welsh cakes.
"The cuckoo sings its best"
They decide to begin from, “The cuckoo sings its best,” but the accompaniment leaves a lot to be desired.
"I've just been home to pick up my phone"
Iolo has returned to the house to pick up his phone, then meets his father, who would like a word with him;  
"Sorry things have been a bit awkward"
“I’m sorry things have been a bit awkward,” Siôn says, and Iolo points out that he hates falling out with people.   “Does that mean we’re friends again?” his father asks.
"OK, I suppose so, Dad"
Iolo agrees, but then Siôn puts his foot in it once more;  
"If Tyler hadn't been so stubborn . . ."
“It wasn’t your fault, anyway,” he tells Iolo, “If Tyler hadn’t been so stubborn about appointing a young and inexperienced girl . . .”   
Iolo stops him there, pointing out that he cannot set conditions;  “From what I remember, Anita wasn’t totally innocent either.”   Siôn now would prefer to forget all about it, saying that he has missed Greta, and would like them to come to Y Felin some time.   He is sure that Anita would be pleased to see them, too.   
"I'd like things to get back to normal"
Iolo would also like things to get back to normal, but now has to get on with his work.   Siôn feels quite pleased with himself.
Now they sing about 'The Clear May Day'
At Penrhewl, they have now moved on to another carol, ‘The Clear May Day’, and Eileen thinks that they have improved;  this opinion is not shared by Eifion, and Sioned snarls, “You’re welcome to sing instead of us, if you think you could do better!”   
"I'm having quite enough trouble with the keyboard"
Eileen suggests that he could sing a duet with Izzy, but she is having quite enough trouble with the keyboard, without having to sing with him.
"I might have the voice of an angel!"
Eifion protests that she has not heard him sing;  “I might have the voice of an angel!” he exclaims;  Izzy is quite adamant she will not stand up in front of people to sing primitive songs, no matter how good Eifion is.   Now she must go, as she has bands to book, and gigs to organise, but Sioned would like to go through it just once more.
"Were they flirting just now?"
She whispers to DJ, “Were they are flirting just now?” and he is of the opinion that they were.
"Why don't you go and talk to Mathew?"
At number 10, Brenda is doing her jigsaw puzzle and Jaclyn brings a cup of tea for Tesni  who is reading a book, The Blue Book of Nebo, [which concerns a post-nuclear-war North Wales.]   “Tell me to mind my own business if you want, but why don’t you go and talk to Mathew?”
Tesni knows what would happen
“Come on, its obvious,” Tesni replies, “He’ll either finish with me or feel sorry for me, and I don’t want either of those to happen.”
"If he can't cope with a bit of chat about bowels and runs . . ."
Brenda interrupts, “If he can’t cope with a bit of chat about bowels and runs, he’s not worth bothering about.”   
"How can I have a relationship with anyone?"
Tesni wonders how she can have a relationship with anyone, but her grandmother maintains, “If he doesn’t, I’d say you’ve had a lucky escape!”   Jaclyn assures her that, whatever happens, they will always be there for her.
Iolo is waiting for Tyler
Tyler joins Iolo in the Deri, and is told that they have another fifteen minutes before they need to pick Greta up;  
"Do you want a coffee?"
Iolo will get him a coffee, and he is immediately suspicious.   
“After we pick her up, I thought we could go up to Y Felin,” Iolo begins, 
"So this is what the coffee is all about"
and Tyler realises this is what the coffee was about;  he is against the idea, after the way Siôn and Anita have been behaving.   “But Dad is missing Greta,” Iolo points out, and Tyler replies that is tough’.
"Dan, tell him to stop being so stubborn"
Dani brings the coffee, and Iolo says to her, “Dan, tell Tyler to stop being so stubborn, will you?   
"Dad's accused him of fixing Izzy's job"
“Tyler is angry because Siôn accused him of fixing Izzy’s job, so that he was available to babysit.”   
"And now Siôn and Anita won't babysit"
Of course Tyler denies this, and continues explaining that Siôn and Anita will not babysit now.
“The point is, Dad wants to forget all about it,” Iolo goes on, 
"I'd love Seren to have grandparents who would help out"
but Dani intervenes to say that she would love Seren to have grandparents who were willing to help out, so if Siôn is willing to bury the hatchet, her brother should not refuse.   
"You need all the help you can get"
He needs all the help he can get.
However, Tyler is unmoved, and Iolo describes him as, “Stubborn as a mule!   Come up to Y Felin with Greta and me tonight, just to see how things go.”
"I'm starting to enjoy this singing"
“I know it’s a bit odd, but I’m starting to enjoy this singing,” says DJ, 
Mathew does not look too happy
and then Mathew walks in, looking serious.   “What did Dad say then?” DJ asks him, and Mathew shows the contract to him and Sioned.
"I'm worse off now than I was before!"
“It’s not good at all – I’m worse off now than I was before!” Mathew rages, and Sioned takes a look at the contract, as Mathew mutters, “I knew yesterday was a mistake!”
"No – he can't do this!"
“No – he can’t do this!” exclaims Sioned, “No definite hours, no overtime, no time off without a month’s notice!”   
"Dad expects you to sign that?"
DJ cannot believe that his father expects Mathew to sign that, then Sioned finds another paragraph, which reads, “No discussing working terms, publicly or privately,” and she concludes, “No, he’s not going to get away with this!”   
"How are we going to stop him?"
Mathew wonders how they will stop him, and is told by Sioned, “You’re going to work tomorrow with an adapted contract – 
"We're going to write another contract tonight"
“the contract we’re going to write tonight.”   DJ is confident that his father will have to compromise, and has just gone over the top as usual, but he will cool down — and Diane will knock some sense into him.
Tesni arrives unexpectedly
Tesni arrives, 
"We were just going to the Deri, weren't we, DJ?"
so Sioned and DJ decide to go to the Deri, to give them some peace;  when they have gone, 
"Are you all right?"
Mathew is anxious that Tesni is all right.   
"I'm not, to be honest"
“Well, I’m not, to be honest – it’s complicated,” she says, 
"We really need to talk"
“The thing is, Math, we really need to talk.”   
He does not like the sound of this
This sounds ominous to Mathew.
"We must include holiday pay and sick pay"
When they arrive at the Deri, Sioned makes a note to include holiday pay in the contract, and remarks that Mathew will not be paid if he is sick.   
"Does he think he'll get away with this?"
DJ angrily remarks, “Dad’s gone too far this time!   Does he really think he’ll get away with this?”   
"We make a good team, Sioned"
He comes the conclusion that he and Sioned make a good team;  “Musical duets, trade relations.”   
"How about a glass of wine, then?"
Sioned would like a glass of wine, as sorting out the world’s problems is thirsty work.
Iolo and Tyler have brought Greta to see Siôn . . .
Siôn is pouring out tea when there is a knock at the door;  he is very pleased to see Iolo and Tyler with Greta, and Iolo thought that his father would like to have Greta for a few hours.
. . . but Anita points out that there is a snag
This does not go down well with Anita, as they have some unexpected ‘Airbnb’ guests coming this evening;  
"It's not convenient – you should have phoned!"
“It’s not convenient – you should have phoned!”   Siôn maintains that they are pleased to see the three of them, but it is awkward with the last-minute booking, a family on their way from Fishguard.
"We're renting out rooms on the Internet"
Siôn explains that they have started renting out rooms on the Internet, and Anita instructs them that they will have to come back another time.   
"I thought you wanted to sort things out!"
Iolo was under the impression that his father wanted to sort things out;  
"It's taken a lot for Tyler to come here!"
“I don’t believe this – it’s taken a lot for Tyler to come here today, after the way you’ve treated him!   But your visitors are obviously more important!”
Siôn replies that it proves that they have busy lives, too, 
"Next time, we'll book online"
so Iolo tells him, “We’re going – and next time, we’ll book online, shall we?”
"What do you want to talk about, Tes?"
Mathew asks Tesni what she wants to talk about, and she very hesitantly says she does not know where to start;  
"I've never had to do this before"
“I’ve never had to do this before.”
"I think I know what you're trying to say"
He tells her that it is all right, and he thinks he knows what she is trying to say;  “Things haven’t been the same between us for weeks – you left me in the Deri, you’re not answering my calls.
"Let me explain, Math!"
She begs him to let her explain, but will not give her the chance, but says that it is unnecessary;  
"It's my fault for not seeing the signals"
“It’s my fault for not seeing the signals – it’s all right – you don’t want us to carry on.   There we are, I knew it – there’s no need to explain.”
"Math, I really like you!"
“Math, I really like you,” she insists, but he assumes that she simply wants them to be friends.   “Math, you’re making this really difficult!” she shouts, and he apologises if he is making it difficult.
"You've said everything – you might as well go"
“You can go now – you’ve said everything!” he tells her.
"I've not been able to say anything!"
Tesni screams that she has not been able to say anything;  “You know what?    It’s taken a lot for me to come here tonight.   I thought you’d listen to me, 
"You're just like everyone else!"
“but you’re just like everyone else!” and she walks out of the flat.