15 January 2019

A birthday card for Chester
Britt is preparing jacket potatoes, and asks Aaron to sign a birthday card for Chester;  
"£50, Mam?"
when he queries the £50 inside it, she says, “He’s only 18 once – don’t write any dirty comments.   You look as if you enjoyed school – is Catrin with you?”   
"Oh, of course – I remembered that!"
He reminds his mother she has a maths lesson after school.
"You know the rules – homework first"
“You’re not going to play on your console now, are you?” she asks, “You know the rules – homework first.   Catrin takes her school work seriously – why can’t you be like her?”
He replies, scathingly, “Mam, she’s a swot!” so Britt tells him not to be so childish, and that it is about time he grew up and sorted himself out.   
"What about you?   You're a mess!"
He scoffs, “Sort myself out?   Oh, right!   What about you?   You’re a mess!”   As he goes to his room, Britt stops and thinks.
Mathew tries some serious exercising
In the shop flat, Mathew is practising press-ups with only one arm when Tesni walks in, 
"My ex used to do that"
commenting, “My ex used to do that, with a couple of dumbbells on his back.”   
"If Rhys does it, you have to do it!"
He says that he has seen Rhys doing it;  “And if Rhys does it, you have to do it,” she laughs.
"Does your father know you're here?"
He asks if her father knows that she is here, as he was not very happy when he thought that Rhys was after you.   “He’s so embarrassing – he still thinks I’m a little girl,” she sighs, 
"Do you want to meet up later?"
“Do you want to meet up later?”   Mathew does not think that it is a good idea, 
"We should just be friends"
and says he just wants them to be friends – nothing else.   
"OK, no probs – Grandad!"
Tesni smiles, “OK, no probs – Grandad!   It’s no big deal – right, let’s see how many of those press-ups you can do.”
Gerwyn washes his hands for tea
Brenda is once again at number 10 as Jaclyn calls Gerwyn for tea;  he reports that several people stopped for a chat, to check that he knows what he is doing.
"My 'Ferrari' is not charging properly"
Brenda complains that her ‘Ferrari’ needs a service, as it is not charging properly, but he says that he checked it this morning, and it had a full charge.   
"I hope Rhys is not around"
Jaclyn explains that Tesni has gone to APD for some glue, to repair her phone case, and Gerwyn hopes that Rhys is not around, trying it on again, but Jaclyn is sure that Tes knows what she is doing.   
"That girl needs her freedom"
Brenda maintains that the girl needs her freedom, but he protests, “We don’t know the boys yet – she needs to be careful.”   
"When she was ill, you would have done anything"
Jaclyn reminds him that when she was ill, he would have done anything to see her enjoy herself, but he says it is not easy.
Brenda will go and look for her, as she needs to check the battery;  Jaclyn tells him that his mother is right – Tes has to have some freedom.
Gwyneth comes staggering in
Garry is looking through the post when Gwyneth appears unexpectedly in the Deri flat;  climbing up the stairs has exhausted her.   
"I thought I was better than I am"
“I thought I was better than I am,” she gasps, and Garry helps her to the sofa.   He reproves her for venturing out alone, but she says she did not have much choice.
"There was no sign of Megan"
“I woke up and there was no sign of Megan – I tried phoning her, and, to make matters worse, 
"I can't use the toilet for a few hours"
“Dai is laying tiles on the bathroom floor, so I can’t use the toilet for a few hours.”   
"There's a sofa down in the bar"
Garry points out that Dani will not be happy to see her here, and directs her instead to the sofa down in the bar, but eventually gives in, telling her to leave Dani to him;  “I’ll be downstairs in the bar – 
"Don't expect me to run up here constantly!"
“but don’t expect me to run up here constantly – OK?”
"I heard that Dai fell asleep in the middle of a job"
In the shop, Colin tells Diane that he heard Dai fell asleep in the middle of job;  “It must be true, because Megan told me – 
"Megan told me about Rip Van Winkle!"
“she witnessed Rip Van Winkle’s antics.”   
Diane does not appreciate this, and stresses that Dai is going through a hard time;  he is still suffering after the accident in Pwll Bach.
"He can't sleep, and has nightmares"
“He can’t sleep, and has nightmares,” she explains, and Coin sympathises that no-one can get over an experience like that very easily.   “I wish he’d talk to me about it more openly,” she says, 
Colin knows from experience what it is like 
and Colin knows what it is like, living with someone who will not talk about anything.   He relates that Britt is up and down, 
"I can't put my finger on what exactly is wrong with her"
but he cannot put his finger on exactly what is wrong with her.
Britt arrives and quickly flies into a rage
Britt comes into the shop at that moment, and snarls, 
"There's no point asking who you were whispering about"
“There’s no point asking who you’re whispering about – thanks, Col!   Don’t worry about me – I’ve got a doctors appointment later.” 
Mathew and Tesni appear . . .
Then Mathew and Tesni come from the flat through the shop, 
. . . and she makes up a story about Job Experience
and she alleges that she wanted to ask Mathew if she could do work experience with APD.   
"You can talk to the boss here!"
Colin suggests that she could talk to the boss, Diane, right now, but instead she hurries out of the shop.
"Something is going on with those two"
Colin has come to the conclusion that something is going on between those two;  “Well, it’s no business of ours, is it?” says Britt, 
"It's time people stopped poking their noses in!"
“It’s about time people round here stopped poking their noses into other people’s business!”
"I'd do anything to be young again!"
Brenda trundles down the back street and meets Mathew and Tesni;  “No need for excuses – I’d do anything to be young again!” she tells them, 
"There's nothing going on, OK?"
but Mathew assures her there is nothing going on;  they just like the same music. “And the Queen and Prince Philip aren’t married!” Brenda responds, “They’re just seen together, waving.   
"Oh, Gran!"
“Hey, the Queen met me once in Swansea – she was over the moon.   Your father’s worried about you.”
"I used to be quite a catch!"
She asks Mathew if he wants to come for a spin with her;  “I used to be quite a catch!”
"Gwyneth will be glad Florence Nightingale has turned up"
In the Deri, Garry brings Megan a cup of tea, and comments, “Gwyneth will be glad that Florence Nightingale has turned up – she’s resting upstairs.   She said there was no peace and quiet in the flat, and didn’t know where you were.”   Megan points out that she has to go out sometimes, and he tells her that Diane is upstairs.
"Do children need so many toys?"
Megan has brought some of Gwern’s toys with her and wonders, “Do children need so many toys to keep them happy?   This is a special one, isn’t it?”   
"Gwyneth bought that, probably online"
She takes from her bag the box containing the drone, and he tells that Gwyneth bought it, online probably.
"I've made a doctor's appointment . . ."
Britt comes in and informs Garry that he can stop worrying now, as she has made a doctors appointment;  
". . . so people will leave me alone"
“I’m going so people will leave me alone.”   Brenda comes in, looking for someone to buy her a drink, as, once again, she has forgotten her purse.   
"Sorry, there's no tab here!"
Garry informs her that there is no tab at the Deri, 
"I can play darts for free!"
but she decides that she can play darts for free, and asks Britt if she is looking for new team members.
“Jac is brilliant – she was her local’s captain,” Brenda continues, but Britt feels threatened 
"I'm the captain here!"
and emphasises that she is the captain here.   
"It has been a bit disorganised lately"
Garry comments that it has been rather disorganised lately.
"Are you saying I'm in no fit state?"
“Are you saying I’m in no fit state to be in charge of a darts team?” she demands, “Nobody’s taking over from me!”
"Thanks for your concern about Dai"
Upstairs, Diane thanks Gwyneth that she and Megan were concerned about Dai yesterday.   Gwyneth demands, “What’s all this crawling?   
"Scared that I'll tell everyone?"
“Scared that I’ll tell everyone what your husband’s really like?   
"He has a guilty conscience!"
“He’s doing this job free because of a guilty conscience.   You, nor anyone else, can tell me what to do!”
Diane remarks that it is no wonder no-one likes her;  
Megan is eavesdropping
Megan has just returned and has been listening outside the door as Gwyneth explains, “I’ve got Megan – I don’t need anyone else.”
When Megan walks in, Gwyneth remarks she was just saying how fortunate she is to have her.   
"It proves you're getting better"
“The fact that you came here by yourself proves you’re getting better,” says Megan, 
"I didn't realise how hard it would be"
and when Gwyneth makes her painful way to the toilet, admits to Diane, “I didn’t realise how hard it would be to look after her – 
"She doesn't make very pleasant company"
“it’s difficult to like her – she doesn’t make very pleasant company.”
"You'll have to say something, Megan"
Diane advises her to say something, as enough is enough, 
"Perhaps you could shoulder some of the burden"
and Megan wonders if Diane could shoulder some of the burden;  “After all, you are younger than me.”   This puts Diane in something of a spot.
"You've only been here five minutes . . ."
Britt has gone to number 10, where she tells Jaclyn and Gerwyn she cannot believe how cheeky people can be;  “You’ve only been here five minutes, and you think you can be captain!”   
Gerwyn does nothing to improve matters
Gerwyn points out that Jac has two talents – choosing a husband, and playing darts.
"I've been the captain for years!"
“I’ve been the captain for years!” rages Britt, but Jaclyn recalls that Garry said things have gone a bit stale.   She alleges they need more time to practice, and a run-up before matches – and T-shirts.   Britt’s anger has been building, and she stresses that they have T-shirts.
"I have more time to do it right"
“You’re busy in the chippy – I have more time to do it right,” Jaclyn asserts, but Britt suggests she has enough on her plate, keeping tabs on that girl of hers.
“She’s carrying on with Mathew, and he is much older than her!” Britt says as she leaves.   Gerwyn immediately calls Tesni downstairs, as they want a word with her.
"Mathew and you – is there anything going on?"
“Mathew and you – is there anything going on?” her mother asks, 
"I'm not going out with him or anyone else!"
and she answers she is not going out with him or anyone else in the place;  she demands that they stop wrapping her in cotton wool, and returns upstairs.
"Colin, will you pick up my dart?"
Brenda calls to Colin to pick up her dart, and Garry informs her that she needs more practice;  “I’ll be in the team if Jac is the captain – 
"You tick all the boxes . . ."
“and you tick all the boxes if someone on a mobility scooter is in the team.
"Britt lost the plot earlier"
At the bar, Garry advises Colin that Britt lost the plot earlier;  “I said that Jaclyn would make a good captain for the darts team.”   
"She should be at the doctor's now"
Colin looks at his watch, and says that she will be at the doctor’s now, and with a bit of luck, he can sort her out;  “We can’t carry on like this.”   
"I had more important things to do!"
However, at that moment, she walks in, and tells them she had to cancel the appointment;  “I had more important things to do.   I dont think Jaclyn realises the Deri doesn’t have room for two captains!”
"The best player should be captain!"
Brenda interrupts her with the assertion, “The best player should be captain!   She’s been the regional champion four times.”   
"She won't want to see darts again, after I thrash her!"
Britt predicts that she will not want to see darts again after being thrashed.   
They are not looking forward to this
Garry and Colin are not looking forward to this confrontation.
Diane is going to slip away
Some time later, Gwyneth has dropped off to sleep, and Diane decides to go;  
"And leave me on my own?"
“What?   And leave me on my own?” says Megan, but she is told she will get some peace now.   Diane assures her that she is held in very high regard for doing this charitable act, but she is unable help her out.   Megan is quite downhearted, 
Megan wears an unfamiliar and scheming expression
but looks at the box containing the drone and appears to be planning something.
"You probably know why I'm here"
Gerwyn goes to visit Mathew;  “You probably know why I’m here,” he begins, “Remember that chat I had with Rhys last week – Tesni’s young, and she is trying to impress boys.   It would be easy for you or anyone else to take advantage of her.”
"You can't accuse me of being some kind of perv!"
Mathew objects to this;  “You can’t come here and accuse me of being some kind of perv!   I talked to her this morning – I was being friendly – I know what it’s like to move somewhere and not know anybody.”
"Tesni has been very ill"
Gerwyn explains, “Tesni has been very ill – we thought we’d lose her.   This was years ago, and she’s fine now, but I can’t forget that time.”   
"You should be grateful that she is enjoying life"
Mathew replies that he should be grateful that she is all right and enjoying life.
“People only get one chance to enjoy life – when they’re young.   
"I won't let anyone spoil that for her!"
“I won’t let anyone spoil that for her – you can’t blame me for that!” snarls Gerwyn.
"When I have children, I won't stifle them"
Mathew says that when he has children, he will not hover over them and stifle them, and Gerwyn comments, “I’m sure you’ll be the perfect father,” but Mathew does not intend to be one for a while.
"But these things happen"
Gerwyn warns, “But these things happen – Jac and I didn’t plan it either, but we had children when we were very young – it changes your life.”   
"There is nothing between us – right?"
Mathew reiterates that nothing is going on between them;  “So you don’t have any cause for concern then, do you?   Not a word to Tes about this chat.”
"I don't want to be captain"
Jaclyn tries to smooth things with Britt, assuring her, “I don’t want to be captain – I’m happy enough to play for you,” but nevertheless, she is challenged to the best of three.   “I haven’t played since I moved here – I’m out of practice,” Jaclyn protests, but Britt has been told that she is brilliant.
"Behave, Britt!"
Garry hands over the darts, and tells Britt to behave;  
"I need a lift to the leisure centre, now"
on her way to the dartboard, Aaron comes in, reminding her that he needs a lift to the leisure centre.   “Mam, you promised to take me – and I need to go now.”   She tells him she will only be ten minutes, but he leaves in disgust;  
"Forget it!   You're hopeless, Mam!"
“Forget it – I’ll catch the bus!   You’re hopeless, Mam!”
Colin will take him there
Colin comes over and volunteers to take him;  Jaclyn tries to defuse the situation by saying they can have a game another time, 
"No, we are doing it now!"
but Britt is quite adamant they will do it now.
Megan holds the drone box
Holding the drone box, 
"You should be ashamed of yourself!"
Megan growls at the sleeping Gwyneth, “You should be ashamed of yourself for stealing this – I’ll never forgive you!”   
Then Gwyneth starts issuing orders again
Then Gwyneth awakens, and requires a cup of tea, as well as some biscuits, chocolate if possible.   Then she wants some tablets from her pocket, 
Megan finds the tablets . . .
which Megan fetches, but only picks up the empty pack.
. . . but reports that there are none left
“Are you in pain?   I’m sorry, there are none left,” she says, 
"I shall have to wait until I get home"
and Gwyneth supposes that she will have to wait until she gets back home, where there are some more.   
The tablets go straight into the bin
Megan throws the tablets into the bin.
Britt manages to score zero . . .
In the Deri, the darts competition is not going well for Britt, who appears to be having difficulty scoring anything at all, 
. . . but Jaclyn puts up a much better show
whereas Jaclyn is much more successful.   
Brenda advises Britt, “1—0, there’s no point in carrying on,” but is told to shut up, as she is affecting Britt’s concentration.
"Can someone take her out of my sight?"
“Can someone take her out of my sight?” she demands, with her customary giggling, 
"A scrounger with a mobility scooter!"
“There’s nothing wrong with her – a scrounger with a mobility scooter!”   Garry tells her there is no need for that, but Britt insists, 
"They won't make a fool of me – right?
“They won’t make a fool of me – right?”
Garry is getting heartily fed up with Britt 
He assures her that she is angry with herself for missing the doctor’s appointment, but she rages, “If you hadn’t asked her to be captain, it would be all right – I would have had time to see the doctor!”
"It might be a good idea to lose"
In view of that little contretemps, Gerwyn advises that it may be best for Jaclyn to lose the game, as she does not want to upset the landlady or the locals.
"Any chance you could buy me a drink?"
Tesni has just come in and asks Mathew if there is any chance he could buy her a drink;  he gives the excuse that he has to go and do an urgent job for APD, and he is being watched by her father. 
"Come on – mates aren't supposed to lie"
“Come on – mates aren’t supposed to lie,” she tells him, 
"How about you find mates of your own age?"
and he recommends that she should find mates of her own age, so that her father does not hassle her.   He does not want to come between them, but she assures him she can handle Dad.
"I dont really need a friend like you!"
“OK,” she says, “Your taste in music is awful, anyway, and I don’t really need a friend like you!”