7 January 2019

Gwyneth lies in her hospital bed . . .
Gwyneth is lying in her hospital bed, 
. . . and Garry is told there is no alternative
as Garry says to a doctor, “If you say there is no other alternative, I’ll make the arrangements.”   He looks down at Gwyneth, then leaves the room.
Kelly is presented with flowers
In the café, Kelly is given flowers by her friend Nerys, with whom she used to work;  
"Nerys, this is my – fiancé!"
Ed comes in and asks, “What’s this?   Not a secret admirer, I hope!”   Kelly introduces him to Nerys as her fiancé, and she says that she is here to do a good news story on the collapse.   
"I thought I'd get a photo of you both – and the ring"
“I heard that you two got engaged after you were stuck underground – so I thought I’d get a photo of you both, and the ring.”   
"I asked him to marry me"
Kelly points out that it was actually a bit of an own goal, because she asked Ed to marry her.
Gaynor, who is also there, interrupts to say that Ed is a very lucky man, and Kelly suggests that he could wear the new watch in the photo.   However, he says that he is keeping it for special occasions.   
"He did nothing but talk about Kelly"
Gaynor recalls that, in the mine, Ed did nothing but talk about Kelly.
Nerys would like to talk to Gaynor about that, as she was also trapped, but Ed wonders if Gaynor should not be at school;  “I’m on my way to see one of my staff, who dislocated his shoulder,” she replies, and leaves them.
"I've got a headache, Kelly"
Then Ed gives the excuse that he has a headache and goes upstairs, much to Kelly’s embarrassment.
"Where do you think you're going, Pharoah?"
Eifion is heading towards APD;  “Where do you think you’re going, Pharoah?” demands Dai, “You won’t get anything in here!   
"You're not coming anywhere near APD!"
“After what you did to DJ and that bet business, you’re not coming anywhere near APD!”
Eifion protests that it was Gwyneth’s idea, so Dai wants to know why he did not inform DJ, to stop him making a fool of himself.   
"It's not my fault he's too stupid!"
“It’s not my fault that he’s too stupid to see through Gwyneth!” Eifion answers.
"Who are you calling stupid?"
DJ has joined them by this time, and takes issue with the term ‘stupid’;  “Come on – you always go for the wrong women, don’t you?” Eifion mocks him, “You haven’t had much luck recently.”   
"If you had let me marry Cadno . . ."
DJ maintains, “If you had been a decent bloke, you would have let me marry Cadno – and I wouldn’t have to go sniffing around women like Gwyneth!”   
"You're not exactly an expert on women!"
Dai adds that Eifion is not exactly an expert on women, 
The shop door is shut
and the door is abruptly slammed in Eifion’s face.
He throws his empty can and plastic bag at the door and walks away, 
"Pick that up, Eifion!"
where Ffion orders him to pick it up;  he reminds her that she is not in school now.   
"Put it in the bin, like everyone else!"
She picks up the discarded materials and instructs him to put them in a bin, 
He throws the litter again . . .
but he refuses and once again throws them at the door.   
. . . and the moment is captured for posterity
Inside, DJ is recording this on his phone.
"You've spoiled the surprise now!"
Dani is doing some baking when Garry walks in;  “You’ve spoiled the surprise now!” she complains, but he does not have any time for more surprises.   
"We need to have a chat – about Gwyneth!"
“You’ve been back and forth to see Gwyneth all weekend, so you and I need to have a chat – about Gwyneth!” says Dani, 
"She forged Sheryl's will"
“I haven’t been able to find the right time to tell you – when we were down the mine, she told me that she had forged Sheryl’s will.”
Garry does not believe a word of it
He looks very sceptical of this claim, 
"It all makes sense now"
as she continues, “I was supposed to get the salon, not her.   It makes sense now – why would Sheryl . . ?”   He is firmly of the opinion that it is impossible to forge a will, and in any case, he does not have time for this.
"Gwyneth has to have a bypass today!"
“Gwyneth has to have a bypass today – she is worried sick – and she is not the only one!” Garry snaps, but Danny regards such an operation as routine these days.   “I know, but it’s still a risk, so I’m taking Gwern to see her after school.   Forget this nonsense about the will – I don’t want to hear any more about it!”   
Dani does some online research
She immediately opens the laptop and does some research.
"Paracetamol for your headache"
In the café flat, Ed is looking at his watch when Kelly comes upstairs;  she has brought him some paracetamol for his headache.   He says, “I’ve decided to wear it from now on.   I want to – I’m sure, or I wouldn’t have agreed to marry you, would I?”
"It's nice that I was important to you in your final hours"
She asks what he was saying about her in the mine;  “It is nice to know I was important to you in your final hours.”   
"I would have done anything to be in your arms"
He protests that it was dirty, cold and dark, and he would have done anything to be in her arms.   “I mean it – I’m glad we’re engaged – I couldn’t be happier,” he insists, 
"There are customers to be served"
but she goes back downstairs, saying there are customers to be served.
Nerys is now at Penrhewl . . . 
Nerys from the Western Post visits Penrhewl, where Eifion informs her that he is an avid reader;  “You do so much for the local community – I’m sure Penrhewl would be happy to do an article.”   
. . . to see Jim Probert
He is rather deflated when she says she is here to see Jim Probert, to write a feature about the experiences of people who were stuck in Pwll Bach.
Apparently, Eileen has taken Jim to Narberth for the day because he was so shaken up.   
Eifion has a call from Jim . . .
Eifion says that he was part of the rescue team, but then his phone rings;  
. . . alerting him to the social media sensation . . .
it is Jim calling, drawing his attention what has been posted on social media.
“Don’t worry, I will sort it out,” he promises Jim;  Nerys will come back some other time, and hands Eifion her card.   Then we see what he was concerned about;  
. . . his litter-throwing exploit
DJ has posted the video of Eifion, throwing rubbish at the door of APD, on social media, and he looks rather upset.
"I'm not staying"
In the hospital, Gwyneth is pleased to see Dani;  “I’m not staying,” she says.   Gwyneth has been trying to write a message to Gwern, and knows that the risks are small, 
"I can't help but fear the worst"
but she cannot help fearing the worst.
"What did you expect, after the business with the will?"
Dani is not sympathetic;  “Yeah, well – Karma is cruel!   Come on, Gwyneth, what did you expect – after the business with the salon and the will?”
"What do you want, Dani?"
Gwyneth demands what she wants;  
"I want you to sign this, please"
Dani takes a paper from her bag, and replies, “I want you to sign this, just here – 
"You're going to transfer the business to me"
“you’re going to transfer the business to me – for ever!   I want what’s mine – what Sheryl wanted me to have.   
"I'm not going anywhere"
“I’ll go to the waiting room – there’s no rush – I’m not going anywhere.”
"Why not work, instead of poking your nose into my business?"
Ed goes to remonstrate with Gaynor, who says she has a lot of work to do;  “Then why don’t you work, instead of poking your nose into my business?” he demands, “Kelly suspects all kinds of things now because of you!”
"You were the one who refused to celebrate"
She points out that he was the one who refused to have his photo taken, and celebrate the engagement;  “You don’t regret it, do you?”
“Why do you ask that?” Ed snarls, and she says he went through a lot last week, and it is only natural to feel some obligation to accept – to be forced into it.   
"So you think I'm never going to be able to move on?"
“So that’s what you think of me,” he goes on, “I’m never going to be able to move on, am I?   From my past with Sioned!”
"Kelly deserves to know where she stands"
Gaynor emphasises that getting married is a big decision, and Kelly deserves to know where she stands;  this makes him think.
"No need to ask what this one wants, is there?"
At APD, Eifion marches in, and Dai comments, “There’s no need to ask what this one wants, is there?”   
"You could get a £75 fine for that"
DJ stresses that dropping litter is not a joke, and that Eifion could get a £75 fine if the council saw it.   “That’s more reason not to take it down, I would say!” Dai adds.
"What about Jim and Eileen?"
“What about Jim and Eileen and the business?” pleads Eifion, “They don’t deserve this,” and Dai is of the opinion that they should sack him, which is what he would do if one of his staff did that.   
“What am I supposed to do now?” Eifion snivels, 
"Go and hide – and don't come back!"
and Dai offers the suggestion that he should just disappear – go and hide – and not come back.
Then he begs DJ
Eifion tries appealing to DJ;  “I’m sorry for dropping litter – and about Gwyneth.   If I lose my job, I’ll lose the roof over my head – everything!”
DJ has an idea how he could make amends;  “You could set an example for all of Cwmderi.”   
"You could make an event of it"
He takes some rubbish sacks from the shelf, together with gloves and litter-picking tools;  “You could make an event of it – it’s the only way you will get forgiveness around here.”
Eifion can see no other solution, and picks up the items, but is reminded by DJ that he owes £22, so he pays up.
Gaynor is mentally elsewhere
Ffion is in the shop when Gaynor comes in, looking very preoccupied;  
"Work is the last thing on my mind"
“After what happened in the mine, work is the last thing on my mind.”   
Ffion remembers how she was after the truth came out about Gethin.   
"The time off did me so much good"
“You told me to take time to process it all – and it did me so much good!” she says, but Gaynor cannot afford to go to Thailand for a month.   
“But perhaps I can bring a bit of Thailand to you,” Ffion continues, 
"I'm sure mindfulness would help you"
“The Thai people have such different attitudes towards the mind.   Learning a bit about mindfulness changed everything for me – I’m sure it would help you.   People need to take care of themselves after something that traumatic.”
"You should host sessions for the whole of the village"
Gaynor suggests that Ffion should host sessions for the whole of Cwmderi, 
"Yes, I may do that"
and she says that she may do that, but in the meantime, Gaynor could look online or at the apps which are available to help.
"I'm not signing anything!"
Dani is still hanging about at the hospital, but Gwyneth advises, “There’s no point you being here – I’m not signing anything!  
Gwyneth puts it down to mental disturbance
“I was talking nonsense in that mine – it was probably a symptom of the heart attack.”
"You and I both know the truth"
Dani is not being taken in by that story;  “You and I both know the truth.” 
Then she suggests that Dani imagined it
Gwyneth continues, “You had one hell of a knock in that mine, you know – I think you’ve had concussion, Dani.   That’s the only conclusion – you must have imagined it all.”
In the background, Garry and Gwern can be seen approaching, 
"You're a dangerous old cow, aren't you?"
as Dani comes to the conclusion, “You’re a dangerous old cow, aren’t you?   Well, do you know what?   
"I'm not going to let you steal from me!"
“I’m not going to let you steal from me – so sign that letter!”
Seeing Garry, she puts on the 'excruciating pain' routine . . .
Gwyneth puts on a show of suffering some considerable pain, but Dani continues, “So you can go into that operation with a clear conscience!” 
. . . right on time
and at that moment Garry walks in.   
Gwern rushes to his mother
Gwern hurries to his mother, as Garry tells Dani to go home.
“Not until she signs that letter, and gives the salon back to me!” Dani growls, 
"This is not the time or the place, Dani!"
but he says this is not the time or the place.   
The heart attack has not affected her deviousness
As she turns to leave, Gwyneth smiles broadly.
“Show your picture to Mami, then,” says Garry to Gwern.
Nerys gets background information from Madge
In the Deri, where Nerys can be seen talking to Madge, 
"No, sorry – I don't know where she is"
Eifion is looking for Dani, 
"The negative effect of social media"
and Nerys turns to ask him, “Perhaps the hero would like to do an item on the negative effect of social media on small businesses.”
"I'm organising a litter-pick tomorrow"
He replies that if she is looking for a feature, he is organising a litter pick tomorrow;  “You’re welcome to come over to Llyn Arthur.”   
"Sometimes I think I was better off underground!"
Dai and DJ arrive, with DJ complaining about the way his father treated Eifion.   “Sometimes I think I was better off underground,” Dai moans, “Get me a pint!”   
Nerys says she will pay for it, 
"Nerys Wilkins from the Western Post"
and introduces herself as being from the Western Post.   “I’m collecting stories about the brave people who were in the mine,” she begins;  
"We were idiots for following Hywel Llywelyn"
Dai points out that nobody was brave, but were rather idiots for following Hywel Llywelyn in there.   
"Stick your pint where the sun doesn't shine!"
He then graphically invites her to stick her pint where the sun does not shine, and walks back out of the pub.   Eifion is rather amused by all of this.
Eifion talks to Dani . . .
Dani comes in, and is told about the litter pick which Eifion is organising, 
. . . but is pretty much ignored
but she does not take a lot of notice and goes straight upstairs.
Gaynor is in a melancholy state . . .
Gaynor is working on the laptop, and drinking quite a bit of wine;  
. . . and ready to burst into tears
she looks rather tearful 
She starts investigating 'mindfulness"
and searches for the word ‘mindfulness’.   
Ffion is really into this 'mindfulness' lark
At the same time, in the café, Ffion is explaining to Kelly, “Mindfulness is a good way of organising your thoughts.”   Kelly says that she has dabbled with it, but is not sure she is doing it right.   “That’s the whole point of these sessions – a chance to understand more over a cup of tea,” Ffion goes on, “Do you think I could hold a couple of sessions here?”   
"Ed can be so miserable at times"
Kelly agrees, and hopes that she can get Ed involved;  “He can be so miserable at times.”   
But not this time, so it appears
Just at that moment he walks in, accompanied by Nerys, and with a broad smile on his face;  “Now I’m worried,” sighs Kelly.
"I'm sorry I spoiled your big moment!"
“I’m sorry I messed up, and spoiled your big moment,” he says, taking her hand and encouraging her to stand, 
"You deserve an engagement ring"
“I want to prove how much I love you, Kel!   You deserve an engagement ring – so I hope this fits.”
"It's beautiful, Ed!"
Kelly squeals that the ring is beautiful, 
"Will you marry me?"
and he gets down on his knees, and asks if she will marry him;  
"Of course I'll marry you!"
“Of course I will!” she exclaims, as the moment is captured by Nerys.   
The ring does indeed fit
He slips the ring on to her finger, and Kelly jumps up and down with excitement;  they are greeted with a round of applause from the café customers.
Dai is seeking solace in whisky
At Bryntirion, Dai is drinking whisky, and DJ points out to him, “It’s clear the collapse has had an effect on you – 
"Perhaps you should talk to someone"
“perhaps you should talk to someone.”
"I don't want to waste my time with a shrink!"
This suggestion is greeted with, “Huh!   The last thing I want to do is waste my time with a shrink!”   DJ asks why he has been in such a terrible mood with everyone, as whatever it is cannot be that bad.
"I was there – and I did nothing!"
“When Gwyneth Jones had her heart attack, I was there with her – and I did nothing!”   DJ appreciates that CPR is not easy, but Dai snarls, “Not to help her – just the opposite!   After everything she’s done to me over the years, 
"I could have put a stop to her, once and for all!"
“I could have put a stop to her, once and for all!    I mean it – I missed the ideal opportunity to make sure she’d never breathe again!   But I couldn’t – I couldn’t do it.”
"I'll pretend you never said that!"
DJ will pretend that he never said such a thing, and orders him to forget about it;  
Dai has some more whisky
Dai takes another swig of the whisky.