16 January 2019

"He has no interest in his school work!"
As Colin clears up the breakfast things, Britt complains that Aaron has not bothered taking his bag to school;  “What does that tell you?” she demands, “He has no interest in his school work!”   
"He's still upset about yesterday"
Colin maintains that he is still upset after yesterday, reminding her that beating Jaclyn at darts was more important to her than taking Aaron to the leisure centre.   
“I’ve apologised for that – I don’t like his attitude, Col!   Have you heard the way he talks to me?   
"I'll go to the school and see what's going on"
“I’ll go to the school and see what’s going on – and find out how he behaves there.”   
"Why don't you just phone the doctor?"
Colin is troubled, and tells her to forget about school now, and instead to phone the doctor, to make another appointment.
"Aaron has to come first!"
She is quite insistent, “Aaron has to come first – don’t criticise the way I raise my children!”   He replies that he is not, but she complains about Aaron’s attitude, 
"It's your attitude that's making us all stressed!"
when it is her attitude which is making them all stressed.   He comments that life here is not as it was, 
"You know where the door is, if you're not happy!"
so she shouts, “You know where the door is, if you’re not happy!   I’m going to work now, and then I’m going to sort my son out – if that’s all right with you!”
Colin dials Gaynor's number . . .
As soon as she has gone, Colin get out his phone and leaves a message for Gaynor;  
. . . asking her to come round
“Do you think you could come here for a chat about Aaron?   I’m afraid Britt will turn up at the school and cause chaos.”
It appears that Tesni wants a day off school
Tesni comes downstairs and refuses a sandwich from her Gran, saying she has a stomach ache;  Brenda can see that it is an excuse and recalls, “Every chance I got when I was your age, I’d go down to town and smoke in the bus shelters.   I didn’t even like it, but it was fashionable at the time – I thought I looked like a filmstar.   
"But you stopped, though!"
“But I stopped – or I would not have been here now!”
Tesni eats her sandwich after all
Tesni changes her mind, and has a sandwich, as Brenda goes on, “You want to go and see Mathew, don’t you?”   Tesni admits that her father is the problem;  Mathew has been told to stay away, 
"Your Dad worries about you"
but her Gran says that he worries about her.   
"I'm not allowed to meet anyone!"
She is fed up with it – she is not allowed to meet anyone, and it is embarrassing.   “I try to meet people and make friends, but he’s always like this,” she moans, and decides and she is going out.
It appears that Gerwyn is in competition with Garry Monk
By the roadside, Gerwyn is diagnosing the problem with Iolo’s van;  “You’d be surprised how many springs and shock absorbers I’ve changed,” he says.   
"I could try and get compensation from the council"
Iolo suggests he could chase the council for compensation, with all the potholes, but Gerwyn protests that they keep him in business.
"Monk Motors are not so good these days"
“I usually use Monk Motors – but they’re not so good these days,” remarks Iolo, which Gerwyn regards as good news, not that he wants to poach work.   Iolo continues, “They couldn’t even look at it until Friday – a plumber needs his van!”
Jaclyn hurries into the house
Then Jaclyn pulls up outside the house, and Gerwyn demands what she is doing home at this time;  she goes straight into the house without a word.   
"I've been sacked!"
Inside she announces, “I’ve been sacked!”   Brenda tells her that her cookery is outstanding, but she confesses, “It’s my fault – I’ve been late a lot – the traffic is awful.   
"They will use any excuse to cut down on staff!"
“By the time I take Guto and Tes to school, I’m running late – they will use any excuse to cut back on staff.   
"It was a mistake to move here!"
“It was a mistake to move here!”
"Half your wages went on petrol, anyway"
Gerwyn tries to console her that half of her wages went on petrol, anyway;  she insists, “I need to work – I want to live in Aberporth – there must be somewhere!”   
"Why don't you look for a job here?"
Brenda suggests she looks for a job here in Cwmderi, and points out that the children are settling here.
Gaynor and Tyler arrive 
Gaynor has arrived at the chip shop flat, and has brought Tyler, who is head of Aaron’s year;  shortly afterwards Britt also comes in.   “Look who I found out on the street – they’ve come to have a word with us about Aaron,” Colin tells her, but she does not believe a word of it.
"You phoned them to come here, didn't you?"
“What a coincidence – you phoned them to come here, didn’t you?” she snarls, 
"I didn't think you'd have time to go to school"
and he says he did not think she would have time to go to the school.   
Britt wears a simpering smile
Gaynor wonders if it is convenient to have a chat now, and Britt agrees.
"Aaron hasn't been showing much interest recently"
“As you’re aware, Aaron hasn’t been showing much interest in school recently, so as head of his year, Tyler can explain what Aaron’s attitude is in the classroom.”
Tyler begins, “Many of his teachers are concerned about a deterioration in his work – his name crops up in meetings.   He loses concentration easily and is cheeky to teachers.”
"Oh, I'll kill him!"
Britt, who up until this point has been smiling childishly, tells them, “Oh, I’ll kill him!”   Gaynor maintains that they need to tread carefully, as Aaron has had his share of problems, 
"We can get him back on track"
and Colin is confident that by working together they can get Aaron back on track.   
Britt still does not look quite 'with it'
Britt is still smiling vacuously.
"Hey, Tesni!"
As Mathew transports bags of cement at APD, he notices Tesni and calls to her;  “There’s no need to ignore each other,” he says, 
"You told me to find mates my own age"
but she reminds him that she had been told to find mates of her own age.   “And you told me you didn’t want a friend like me,” is his reply, 
"I didn't mean what I said"
“Come on, I didn’t mean what I said – it was awkward, your father was there.   He warned me to stay away, is a lot of bit older than you.”
"Are you going to listen to him and stay away?"
“Are you going to listen to him and stay away?” she demands, and he says he does not want things to turn nasty.   “What do you think he’s going to do?” she asks, and he admits he still wants them to be friends.  
She agrees to think about it, 
"Don't think you can treat me any way you want!"
with the proviso, “Don’t think you can treat me any way you want – OK?”
"I'm sure you can find someone to cover"
Someone from the school has phoned Gaynor;  “I’m sure you can find someone to cover – I will be back in half an hour,” she says, and asks if Tyler is free this afternoon, 
"Sorry, I've got a check-up at the hospital"
but he has a hospital check-up.
"You have no idea what is going on at that school!"
“You have no idea what’s going on in that school,” Britt scoffs, and laughs;  Gaynor maintains that Aaron looks tired this term, and asks if he stays up late.   
"He's not allowed to do as he likes"
“He’s not allowed to do as he likes – if that’s what you’re suggesting,” Britt answers.
"I think he spend sa lot of time playing computer games"
“From listening to him and his mates, I’d say he spends a lot of time playing computer games,” Tyler remarks, but Britt reports he is not on it all the time.
"Many parents think that"
“Many parents think that,” Gaynor tells her, and Tyler thinks that some children play games into the early hours;  he has heard them talking.   Britt assures him that she will have a word with Aaron and get the truth out of him.
"Can of lemonade, please, Ricky"
In the cafĂ©, Tesni asks Ricky for a can of lemonade;  the rest of the family are sitting at a table, and Mathew has just come in through the door.   
"No, I'm not sitting with Mathew!"
Tesni is adamant that she will not sit with Mathew and joins her family.   Gerwyn is treating everyone to lunch, 
"I've lost my job!"
as their mother needs cheering up;  
Brenda issues threats
Brenda announces, “If I met the person who sacked you, they’d need a dentist!” but Gerwyn points out that would spoil any chance of Jaclyn getting a job cooking in another school.
"Shouldn't you be in school?"
Ricky is surprised that Guto and Tesni are not in school, coming to the conclusion that they are playing truant;  he makes the comment, 
Ricky likes serving cute Grannies
“That’s what I like about this job – serving cute Grannies!”   
Mathew sits forlornly
Meanwhile, Mathew sits on his own, looking rather miserable.
In the Deri, Colin tells Britt, “Being angry with me for asking Gaynor to come over won’t help.”   
"Chester played games all the time, but he wasn't hooked!"
She replies that Chester was playing games all the time, but he was not hooked.   
Colin tries to explain that games these days are much more addictive.
"Since when have you been such an expert?"
“Since when have you been such an expert?” she snarls at him, “If Aaron is playing games through the night, I will put a stop to it!”
"Maths, chemistry and music"
Guto informs Ricky that he is studying maths, chemistry and music, and Tesni says she is doing PE, IT and history;   
"You can have my old history notes if you want"
Ricky comments that he did history too, and she can have his old notes if she wants, as they had a brilliant teacher – and he has loads of books.   
"I may come over to collect them"
He surprised himself by getting an A;  she says that she may come over to collect them, but 
"You'll need a passport to get into Maes-y-Deri "
he warns, “You’ll need a passport, because I live in Maes-y-Deri!”
Gerwyn cannot understand why someone with A-levels is working in a cafĂ©, and Ricky explains he is taking a gap year, but cannot afford to travel.  
"I'm going to study law"
“I’m going to University in September to study Law.”   Brenda says she may need his help some time, adding that people are so nice here – 
"Apart from Britt Monk, of course!"
apart from Britt Monk, of course.   She would like to live here, 
"Mam wants to go back to Aberporth"
but Guto reminds them that his mother wants to go back to Aberporth.
Iolo finds the door open
Iolo finds the door of number 10 is open, and goes inside;  a few seconds later Jaclyn and Gerwyn arrive.   
"I'll let you know when it's finished"
Iolo asks if the van is ready, and is told that he will be contacted when it is finished.
"We've got a nice house here"
Brenda comes back with the children, advising them they should not rush to move out, but Jaclyn insists that the school run is too much.   “We’ve got a nice house here,” Brenda maintains, but Gerwyn informs her that she is going back to Llandysul.   She says that she is on an extended holiday, and Tesni loves having her here.
"I could contribute some of my pension"
“I was thinking I could contribute some of my pension – it would help now that Jac’s not bringing in any money,” she continues, but her son points out she is only supposed to be here temporarily.
"I need your help – come on!"
Tesni mutters to Guto that she needs his help, and they go out.
"Sit down at the table, Aaron"
Aaron is told to sit down at the table, so that they can have a proper meal;  “We need a chat,” Britt instructs, 
"I've been too soft – things are going to change here"
“The school has been in touch, saying that your marks are slipping, and you’re tired.   I’ve been too soft, so things are going to change here.”
"I'm not doing anything wrong"
He responds, “I’m not doing anything wrong – all right?”   She replies that the school would not get in touch without good reason.
Britt spells out the new regîme
“From now on, you’re banned from playing computer games in your room!   You will concentrate on your schoolwork, and you can only use a computer when I give you permission.”   
"Are you going to stand there and watch me play?"
Aaron is outraged;  “You’re sad – what are you going to do – stand there and watch me play?” but she is adamant that it is time he concentrated on his school work, and he cannot keep on doing his own thing.
"You still have tantrums, don't you?"
“Well, you always do your own thing!” Aaron rages, “Did you see the doctor yesterday?”   His mother snaps that she is an adult;  “But you still have tantrums, don’t you?”   
Colin doubts she handled that very well
He gets up and goes to his bedroom, with Britt shouting that he should bring his console out there.
They seem very impressed by Gaynor's school
Tesni and Guto have gone to see Gaynor at Llwyncelyn, where they are impressed by the details of the school;  “We have all the best resources,” Gaynor explains, 
"We would like to attend"
and Tesni tells her that they would like to attend the school until they go back to Aberporth.
"It's not that simple"
Gaynor would be pleased to welcome them, but it is not that simple;  she will have to check with their current school to make sure they follow the same course, and their parents would have to be consulted.   
"Could you let us know as soon as possible?"
“Could you let us know as soon as possible – our schoolwork is important to us,” Tesni emphasises.
Aaron is back on his game
Aaron emerges from his room, and resumes his computer game;  Britt tells Colin, “Keep an eye on him – any problem, come and fetch me.”   
"Go and finish your shift"
He urges her to go and finish her shift.
"When can I pick up the books?"
Ricky is waiting at the counter for more customers when Tesni returns;  she asks when she can pick up the books, and he replies that he is closing in half an hour.   
"There – on the house!"
She asks for a bottle of water, which she is given ‘on the house’.
"The Bull at Llanarthur is nice"
She notices Mathew who is coming across the road, and asks Ricky about local pubs.  He replies that The Bull in Llanarthur is nice, and is packed on Friday nights, when there are good bands there.   
"All right, you've made your point"
Mathew admits that she has made her point, but she says that he is right;  
"I'm too young to be in a serious relationship"
“I’m much too young to be in a serious relationship – I want to enjoy myself – do as I please.” 
Ricky is pleased to have a date
Then she very pointedly goes over to the counter and suggests to Ricky, “Let’s go to The Bull on Friday.”   Ricky is very happy, but Mathew, as intended, is not.
"Don't let that come between you and your mother"
Colin advises Aaron, “Don’t let that computer game come between you and your mother –it’s not worth it.”   
"She treats me like a child, Col!"
Aaron protests that she still treats him like a child, but is told that she is worried;  “A lot of people get addicted to online gaming.”
He explains he has to kill everyone else . . .
Aaron explains, “You don’t understand – once you start the game, you have to try and kill everyone else.   It’s a lot more fun than getting smashed playing rugby.”   Colin suggests that he explains this to his mother, 
. . . but he has never won – when he does, he will stop
but Aaron admits, “I’ve never won.   Once I do, I’ll stop – OK?   I promise.”
Colin has to go to the shop, 
"Make sure you're finished by the time I come back"
and tells Aaron to make sure he is finished with that by the time he comes back.   Aaron resumes his conversation with S666;  he types “Getting hassle from Mam – real pain!”
He has a suggestion from the mysterious S666 . . .
The reply comes back, “Use her credit card to buy online currency.”  
. . . and decides to act upon it . . . 
Aaron comes to the conclusion that would teach her a lesson.   
. . . helping himself to Britt's credit card
He goes to his mother’s handbag and takes out her credit card.