11 February 2019

Brenda tells the grandchildren of her plan
Tesni and Guto are told by their grandmother, “If you’ve planned something romantic for Thursday, cancel it!   We’re having a party in the Deri – two-in-one, Valentine’s Day and Ger’s and Jac’s anniversary.”
Guto is not exactly keen on this idea, but Brenda needs their help to think of ideas;  
"Red hearts all over the place"
“I’m going to have red hearts all over the place, with a pink and white banner with ‘Ger and Jac’ on it.”   
Guto wonders why she has to be so soppy, and suggests it would be a better idea to cancel it.
"People could dress as romantic lovers"
Tesni has the idea of fancy dress;  “People could dress up like romantic lovers – we’ll call it ‘Famous Couples of the World Party’!”   Guto asks why his grandmother is going to so much effort, which is not like her.   
"Any excuse to stay here!"
“Well, any excuse to stay here,” she admits, 
"Is the party is good, you can stay here permanently"
and Tesni realises that if the party is good, her Gran hopes to stay there permanently;  she recommends just being honest with their parents, but Brenda maintains this will be more fun.
Are they photos of Pwll Bach?
In the café, Ed is looking at pictures on the laptop 
"I hope there will be a good choice of vintage dresses"
as Kelly remarks, “I hope there will be a good choice of vintage dresses in the shop on Friday, or I’ll have to go online.”   He takes no notice of her, so she asks, “What’s up?”   
"This accounts system is complicated"
He replies that the accounts system is complicated, and she explains, “That’s why I usually do it – because I’m the brains in this relationship!   I think you should go and look for a suit for the wedding – and for the best man, whoever he may be.”
"Have you seen Brenda Parry?"
Tyler comes in, asking if they have seen Brenda Parry, then wonders if Ed is feeling better, as Garry said he had a funny turn on Friday night.   Kelly is worried, 
"I didn't feel very well in the Deri"
but Ed tells her he did not feel very well in the Deri.
“After you left, everyone was going bonkers about Hywel’s plans,” reports Tyler, and Ed wants to know if the scheme is still likely to go ahead, but apparently Gaynor has not heard any more.   Ed closes the laptop and walks away;  Tyler tells Kelly that Garry is looking for Brenda.
Jason is being haragued by his mother
Jason is on the phone to his mother;  “I know you’re trying to help, but it won’t work – that’s why I don’t attend the meetings any more.   Maybe it is different to Gamblers’ Anonymous, but I still don’t want to go!   
"No, you'd never tell Sara!"
“You wouldn’t – no, you’d never tell Sara!   Mam, please don’t blackmail me – yes, all right!   OK, fine – I’ll come!”
"We're going for afternoon tea, after Ifan's hearing test"
Sara comes home with Ifan, and she tells Jason, “You will feel better after you have afternoon tea with Ifan and me – you promised, after the hearing test.”   
"Sorry, Sara, I have to go back to work"
Jason lies that he has to go back to work, and if he could change that, he would.   
"There are rules about working long hours"
She gets out her phone to complain to Dai;  “There are rules about working long hours!” she complains, 
"You don't want me to get the sack!"
but he urges her not to do that, as he does not want the sack.
“I won’t bother asking you next time!” she snarls, 
"Suit yourself!"
“Suit yourself!” and walks out of the door.
"Mam gave me some chips"
In the chip shop flat, Colin is preparing a sandwich when Aaron comes in with some chips from downstairs;  Colin is pleased that he and his mother had made up, 
"Go and ask her, if you don't trust me"
and Aaron says that he is also allowed to have his console back.   “Honest, Col – go and ask her, if you don’t trust me.”
Colin finds that the milk has run out
Colin finds that the milk is very low and will go and get some more from the shop;  Aaron settles down with his console, 
This 'Ben' wants to meet him again . . .
and finds another message from Ben’, enquiring if he wants to meet again, in half an hour in the park.   
. . . and again Aaron is keen to do so
Aaron agrees to go.
"So 'happily ever afters' do exist, then"
Iolo and Tyler come into the café for coffee;  “So ‘happily ever afters do exist, then,” Kelly observes, adding, “It’s just stress with the wedding arrangements, that’s all. 
"Iol, would you be best man?"
“Actually, Iol . . . would you like to be the best man at the wedding?”
"Are you sure Ed would want me?"
Iolo is unsure that Ed would want him as best man, and Tyler jokes that he was best man at DJ’s wedding too;  “Rent a ‘Bestie’ for your party!”   
"Iolo's agreed to be best man!"
Ed comes in and is given the exciting news that Iolo has agreed to be the best man;  he appears to be considerably underwhelmed.
"That was awkward, Ed!"
Kelly tells Ed, “That was awkward!” and he advises her not to make arrangements for him;  apparently, he was going to ask Jason, 
"If you would stop hassling me . . ."
and if she stopped hassling, he would have told her that.   Kelly is becoming exasperated.
Brenda negotiates with Iori
Brenda is on the phone to Iori;  “OK, deal – but only if I get Ger’s and Jac’s clothes free of charge!   What about rent one, get one free?   All right, don’t be like that!”   
"I know how to handle him"
She tells Guto, “Iori always pretends to be angry, but I know how to handle him.   I want you to put the party on Facebook.”   
"Aren't you going a bit over the top?"
Tesni considers that she is going over the top, and is sure she could find some other way to stay there, but Brenda points out that it is all arranged, “And no-one must tell Jac.”
"I want the deposit for the party!"
There is a knock at the door, and Guto lets in Garry, who demands, “I want the deposit for the party!”   Brenda informs him that she cannot pay him now, as she has just paid Iori for the fancy dress.   “I’ll cancel it, then!” he tells her,
"I've got more money at Llandysul"
Then she comes up with the fairytale that she has more money in Llandysul, and Gerwyn can take her there after work, 
"No more excuses, mind!"
but Garry warns her that there must be no more excuses.   
"How are you going to pay him, Gran?"
Guto enquires how she is going to pay Garry, and she says that they should leave it all to her.
Jason has been dragged along to the meeting
Jason and Diane are at the meeting, where she fetches a cup of tea;  
"Escape from Dai for a few hours"
“I know why you were so keen to come here now – free biscuits, and escape from Dai for a few hours,” jokes Jason.
"You have no shame at all, do you?"
“Here you go again – behaving as if there’s nothing wrong – as though this is a joke,” his mother scolds him, “You have no shame at all, do you?   It’s time for you to take responsibility,”
"Well, I came here, didn't I?"
He insists that he is there, but she reminds him, “Only because I came with you to make sure.   
"I will tell Sara everything!"
“If you don’t take this seriously from now on, I will tell Sara everything!”
"Sorry I was so long, Aaron"
Colin returns home, apologising that he has been so long;  “The till in the shop jammed – I had to reset it and everything – it was lucky I was there.”   
He sees the untouched box of chips . . .
Then he finds that Aaron is no longer there, his chips are uneaten, 
. . . and the message on the screen
and on the screen of the television is the message inviting him to the park.   In view of this, Colin quickly leaves the flat again.
After one speaker, it is Jason's turn . . .
One of the people at the meeting has just spoken, and receives a round of applause;  the leader invites Jason to share his experience with the group, 
. . . but he prefers not to say anything
but he says as this is his first time, he would prefer not to.   
"I'd like to just listen this time"
He tells his mother, “No-one has to say anything – I’d just like to listen to this time.”
Diane is disgusted by his attitude
Diane is disgusted by this, and instead would like to say a few words on his behalf;  
"It breaks my heart to see him suffer like this"
“I’m Jason’s mother – as his mother, it breaks my heart to see him suffer like this. And Jason is a parent himself, but he doesn’t think about the effect this gambling is having on his family – about how his son will feel when he is old enough to realise what his father has done.   
"He doesn't see the problems he's creating"
“He doesn’t see the problems he’s creating, the hurt he’s causing us – 
"Because we love him"
“because we love him.”
Is she actually getting through to Jason?
Jason is looking increasingly embarrassed and tearful 
"I hope he'll do what's best for his child, before it's too late"
as she continues, “I just hope – I really hope, that he’ll do what’s best for his child, before it’s too late.”
Jason waits in the park for the second time . . .
In the park, Aaron sits on a bench and waits, 
. . . and again Neville appears
but then looks up and sees Neville approaching, carrying three cans of beer.   He warns that it will be dark before long, but Aaron says he is waiting for someone;  
"Do you want a little swig?"
“Who is she, then?” Neville enquires, “Do you want a little swig?   Dutch courage before the date?”   
"You know what Mam's like!"
Aaron replies that it is not a date, and his mother would lose it, if she found out he was drinking;  “You know what she’s like!”   
"Hope I shall see you again"
Neville leaves, hoping that he may see Aaron again.
Siôn sits with Iolo
In the café, Siôn goes to sit with Iolo, as Tyler is fetching Greta;  Iolo asks how things are going at Morawel, 
"I'm not even allowed in there"
and his father replies that he is not even allowed in there.
"Heard any more about the new road to Pwll Bach?"
Ed comes over with their drinks and asks, “Have you heard any more about the new road to Pwll Bach?”   
"It's not happening – too expensive"
Siôn has been told that it is not happening, as it was too expensive, and Hywel is now having to rethink.
“Gaynor should have thought twice before putting it on social media,” Siôn suggests, 
"The headmistress spreading fake news!"
and Iolo is amused by the thought of the headmistress spreading fake news.   
"That's fantastic news!"
Ed calls it fantastic news, which should be celebrated, as well as the fact that now he has a best man.   Kelly is watching from behind the counter.
"Are you sure tou want me to be your best man?"
“Are you sure you want me to be your best man,” asks Iolo, 
"Of course I do"
and Ed assures him that it is fine, and they will talk about it in the Deri tomorrow. Ed goes upstairs, in a much better humour, 
Kelly is somewhat perplexed by Ed
and Kelly is perplexed.
Colin is on the warpath
Aaron is still sitting in the park, and once more his friend has not turned up, but Colin is approaching;  
"I can't believe you went out on your own"
“I can’t believe you went out on your own, after all that we said – come home!”   Aaron protests that his friend is not there yet, 
"Home, now, Aaron!"
but Colin again exclaims, “Home, now!”
Brenda publicises her party
Tyler has collected Greta, and is about to go into the café, when Brenda  shouts to him that there is a party in the Deri on Thursday;  “The theme is the world’s greatest couples – for Ger’s and Jac’s anniversary!”    Tyler replies that they will be having a romantic meal at home.
She encourages him to ‘boogie on down’ to the Deri, 
Garry threatens her again
but Garry, who is passing, reminds her, “You won’t ‘boogie on down’ with anyone if I don’t get that money!   
“I’m serious!”   She gives the excuse that she has not seen Gerwyn yet, but Garry points out he was sent home from the garage an hour ago.
Very maternal – shifting the debt to her son
Then she has another idea;  “As Ger is doing so much overtime, he can pay you the money, and I’ll pay him back.”   
"As long as I get the money, I don't care!'
As long as Garry gets his money, he does not care.
"I'll tell you next time, all right, Colin?"
When they get back to the flat, Aaron says that next time he will say exactly where he is going.   Colin reminds him, “This is the second time this has happened – how can we trust you?   
"We don't know anything about this friend"
“We don’t know anything about this friend.”
"He's the same age as me"
Aaron says that they know his name is Ben;  “He goes to Ysgol Bro Elli and he’s the same age as me – we chat on that console.”   Colin wonders if Ben has to tell his parents where he is going.   “I don’t know – he can stay out until 8:30pm,” is the reply.  
"You're not staying out that late!"
Colin makes it quite clear that he is not staying out that late, but says, “Look, you can go out, as long as you’re back here by 6 o’clock, and you tell us where you’re going.   This Ben doesn’t sound like much of a friend to me – he didn’t even turn up!”
Then Neville's name is mentioned
“Perhaps if I have been allowed to stay a bit longer, he would have,” Aaron argues, “The only person I saw was Neville,” which surprises Colin.   
"He was there last week, too"
“He was busking – he was there last week, too!   He must be skint.”   Colin now looks concerned, and comments that he must have a terrible voice, with all the smoking he does.   
Colin puts two and two together
Then Colin looks at the screen, and is suspicious.
"I've only just got him off to sleep"
Jason is home from his meeting and wants to see Ifan, but Sara has only just got him off to sleep;  Jason is suitably penitent, admitting that he should have been there, and Sara agrees.
"Things are going to change from now on"
“I’m sorry – things are going to change from now on,” he says, but she has heard that before – always promises, but nothing ever changes.   She asks why she should believe anything he says.
"You and Ifan are my life!"
“Look, you and Ifan are my life!” he stresses, 
"Prove it, then"
so Sara invites him to prove it.   
"I'll cook you anything you want on Thursday night!"
He looks in the kitchen cupboards;  “Rice, tomatoes, pasta – I’ll cook anything you want on Thursday night,” as he hands her a Jamie Oliver cookery book.
"I will do my best, Sara!"
She points out that he cannot cook, but, as he takes out a tin of Heinz beans, he assures her that he will do his best;  
"Look, I'm showing you that I'm serious!"
“Look, I’m showing you that I’m serious – that I want to be here with my wife and my son, all right?   I’ll probably have to go shopping, too, but I’m going to make sure that Thursday night is the best Valentine’s night we’ve ever had!   
Sara hopes that it will be lovely
“Just the three of us – you, me and Ifan – it will be lovely, I promise!”
"That's a bit surprising, after your mood swings"
Kelly comes upstairs to find flowers, which Ed has bought for her;  “That’s a bit surprising, after your mood swings,” she says.   
"I'm sorry – I've been all over the place"
He wants to apologise for being all over the place – and he has been busy, looking for suits.   
He has been looking at suits
He tells her, “I have chosen the ones that match your colour scheme, and I’ve phoned the shop in Carmarthen.   Iolo and I are having a fitting tomorrow.   
"Dinner won't be long"
“Sit down and relax – dinner won’t be long!”
Kelly wonders how he managed to smuggle all the ingredients up to the flat, and he replies, “I do a lot of things that you don’t notice.”   
"Secrets are banned between husband and wife!"
She reminds him that secrets are banned between husband and wife.
As smells the roses, she calls him, “A real romantic!”   
Suddenly, a text message . . . 
At that moment, Ed’s phone sounds, and he sees a message, ‘I know what you did.”   
. . . shatters Ed's composure
Once more, all the cares of the world are back on his shoulders.