13 February 2019

"I want to know the truth!"
Sara tells Jason, “It’s only us here now – so I want to know the truth!”   
Jason remains silent
He continues to stand, silently, in the kitchen doorway, so she snaps at him, 
"Right, I'm going to pack!"
“Jason!   All right, if this is how you’re going to be, I’m going to pack!   If you won’t talk, there’s no point!”   
"I want to know everything!"
This elicits some reaction from him;  “I’ll tell you – what do you want to know?”   She replies that she wants to know everything;  
Jason wipes his eyes
he wipes the tears from his eyes.
"I don't have any peace to play on my console"
At number 10, Ricky and Guto are playing a computer game, and Ricky is upset because he lost;  “You’re so lucky – I don’t have any peace to play on my console any more,” he moans, but Guto tells him it is not always this quiet, especially when his grandmother is around.
"Is Tesni in?"
Ricky broaches the question, “Is Tesni in?” and her brother whistles for her.    
"Oi!   I'm not a dog!"
She runs noisily downstairs, complaining that she is not a dog, and is told that Ricky wants her, which he finds rather embarrassing;  
Ricky is rather tongue-tied
“Er – I was just wondering if you want to play this game with me?” he improvises. 
Guto advises her, “He’s losing – he’s even worse than you!” 
The game is very short – and Tesni wins
so she grabs a handset, and begins competing with him, only taking a few seconds to beat him, and comments that it was easy.   
"I have homework to do"
Then she has to go and complete some homework.
"Wow!"
Ricky gasps, “Wow!”
Hywel is footing the bill again
In the Deri, Hywel asks for a pint for his guest and orange juice for himself;  
"Pwll Bach not going too well, then?"
“So Pwll Bach isn’t going too well,” enquires Garry, “I thought you’d offered to build a new road,” but Hywel moans that it would cost too much, and he has to think of another option.
"What's costing too much is his food and drink tab!"
“I’ll tell you what’s costing you too much – his food and drink tab!” suggests Garry, and Hywel feels as if he is being fleeced.   
Griffiths is changing his mind again
Hywel returns to Ieuan Griffiths, who wants to apologise for misleading him about the new road;  “Looking back, it was a bit stupid.”   Hywel does not know why he listened, 
"I wonder why I'm paying you"
and wonders why he is paying Griffiths.   
"You're not paying me!"
“You’re not paying me!” Griffiths responds angrily, “We’d both be in big trouble if people misunderstood these informal chats we’ve been having.”
He is warned this may be his last 'informal chat'
“You’d better come up with something or it will be our last ‘informal chat’,” Hywel warns him.   Apparently, Griffiths has been looking more closely at the plans, and concludes the only option is a way through Penrhewl’s land.   
"I should have done this a while ago"
Hywel decides he will do something which he should have done a while ago, and leaves the Deri;  
"Are they on Hywel's slate?"
when Garry brings over the drinks, Griffiths asks if they are on Hywel’s slate, and as that is the case, orders a small brandy as well, 
"A freeloader – just as I thought"
confirming Garry’s suspicions.
"So you spent all of Siôn's money!"
Sara has been told the story, and summarises, “So you spent all of Siôn’s money – £10,000!   How did you lose every penny?”   
"I couldn't stop myself, Sara!"
He replies that he does not know – that he could not stop himself;  he had Siôn’s money in his hand and then . . . “It was like I heard someone else’s voice inside, telling me to bet – time after time.”
"This is down to you – no-one else!"
She makes it absolutely clear that this is all down to him and no-one else;  he points out, “I’ve been in a mess, and have been trying to get myself out of the mess.   
"Every time something else goes wrong"
“Every time I do something right, something else goes wrong.”
Sara demands, “Like what?   How serious a mess are you in?   You do know, but you’re scared to tell me!   
"Is that why you went to your mother?"
“Is that why you went to your mother?”   He maintains that his mother dragged it out of him;  “And you prefer to talk to her, rather than come to me?” Sara snarls.   
He argues that he did not know where to turn, 
"You should have turned to me, your wife!"
and she shouts, “You should have turned to me, Jason, your wife!   But if you insist on keeping secrets, what’s the point in us?”   
"Don't you touch me!"
She moves away, not wanting him to touch her.
"I swear I'll never gamble again!"
Once again, he swears that he will never gamble again, 
"You said that last time – and the time before"
but she reminds him, “You said that last time – and the time before that!   I’ve been a fool to listen to you – and believe you.   Perhaps I still don’t know everything – you’ve turned into such a liar.   
"How many more secrets are you hiding from me?"
“Goodness knows how many more secrets you’re hiding from me!”
"Oh, hello, Hywel"
At Penrhewl, Eileen is drinking a cup of tea when Hywel arrives;  he is invited to sit down, 
"It's nice to come up to the farm for a walk"
and comments that it is nice to come up to the farm for a walk and have some fresh air.   Then he asks how Sioned is progressing, but Eileen knows why he is at the farm, 
"I know you've withdrawn your latest plan"
as she phoned the council earlier and knows that he has withdrawn his latest plan.
"A few details need adjusting"
He maintains that a few details need adjusting, but she comments, “I heard you couldn’t afford it – so what do you want?”
"I'd like to put forward an offer to you"
Rather hesitantly, Hywel begins, “I’d like to put forward an offer to you – something that will benefit you and me – a compromise.”   
"I know you'll have to use our land"
She has already worked out that he will have to use their land, but he points out he would be willing to pay.   
"I'll pay rent to you for using the road"
“I’d have to pay for the redesign, and pay rent to you for using the road,” he says.
"And how much would that be?"
Eileen is eager to learn how much money he is offering;  off the top of his head, he suggests a sum of £1000.   “Per month?” she says, eagerly, then adds, “And what if we don’t agree?”   
"That would make things more difficult"
He admits that eventuality would make things more difficult.
"We'll come back to you about that!"
Eileen graciously consents to come back to him on the matter;  “You don’t have any definite figures, and you don’t have any papers or outlines of your plans – you’ve got a lot of work to do.   But, as I said, we’ll get back to you.”   
"Right, I'll go, then"
Realising that he will get no further, Hywel takes his leave of them.
"Don't worry, Jim, he'll be back!"
With a confident smile, Eileen assures Jim not to worry, as Hywel will be back, and he hopes that she is right.
"I won't be able to live with myself"
As he paces up and down, Jason wails that he will not be able to live with himself, knowing how much pain he has caused Sara.   When she and Ifan are away he is at a loss – 
"Both of you are the most important thing in my life"
he does not know what to do with himself;   “Coming home to you and Ifan – both of you are the most important in my life – 
"I'm useless without you!"
“I’m useless without you.”
Sara searches in the kitchen drawers
She suddenly jumps up from the chair and rushes into the kitchen;  searching through the drawers, she demands, “Where is it, Jason?   The savings book – where is it?”   
Jason does not reply
He is unable to answer, as she also looks in the cupboard under the stairs.
"Sara, stop!"
Then Jason urges her to stop, and she begs, “Please tell me you haven’t!   
"You haven't, have you?"
“You haven’t, have you?   
"Tell me that the deposit for the house is secure!"
“Look at me and tell me the deposit for the house is secure!”   
She can already see the answer to her question . . .
His downcast expression gives her the answer, even before he mutters how sorry he is.   She demands how much is missing, and learns that it has all gone.   
. . . and is devastated
She is devastated.
Tesni is in the café 
Ricky is passing the café when he sees Tesni inside;  
"You shouldn't drink lattés in the afternoon"
he goes in and tells her, “Did you know you shouldn’t drink lattés in the afternoon?” but she points out this is Cwmderi, not Italy.   Guto remembers going to Italy once to watch rugby.
"'Look at my biceps' – how boring!"
Tesni turns up her nose;  “Rugby’s fine – it’s the players – ‘look at my biceps’ – how boring!”   
Ricky is not sending a Valentine's card . . .
She asks if Ricky is sending a a Valentine’s card this year, and he replies that he is not.   “You’re not one of those boys who only sends St Dwynwen’s cards!” she says, 
. . . and Guto deduces he had a bad experience in the past
and Guto suspects he has had a bad experience in the past.
“It couldn’t be worse than mine – when a boy sent me his pants!” squeals Tesni, 
Ricky is lost in his memories of Courtney
but Ricky is engrossed in his memories.   Then he goes to fetch some coffees, as he will get a discount.
"We could always present our application to the council"
“If Hywel doesn’t get access to Pwll Bach, we could always present our own application again,” says Jim, 
"We could be silent partners"
but Eileen points out that if Hywel is so keen on having Pwll Bach, perhaps they should let him have it.   They can be silent partners, and can earn a decent sum for doing nothing.
"Sioned's back next week, and she'll need a lot of care"
“With all the protests, I don’t think it’s a good idea to have Cae Glas’s good name associated with a landfill site,” she tells Jim, “Sioned’s back next week, and she’ll need a lot of care.”   
"Yes, you're right about that"
Jim acknowledges that she is right.
"We've backed Hywel into a corner"
Eileen gleefully goes on, “Hywel’s backed into a corner – he’ll accept any offer we give him!”
"I'm ill, Sara – I understand that now"
Jason has tidied up after Sara’s frantic search for the savings book;  he explains, “Look, Sara, I’m ill – I understand that now.   
"I need your help to clear it up"
“I’ve really messed up, but I’m going to clear up that mess.   I need your help to do that – if I could turn the clock back, I would, but I can’t.”
"I want to make sure it never happens again"
She asks how he accessed the money;  “I want to know exactly what you did, how you deceived me, so that it never happens again.”   
"I'll never deceive you again!"
Once more he swears that he will never deceive her again;  
"But I know you will!"
“But you will, I know!” she replies.
"It will be the last time, I promise!"
He says, “I took my passport into the bank – I knew it was wrong, but, Sara, I’m telling you now that will be the last time, I promise!”   
"Your promises are not good enough any more, Jason!'
She makes it quite clear that his promises are not good enough any more.   
"I need space to think"
She picks up her coat and tells him that she needs space to think, but he is adamant that they must talk, and work this out;  
"If you walk out, it will be the end of us"
“Sara, if you walk out of that door now, it will be the end of us, OK?”   She maintains that there is no more to say, however, in response to his pleas, she changes her mind.
Hywel is anxious to be contacted by Penrhewl 
In the Deri, Griffiths is still drinking at Hywel’s expense.   “What’s keeping them?” Hywel demands, looking at his phone, “I thought every farmer liked a bargain.”   
"It's like getting blood out of a stone"
Griffiths comments that his grandfather was a farmer, and bargaining with him was like getting blood out of a stone.   He suggests that Jim and Eileen may have to be offered more.
Hywel grumbles, “Your grandfather was right – nothing in this world is free.   
"I'm ordering a pint – and you're paying!"
“I’m going to order a pint – and you’re paying!”   Then at last his phone sounds – 
Griffiths makes the most of his free drink
he gets up and vacates the Deri.
"Who was the girl who broke your heart?"
At number 10, Guto asks, “Who was she, then?   The girl who broke your heart.   Come on, we’re friends, aren’t we?”   
"An ex-girlfriend, but things didn't work out"
Ricky admits that he was thinking of an ex-girlfriend, but things did not work out. A couple of years have passed since then, 
"It still hurts sometimes"
but it still hurts sometimes.
"How about we buy Tesni a present?"
“How about we go online and get Tesni a present?   I’m not blind, I can tell you like her – we’re not going to buy her underwear, just something nice.”   
"I don't want to appear too keen!"
Ricky suggests sending her a card anonymously, as he does not want to appear too keen.
Hywel turns up at dinnertime
Hywel returns to Penrhewl just as they are eating dinner;  
Jim thought it could wait until tomorrow . . .
Jim assumed that he would be coming over tomorrow, rather than right now.   
. . . but Hywel wants it sorted out tonight
“I want to sort it out tonight if possible,” Hywel insists.   Eileen points out they are still eating their dinner, but he goes on, “I’m seeing my solicitor tomorrow, and I want to know where I stand.”
"£1,000 per month – on one condition . . ."
Eileen agrees that they will accept his offer of £1,000 a month, but on one condition;  
". . . we want to be partners!"
“We want to be partners.”   
"I don't want to share the business with anyone"
Hywel does not want to share his business with anyone, and argues that the rent for the road should be enough.   
Eileen spells it out, “But without the road, there won’t be any business.   We only want a small cut.”   
"Why do you want more than 10%?"
He offers 5%, and then 10%, which are both declined;  “Why do you want more than 10% for doing nothing?” he demands, “You won’t have to lift a finger!”   
"We could take our plan to the council"
Jim reminds him that their business plan still exists, and if he does not agree, they could present it to the council.   
"We want 20%, Hywel!'
“That would cut you out completely,” emphasises Eileen, “We know how much profit there is to be made – we want 20%!”   Hywel has little choice but to accept, 
Hywel is forced to agree the deal
and they shake hands on the deal.   
"No games, no deception – understand?"
“We’re partners now, so no games, no deception – understand?” says Eileen.
They intend to enjoy the rest of their meal now
When Hywel has left, Jim and Eileen are jubilant.
Jason sits, hopelessly
Jason is sitting on the sofa, 
Sara heaves a large case downstairs
when Sara comes downstairs, carrying a heavy case;  “But you said you were staying,” he protests.   
"I'm not going anywhere – the case is for you!"
She points out that she is not going anywhere – the case is for him.
"There's no need for this, Sara!"
“Don’t be silly – there’s no need for this!” he says, but Sara is quite adamant that she wants him out.   “Where am I supposed to go?” he whines.
"Go to your mother – you usually run to her!"
“I don’t know – go to your mother’s – you usually run to her!” she snarls, and he repeats that he has said he is sorry.   
"You're more stupid than I thought!"
“And that’s it, is it?” she replies, “You’re more stupid than I thought!”
He says that she and Ifan keep him going, but she insists, “I don’t want you anywhere near Ifan – or me!   Now, off you go!”   
"Look, I can stay in the spare room"
He pleads that he does not have to leave, but can stay in the spare room.
"I want you out!"
“You’re not listening to me, Jason!   I want you out!” she shouts,   picking up the case;  
The case goes flying into the road
she opens the front door and throws the case into the road.   By the time he has retrieved it, the door has been slammed.
"There's no need to be like this!"
He bangs on the door, urging her to open it, insisting that there is no need to be like this.   
The house lights are turned off . . .
Then he tries banging on the window, but the only response is that the lights are turned off.   
. . . and humiliated Jason is out in the cold
He does not know what to do.