26 February 2019

"He's not going to do it!"
Britt is ranting on the phone, “No – listen to me – he’s not going to do it and that’s the end of it!”   
"They want Aaron to give evidence!"
She tells Colin that it was the police, about Neville’s arrest;  “They want Aaron to give evidence!” and he points out that is only to be expected.
She continues, “No, I won’t allow it – you saw how he was yesterday – he’s upset enough as it is!”   
"He'll have to talk to the police at some point"
Colin maintains that he will have to talk to the police at some point, but she insists, “They’ve found enough evidence, or they wouldn’t have arrested Neville.   We’re talking about my son, not some ‘process’ they have to go through!   
"He's not going anywhere near that police station!"
“I’m his mother, and I’ve made up my mind – he’s not going anywhere near that police station!”
Brenda is taking advantage, as usual
Brenda is making herself comfortable at number 10, with her feet up on the anniversary cushion;  
"Get your feet off our cushion!"
Jaclyn remarks that she has not moved very far, but Brenda insists she has been tidying up.   
“I didn’t expect to see you here, seeing as they got rid of the mice from your flat,” Jaclyn says, 
It appears that the rats have metamorphosed into mice
but Brenda wants to stay for one more night, to make sure they have gone, as you never know with mice.
"Can you put the food away and do the ironing?"
“Right, could you put the food away and do the ironing, please?” Jaclyn asks, but her mother-in-law would like a cup of tea first.   
"I have to go to work to earn a living!"
However, Jaclyn does not have time and has to go to work to earn a living;  “The food bill’s increasing now there’s five of us!”
Gwyneth is moving back into number 9
Gwyneth and Gwern are moving stuff into number 9, 
"You're back, are you?"
and Kath comments, “You’re back here, are you?”   Gwyneth says that it will be nice for Gwern to have a garden for some fresh air;  “What about Ifan?   Doesn’t he deserve a garden?” Kath wonders, “You threw them out.”    Gwyneth replies that she does not know what happened.
"Everything you do is for your own good"
“Maybe not – but I do know everything you do is for your own good,” says Kath, 
"One day you'll regret the way you treat people!"
“One day you’re going to regret the way you treat people!”   
"She needs to be told that"
Brenda is just approaching, and encourages Kath that Gwyneth needed telling that.   “Not that it will make much difference, Kath observes, then looks at Brenda’s mobility scooter.   
Kath fancies her own mobility scooter
“They’re good, aren’t they?   Are they expensive?”   She is told that Gerwyn found it in a car boot sale, and Kath fancies one for herself, asking if one has to be disabled.
Brenda replies that if she sometimes has problems with her knees, she will ask Gerwyn to find one for her;  “I’ll teach you to drive it!”   
"Have you finished the ironing?"
Jaclyn is coming out of the shop with vegetables for Tapas, and demands what her mother-in-law is doing there, and whether she has finished the ironing.   Kath says that she invited Brenda out for some fresh air.   “Well, don’t forget the to-do list,” says Jaclyn.   
"What a slave-driver!"
Kath regards her as a slave-driver.
Colin pays a visit to Garry
Garry is looking at photographs, but hides them when Colin comes in;  
"Can you have a word with her, Garry?"
“The police have phoned Britt – they want Aaron to give evidence, but she won’t let him.   I’ve tried reasoning with her, but you know what she’s like.   Can you have a word with her – she’ll listen to you, Garry.”
"Look, I phoned the police, Colin"
Garry reckons that he has done his share – he phoned the police, but Colin reminds him this is equally important;  
"If we want to make sure Neville is locked up . . ."
“If we want to make sure that Neville is locked up, we don’t have any choice.”   
"Yes, OK, then"
Garry agrees that he will go and talk to Britt, 
He returns to the photos he was looking at
then returns to the old photographs of a group of children, presumably at a children’s home;  they make him think.
"Some people have a nerve!"
In the café, Kelly has told of her disappointment, and Brenda comments, “Some people have a nerve, scamming someone like that!   Weddings are stressful anyway.”   Kelly has not slept all night, 
"I found some nice dresses on eBay"
and Kath asks if she has tried eBay, where she has found some nice dresses.
“You don’t understand, do you?” answers Kelly, “I’d found the perfect dress – every other dress will be second-best!   I might as well face it – my big day is ruined!”    Anita has just come in, and is confident that she has some good news.
"I don't know why I didn't think of it before!"
“I don’t know why I didn’t think about this sooner,” she says, “You wanted something classy, touch of vintage – here you are!”   
Kelly looks very underwhelmed
She produces her wedding dress, and thinks the colour will suit Kelly, although it will have to be taken in.
"Don't take this the wrong way, Auntie Anita"
“Don’t take this the wrong way, but it’s not for me!” Kelly tells her, and then her phone rings;  
"Yes, it's definitely worth a look!"
“Yes, it’s definitely worth a look – thanks!”   She reports that her friend has seen the exact same dress in Carmarthen.   Kelly grabs her coat 
Anita finds herself in charge of the café 
and leaves Auntie Anita in charge of the café.
Brenda sympathises with Anita;  “Family’s the worst – they always think they know best,” 
Brenda and her cream doughnut
she says, as she tucks into a cream doughnut.
"I hear the police have phoned"
Garry arrives at the chip shop flat;  “I hear that the police have phoned,” but Britt is still absolutely adamant that Aaron is not going to see the police.   
"Neville could go free"
He asks the question, “What if there isn’t enough evidence?   If Aaron doesn’t say what happened, Neville could go free.   It wouldn’t be the first time – there’d be nothing to stop Neville from finding another innocent child.”
"Don't guilt-trip me, Gar!"
“Don’t guilt-trip me,” she snarls, but he makes it quite clear that he did not phone the police for her to refuse to take it further. 
"I wanted to kill him, Britt!"
“I’m the one who found Neville – I wanted to kill him, Britt!   But I realised that Aaron wouldn’t get to see Neville being punished.   Of course he doesn’t want to talk – he’s a boy – but if he doesn’t, he’ll bottle it up inside.   
"I know that better than anyone!"
“That won’t do him any good – I know that better than anyone!”   
Britt is convinced
Britt has now been convinced.
Anita is fed up with her noisy customers
In the café, Brenda and Kath are laughing uproariously about something, much to Anita’s annoyance;  
Jaclyn sees her mother-in-law lazing
Jaclyn is passing on the other side of the road and sees her mother-in-law there, so Brenda tries to hide.  
"Your scooter is parked outside!"
“She knows you’re here – your scooter is parked outside,” laughs Kath.
"Has Kelly found another dress?"
Amidst all their cackling, Gwyneth and Gwern come in for two hot chocolates;  “Has Kelly found another dress yet?” Gwyneth asks, 
"Not one that suits 'Madam'!"
and Anita replies that madam’ has not yet found one that suits her.
“Perhaps I’ve got something I can offer,” Gwyneth goes on, 
"How about Sheryl's wedding dress?"
“I found it when I was packing – it’s Sheryl’s wedding dress.”   
Neither Anita nor . . . 
Anita and 
. . . Kath like the sound of this
Kath are horrified at the thought;  Anita does not think that Kelly would agree, and maintains that no-one could blame her.    We don’t have to tell her,” Gwyneth suggests, but Anita does not like the idea at all.
"Let me at least try"
“Let me at least try – I’ll bring it in later,” Gwyneth says, 
"Watch her – she's off her head!"
and Anita is warned by Kath to watch her, as she is off her head.
Colin gives Britt a hug
“Are you sure you don’t want us to come with you?” asks Colin, as Britt prepares to leave with Aaron;  he gives her a hug.
"The only thing you have to do is tell the truth"
Garry assures Aaron that it will be fine;  “The only thing you have to do now is tell the truth.”
"I'm always happy to help the police"
Neville is taken to the interview room, where he alleges that he is happy to help the police at any time;  the DI begins the interview, “It won’t take long until we’ve gone through your computers, 
"Why don't you save time and confess now?"
“so why don’t you save time for us – and yourself, and confess now?”
"I don't have anything to confess"
“How many times do I have to say this?” demands Neville, “I don’t have anything to confess.”   
"Then why are you being accused of grooming Aaron Monk?"
The DI wonders why Colin Evans has accused him of grooming Aaron Monk.   “Colin?   He’s got a vendetta against me – he doesn’t like the fact Britt and I used to be friends,” is the reply, 
"You know what people are like"
“You know what some people are like – they can’t accept that men and women can be just friends.”
"Have you ever organised to meet Aaron Monk?"
“Have you ever organised to meet Aaron Monk in Cwmderi’s park?” she asks him, and he replies that he has not, although he has been there and seen Aaron several times;  he does not deny that, but believes Aaron was waiting for a friend, Ben.   
"I was busking – with a guitar"
Neville was there, busking with a guitar – and that is not a crime.
Elsewhere in the police station, Aaron is taken to a soft interview room, and offered a drink;  
"There's a camera, filming the interview"
the officer points out the small camera filming the proceedings, to ensure that they record the information accurately.
"How did you come into contact with Ben?"
“Can you tell me how you first came into contact with Ben,” he asks, 
"We were playing on the console"
and Aaron tells him of the game on the console, where Ben wanted to join their team.   Then they started talking while they were playing.
"Did he talk about himself at all?"
“Did he talk about himself at all?” is the next question, “His age, for instance.” Aaron replies that he said he was 12, and Ben would ask him sometimes about school, 
"He sometimes asked about Mam"
and sometimes about his mother.   This makes Britt rather uneasy.
“Did he ask you anything that made you feel uncomfortable?” the officer asks, 
"We just played the game"
but Aaron denies this, saying they just played the game.
Gwyneth produces Sheryl's wedding dress
In the café, Anita is not happy to see Gwyneth approaching with the secondhand wedding dress;  “Listen, I do appreciate the offer, 
"I don't think Kelly will agree to it . . ."
“but I don’t think Kelly will agree to it.”  Gwyneth wants her to decide for herself, 
". . . and I don't want her to wear it!"
but Anita makes it clear, “I don’t want to Kelly to wear Sheryl’s wedding dress either.”
"Another disaster!   Why do I bother?"
But at that moment Kelly returns, bewailing, “Another disaster!   Why do I bother?   I’ll never find a dress!”   
"It's gorgeous!"
Gwyneth holds up the dress, and Kelly gasps, “It’s gorgeous!   Where did you get it?”   Before Anita can tell her the truth, Gwyneth maintains that it came from Apêl Maenan, and Kelly has already fallen in love with it;  “You’re a lifesaver!” she squeals, “It’s amazing!”   
Anita does not like this at all
Gwyneth and Anita look at each other.
"I think we did the right thing"
Colin thanks Garry for talking to Britt;  “I think we did the right thing, didn’t we – letting him give evidence?   The thought of him going through it is it difficult to imagine.   
"It can't have been easy for you"
“I’m so glad that you phoned the police yesterday – it can’t have been easy for you.”
"I want him to have the opportunity I never had"
Garry replies that he did it for Aaron;  “I want him to have the opportunity – the opportunity I didn’t get.”
"In the park I saw Neville – he was busking"
Aaron is telling the police officer, “He asked me to meet him in the park, but he didn’t turn up, because his grandmother was ill.   In the park, I saw Neville – he was busking – he busks there all the time.”
"His friends turned up and spoiled Christmas"
Aaron is asked if Neville talked to him, and he replies, “He wanted to apologise for what happened over Christmas – his friends turned up and spoiled Christmas for us all.   I think they had drugs as well.”
"No way was I having drugs in the cottage!"
Britt interrupts to say that no way was she having drugs in the cottage, and Aaron makes it quite clear that he was not given anything.   
"Did Neville say anything else to you?"
He is asked whether Neville said anything else to him in the park;  
"He gave me money for a hot chocolate"
“It was cold, and he gave me money to buy a hot chocolate drink, but that’s all that happened.”
"Did he say he was Ben?"
The police officer then asks if Neville said he was Ben, and Aaron answers that he did not, 
"I've told you everything I know"
but now he wants to go home, as he has told them everything he knows.   He is thanked for all his help today.
"Why hide your true identity?"
Neville is still being questioned;  “Why did you call yourself ‘Ben’?   Why you hide your true identity?”   
"I never called myself 'Ben'!"
He replies that he never called himself ‘Ben’.    “Why did you claim that you were 12 years old, Mr McRoy?” the DI continues.
“Look, I don’t deny that I like playing games online, but I don’t know how to pretend to be a 12 year old boy,” he answers, 
"Children these days are a different generation"
“Children these days are a different generation – they would know straightaway that it was an ageing hippie like me.”   DI Davies asks if he started playing online games with Aaron Monk with the intention of grooming him for sexual favours.
"It will be better for you in the long run"
“If you confess now, it will be better for you in the long run,” she points out, but he wonders how many more times he has to say that she is wrong, and he would never wish anything bad to happen to Aaron.
"I think the world of Aaron"
“Just so you know, I think the world of him,” he stresses;  
Neville's solicitor prompts him
his solicitor looks at his watch, and Neville enquires, “Is there anything else you want to ask?   Or have we run out of time?”
"You're free to go – for now!"
The DI advises him that he is free to go, for now, and Neville rather cockily, wishes her goodbye.
"What's that smell?"
Brenda and Kath are drinking wine at number 10 when Jaclyn returns;  “What’s that smell?” she demands, and discovers that Brenda has taken some mackerel from the freezer.   “That was Gerwyn’s,” Jaclyn snarls, adding, “You haven’t started on the ironing!   You’ve been sitting here, drinking wine, while I’ve been slaving away!”
Red wine all over the commemorative cushion
Brenda gets up and appears to deliberately spill red wine on the anniversary cushion;  Kath thinks it an opportune moment to leave.   “Kath, you can take her with you!” roars Jaclyn, 
"You're going home, mice or no mice!"
“Brenda, go and pack your bag!   You’re going home, mice or no mice – right now!”   
Jaclyn has had enough
She is at the end of her tether.
Colin and Garry sit, anxiously waiting, then Aaron and his mother arrive home, 
Aaron turns on the television
and Aaron immediately turns on the television.   
"Neville has been given bail!"
“Were the police OK with him?” Colin asks, but Britt informs him that Neville has been given bail.
“What if he gets away with this?” she demands.
"I know it wasn't easy for you today . . ."
“I know it wasn’t easy for you today, talking to the police,” Garry tells Aaron, 
". . . but some day, you'll be glad you did"
“But some day, you’ll be glad you did.”