19 February 2019

Someone has been trying to forget his troubles
Amid obvious signs of drinking, 
"I just want to know you're both safe"
Jason is sitting at the bottom of the stairs, leaving yet another message for Sara;  “Look, I just want to know that you’re both safe, that’s all – I want to know where you and that you’re all right.   
"I miss you, Sara – and Ifan"
“I miss you, Sara – and Ifan.   Please, just phone me back.”
There is a knock on the door and Gwyneth bursts her way in;  
"I want answers!"
“I want answers!” she rages, but Jason points out that perhaps she should first ask a question.   “I’ve just talked to my solicitor – you and Sara have let me down!” she continues, 
"Why didn't you tell me you're pulling out?"
“Why didn’t you just tell me that you’re pulling out of buying the house?”
"I didn't know we were"
Jason says he did not have a clue about it, 
"That's the worst excuse I've ever heard!"
and she snarls, “I know you’re stupid, but that’s the worst excuse I’ve ever heard!” He enlightens her that he and Sara are not on speaking terms recently.   
"And I'm paying the price!"
“And I’ve got to pay the price by missing out on a sale!” Gwyneth moans.   
"I'll sort everything out, Gwyneth"
As on every other occasion, Jason promises that he will sort everything out, given some time, and she marches out of the house without another word.
Mathew is home from Cyprus
Matthew has returned from his holiday, 
"Did you spend all week in bed?"
and Rhys wonders why he does not have a tan, suggesting that he spent all week in bed.   Jason comes across and is pleased to see Mathew, as;  
"I want you to work this afternoon!"
“I want you to work this afternoon – you’re not doing anything!”   Rhys advises that they are on their way to Swansea for a few pints.
“Look, Mathew, I just want you to mind the shop while I look for Sara and Ifan – if I knew where they were, I wouldn’t be looking for them!” Jason tells him.   Now Rhys knows that it is true, that they have split up, 
"That's none of your business!"
but is told that it is none of his business.   
"No – I'm not working today!"
Mathew makes it clear that he does not intend to work today.
Debbie is buttering up the boss
Gwyneth has been invited to Maes-y-Deri, where Debbie wants to unveil her latest plan;  she has prepared a large amount of sandwiches.   “Stop crawling, and tell me what you want!” demands Gwyneth, “What stupid idea do you have for me today?”
"Male Grooming!"
“Male Grooming,” says Debbie, excitedly, but Gwyneth cannot see that catching on in Cwmderi.   Debbie insists, “I’ve done my research!” 
"Tyler goes regularly to wax his delicate bits"
and Mark interrupts to say that Tyler goes regularly to wax his delicate bits.
“Not everyone is like Tyler – 
"How about farmers and rugby players?"
“how about farmers and rugby players – have you asked them?” sneers Gwyneth; 
"I hoped you'd be more innovative!"
Debbie had hoped that Gwyneth would be more innovative.   “If there was money in it, I would already be offering it,” is her reply, “Anyway, are you qualified?”
Mark says that Sheryl used to offer waxing, so there must be money to be made, and Gwyneth eventually and grudgingly agrees to try it for a month;  
"If my profits don't increase . . ."
“If my profits don’t increase, you won’t get a penny extra in your wages!”
They will go for some drinks in Swansea
In the café, Rhys says that he was serious about going to Swansea, and Mathew agrees he might as well finish his holiday with a drinking session.   Kelly serves their sandwiches, commenting, 
"And start back at work with a hangover – not clever!"
“And start back at work with a hangover – not clever!   How was Cyprus, then?   Did you find a wife?”
Rhys suggests that Mathew’s eye is still on someone closer to home, 
"Tesni and I are just friends"
and he protests that he and Tesni are just friends.   
Kelly receives a troubling text
Then Kelly receives a text message, which she finds upsetting;  
"Can you cover for me, Gwen?"
she asks Gwen to cover for her and goes upstairs.  
“Why did you have to go and mention Tesni?” Mathew demands, 
"It wasn't me who mentioned Tesni!"
but Rhys points out that he did not do so.
Kelly finds the text very unsettling . . .
Kelly looks at her phone in disbelief, and is about to burst into tears;  
. . . and Ed fears it is another anonymous message
Ed comes in and fears that she has received an anonymous message.   He asks what is wrong, and she shows him the phone;  
"Oh – is that all?"
he breathes a sigh of relief as she tells him, “Mam’s going on holiday with a new ‘friend’ instead of coming to the wedding – 
"Not even a phone call – just a text!"
“not even a phone call – just a text!   As if she was cancelling meeting up for coffee!”
He reminds her that is what her mother is like, but she snaps that he has never met her mother.   
"Do you, Ed?"
He knows that she is upset, but she replies, “Do you?   
"I'm not feeling your support, Ed!   Not at all!"
“I’m not feeling your support, Ed!   Not at all!”
"After I paid £5 for this ham!"
As they make a start with eating the sandwiches, Debbie complains, “I paid £5 for this ham just for her to turn her nose up at my idea!”   
"You have to try to make it work"
Mark tries to encourage her to make it work, but she sighs, “Stupid idea – I don’t have the qualifications – the courses will cost a fortune!”
"Find some certificates online"
Mark suggests she can always find certificates online and print them off – Gwyneth will not be any the wiser; “You have to start believing in yourself, and start advertising.   
"You need to find a hunk to appear on the posters"
“We need to find a hunk who’s just been waxed to appear on the posters.”   She wonders where she is going to find a hunk around Cwmderi, 
"How about this?"
and he tentatively proposes himself for the rôle;  
She gives the impression of not being keen
Debbie regards the prospect with something approaching horror.
"I've made you some chamomile tea"
Ed has made Kelly a cup of chamomile tea, but she protests she has work to do;  he says that he is trying to apologise.   
"Are you serious about this wedding?"
Kelly asks, “Are you serious about this wedding?   Why aren’t you bothered that Mam is not coming?”   
"It's our day, yours and mine"
He replies that it is their day, Kelly’s and his, 
"Nothing to do with you having cold feet?"
but she demands, “Nothing to do with you having cold feet?   No-one has a massive tantrum about the stag do for no reason.   I thought we’d sorted that out, but after your reaction to Mam, I’m not so sure.”
He assures her that he is serious about the wedding, so she pleads with him, “What is wrong, then?”   He remains silent, 
"If you don't want to talk – fine"
so she goes on, “Fine – if you don’t want to talk. . .” and goes back down to the café.
"You look good after your holiday"
Mathew is ironing a shirt when Mark visits the shop flat;  “You look good after your holiday – I bet you’ve got an impressive six-pack underneath that shirt.”   
Mathew is rather confused
Mathew looks at him, rather puzzled, but Mark explains, 
"Deb wants to make some posters"
“I’m looking for a model – Debs wants to make some posters for her new business, male grooming.”
"And she wants me on them?"
Mathew cannot believe that she wants him on the posters, and is not sure about the idea.   Mark continues to badger him, and eventually he agrees, 
"It will only take an hour or two"
with Mark assuring him that it will only take an hour or two, and he might slip Mathew a couple of pints.
"You look like I feel, Jason!"
Ed comes into the Deri, and remarks that Jason looks like he feels;  
"It's true, then, about you and Sara?"
“I take it that it’s true then, about you and Sara,” he says.   Jason admits that he is an idiot, and that Sara has left him.
"I've been looking for you"
Then Gwyneth comes in, saying that she has been looking for Jason;  “I’ve been thinking about the house, and now you don’t want to buy, it’s not on the market any more – 
"I've decided to move back in myself!"
“I’ve decided to move back in myself!”   Jason protests that she cannot do that, but she refers him to the contract, which states that she can.
"Right, I'd better start packing!"
“Right, I’d better start packing,” concludes Jason;  Gwyneth says there is no rush. “No, Gwyneth, if you want your house, you can have your house – all right?” he tells her.   
The reluctant model has arrived . . .
When Mark returns home, with Mathew, 
. . . but Debbie does not seem to welcome him
Debbie demands what he is doing there;  Mark explains that he is happy to have his photo taken, but is in a rush, so they might as well start now.   “Take off your shirt!” he instructs Mathew.
"I haven't forgotten what you did to Vicky!"
Debbie snarls, “I don’t want to see your chest, thank you!   I haven’t forgotten what you did to Vicky.   Anyway, I have already found a model who’s more good-looking,” and Rhys comes out of the kitchen.   She dismisses Mathew, thanking him for his interest.
"No-one will want him after they've seen me!"
“No-one will want to see him after they’ve seen me!” brags Rhys, 
"Well, I'd better be going, then"
and Mathew has little choice but to leave.
Jason is about to pack away a photo of Ifan
As Jason picks up a photograph of Ifan, there is a knock at the door;  it is Ed.   
"Come to help with the packing, have you?"
Jason asks if he has come to help with the packing, but Ed insists that he does not have to do this.   “You were there, Ed, you heard what Gwyneth said,” but he is encouraged to go and talk to her.
“What for?” shouts Jason, “I’ve still lost everything because of my own stupidity!”
"No matter how bad – there is always a way out"
Ed argues that no matter how bad it is, there is always a way out – he has to believe that.   
"It's all right for you, Ed"
“It’s all right for you – you’re getting married to a woman who thinks the world of you!” Jason reminds him.
“Life isn’t easy for me and Kelly, either!” emphasises Ed, “I’ve made my share of mistakes,” 
"Your mistakes are small and trivial"
but Jason dismisses them as small and trivial – nothing compared with what he has done – he has lost Sara and Ifan, and Ed has no idea how that feels.   
"If you want to talk, Jason . . ."
He wants Ed to leave, as he is busy, and Ed reluctantly complies with his wishes.
"I hope you're pleased with yourself!"
When he returns to the café, he tells Gwyneth, “I hope you’re pleased with yourself!” but she points out that neither Jason nor the house is any business of his.
She advises that perhaps Ed should choose his friends more carefully, 
"Be careful who you make an enemy!"
threateningly adding, “And be careful who you make an enemy!”   
"Ed Charles?"
Someone has just walked into the café, delivering some flowers, and is looking for Ed Charles;  he takes them and looks at the accompanying card, 
The flowers come with a puzzling card
which reads, “Looking forward to the St David’s Day Wedding.”  [Somewhat enigmatic, considering the wedding is planned for 3rd March and St David’s Day is the 1st]
"Who are they for, then?"
He is rather puzzled, but then Kelly comes in from the kitchen, and asks who they are for;  
"For you, of course!"
he replies, “For you, of course, to apologise for being such a fool recently.”   
"If you think they are going to make things all right . . ."
She demands if he thinks they are going to make things all right, and he begins, “But . . .”
She points out that ‘but’ is his favourite word, and he explains that he keeps making mistakes, then realising how stupid he has been.   
"Asking me to marry you – and then regretting it?"
“Asking me to marry you – and then regretting it?” she says, but he protests that he loves her more than anything.   “I’d better put these in water – but – that doesn’t mean I’ve forgiven you, not yet, anyway.”
Mark is the photographer
Mark is taking photos of Rhys on his phone;  then he is told to take his top off.   
"You didn't say anything about stripping"
“You didn’t say anything about stripping,” Rhys protests, but Debbie points out he has to show his chest, as she is selling male grooming.   
"I won't ask you to show anything else!"
“Don’t worry – I won’t ask you to show anything else!” she adds, “You’re not hairy, are you?   Or I’ll have to wax you.   If you’re not enough of a man, I can ask Mathew to come back.”
Then follow some topless shots
This prompts Rhys to change his mind and he removes his shirt;  Mark takes a few more photos, and then Rhys decides he has had enough.   
"They're rubbish, Mark!"
Debbie calls the photos, “Rubbish!” and says she will take the next lot.   
"You need to have proper photos taken"
Rhys is adamant that they need to have proper photos taken, but Debbie demands where she is going to find the money to pay for a photographer.
Mark suggests he could ask Colin, 
"Colin?   I want a decent photographer – not a clown!"
but Debbie replies, “I want a decent photographer, not a clown!”
Ed has packed a bag . . .
In the café flat, Ed has packed a bag, and is looking for something in the drawers;
. . . but is interrupted by Kelly
Kelly comes upstairs, and wants to know what is happening.   “Simple question, Ed, what’s going on?”   He lies that he is checking the date for the honeymoon, 
"We're going to York – not New York!"
and she reminds him they are going to York – not New York.
"I want thue truth this time, Ed!"
“Right, I want the truth this time, please!” she tells him.   
"It's all too much for me, Kel!"
Again he maintains that it is too much for him – everything that comes with the wedding;  “So you’re doing a runner?   
"What's that bag, then?"
“What’s that bag, then?” she enquires.   He says that he has to wash his rugby kit, but stops her when she goes to look.
"So you're leaving"
She comes to the conclusion that he is leaving, 
She regards his ramblings as somewhat comical
but he pleads, “I want you to come with me – today – now!   We’ll go abroad and find a small beach, and get married on it – just you, me, and someone to take the service – 
"What do you say, Kelly?"
“what do you say?
"I've caught you running away!"
Kelly tells him, “If I hadn’t come up here, you would have left without a word!   Packing first, and then talking?   I don’t think so!   I’ve caught you running away!” she screams.
She is about to cancel the wedding
She gets out her phone to cancel the wedding, but he protests she has not listened to a word he has said.   
"But I don't want the fuss!"
“I want you to be my wife more than anything!   But I don’t want the fuss!”
Kelly makes it quite plain to him, “If you marry me, it’s all or nothing, right?   You either stick to the arrangements, or you forget it – it’s up to you!   
Kelly spells out her ultimatum
“We’re getting married in two weeks, or you’re leaving – now.”
"All right – I'll go and unpack"
Ed agrees he will go and unpack.
Jason has found a box of papers . . .
Jason comes downstairs with a box file, and looks through its contents.   
. . . amongst which is a Life Insurance Policy
He finds a Life Insurance Policy, which he studies, 
It looks as if his mind is made up
and appears to reach some kind of decision.