11 March 2019

"Bye then, Mam"
Gerwyn is talking on the phone to his mother, and is convinced that she is lonely;  
"Pat died four or five months ago"
“Especially now Pat Pot has gone – she died four or five months ago.”   Jaclyn replies that she has other friends, and reminds him that his mother was too busy to go food shopping last week.
"Do you think she's lying?"
“Do you think she’s lying?   Why would she do that?” Jaclyn demands, 
"I'll go and see her this afternoon"
and Gerwyn decides to go and see her this afternoon.   “No – Garry will dock your pay,” she argues, but he says that there are some things more important than money.
"Why doesn't Tesni go and see her?" 
Tesni comes in and her mother suggests that she should go to see her Gran;  “You’re seeing the dentist in Llandysul – Dad thinks Gran is lonely.”   
"I shall only worry about her"
He says that he will only worry unless he finds out, 
"Yes, OK, I'll call and see her"
and Tesni agrees to go.
Businessman Hywel swaggers into the Deri
Hywel marches into the Deri and immediately Gaynor wants a word with him;  
Gaynor complains about the toxic smoke
“About the toxic smoke from Pwll Bach that suffocated the village this weekend.   It was disgusting, Hywel, I couldn’t open the windows for two days!”
"It was pupils from your school who started the fire"
He reminds her that it was pupils from her school who started the fire;  “I wouldn’t point the finger if I were you.   Some sympathy would go a long way here – that fire could have caused a lot of damage if it had not been stopped.”
Then Ffion joins in . . . 
Ffion walks in, and when she has found out what the argument is about is equally scathing about Pwll Bach, stressing that she had to re-wash all her clothes;  “They smelled awful coming off the line!”
. . . followed by Mark . . .
Mark joins in the condemnation;  “Mam was throwing up out the back – the smell turned her stomach.   You can expect a mouthful from her!”   Gaynor had known from the start that Pwll Bach would be nothing but the trouble, 
. . . and even Beti agrees
and Beti agrees with her.
"Well, tough!"
Hywel informs Gaynor, “Well, tough!   Pwll Bach’s open, and that’s the end of it!   I wish I had as much time as you to complain about everything – but I have a life!”
That's right, Hywel, run away!" 
As he leaves the pub, she shouts after him, “That’s right, Hywel, run away!” 
"He needed to be told!"
and Ffion confirms that he needed to be told, but Gaynor predicts that he will not listen.   
"I shall contact my lawyer!"
She is going to contact her lawyer, to find out what their rights are in a situation like this.
"Would I be risking my life?"
Debbie is about to start cleaning the salon windows when Rhys passes;  “What’s this I hear about you?   Would I be risking my life if I was pampered at the salon – seeing as you don’t have any beauty therapy qualifications?”   
Jaclyn is amused
Jaclyn is standing nearby and looks quite amused, as he goes on, 
Debbie has no answer
“How did you think you’d get away with making fake certificates?   But fair play for trying, I suppose!”
"Before you caused someone serious harm!"
Jaclyn pipes up, “We should be glad the male grooming only lasted a week, before you caused someone serious harm!” 
Debbie and her bowl of water beat a hasty retreat
so Debbie picks up her bowl of water and retreats into the salon.
"Thanks for putting that up, Dan"
Ffion thanks Dan for putting up a poster about the ‘Heart Race’ in the Deri, 
Then Ffion comes face to face with Rhys
then meets Rhys in the doorway, and feels rather awkward.   Gaynor joins them and asks when is the next training session;  
"How about tonight?"
“How about tonight?”   She remarks that Ffion missed last week’s session.
"You want the year 9 work plan tomorrow!"
Ffion replies that she is busy tonight, emphasising “You want the year 9 work plan tomorrow morning!” but Gaynor says that can wait until Wednesday.   
"OK, we'll meet after school"
They agree to meet after school today.   Rhys considers that he and Ffion should have a chat, 
"Sorry, I've got to go"
but she says she has to go.
Debbie is cancelling customers' appointments
In the salon Debbie is phoning one of her customers to cancel his waxing and head massage appointment;  he does not seem to be very pleased.   
"Why are you so miserable?"
Then Iori comes in and wonders why she looks so downcast;  “You’re all smiles in the photos you posted on Facebook – there’s a fantastic photo of you and Mark outside the chapel!”
Debbie admits that she loves weddings, 
"Tell Uncle Iori all about it"
and he urges her to tell Uncle Iori all about it as he puts on the kettle.   “I can’t believe a week that started so well has ended so badly,” she explains, 
"You haven't heard what Mark did, have you?"
“You haven’t heard what Mark did, have you?   He told everyone that I don’t have any beauty therapy qualifications.   
"Why doesn't anything ever go right for me?"
“Now everyone is laughing at me – how could he be so stupid?   We barely spoke all weekend.   Why doesn’t anything ever go right for me?”
Rather an impressive clock
Under the impressive clock at Brenda’s flat 
Brenda is disturbed by the arrival of . . .
she is sitting alone when the doorbell sounds;  
. . . her grand-daughter
she is delighted to see that it is Tesni, who explains she is on her way to the dentist, 
"He knows I don't like Sudoku!"
and hands her Gran some books of Sudoku from Gerwyn, which are definitely not appreciated.
The calendar shows Bingo on Mondays . . .
Tesni glances at the calendar and sees that Bingo is listed at 2:00pm;  she says she will go if her Gran is on the way out, but she replies that she does not go any more.   
. . . but since Pat's death, it has lost its attraction
“Half of it was going for lunch with Pat first, and a brandy or two in the Lamb, but I can’t do that now.   It’s not the same.   Anyway, I don’t want to talk about me – how you are is what’s important – and how’s that lovely boyfriend?”
"So Pat was your partner in crime, was she?"
Tesni reports that she has not seen much of Mathew this weekend, and goes on, “So Pat was your partner in crime, was she?” 
"Do you want some tea – and a biscuit?"
but Brenda again changes the subject.
"It's so embarrassing!"
“It’s so embarrassing, having to cancel all of these appointments,” whines Debbie, “Gwyneth’s afraid of being done for false advertising,” 
"Gwyneth's overreacting!"
but Iori says that she is overreacting.   “I’m lucky I still have a job,” she continues, 
"And I won't get a pay rise now!"
“And I won’t get a pay rise now!   I don’t know how we’ll pay for a timing belt for the car.”
Mark arrives, to a frosty reception
Then Mark walks in with the post, and Iori remarks that Debbie thinks everyone in the village is talking about her after he put his foot in it the other day.   
"Rhys Llywelyn was laughing at me!"
“Rhys Llywelyn was laughing at me earlier, thanks to you!’ Debbie snarls, “He’s a customer – and it’s not nice to have people mocking you!”
"I don't know what else I can do"
Mark has said that he is sorry, and does not know what else he can do;  “Show some sympathy and support!” she suggests, then, 
"Why can't you be more like Gerwyn?"
as she sees Gerwyn walking past, adds, “Why can’t you be more like Gerwyn?   He makes a big fuss of Jaclyn every chance he gets – 
"He organised a fantastic party for her"
“he organised a fantastic anniversary party for her.   And Ed went out of his way to make sure Kelly had a day to remember.   
"What do I get from you?   Hassle!"
“What do I get from you?   Hassle!”   
"Get out – I don't want you here!"
She throws him out of the salon, shouting, “I don’t want you here – you’re only making things worse!”   Iori appears rather alarmed at this development.
"Is that you and Pat?"
Tesni notices a picture of her Gran and Pat, which was taken at Blackpool, and remembers the music which was constantly playing and drove her mother mad.   Once more, Brenda does not want to talk about the old days;  
"You can't turn the clock back!"
“You can’t turn the clock back,” she insists, “Do you fancy a day out one day?”
Tesni is very busy the next couple of weekends
Tesni says that she is going to Swansea with Math on Saturday, and has a lot of homework to catch up with, then next weekend she is off to Cardiff.   “I’ll phone you the second I’m free,” Tesni promises, 
"I have to go now"
and then has to leave for her appointment.
"No-one cares about me!"
Hywel moans to Rhys that no-one cares about him, Eileen or Jim;  “If Pwll Bach had burned to a cinder, nobody would care.”
"When are you going to stop complaining?"
“When are you going to stop complaining?” demands Rhys, “All I’ve heard for the last half-hour is Pwll Bach this, Pwll Bach that!   
"Do something to support the 'Hearts Race'!"
“If you want to be seen in a good light, go and change their minds.   Why don’t you do something to support the ‘Hearts Race’?   Sponsor it, or contribute something towards the raffle – something to show that you care about the people of this village.”
"I know the very thing!"
His father has thought of the very thing, 
"There's an 'Ancestry Pack' here somewhere"
and goes in search of it;  “There’s an ‘Ancestry Pack’ here somewhere – I won it at the West Wales small businesses dinner – it’s worth a lot of money.”   
"I'll phone Gwyneth to tell her!"
He eventually finds it, and will phone Gwyneth to tell her.
"I think Dad is right"
When Tesni returns home, she believes that her father is right;  “She definitely misses Pat and she’s stopped going to bingo, whist and things.   She asked me to go for a day out but I can’t do anything for two weeks.   
"I'm sure she's on a 'downer'"
“I feel so guilty – I’m sure she’s on a downer’.   She changed the subject when we started to talk about her – and she was nothing like she was when she stayed with us.”
"She drives me up the wall!"
“Don’t suggests that she moves back – she drives me up the wall!” Jaclyn protests, but Tesni points out that living here might also drive her up the wall.   
"Don't say a word to your father!"
When Gerwyn comes in, Tesni is instructed not to reveal anything to her father, so she makes a hasty exit, 
"I'm going to see Math"
saying that she is going to meet Math.
"She's going out to lunch with someone tomorrow"
When questioned by Gerwyn, Jaclyn lies that Brenda is going out to lunch with someone tomorrow, and is apparently very excited about it.   
"See, you have nothing to worry about"
“You see, Ger, you have nothing to worry about.”
Ffion and Gaynor make a public exhibition of themselves . . .
Ffion and Gaynor are undergoing their training session in the rather too public surroundings of the High Street, 
. . . providing light entertainment for Llinos
and are watched by Llinos, who is working at the shop.   At last they are permitted to stop, 
"I shall win the race!"
and Gaynor is confident that she will win the race;  “It’s a shame you missed last weeks session,” she says, and Rhys points out she made up for it on Friday.
"I gace Ffion a metabolics lesson at the flat"
“I gave Ffion a metabolics lesson – I went over to the flat,” he explains, 
This rankles with Gaynor
and Gaynor resents the fact that she is getting private tuition.   
Ffion and Rhys look at each other
Ffion and Rhys look at each other.
"She gave you a mouthful, didn't she?"
Iori goes to Maes-y-Deri to check that Mark is all right;  “She gave you a mouthful, didn’t she?”   Mark cannot understand what is wrong with her, 
"I always try to support her!"
as he always tries to support her, and has already said sorry several times.
“Well, we all make mistakes, don’t we?   Put the kettle on,” Iori continues, 
"I'm not sure that it's just last week"
“To be honest, I’m not sure it’s just last week that’s upset her – did you notice how she was naming married men as her perfect partners?   
"I think it's been eating away at her"
“Gerwyn’s married, Ed’s married now, and Debbie loves weddings.   She’s been going on and on about Ed’s and Kelly’s wedding lately – I think that’s been eating away at her – that she doesn’t have a ring on her finger.”
"You're not serious?"
Mark cannot believe that he is serious, but Iori points out that she may be jealous;  “You’re not suggesting I should propose, are you?” asks Mark, 
"Some bling on her finger is bound to lift her spirits!"
and is told that some bling on her finger is bound to lift Debbie’s spirits.   Iori maintains that he would never joke about affairs of the heart.
"You're upset about the metabolics?"
The training session is nearing its end with some stretching, and Ffion senses that Gaynor is upset about the metabolics;  
"This race is meant to be fun"
“This race is meant to be fun,” she says, but Gaynor insists that she must be taking it seriously if she is taking private lessons.   
"What else are you hiding from me?"
“I thought we were supposed to be having lessons together,” she goes on, “It just makes me think what else are you hiding from me?”   
"If you're going to be childish, I'm going!"
Ffion decides that if Gaynor is going to be childish about it, she is going;  
Is that a wry smile I see before me?'
she 
There is definitely something brewing here
and Rhys exchange glances as she heads for home.
Brenda stands in the kitchen . . .
Brenda stands dejectedly in her kitchen, then walks noisily into the lounge, 
. . . then looks at the clock . . .
looks at the rather elaborate clock, which shows half past five, and wonders what to do.   
. . . before noticing the approach of Jaclyn
Then she notices Jaclyn approaching on the path outside, 
She puts on a suitably nostagic expression . . .
quickly sits down and looks nostalgically at a photograph.
. . . which Jaclyn cannot fail to notice . . .
Jaclyn peers in through the window to see what she is doing, looks somewhat sympathetic, but turns and walks away.   
. . . and is pleased with her performance
Brenda appears pleased that another of her devious little ploys seems to be working.