19 March 2019

"Whose idea was it to go to Tapas?"
Jason asks Sara whose idea it was to go to Tapas;  she tells him that his mother suggested it, and also paid for it.   
"She wanted us to have a night out"
“She wanted us to have a night out together, and she’s promised to look after Ifan.”   
"We'll have a bottle of champagne as well, then"
Jason is quite impressed, and decides that they will have a bottle of champagne as well.   
"We haven't been out for ages"
“We haven’t been out for ages, have we?” she says, and he is looking forward to it.
Then Jason focuses on the rather disreputable pedal bin
She leaves for work, but as soon as she has closed the door, his attention moves to the rather battered pedal bin.
Siôn is delivering the latest Cwm Ni
Siôn is out in the street, delivering copies of Cwm Ni, as two of the ladies from Cwrtmynach who usually do it have flu.   
"Come in for a cup of tea"
Tyler invites him in for a cup of tea, as he deserves a break.
"Look – two tickets for Sunday!"
Mathew notices Tesni walking past the shop and informs her that he has two tickets to the game in Cardiff on Sunday;  “My friend couldn’t come – we’ve been so lucky!” 
Tesni says she has never been to the stadium before, 
"Will your parents be OK with it?"
and he adds, “I’ve booked us somewhere to stay in Cardiff on Saturday – will your parents be OK with it?”
"We don't have to tell them everything"
She replies, “We don’t have to tell them everything, do we?” and looks very happy.
Iolo is Ancestry researching
Iolo is consulting the Ancestry app on the laptop, and tells his father, “You would love this – it’s great for someone who’s interested in ancestry.”   
"Not for me – I have to go shortly"
Siôn refuses a sandwich, as he will have to leave shortly.   Iolo continues, “Do you remember when I was small, and we used to go round cemeteries?”   Siôn recalls that they were looking for his great grandmother’s grave.
"A story about Uncle Arthur, Penrhiwceiber"
Iolo enlightens him, “Well, this starter pack would have saved us all the fuss – there’s loads of information here, look, there's a story about Uncle Arthur, Penrhiwceiber.”   
"He won the bass solo at an Eisteddfod"
Siôn can remember that he won the bass solo at the National Eisteddfod in the 1920s.
"You'll only find crooks and con-men"
Iolo suggests that they could look up the history of Tyler’s family, but he is sure they would only find crooks and con-men on his father’s side;  “I would prefer it if you left my family alone,” he says, 
"Come on, let's have a name
but Iolo insists that he wants a name.
“OK, try Edith Davies then,” Tyler replies, and Siôn must go, as he has work to do;  “I don’t think Owain Glyndwr will come up in the mix,” Tyler predicts.
Gerwyn is about to return to the garage after lunch, but is ordered by Jaclyn to clear up his plate, as she is not his skivvy.   
Tesni arrives to pick up a book
Tesni comes home to pick up a book and makes an announcement;  
"I'm going to the game against Slovakia!"
“I’ve got a ticket for Wales’ game against Slovakia on Sunday, through Luned.”   Tesni’s mother did not know that she was interested in football, but she answers that her father enjoyed himself in Bordeaux so much that she wanted to see a game.
“Are you going on the bus?” Jaclyn asks, “There are a lot of people going, apparently,” 
"We're staying with Luned's sister in Cathays"
but she is told that Luned has a car, and that her sister has offered them a place to stay – she is a student who lives in Cathays, and they will sleep on her floor.
"I wish you could get me a ticket!"
Gerwyn is jealous, and wishes she could get him a ticket, 
Guto knows that something devious is going on
but Guto suspects that there is more to it than this.
There is rubbish on the kitchen floor . . .
At Bryntirion, Jason is on the floor, piecing together the torn up scratchcards, 
. . . as Jason reassembles the scratchcards
to see if he has won anything, when Sara returns unexpectedly, saying that she forgot her phone.   
Sara is incandescent with rage
She is outraged when she sees what he is doing;  “How many did you buy?   Are there more of them?”   He assures her that there are only what are in the bin.
"I'm supposed to believe that?"
“And I’m supposed to believe that?” she rages, “After everything we’ve done to help you, this is how you repay us?”   
"I'm sorry, Sara!"
Once more he rather lamely says that he is sorry, 
"Your apologies don't mean anything any more!"
but she shouts, “Your apologies don’t mean anything any more, Jason!”
"We're going to have a great weekend!"
Outside APD, Mathew tells Tesni, “We’re going to have a great weekend!   
"What time is 'Luned' leaving on Saturday?"
“Now what time is ‘Luned’ leaving on Saturday?”   Guto is watching this exchange from across the road.
"Her 'sister' is expecting us about midday"
“I would say that her ‘sister’ is expecting us around midday!” she replies, and Matthew cannot wait for the weekend.   
"Hey, Luned!"
Guto walks across the road, and addresses Mathew as, “Luned!   Do you have a spare ticket?   You managed to get two.”   
"You don't want Mam and Dad finding out"
Mathew points out that it took a lot of hassle, but Guto continues, “I’m sure you could get another one – you don’t want Mam and Dad finding out, do you?   
"It's all right – I'll pay for it and go on the bus"
“It’s all right – I’ll pay for it, and I’ll go on the bus.”   Mathew is sorry, but he cannot help.
The clear-up is about finished
Jason has just about picked up all the rubbish and returned it to the bin, then his mother returns, asking what has happened;  
"He can tell you what's happened!"
Sara snarls, “He can tell you!   I’m going to pick up Ifan.”   
"Are you ever going to recover?"
Diane sees that still in his hand is the remains of a scratch card, and wonders if he is ever going to recover.
"Jailed for stealing  a loaf of bread in 1889"
According to his research, Iolo has discovered that Edith Davies was a policeman’s daughter, and was jailed for stealing a loaf of bread in 1889.   
"Her father was probably dodgy as well!"
“I told you – crooks and con-men!” laughs Tyler, “And I wouldn’t be surprised if her father was dodgy as well.”
“We can go back further, as far as the records go,” Iolo tells him, 
"The more we look, the more it costs"
“But there’s one snag – the more we look, the more it costs.”   Tyler would not mind going back a generation or two, perhaps, 
"Are you sure you want to do this?"
but it appears that would cost him £200, and he is asked if he is sure he wants to do this.   
Tyler appears to have got the ancestry bug
Tyler’s interest has been roused, and he hands over his credit card.
"What's your game, hassling Math for a ticket?"
When Guto gets home, he is reprimanded by Tesni;  “What’s your game, hassling Math for a ticket?   You’re not going to tell Mam and Dad, are you?”    He says that he was only winding Mathew up, and Tesni reports that he has found a lush place for them in Canton.
"Canton?   I thought you said Cathays"
Unfortunately, their mother has come downstairs and overheard;  she remarks, “Canton?   I thought you said you were staying in Cathays,” 
"It's just a change of plan"
but Tesni says that the arrangements have changed.   “OK, what’s going on?” Jaclyn demands, and Tesni immediately decides to go out.   
"There's nothing to say, Mam"
Guto tells his mother that there is nothing to say.
"Why was she in such a hurry?"
Gerwyn returns, wondering why his daughter was in such a hurry, and why his wife is looking so serious.   
"Madam is playing games"
“Madam is playing games!” she informs him.
It is very silent at dinnertime
Around the dinner table at Bryntirion it is very sombre;  Dai ignores Jason’s request to pass the salt, 
Diane has to pass the salt
and Diane has to do it instead.   
"Even worse, I've let myself down!"
“I’ve let you all down – I realise that.   But even worse, I’ve let myself down,” confesses Jason.   
"You can say that again!"
“You can say that again!” growls Dai, “How many times have I heard you say ‘sorry’ before?   
"We've put a roof over your head and food in your belly!"
“We’ve put a roof over your head and food in your belly!”   Diane tries to stop him, but he is determined to continue, 
"Do you realise how much you've hurt us?"
“You do realise how much you’ve hurt us, don’t you?   I don’t think you do, or you wouldn’t carry on the way you are, 
"Where's your self-respect, man?"
“scrabbling around in the rubbish!   Where’s your self-respect, man?”
Sara decides that is enough and tells Dai to stop;  
"You're right – I'm a disgrace to you all!"
Jason gets up and declares, “You’re right – I’m a disgrace to you all.   I’m sorry – I don’t deserve to live here!”   
"Jason, come back!"
He walks out of the door, ignoring Sara’s pleas for him to stop.
"I've just had enough!"
Dai groans, “I’ve just had enough!” 
"Did you have to go on and on?"
but Diane demands whether he had to go on and on.   “Oh, I see – it’s all my fault now, is it?” he roars.
"What's so important, then?"
Tesni and Mathew have been summoned by text, and arrive at number 10;  “What’s so important that I had to come back?” Tesni wants to know.   
"I'm upset – and so is your mother!"
Gerwyn announces that he is upset, and so is her mother.
“Your brother did not need to say anything – I knew you were lying!” Jaclyn exclaims.   
"I knew you'd react like this!"
Tesni admits that she may have told a little lie, but she knew they would react like this;  they will not trust her.   
"Well, you keep lying to us!"
Her father says she cannot blame them, as she keeps lying to them.
“Come on, Dad!   Would you have let me go if I’d told the truth?” she demands, 
"If you had been straight from the start . . ."
and Gerwyn maintains that if she had been straight with them from the start, he would not have minded.   He would have trusted her and treated her like an adult.
"I put Tesni on the spot . . ."
At last Mathew manages to get a word in;  “I put Tesni on the spot – I got a deal and booked it without checking with her first.   
". . . so please don't blame her"
“So please don’t blame her.”   Gerwyn stresses that a lie is a lie, and Tesni is really sorry.
Her father looks characteristically angry, but Jaclyn accepts her apology, 
He grudgingly accepts the apology
and, reluctantly, he has to do the same;  Tesni and Mathew leave the house.
Someone runs down the lane
In a dark country lane, someone can be seen running;  
Jason is exhausted
they draw closer and we can see that it is Jason, who is exhausted.   
He is passed by a car . . .
A car passes him 
. . . and sits down on the verge
and he sits on the verge by the road.
"So you got that third degree, did you?"
In the shop flat, Tesni hands a cup of tea to Sioned, who comments, “So you got the third degree, did you?”   Tesni replies that her father does not trust her, and Sioned wonders what she has done.   
"I was caught drinking underage"
“I got caught drinking when I was underage – I was on a school trip – Mam and Dad work called in, and there was loads of hassle.   That’s how he is – he never lets things go!”   
"At least, you can go to Cardiff"
Sioned reminds them that at least they can go to Cardiff, 
"We're going to have a fantastic time!"
and Mathew predicts that they are going to have a fantastic time.   
The next car stops near Jason . . .
Another car approaches the bedraggled figure sitting by the roadside;  it stops, and Siôn gets out to investigate.   
. . . and Siôn gets out to investigate
“Jason, what are you doing out here?” he asks, 
"I'm fine, Siôn – you can go"
but Jason insists that he is fine, and that Siôn should go.
“You’re freezing,” Siôn continues, ignoring Jason’s pleas to be left alone;  “I’m not leaving you here – I’ll take you back to Bryntirion.”   
"No, I'm not going back there"
However, Jason is determined he is not going back to Bryntirion, 
"You're coming with me to Y Felin"
so Siôn will take him to Y Felin instead, and will not take no for an answer.
Diane waits with Ifan
Diane is waiting with Ifan, and then Dai and Sara return from searching for Jason, 
"There's no sign of him"
and report that there is no sign of him;  Dai decides that he must have gone to stay with a friend somewhere, but Sara points out that did not take his coat, or his phone.   
"Did you have to go on and on, Dai?"
“Did you have to go on and on earlier?” asks Sara, and Diane agrees that Dai was to blame.
"I was trying to make him realise"
He replies, “I was just trying to make him realise how much he’s hurt everyone – and he has, hasn’t he?   You can’t deny that.”   
"Remember what he tried to do"
Sara reminds him of what Jason tried to do before, but he says, 
"He won't try something like that again!"
“There’s no need to worry about that – he won’t try something like that again!   You’ll see, he’ll walk back through that door any minute now.”   
"Ifan should be in bed by now"
He looks at his watch and finds it is almost ten;  “You should be in bed,” he tells Ifan, “Right, does anyone want a cup of tea?”   Sara is going to phone the police, which Diane thinks is a good idea.
Jason has a warming drink . . .
Meanwhile, Jason, wrapped in a blanket, is enjoying a hot drink at Y Felin, 
. . . and a hot water bottle
and Siôn also brings him a hot water bottle.   
"You deserve an explanation, Siôn"
“You deserve an explanation,” he tells Siôn, “To tell you the truth, I don’t quite know where to start.   
"My family hate me, and I don't blame them"
“Things have come to a head – my family hate me, and I don’t blame them.   
"Gambling – I'm an addict!"
“Gambling – I’m an addict!   I’ve lost every penny we had.”
"Are you getting help?"
Siôn realises that is why they are living at Bryntirion, and asks if he is getting any help;  
"I'm finding it hard!"
“I’ve been going to Gamblers Anonymous – I’m finding it hard,” Jason answers.  
Siôn wants to phone Sara, as she will be worried, but Jason begs him not to do so;  
"You're welcome to stay here"
“You’re welcome to stay here,” Siôn assures him, but Jason does not want to do that either.   “You’re not going out in the cold again,” Siôn warns him.
Jason wants to go to the police station
“Would you be willing to take me to the police station, please?” Jason asks, “It’s time to take responsibility – and confess everything!”   
"Why don't you go in the morning?"
Siôn suggests that he sleeps there tonight and can go to the police tomorrow, but Jason is adamant, 
"If you won't take me, I'll walk – all right?"
“If you aren’t willing to take me to the police station, I’ll walk – all right?”
Siôn maintains that he is in no state to go anywhere, but Jason says he has no choice;  
"Please, Siôn!"
“Please, Siôn,” he begs, 
"Come on, then"
and Siôn finally agrees;  they leave the house together.
"Should I phone the police again?"
At Bryntirion, they are still awaiting news, and Sara wants to ring the police again, or perhaps go out and look again with Dai, 
"What's the point?"
but he argues,   “Where can we go?   Drive around for hours and hours?   No, what’s the point?   I’m sure he’s safe with some friend somewhere.”
There is a knock at the door
Then they are all surprised by a knock at the door;  
"You must be worried about Jason"
they find that it is Siôn, who knows that they must be very worried about Jason.   
"I took him to the police station"
“He’s safe – I took him to the police station – but I’m not sure quite sure what he has done.”
Jason sits in an interview room . . .
Jason is sitting in an interview room, 
. . . waiting to be dealt with 
looking no less troubled.