12 March 2019

Mathew has a flyer about the 'Hearts Race'
Sioned is drinking a cup of tea in the flat when Mathew brings in the post – two bills and a flyer for the ‘Hearts Race’.   “I’m gutted I won’t be well enough to run tomorrow,” growls Sioned, but Mathew says that the consultant might have some good news for her today.
"I won't be running tomorrow"
“Even if I get excellent news, I won’t be running tomorrow!” she protests, “Are you sure you don’t mind taking me to the hospital?”   
"Change of plan, Tesni"
Tesni arrives and Mathew has to inform her there has been a change of plan;  there is a lambing crisis at Penrhewl, and Eileen cannot take Sioned to her appointment, so he is doing so instead.
"We were supposed to be having lunch"
This disappoints Tesni, who says they were supposed to be having lunch;  
"You can't expect her to catch the bus"
“You can’t expect Sioned to catch the bus on her own,” he explains, and Tesni unconvincingly says that she does not mind.
Sioned maintains that Mathew is amazing, and he says that they will have lunch another day, 
"We must hurry now"
but they must hurry now, or they will be late;  
Tesni is seriously disgruntled
Tesni is not at all happy about this.
"Someone has the weight of the world on their shoulders"
Her mother is sitting glumly in the café, and Kath comments, “Someone has the weight of the world on their shoulders,” and puts down a custard slice in front of her.   
"I don't think even a custard slice will help"
Jaclyn does not think that even a custard slice will help her today.
“I think Brenda is lonely in Llandysul,” she says, and Kath can understand it, as it must be a shock to the system after the hurly-burly at their house.   
"I don't think I can invite her to move in"
“Ger is worried about her, but I don’t think I can invite her to move in – the house is too small.   And Brenda is a handful – I just think I’m being selfish – I don’t want her to live with us, that’s all.”
"You didn't sign up to live with Brenda, did you?"
Kath appreciates that she has her family, and did not sign up to live with Brenda when she married Gerwyn.   
"She can be so stubborn'
“She can be so stubborn sometimes,” Jaclyn goes on, “She causes chaos everywhere!”   
"Drunk in charge of a mobility scooter!"
Kath does not know anyone who has been arrested for being drunk in charge of a mobility scooter.
"I was on my own in Birmingham for a while"
“I was on my own in a flat in Birmingham for a while – thank goodness I came back to Maes-y-Deri when I did,” muses Kath, “It’s not always a bed of roses – it can be bedlam – but my family saved me.   
"But don't tell them, or I won't hear the end of it"
“Don’t tell them, or I won’t hear the end of it!”   Jaclyn shares her custard slice with Kath.
"Ifan will love this, Diane!"
At Bryntirion, Diane is emptying the washing machine, and Sara waxes lyrical about the teddy bear which Diane brought back for Ifan from Murrayfield over the weekend.   
"How was Jason while we were away?"
Diane asks how Jason has been while they were away;  “All I did up at Murrayfield was worry about him.”   Sara reports that he has been to every Gamblers Anonymous meeting, apart from Thursday, and that he is doing all right.   
"Have you heard about Eifion and his bet?"
“Have you heard about Eifion?” Diane enquires, “It’s all the boys talked about on the bus coming home – he phoned Mal to say he’d won £500!   
"We don't want Jason to find out!"
“He placed a bet on the Wales v Scotland game – we don’t want Jason to find out, in case he’s tempted.”
"What are you talking about in there?"
Jason, sitting on the sofa, demands what they are talking about, and his mother improvises, 
"What Scotsmen have underneath their kilts!"
“About what Scotsmen have underneath their kilts!”
"There's something wrong with Mam"
In the garage, Jaclyn brings Gerwyn his lunchbox, which he has again forgotten, and he reports that there is something wrong with his mother;  “I’ve just been speaking to her, and she doesn’t know anything about this lunch.   You said she was having lunch with a friend, and she didn’t have a clue.   
"It could be dementia!"
“Do you think she’s losing her memory?   It could be dementia!”
Jaclyn protests that his mother is as sharp as a razor, 
Jaclyn confesses what she has done
but then is forced to confess that there was no lunch, and she made it up, which results in Gerwyn’s customary angry look, as she argues that she did not want him to worry.
"I'm even more worried now!'
“I’m even more worried now!” he growls, “I can’t leave her in Llandysul if she’s lonely – but don’t worry, I won’t ask her to move back in with us!   
"I'll have to find her a flat in the village"
“I don’t know – I’ll have to find her a flat in the village or something – at least she’ll be closer.”   He warns Jaclyn not to do anything like this again
"I would have missed this fantastic conversation!"
At Maes-y-Deri, they eat their soup for lunch in silence, until Kath comments, “Well, thank goodness I came back, or I would have missed this fantastic conversation!”   
"Try to find a smile on your way back!"
Debbie decides she is going back to work, and is told, “Try to find a smile on your way back, will you?”
"It's like the Arctic here, Mark!"
Kath continues, “Mark, do something about this atmosphere – it’s like the Arctic!”   
"Did you get it, Mark?"
Then Iori comes in through the back door, and asks Mark if he got it;   in reply, he takes a box from his pocket and shows his mother a ring.   
"I'm going to ask Debbie to marry me!"
“I’m going to ask Debbie to marry me!” he announces, 
"Youre going to do what?"
and Kath cannot believe her ears.   “It won’t be like the Arctic here for long!” he laughs.
"I thought you were having lunch with Mathew"
Jaclyn arrives home to find Tesni there;  “I thought you were having lunch with Mathew,” she comments, but Tesni advises that he has taken Sioned to hospital for a checkup.   
"He spends so much time with Sioned!"
She whines that he has spent so much time with her since she moved back;  “Cooking, washing the dishes – he washed her clothes last night!”   
"What if he wants to be more than friends with her?"
Her mother points out that is what good friends do but Tesni worries, “What if he wants to be more than friends with her?   He gives her loads of attention – and I’m his girlfriend!”   
"Sioned has had a hard time"
Jaclyn considers that she should be glad that her boyfriend is such a good friend to Sioned, as she has had a hard time.   
"I don't know if I trust her!"
“But I don’t know if I trust her – Math is hot, isn’t he?”   Her mother asks if she flirts with him, then points out that men and women can be friends, recommending that Tesni should be more mature about it, as at the moment she is paranoid, and worrying about nothing.
"You don't have to ask her to marry her!"
By now, Kath is in full flow, “You don’t have to ask her to marry you just because she’s feeling low!   You can’t afford a timing belt for the car, let alone all this!”   
"It's my fault she is feeling low"
He argues that it is his fault that she is feeling low, and wants to make a fuss of her, like other men do with their women.
"This is more than a fuss, isn't it?"
“But this is more than a fuss, Mark, isn’t it? she rages;  
"Oh, you're behind this, are you?"
Iori tries to stop her, and she realises that he is behind this.   
He is sure that Debbie will love it, and Mark stresses, “It will be an excuse for a party – and you enjoy parties!”
"We can't afford a party!"
“We can’t afford a party!” his mother shouts, but Iori urges her to stop spoiling it with minor details;  she should try to be happy for the ‘youngsters’.
"I thought I'd splash out a bit"
Outside the Deri, Eifion is showing off to John Post the watch he has bought with part of his winnings;  “I thought I’d splash out bit!” he says.   
"I've forgotten my phone"
As they come out of Awyr Iach, Sara notices Eifion there, and tries to hustle Jason back inside, on the pretext that she has forgotten her phone.
Gerwyn is looking for accommodation . . .
In the garage, Gerwyn is ringing around, looking for accommodation for his mother;  
. . . but can find nothing at a reasonable price
he tells Jaclyn that there is nothing decent under £400 a month, anything cheaper than that is disgusting.
"What are we going to do, then?"
“What are we going to do, then?” she demands, and he does not know
Eifion is uncharacteristically free with his money
Inside the Deri, Eifion is splashing out on drinks for John Post and Llinos;  
"I don't want a drink now!"
when Sara comes in, she sees Eifion again and changes her mind, saying she does not want a drink.
"Five minutes ago you were desperate for some wine"
“A minute ago, you were desperate for a glass of white wine,” Jason points out, “Well, I want a pint!   
"You're trying to keep Eifion and me apart"
“You’re trying to keep Eifion and me apart, because he won a bet – is that it?   Everyone in the village knows about it.   Right, hang on – you’re afraid that Eifion’s little win will tempt me to gamble again.   Stop treating me like a child – I go to Gamblers Anonymous, don’t I?   And I was fine at Ed’s poker night, wasn’t I?   
"Having faith in me is too much to ask!"
“There we are then – having faith in me is obviously too much to ask!”   He walks out again, followed by Sara.
Brenda has an unexpected visitor
Jaclyn has gone to visit her mother-in-law, and the atmosphere is rather strained between them;  
"I'm sure it can feel lonely in the flat"
“Have you had a busy week?” Jaclyn asks, “Been out much?   I’m sure it can feel lonely in the flat on your own.”
"No, I've got plenty to do"
Brenda denies that she is lonely, 
"Tes said you've stopped going to Bingo and Whist"
but is reminded that Tesni said she has stopped going to bingo and whist;  
"That doesn't mean I'm lonely!"
“That doesn’t mean I’m lonely!” insists the old woman, “There aren’t enough hours in the day – it’s all go!”
"If I asked you to move back in . . ."
“Well, Tes and Ger are worried about you – are you telling the truth?” demand Jaclyn, “If I asked you to move back in with us full-time, you would say no, would you?”   
Brenda has managed to manipulate them, again
This appears to provoke a change in Brenda’s attitude.
"Now Jason is angry with me!"
Sara reports to Diane that Jason already knew about Eifion, and now is angry with her for trying to hide it.   Diane appreciates that it is difficult to look after him, 
"It's not easy to trust him"
and it is easier said than done to trust him.   “Do you know what you need?   A bit of fun!   
"Go out for a nice meal at the end of the week"
“Why don’t you go out for a nice meal at the end of the week?”   
"We're skint!"
Sara replies that they are skint, 
"Look, I'll pay – and look after Ifan"
so Diane will provide the necessary finance, and will look after Ifan.
Sara is reluctant to take the money, insisting that Diane has done too much already, but she will not take no for an answer.   
"I appreciate what you're doing for him"
“You need a break, Sara, and I want you to know I appreciate what you’re doing for him.
"The last thing I want to be is a nuisance!"
“The last thing I want to be is a nuisance,” declares Brenda, “Things didn’t work out last time, did they?”   
"Gerwyn and the children enjoy having you there"
Jaclyn replies that Gerwyn and the children enjoy having her there.   “Well, I enjoy being there – and it upsets me to think that Ger and the children are worried about me.   
"I might think about moving back in"
“If they’re as worried as you say, I might think about moving back in.   But I'll be sad to leave this place – I’ve had a lot of fun here.”
Jaclyn does not look ecstatic at the prospect
Jaclyn will phone the council to arrange things, as Brenda declares, “If this is what I have to do to make the family happy, well, I’m ready to do it.”
"I could have kissed him!"
Sioned says that she could have kissed the consultant, 
"That would have been rather a shock!"
which Mathew thinks may have come as a shock to him;  
Sioned is on the mend
Tesni again arrives there and is informed that Sioned has had good news.   “She’s recovering quicker than expected,” but Mathew warns her that she must take it easy.
"You sound just like my Mam!"
“You sound just like my Mam!” Sioned protests, while Tesni is becoming rather tired of this, and when Mathew goes to change, refuses a cup of tea.   
"Are you angry you couldn't have lunch?"
“Are are you angry that you couldn’t have lunch?” Sioned asks, 
"I don't have much choice"
but Tesni does not have much choice, and has not seen much of Mathew over the weekend.
Sioned knows that Tesni means since she moved back in;  
"That's exactly what I mean!'
“That’s exactly what I mean!” is the terse reply, “I don’t like it.”   Sioned knows that it is difficult to see her boyfriend living with a girl, but if it is any comfort to her, 
"Mathew never stops talking about you"
he never stops talking about her.
“I’m no threat,” Sioned assures her, 
"We're really good mates"
“We’re really good mates – he’s been great since I moved back in, and I really appreciate that.   I want to thank him, 
"I've booked you a table at Tapas tonight!"
“so I’ve booked you a table at Tapas tonight, and I’m paying.   I wanted to – and I’d like us to be friends, too.   
"We shall be seeing a lot more of each other"
“I have a feeling we’re going to see a lot more of each other.”
Iori encourages Mark
Debbie is rather confused when she returns home 
"Look, Debs, I know you're angry with me"
to find candles burning on the table;  “Look, Debs, I know you’re angry with me,” Mark begins, 
"I want to show how much I love you"
“And I know why you’re feeling low – and I’m sorry if you feel I don’t show enough sympathy and support.   I want you to know how much I love you, so . . .”
"Will you marry me?"
He picks up the box containing the ring, gets down on one knee and asks her, “Will you marry me?”   
"No!"
She is initially absolutely speechless, but then utters the single word, “No!”   
Not the result they hoped for
Iori and Kath, who are waiting expectantly in the kitchen, appear very disappointed, 
"No, I won't marry you"
as Debbie continues, “No, I won’t marry you.”
"I've gone to all this trouble"
“Come on, Debs – I’ve gone to all this trouble, and you’re still angry?” he whimpers;  she protests that she is not angry, and all this is lovely, but they have been through this before, 
She gives him a hand to get up again
as she helps him to his feet.
"We agreed not to get married"
“We agreed not to get married,” she reminds him, but he points out she has been going on and on about weddings lately, and her Facebook page is full of them.   “I was trying to attract business for the salon, by showing how fab people looked,” she explains.
"You were jealous of the fuss Gerwyn made of Jaclyn"
Then he mentions her being jealous of all the fuss Gerwyn made of Jaclyn;  “And you thought I was hinting that we should get married?   
"You and I are fine, Mark!"
“Mark, you and I are fine!”
He was doubting that, and because she was fed up, thought something like this would cheer her up.   
"Why don't we agree to stick together for ever, Amen?"
“I don’t need a ring on my finger to prove that you love me,” she emphasises, “Why don’t we agree not to get married, but to stick together for ever, Amen?”   He wonders if that means he is forgiven for last week, 
"You're an idiot – but you're my idiot!"
and she replies, “You can be an idiot, Mark Jones – but you’re my idiot!” and she kisses him.
Gerwyn has rather a shock
At number 10, Gerwyn is surprised when Jaclyn returns home with his mother, 
"I'm moving in, full-time!"
who announces, “I’m moving in, full-time!   Jac said that you and the children wanted me to – and if having me here makes you happy, well, who am I to say no?”
"I'm doing this for you, Ger"
Jaclyn asks him what other option they had;  “I’m not doing this for her – I’m doing it for you, because I know how worried you are.”   He hugs her, and she adds, “As long as she behaves, right?”
"How about a cup of tea?"
By now the old woman requires a cup of tea, so Jaclyn sets about preparing it.