2 April 2019

John Post brings Ed home from hospital . . .
John Post has just driven Ed home in a taxi, 
. . . and he is welcomed back by Gaynor
and Gaynor welcomes him back;  
Kelly is watching
Kelly is watching from the café across the road.   Rhys expresses his condolences to Ed, 
"I want to discuss something with you"
and Gaynor wants to discuss something with Rhys, in about half an hour.
"Dai and Diane have offered to host the students"
Then Ffion approaches, and Gaynor explains, “Dai and Diane have offered to host the students next week,” which pleases Ffion, 
"Do you think she knows about us?"
but she worries that Gaynor knows about their relationship.
“You’re completely paranoid – do you know that?” laughs Rhys, and after looking around, tries to kiss her, 
"What do you think you're doing?"
but she rebuffs him, demanding what he thinks he is doing.   He points out that they are not doing anything wrong, but she considers that it is easier to keep it quiet, after what happened with Mathew.   
"I wish you weren't so serious all the time"
Rhys would like it if she were not so serious all the time, and walks away towards the café.
"Want a cup of tea, Mam?"
At Maes-y-Deri, Kath is looking at old photos;  
It would have been Kath's 46th anniversary
Mark comes to investigate and she reminds him, “Today would have been my forty-sixth anniversary!”   
"Sorry, Mam, I forgot"
He apologises that he had forgotten, but she replies, “I don’t expect you to remember – I don’t remember other peoples anniversaries.   Anyway, Dyff never remembered – and we used to argue about that!”
This was when they renewed their vows
Mark finds a picture from when they renewed their vows, and she recalls that it was his father’s idea, which meant a lot at the time;  
"That meant everything to me"
“In fact, it meant everything,” she adds.
"Are you going to help me carry this?"
Debbie comes in, moaning, “Are you are going to help me carry this stuff over to the salon, or what?”   Mark obediently puts down the photo and goes to assist.
Ed sits and worries
Ed sits quietly on the sofa, and Kelly comes upstairs, at first not saying anything, but then, without much feeling, welcomes him back.   
"How long were you and Gaynor together?"
“How long were you and Gaynor together?” she asks, 
"It was just one stupid kiss!"
and he answers that they were not seeing each other – it was just one stupid kiss. 
"I'm not in the mood now either!"
“Yesterday, I wasn’t in the mood for more lies – and do you know what?   I’m not in the mood now either!” Kelly growls, but he insists that he is telling the truth.   
"Look, I'll explain anything you need to know"
He is happy to explain anything she needs to know.
After looking at him for a few seconds, 
"I have to go back to the caff!"
she declares, “I have to go back to the caff!” and disappears downstairs.
"Is everything all right with Izzy?"
Gaynor is enquiring of Rhys, “Is everything all right with Izzy?   You didn’t think there was anything wrong when you saw her in Thailand?   
"You said she enjoyed partying"
“You said something about her enjoying partying,” but he explains that this was no more than anyone else.
"We were talking about my fitness regîme"
At that moment, Izzy comes in, and her mother tells her they were discussing her fitness regîme, 
"Mam – fitness regîme?"
which Izzy does not find to be convincing.   Rhys says that he has been Gaynor’s trainer for a while now.
"Did you and Dad always know you wanted to get married?"
Mark is still studying that photo, and asks his mother, “Did you and Dad always know you wanted to get married?”   
"Didn't have a lot of choice, with you on the way!"
She explains that they did not have a lot of choice, with him on the way.
“But that’s what you did back then,” she goes on, 
"We wanted the world to know"
“Anyway, your father and I wanted the world to know that we wanted to be together.”   He has come to the conclusion that he wants to get married to Debs.
"But you've decided not to get married, haven't you?"
“But you’ve decided not to get married, haven’t you?” Kath reminds him;  he argues that listening to her talking and looking at the photos make him realise it is important.   
"What will Ricky have when we're gone?"
He wonders what Ricky will have when they are gone – no photos like that.
“Ricky doesn’t care about things like that, does he?   And you don’t get married to have photos, do you?” she replies.   He knows that, but still maintains that it is important – telling the world, like his father did.   
"I'm going to ask her again"
He has made up his mind that he is going to ask her again;  Kath does not anticipate a different answer from Debbie.
"Flapjack – part of a fitness regîme?"
Izzy is enjoying her flapjack in the café, as is Gaynor, but Rhys does not think they are part of the fitness regîme.   “If you’re serious, Gaynor, you and Izzy could become running partners – motivate each other!” he suggests.   
"She'll be going back in a month"
Gaynor points out that Izzy will be going back to work in a month.
"There's nice – a tea party"
Ffion comes in and comments, “There’s nice – a tea party,” but declines the offer to join them, as she has come to see Ed, 
"I've got hours of marking to do"
and then has hours of marking to do.   
"Teachers don't have any fun!"
Rhys remarks to Izzy, “You must regret becoming a teacher – they don’t have any fun.”   
Kelly sees Ffion going upstairs
Kelly is disturbed to see Ffion going upstairs, as Rhys mentions to Izzy, 
"I changed my mind"
“You were determined to leave the teaching job last time we spoke,” but she replies that she changed her mind.
"I didn't realise you were going off teaching"
Gaynor was unaware that she had lost her enthusiasm for teaching, but is assured that she is enjoying it now.
Ed describes his mythical 'flashbacks'
Upstairs, Ed explains that he is tired, and Ffion asks if he can remember anything about what happened;  “I keep having flashbacks,” he tells her, “Someone in a balaclava.”   
"Oh – the old 'balaclava' line again, is it?"
Kelly has also come upstairs, and listens as Ffion advises that he should talk to someone – a counsellor.”
"I think you're right, Ffi!"
“I think you’re right, Ffi,” says Kelly, and Ffion considers that she ought to go, only wanting to wish him well.   As soon as she has gone, 
"Lying comes easily to you"
Kelly comments, “Lying comes easily to you,” but he argues that he has to stick to the story;  that is what he told the police.
"Did you tell Gaynor things were bad between us?"
She enquires, “Did you lie to Gaynor as well?   That things were bad between us – that you understood each other?”   
"It wasn't like that, Kel!"
He insists that it was not like that, but she demands, “What was it like, then?   You don’t kiss someone for no reason, Ed.”
"Where did it happen, then?"
He does not answer, and Kelly continues, “Where was it, then, when it happened?”   
"The day of the accident, at Pwll Bach"
He explains that it was at Pwll Bach, the day of the accident;  
"The day I asked you to marry me – wow!"
“The day I asked you to marry me – wow!” she exclaims, but he argues that all the kiss did was to make him realise how much he wanted to be with Kelly.   He insists that it is the truth, and it meant nothing.
"But it means a lot to me, Ed!"
“Nothing to you, perhaps – but it means a lot to me, Ed!” she snarls, and he looks even more crestfallen, if such a thing is possible.
"Turn that off, Mark!"
Mark is vacuuming when his mother, in a very upset state, orders him to turn it off;  
"You're ill again, aren't you?"
“You’re ill again, aren’t you?” she sobs, “The kidney – that’s why you want to marry Debbie!”
"I'm as healthy as a horse – well, perhaps not a horse!"
He urges her to stop it, emphasising, “I’m as healthy as a horse – well, perhaps not a horse, but I’m all right!”   She wonders why he has changed his mind, as it does not make sense.   Mark explains, “You and Dad – and those photos – and remembering what Dad said.   You looked so happy!”
"What's wrong?"
Debbie walks in on this scene, and asks what is wrong;  
"46 years ago, Mam and Dad got married"
Mark wastes no time in addressing her, “Debbie Collins, 46 years ago today Mam and Dad got married in Swansea.”   Kath interrupts to point out that it was actually Swiss Valley, Llanelli.
"So will you marry me, please?"
He continues, “So will you marry me, please?”   
"This is a late April Fool, isn't it?"
Debbie regards this as a late April Fool’s joke, but he insists that he is serious;  “I know I asked you not long ago, but I really mean it – you know what I mean.   Marry me, will you?”
The vacuum cleaner bursts into life
As he kneels down, he accidentally leans on the vacuum cleaner, switching it on, and pushes it to one side;  “It would be nice, don’t you think?” he says, but receives a negative answer.   
"Might as well put the kettle on, then"
Kath says that she will put the kettle on, and Mark, still on his knees, tells Debbie to forget about it, as it was a stupid idea.   
Debbie stalks off
She turns round and walks out of the house.
"Gaynor herself said it was a mistake"
Ed is still trying to convince Kelly, “Gaynor said it herself, that it was her mistake. We are friends, that’s all, but she misunderstood things.”   
"Are you still close?"
Kelly asks if they are still close, and he explains, “She was going through a difficult period – she was lonely, and I was just being kind to her.   
"You're the only woman I love!"
“Kelly, can’t you see that Angela is trying to use this to destroy our marriage?   I should never have got myself into such a stupid situation, but you’re the only woman I love, and there was no affair.   You do believe me, don’t you?”
"What's the name of your school, then?"
Back home at Llwyncelyn, Gaynor interrogates Izzy further;  “What’s the name of the school where you teach?   I know you said several times in your e-mails, but I can’t remember.   
What a pathetic excuse for an answer!
Izzy unconvincingly says she cannot remember now, owing to the jetlag.
"What's going on?"
“What’s going on, Izzy?” her mother demands, “I’m your mother, and I know there’s something!”
Then Gaynor learns the truth
Then the truth finally comes out;  “I’m not teaching any more – things didn’t work out.”   
"You said in your last e-mail that you were"
Gaynor looks on her phone for the e-mail which mentioned working with underprivileged children, and Izzy confirms that she did work with underprivileged children, last year.
"I knew you would react like this"
“I didn’t say anything because I knew you would react like this,” she says, but her mother reminds her she has sent a lot of money to help her on her way.   
"I knew it would all come down to money!"
“I knew it would all come down to money!” laughs Izzy, but Gaynor insists that it is the lies she does not like.
"My husband's been keeping things from me for months"
Kelly is working on the laptop when Ed urges her to talk to Gaynor, stresses that she has nothing to worry about.   “Seriously, Ed?   My husband’s been keeping things from me for months,” but he points out he had to keep it from her to protect her.
"No – what you had to do was talk to me!"
“No – what you had to do was talk to me!” she replies, “But you didn’t.   
"I believe you"
“I don’t need to talk to Gaynor – I believe you.”
Rhys is in a dejected mood
Rhys sits in the Deri, looking downhearted, when Ffion comes in and asks him, 
"Did you and Izzy ever . . . you know?"
“Did you and Izzy ever . . . you know, when you were travelling?   You seem to know each other pretty well.”   He remind her that he is the father of Lois’ child – 
"We're more or less family"
so they are more or less family. 
This time Ffion takes the inititive
Ffion actually kisses him, and he is surprised by this change of attitude;  “You were frightened of your own shadow this morning,” he comments.   
"We have to enjoy ourselves"
She says perhaps she has realised that they have to enjoy themselves.
“You were jealous that Izzy was talking to me!” he egotistically assumes, but she denies this 
"Come over later, if you like"
and invites him to come over later, if he would like to.
"Upsetting my son like that!"
Kath goes to the Deri to complain to Debbie, “Happy now, are you?   Upsetting my son like that.”   
"It's none of your business!"
Debbie replies that it is none of her business, 
"And on the day of my anniversary"
but she insists, “Yes, it is – you’ve turned down my son again – and on the day of his mother’s and father’s anniversary!”
“Don’t try that sentimental nonsense on me!” is the reply, “A marriage is only words on paper!”   Kath wonders how she can be so cold, but is informed it would not make a difference to their lives.   
"Your moaning won't make any difference"
“I’ve made my decision, and your moaning won’t make any difference,” Debbie stresses.
Relations seem rather strained
Gaynor and Izzy sit at opposite ends of the sofa in stony silence;  
"Don't sit there, saying nothing"
“Don’t just sit there, saying nothing,” says Izzy, and her mother replies that she is trying to understand, and cannot believe that she is so difficult to talk to.   
"A lot happened in Thailand"
“This isn’t about you, Mam – it’s about me and the fact that I’ve failed to face up to things.   A lot happened in Thailand, and it’s only right that you know.   I had a bit of a burnout – I was going out too much, drinking too much, just enjoying myself.   
"I ended up in rehab"
“But eventually I ended up in some kind of rehab retreat – my friend, Gavin, booked me in.   That’s what happened to the money you sent – I used it to get better.   
"All I ever do is make a mess of things!"
“I know I’m a disappointment to you – all I ever do is make a mess of things!   I thought I’d become a teacher, like you, but I was fooling myself, because I’m the one who always messes things up!”
"I hope you're home to stay"
Gaynor hopes that she is home to stay, and Izzy replies that it is a possibility;  as soon as she can she will find a place to stay, but this is overruled by her mother.
"We have to be honest with each other"
“There’s no rush for you to move out, is there?” says Gaynor, “But, listen, we have to be honest with each other, all right?”   
"It's nice to be home"
Izzy remarks that it is nice to be home.
"I've finished now"
Kelly is still on the laptop, and Ed offers to help her, but she says she has now finished;  
"I understand it's a lot for you to hear"
“I understand it’s a lot for you to hear all this,” he begins, but she interrupts him to declare that she is going away.
"I thought you believed me"
He thought that she believed him, 
"I do – I just need time"
and she replies, “I do – I just need time.”   He asks where she will be going, but she has not yet decided;  “But before you say anything, this isn’t anyone else’s fault – it’s not Gaynor’s fault, not Angela’s fault –   
"It was your decision to keep things from me"
“Because it was your decision to keep things from me.   
"I don't want to be anywhere near you!"
“I don’t want to be anywhere near you!”