23 April 2019

"Isn't a party enough?"
At Maes-y-Deri, Mark is unable to find a decent present for Debs;  Kath comments, “Isn’t a party enough?   There’s no point throwing money away,” but he points out that she is 50, and he has to make an effort this year.
"Isn't she organising her own party now?"
“Isn’t she organising her own party now?” Ricky asks;  his father does not think that she was serious, but they must keep an eye on her.   
"You're quiet – that's unusual!"
Debbie comes downstairs, remarking that Mark is very quiet, something which does not happen often;  she is going to Carmarthen and will see them later.   Mark is quite convinced that she suspects something.
"How about a Karaoke machine?"
Ricky suggests, “How about a karaoke machine?   She loves karaoke!”   Kath knows that there are cheap ones on eBay, 
"I'm taking Ricky for a lesson"
so leaves Mark to sort it out, while she takes Ricky for a driving lesson.   
"I'm not sure about these lessons"
Once again, he says he is not sure about these driving lessons, but she has arranged the insurance.   
He is persuaded by his grandmother
“The longer you leave it, the harder it will be,” she advises him, and he eventually agrees.
Dai notices Jason with Ffion 
As Dai walks across the road to see Sara, he notices Jason with Ffion;  “I’ll tell you where he’s not going – to APD, to do some work!” he grumbles, 
"He needs more time, Dai"
but Sara insists that he needs more time.   
"He's walking around, living the life of Riley!"
“Time?   He’s already had three months off – and I forked out from my own pocket so that he could go to this gambling retreat!” Dai rages, “Now he’s back, he’s walking around, living the life of Riley – while I’m struggling to come up for air at APD!”
"Keeping him away from Ffion for five minutes would help"
She agrees to have a word with Jason about work, and Dai points out, “Keeping him away from Ffion for five minutes would help, too.”   
Sara goes into Awyr Iach 
She looks exasperated and goes into Awyr Iach.
"I'd like your opinion on something"
Hywel has a scan on his knee this afternoon, but before he goes, he wants a word with Rhys;  “I’d like your opinion on something – 
"I was hoping we could rekindle what we had before"
“I’m very fond of . . . Ffion, and I was hoping we could rekindle what we had before, you know.”
Rhys is rather troubled by this, but his father goes on, “The problem is, I don’t know how to ask her.   What would you do?”   
"Not a good idea to see an ex again"
He is told that it is probably never a good idea to start seeing an ex again, as they are exes for a reason.
He reiterates that he is fond of her, so Rhys advises, “I would take things slowly – see what develops, 
"You don't know how she feels"
“because you don’t know how she feels.”   
"No, I suppose you're right"
Hywel realises that he is right, and ponders what he is going to do next.   
This puts Rhys in a quandary
Rhys, meanwhile, also finds himself in a dilemma.
"Is Tesni still ill?"
In the shop, Mathew asks Guto  how Tesni is;  “Is she still ill?   She hasn’t told me anything, and is not answering my messages.”   
"I'll tell her you were asking about her"
Gerwyn says that he will tell her that Mathew was asking about her.
Then Tesni appears, to Mathew's delight . . .
At that moment she comes into the shop, and Mathew is very pleased to see her;  she says that she is better, and apologises for last week.   He is just pleased that she is better, and asks if she wants to meet in the Deri later;  
. . . and he will see her later
“I’ll see you later, then,” he smiles, and kisses her, while Guto wonders whether he should say something.
"Do you think we should tell Mam?'
When Mathew has left, he comments that she handled it well;  “Do you think that we should tell Mam?   You’re not getting better,” 
"I don't want her fussing!"
but Tesni does not want her mother fussing.   “I’ve kept quiet about this for too long!” he warns her, “If you won’t help yourself, let me do it!   Just tell her – you can’t keep this quiet much longer.”
Gwen gives Mathew his change
Mathew has gone to the café to get a cup of coffee from Gwen, when he is accosted by Rhys, who wants a word.   
"Dad's got the hots for Ffion!"
“It will only take two minutes – Dad’s got the hots for Ffion!”   
Mathew finds this hilarious
Mathew finds this allegation very amusing, but Rhys snarls, “It’s not funny – the last thing I want to do is hurt him, after everything he’s been through.   
"Perhaps I should finish with Ffion"
“I think perhaps I should finish things with Ffion.   I have to consider his feelings.”
Mathew wonders if he has considered Ffion’s feelings, 
Then Ffion walks in . . .
and then she comes in, accompanied by Jason, 
. . . and Rhys departs rapidly
so Rhys makes a hasty, and  very obvious, exit.   He is followed by Mathew, 
"How are things with you, Mathew?"
as Jason asks him how things are with him.   
"As well as any slave can be!"
“As well as any slave can be – but hey, you enjoy yourself!” he replies.
That taxi will not pass its emissions test
A rather smoky taxi drives along the street as Tesni goes to talk to her mother at the cashpoint;  
"There's something I need to tell you"
“There’s something I need to tell you – can we go home?” she says, 
"I have to go to work"
but her mother says she has to go to work.
Ricky drives into the village . . . 
On his driving lesson, Ricky is just approaching the bus shelter, 
. . . at the same time as Gwern is kicking his ball
and at the same time Gwern is kicking his football along the pavement outside the chippy.   
Ricky manages to stop without touching him
As he reaches the corner, he stumbles into the road, and Ricky performs a flawless emergency stop.   Gwern shouts, “Dad!” and Garry rushes to his aid.
"Don't you touch him!"
Ricky, with his knowledge of first aid, tells Gwern not to move, and he will check for injuries, but Garry forbids him to touch the boy.   “He knocked down my son!” he yells at Kath, 
"No, Garry – Gwern tripped!"
but she informs him that Gwern tripped.   
Gerwyn is watching from outside the garage, with a haunted look on his face, 
"Look, I know what I'm doing!"
as Ricky assures them that he knows what he is doing.   
They raise him to his feet
Various onlookers have gathered, as they raise Gwern to his feet.   Garry is still ranting that they have not heard the last of this, 
"Perhaps your son should be more careful!"
but Kath replies, “Perhaps your son should be more careful!”
Gerwyn is traumatised by this occurrence
Seeing her father, Tesni is about to go across to him, 
"No, Tes – I'll go!"
but Jaclyn says that she will go.   
"He shouted 'Dad,' exactly like Tesni!"
Gerwyn asks, “Did you hear Gwern shout, ‘Dad’?   It was exactly like Tesni.   
"It will be ten years this month!"
“It will be ten years this month!”   Jaclyn tells him that he has to move on, and leave the past where it is.   He does not think that he will ever be able to do that, 
He goes into the garage
and sadly walks into the garage.
"I don't know whether I'll let you in!"
The buzzer at Cysgod y Glyn sounds, and Ffion finds that it is Rhys;  she pretends that she is in two minds whether to let him in or not.   “Ffion, answer the door before someone sees me!” he says angrily, and she assures him she was only pulling his leg.   
"You left in a hurry when I arrived at the café"
She complains that he left in a hurry when she arrived at the café this morning, but actually, she quite liked it.
She is not expecting to be rebuffed
She is about to kiss him when he pushes her away;  
"Ffion, Dad likes you – a lot!"
“Ffion – Dad likes you – a lot!”   
Ffion finds this very amusing
She laughs at this suggestion, but he goes on, “It’s not funny – I don’t know what to do – I don’t want him to get hurt.”
"Forget about your father now"
She stresses, “I’m not interested in Hywel, and will never be interested in him.   Forget about your father now – you haven’t come here to talk about him all afternoon, have you?”   
Ffion is irresistible
He predictably finds it impossible to resist Ffion.
Ricky tells his Gran, “You didn’t have to be so aggressive with Garry,” 
"You were being wrongly blamed, Ricky!"
but she reminds him that he was being wrongly blamed.   
They hear of Ricky's first aid exploits
When Mark and Debbie come in, Kath tells them about Gwern’s fall in the road, and how Ricky was fantastic with him.   He is just glad that he could help, 
"I should go over to see that Gwern is all right . . ."
and thinks that perhaps he should go and see if Gwern is all right.
". . . and you're coming with me!"
“Garry will have calmed down by now – and anyway, you’re coming with me,” he tells Kath, 
Kath is not keen to apologise to Garry Monk
“You need to apologise to Garry, don’t you?   Come on!”
"A Bucket Handle Tear?"
In the Deri, Garry is incredulous that Hywel is suffering from a ‘Bucket Handle Tear’, and is told that it will mean an operation;  “Perhaps Ffion will nurse you better!” Garry suggests, 
"I haven't told her how I feel"
but Hywel admits that he has not yet told her how he feels.   
"You need to pull your socks up!"
“I never thought I would say this to Hywel Llywelyn – but you need to pull your socks up!” is Garry’s considered opinion, “You should be more proactive!”
"Where is he, then?"
Gwyneth comes in, shouting, “Where is he, then?   And why wasn’t I told earlier?”
"Gwyneth!"
She goes straight upstairs, and Garry follows her.   
"What happened, love?"
“Oh, Gwern!   What happened, love?” she asks, when she sees him with his arm in a sling, and he says that he fell when he was chasing the ball.
Then Ricky and Kath arrive
At that moment, Ricky and his grandmother also arrive, 
"You've got a cheek, coming here!"
and Gwyneth rages that they have a cheek, coming here;  “You almost knocked him down!”   Dani intervenes to remind her that she heard what Gwern said, 
"Thank you, Ricky, for helping me"
and Gwern thanks Ricky for helping him.   
Ricky has brought a comic for Gwern
Ricky has brought him a comic, 
"Back me up here, Garry!"
but Gwyneth is desperate for some support here from Garry.
"I believe my son – and you should, too!"
“I believe my son,” he announces, “You should, too!”   This shuts Gwyneth up, and she takes Gwern home.   
Kath finds apologising very difficult . . .
Then it is time for Kath’s apology, which she finds exceedingly difficult to do;  “Oh, erm, I came here to, erm, apologise about earlier.”   Garry thinks that she deserves an apology too, so he says that he is sorry.
. . . and Garry is not much better
“Thanks for helping with Gwern, Ricky” he says, 
"You both said sorry – result!"
and Dani can hardly believe that they have both said sorry, regarding that as ‘a result.   
Kath now slinks away
Kath cannot wait to leave.
"This is wrong, Ffion – it's not fair on Dad!"
After another of their dalliances, Ffion asks if Rhys wants a cup of tea before he goes;  “This is wrong, Ffion,” he tells her, “It’s too weird – no, ‘weird’ is not the right word.   I’m worried about Dad – it’s not very fair on him, is it?”
"He won't find out, will he?"
She is under the impression that his father will not find out about them, but Rhys does not like lying to him;  “We’d better stop things now, Ffion, before things go too far – sorry.”
"You sleep with me – and then finish with me?"
Ffion is most definitely unimpressed;  “So you sleep with me – and then finish with me – is that what you’re saying?”   He turns and leaves the flat, 
"Coward!"
with Ffion shouting after him, “Coward!”
Now she is summoned by Hywel 
Then she hears the text tone on her phone, and sees the message from Hywel, “Come over.   We’ve got something to discuss.”   She looks rather confused.
"Crikey, Moses – I'm too old for this!"
At Bryntirion, Dai is moaning, “Crikey, Moses – I’m too old for this!”   Then he hears the door, and continues, “Oh, there he is – part-time Pete!   Don’t strain yourself walking from the door to the settee.   What pearls of wisdom did Ffion have to share with you today?”
". . . do something physical instead"
Jason replies, “You know, just obvious things – common sense – like reducing the temptation by not being on my own too much.   If it’s the excitement I need, to do something physical instead.”
"Full of ideas, isn't she?"
“She’s full of ideas, isn’t she?” sighs Sara, and he points out that she has been there and she understands.
"How about pulling your socks up and going to work?"
“Something physical, right?   Did she say anything about pulling your socks up and going to work?” Dai demands, and Jason gets up and walks out, 
"Ffion says this, Ffion says that!"
as Dai continues, “Ffion says this, Ffion says that – is she related to Confucius?   And what makes her such an expert?   She’s an alcoholic, not a gambler.”
"I appears that Ffion is good for Jason"
Diane sympathises with Sara that it is not easy, but it appears that Ffion is good for Jason.   
"That's why I'm not saying anything"
“That’s why I’m not saying anything,” Sara replies.   Diane considers that they should put more pressure on Jason to go back to work full-time – 
"Then he won't have time to meet Ffion"
then he will not have time to meet Ffion so often, and that way it would also keep Dai happier.
"Dad is OK"
When Jaclyn returns home she tells the twins that their father is OK;  Tesni and Guto look at each other, meaningfully.   “Tesni has something to tell you,” he says, 
"The last thing I need is you hiding things"
and his mother maintains that, with their father’s condition at the moment, the last thing she needs is for them to hide things from her.
"I'm having a flare-up!"
Tesni admits, “I’m having a flare-up,” 
"I'll phone the surgery in the morning"
and her mother is concerned, promising that she will phone the surgery first thing in the morning.   “What’s the point?   Nothing works,” Tesni groans, and when she hears a knock at the door, realises that it is Mathew.   
"Please don't tell him about the colitis"
“Tell him I’m not here!” she says, “Please don’t tell him about the colitis – he doesn’t know,” and she hides in the kitchen.
"Is Tesni ready to go out?"
He asks if Tesni is ready, but is told that she is not fit to go out;  
"You know, time of the month"
“She has a bad stomach – you know, time of the month,” Jaclyn tells him.   
"Right – hope she soon feels better"
He hopes that she feels better soon, and leaves again.
Tesni does not want to talk about it
Tesni timidly emerges from the kitchen, and her mother asks, “Are you going to tell him?”   She does not want to discuss it, but also does not want her father to be informed;  
"He's got enough on his plate at the moment"
“I think he’s got enough on his plate at the moment,” Jaclyn agrees.
"I'm not saying, until Ffion arrives"
Rhys arrives home and his father has something he wishes to discuss;  “I’m not saying what it is, until Ffion arrives,” he says.   Then there is a knock at the door, 
Rhys feels uncomfortable
and Rhys is feeling uncomfortable.
"I've gone behind your backs . . ."
“Thanks for coming over – go and sit down,” Hywel tells her;  “I’ve got a small confession to make – I’ve gone behind your backs to some extent.   
". . . I've booked a holiday for us in the Gower"
“I’ve booked a holiday for us and the children in the Gower.   It would be a nice break for them and for us.   We go on Friday – what do you say?”
"I was thinking of going to Cardiff"
Ffion and Rhys look at each other;  Ffion agrees that it is a lovely idea, but Rhys says he was thinking of going to Cardiff this weekend.   “Don’t say that – I’ve paid for you now!” his father protests, 
"You're not putting Cardiff before Esther, are you?"
“You’re not going to put Cardiff before Esther, are you?   
"Want to see where we're going?"
“Do you want to see where we’re going, then?”
A ten-year-old Western Post . . . which even then cost 80p . . .
Gerwyn is reading a very old issue of the Western Post, from 23 April 2009, where the headline reads, “Accident in the town of Llandysul.”   
. . . which brings back memories for Gerwyn 
He is reduced to tears, 
"Dad?"
and when Tesni comes downstairs, he tries to pull himself together.
“Why are you looking at that?” she demands, 
"I'm sorry for everything, Tes!"
and he tells her he is so sorry for everything.  
"You have  to forget about the accident"
“Dad, please, you have to forget about the accident,” she begs him, “I’m fine!” but he hurries upstairs, 
Tesni is now in tears
and she is now in tears.