25 April 2019

Aaron arrives back home . . .
Aaron puts his football kit in the washing machine, then walks into the living room, 
. . . where Britt is, as usual, asleep
where his mother is asleep on the sofa;  he looks at the items of post 
He has a birthday card from Catrin
and finds a birthday card from Catrin.   
He knows his mother has forgotten . . .
He sadly looks at his mother and returns to the kitchen, 
. . . and hides the card in a cupboard
where he hides the card in one of the cupboards.
Kath and Diane gossip about Megan Harries OBE
Diane and Kath walk along the street, talking about Megan Harries OBE being ‘plastered’;  they meet Cassie, equipped with her walking poles, 
They meet Cassie, with her walking poles
which Diane recognises, as they sell them in APD.   Kath wonders if she is struggling to walk, 
"Years of wesring high heels is starting to show"
and Cassie replies, “Years of wearing high heels is starting to show!”
Diane muses that perhaps she could do with some exercise, 
"It would make us thirsty before Gin Club!"
and Kath points out that it would make them thirsty before the Gin Club.   When Cassie has continued on her way, 
"Do you think Griffiths has a pair of those?"
Kath wonders, “Do you think Griffiths has a pair of those as well?   So he can take her for a walk – they were really flirting in the café.”
The weather is hardly suitable for a holiday
It is raining in the Gower, where Hywel has taken Ffion and the children, as well as Rhys;  Hywel asks Arwen and Esther if they want to go up the steps.   Rhys takes the opportunity, under the umbrella, to try and kiss her, while the others are not looking.
"I thought you wanted to end things!"
“What’s your game,” Ffion snarls? “I thought you wanted to end things!”   
"That's easier said than done"
He admits that he did want to, but it is easier said than done.    “So because you change your mind, I just jump back into bed with you?” she demands.   He replies that he does not want to change things – he cannot.
"What about that lecture about your father's feelings?"
“What about your lecture about your father’s feelings?” she asks, and he says they will just have to be careful.   Ffion wonders if Hywel suspects something, thinking it strange that he has arranged this weekend.
"Dad just wants to spend time with you"
Rhys answers, “He doesn’t suspect a thing – he just wants to spend time with you.”   
"We had better go"
Ffion thinks they had better go, before they draw attention to themselves.
Britt's usual expression
Britt is sitting on the sofa, looking characteristically vacant, when Garry arrives, and Aaron asks him what he wants;  Britt is also not pleased to see him.   
Garry has brought Aaron a birthday card
He has brought a card for Aaron, whose birthday is tomorrow;  “Dani and I won’t be around – we organised to go a while back.”
"Oh – your birthday!"
Suddenly, the realisation hits Britt, and she flies into a panic;  
"I forgot all about it!"
“I haven’t bought anything – I forgot all about it!”   Aaron once more tries to calm her down, but she wails, “Will you forgive me, Aaron?   I don’t know how I forgot!” and runs to her bedroom.   
"Garry is rather perturbed by her behaviour"
Garry is very surprised,and suggests, “What if I organised something off-the-cuff for you this afternoon?” 
"Not after what you did to Colin!"
but Aaron is dead against this idea, after what Garry did to Colin.
"Colin will be out soon"
“Listen, I’m sorry about what happened in the prison, but Colin will be out soon, you’ll see – there’s no need to worry!” Garry tells him.   Aaron reluctantly takes the card, and Garry continues, “What do you say, then?   A little do this afternoon – no fuss?”
"I don't feel like celebrating – with you!"
“I don’t feel like celebrating – especially with you!” Aaron quite forcibly explains.
The girls are being given icecream
As Hywel is giving ice cream to Arwen and Esther, Rhys asks, “Where’s mine, then?” and is told that he can share with his sister, if he asks nicely.   
"Why did you ask me to come?"
“Are you making fun of me?” Rhys demands, “Why did you ask me to come?”
His father wants him to babysit
Hywel replies, “Because I want to ask you something – would you babysit tonight, 
"So I can take Ffion for a meal"
“so that I can take Ffion for a meal?”   
This causes an exchange of glances between Ffion . . .
Both Ffion and Rhys look uncomfortable, 
. . . and Rhys
and Rhys realises that his father will not take no for an answer.
"This is practice for Gin Club"
In the Deri, Diane says she likes Friday afternoons, and Kath considers it practice for Gin Club tonight;  Dani, who is behind the bar, had not been told that there was one tonight, 
"Sorry about the short notice!"
but at that moment Cassie comes in to inform her about it, apologising for the short notice.
"Did you go walking on your own?"
Kath enquires about her walk, and wonders if she was alone;  
"Or were you with Ieuan Griffiths?"
Diane suggests that she might have been with Ieuan Griffiths.   “Why on earth would I go for a walk with him?” Cassie demands, 
"Well, you were flirting the other day!"
and Kath reminds her that they were flirting the other day.
Cassie points out that he was flirting with her;  
"He promised me big things"
“And he promised me big things.”   
They can imagine what sort of things
Diane and Kath can guess what ‘big things’ they were.
"There's no need to get upset, Mam"
Britt emerges from her bedroom, and apologises once more for forgetting Aaron’s birthday;  he assures her that there is no need to get upset, as she could always organise something tomorrow, and there is no need for any fuss.
"I'm not going to Garry's"
Aaron makes it clear that they are not going over to Garry’s, as he is still upset about what he did to Colin.   
"Colin will be fine, love"
Britt is still naïvely confident that Colin will be fine, but Aaron wonders how she knows.
She is immediately troubled;  
"There's something you haven't told me!"
“There’s something you haven’t told me!   What haven’t you told me?” and he replies that there is nothing.   
"Do you really think not taking the tablets is working?"
She goes to sit on the sofa again and Aaron asks, “Do you really think that not taking the tablets is working?”   She insists that she does not need to take them, as she does not feel alive when she is taking them.
"Sometimes I don't feel as if I want to be alive"
She continues, “Sometimes I don’t particularly feel like I want to be alive – but while I am alive, I want to feel that I’m alive!   That makes sense, doesn’t it?”
"What do you mean, Mam?"
Now Aaron is even more worried;  “What do you mean – you don’t want to be alive?” and Britt becomes increasingly agitated, trying to explain that sometimes it is a struggle.   
"I'm going for a lie down"
She escapes for a lie down in her bedroom, 
Aaron does not know what to do
and Aaron is reduced to tears.
"It's nice to see the children together"
Sitting at the bar in the Gower, Hywel remarks to Rhys, “It’s nice to see the children together – and Ffion too.   You get on well, don’t you?   
"I'm glad you agreed to babysit"
“I’m glad you agreed to babysit tonight – I would have told you sooner, but I know you wouldn’t have agreed.   
"I'm going to tell Ffion how I feel"
“Tonight’s important for me – I’m going to tell Ffion how I feel.”
"Is that a good idea, Dad?"
Rhys questions if that is a good idea, but his father says it is time he told her;  “What if she says no?” Rhys asks, 
"What if she says yes?"
but Hywel is more interested in the possibility of her saying yes.   
Rhys views this with dread
This prospect does not fill Rhys with joy.
"Thanks for the card and money, Dani"
Aaron goes to the Deri flat to thank Dani for the card and the money;  she explains that Garry is not there, but Aaron wanted to talk to her.   
"I don't want anything from Garry!"
She wonders if he has changed his mind about the party, but he is quite determined that he does not want anything from Garry.
"Why are you so angry with him?"
Dani asks why Aaron is so angry with Garry, and he replies that he just wants Colin home;  “You don’t need him like we do!   
"Colin can solve everything, Dan!"
“Colin can solve everything, Dan!”   However, when she asks what needs solving, and whether it has anything to do with his mother, he will not answer.
"As long as Britt keeps taking the tablets . . ."
“Look, Aaron, as long as Britt keeps taking the tablets, everything will be fine, OK?” she assures him, but he says he does not think the tablets are working.  “These things take time, that’s all,” Dani says, 
"Aaron doesn't want a party"
but then Garry comes in, looking for his phone, and Dani tells him that Aaron does not want a party.   
"There's something wrong with the lager cask"
To get rid of Garry, she asks him to go and check the lager cask – alleging something is not quite right with it.
"No, Aaron – you're staying here!"
When he goes downstairs, Aaron says he will return home, but Dani demands that he stay.
Clandestine meeting on the stairs
Ffion meets Rhys on the stairs;  he tells her that she must say no to his father, but she replies that it will draw more attention to them.   “I was right all along – the purpose of the holiday was for him to get close to you.”   
"You're paranoid, Rhys!"
She cannot believe that he thinks Hywel will turn her head, and says he is paranoid.   
"He didn't want to let you down"
“I know you’re angry with Garry, and he really is sorry about what happened at the prison,” says Dani, “He didn’t want to let you down.”   Aaron replies that is what happened.   
"How was Garry to know he would take it out on Colin?"
Dani goes on, “Look, whatever happened between him and this guy, how was Garry to know he would take it out on Colin?   I understand you’re disappointed about Colin – 
"Do you think it's right to blame it on Garry?"
“but do you really think it’s right to blame Garry?   He feels terribly guilty, Aaron – you know what Garry’s like – he puts on a front, but he can’t fool me!   
"While Colin's away, you need Garry!"
“Come on – you’re family – and while Colin’s away, you need Garry!”
"I suppose you're right, Dani"
Aaron is forced to agree, and she informs him that Garry thinks the world of him.   
"I'm sorry for blaming you, Garry"
Garry returns, and Aaron admits, “I’m sorry for blaming you for what happened to Colin,” 
Aaron gets up to go
but he still does not want a party, and leaves them.   
"You're a woman and a half, Dani!"
Garry tells Dani that she is a woman and a half.
"Thanks for agreeing to come, Ffion"
Ffion and Hywel sit down for their meal, and he thanks her for agreeing to come on this holiday;  
"You're one of my best friends"
“Listen, Ffion, I think the world of you, and we understand each other, don’t we?   I would go as far as to say you’re one of my best friends.”
"Yes, we're friends!"
Ffion agrees, placing emphasis on the word, “Friends.   We know exactly where we stand, don’t we – after that birthday kiss business ?   
"We've made it clear that all we want is friendship"
“We have both made it clear that we all we want is friendship – it would be a shame to lose a good friendship.”   
"To best friends!"
She proposes a toast, “To best friends!” but he looks rather discouraged.
"What's this big offer, then?"
In the Deri, Cassie joins Kath and Diane, who are dying to find out about this big offer Griffiths has for her, 
"I'm not sure I want all the details!"
although Diane is not sure she wants to hear all the gruesome details.
"Don't be so disgusting!   He offered me a job"
“Don’t be so disgusting!” Cassie scolds her, “If you must know, he offered me a job – and nothing else – as manageress of Pwll Bach – but I’ve got a daughter and a job in Blackpool.”
"Griffiths would only have one reason for giving you a job!"
Kath comments that Griffiths must be disappointed;  “Come on, Cassie – Griffiths would only have one reason giving you a job – to get his dirty mitts on you!”   
"Ieuan Griffiths is a gentleman!"
She stresses to them that Ieuan Griffiths is a gentleman, but Diane calls her naïve.   
“I haven’t refused his offer – I’m thinking about it,” Cassie informs them.
"I'm going over to check on Aaron and Britt"
Dani tells Garry that Seren is fine, and she is going over to check on Aaron and Britt.
"Are you feeling all right, Mam?"
Aaron asks his mother if she is feeling all right, and tells her not to worry about the party tomorrow, as he does not really want one;  
"I'm too old for parties"
“I’m too old now anyway.”   
"I haven't seen you for ages"
Then Dani arrives, and says she has not seen Britt for ages;  
"I'm fine now, Dani, aren't I, Aaron?"
Britt maintains that she is fine now, and this is backed up by Aaron.
"Do you want to come over for dinner next week?"
“I was wondering if you would like to come over for dinner next week?” Dani asks,
"That's a lovely idea"
and Britt thinks that is a lovely idea.   
"Are you sure everything's OK?"
Dani leaves, and when she and Aaron reach the top of the stairs, she enquires if he is sure that everything is OK, and he confirms this;  
Britt goes back to her usual miserable self
he rejoins his mother.
"Growing old is a pain!"
Ffion wonders when Hywel’s operation is due, and he complains, “Growing old is a pain.”   He is glad that he and Ffion can laugh, after the year they have had.   
"Do you still miss Sheryl?"
Ffion asks if he still misses Sheryl, and he replies, 
"I'm ready to move on"
“I’m ready to move on – I need to move on.   People have been through worse – what you went through was just as bad.   Do you think you’re ready to move on after Gethin?   “It’s a lot worse for you than it was for me – Gethin is still alive.”
The mention of Gethin puts a damper on Ffion's mood
Seeing Ffion’s gloomy expression, he adds, “You don’t want to discuss this,” 
"I still can't believe I didn't hit the bottle"
but she is still finding it difficult to believe that she managed to avoid hitting the bottle.
Hywel moves closer to her . . .
He moves closer to her and reminds her that she did not;  “You had plenty of opportunities – but I tip my hat to you, Ffion.   You’re one of the bravest people I know.”   
. . . he leans forward to kiss her
He estimates that this is the ideal moment to make his move, so kisses her;  initially she recoils from him.   
"How did I ever let you go?"
“How did I ever let you go?” he says, 
They kiss again . . .
and then they kiss again, this time with more input from Ffion, 
. . . but Ffion's unease is obvious
but she does appear somewhat apprehensive.