21 November 2019

"I'll take one for Iols to have with his tea"
Eileen has been cooking some brownies for Sioned, but Jim suggests he could take one;  “For Iols to have with his cup of tea,” and she is pleased that they understand each other better now.   “After I said how sorry I was, he was very good about it, fair play,” Jim goes on.
"This time of year is always difficult"
Eileen is glad that he seems to be more like himself today, and he has concluded that she is right;  “This time of year, losing Courtney, it’s always difficult.   
"I'm sorry for the way I've been behaving"
“And I’m sorry about the way I’ve been behaving recently – but it’s going to stop today!   I’m going to put this police business behind me, because it’s not doing me any good.”
"You need to apologise to Garry"
She reminds him that there is one thing he should do;  “Apologise to Garry – you don’t really want APD to lose the salon contract, do you?   
"You know what you have to do"
“You know what you have to do, then.”   He walks out of the farmhouse without another word.
"Drink this, Tesni"
Gerwyn offers Tesni a glass of headache remedy, but she cannot drink it;  “All right – if you want to have a headache all day,” he tells her.   
"I'm so sorry, Mam!"
Jaclyn comes in, and Tesni pleads, “Mam, before you say anything, I’m so sorry!   I shouldn’t have got drunk in the Deri – I feel so stupid.”   
"Not until you say sorry too!"
Her mother wants to give her a cwtch, but Tesni objects, “Not until you say sorry, too – for your little rant last night.   I heard every word – I understand – I do – that you were angry, frustrated.   So you apologise as well, and we’ll put everything behind us.”
"It's about time you heard the truth!"
Jaclyn is becoming angry;  “No – it was meant to be a night to remember, and you ruined it!   It’s about time you heard the truth!
Tesni grumbles that her mother really knows how to make her feel special, and Jaclyn shouts, “And no-one’s more special than you, are they?   
"You're a spoilt brat!"
“You’re a spoilt brat – you think you can do whatever you want – it’s all about you – and stuff everyone else!”   
Gerwyn is unable to calm matters . . .
Gerwyn has attempted to stop this tirade, but without success, 
. . . and Tesni flounces off upstairs
and Tesni storms off upstairs.
"I'm not going to Penrhewl, Mam"
Eileen has gone to the shop flat, but Sioned is quite adamant that she is not going to Penrhewl, insisting “I’m working from home!”   
"There's a plateful of brownies there"
Eileen tempts her with the prospect that there is a plateful of brownies for her there, but she is unmoved.
"It's too risky to leave the flat"
“I don’t want to leave the flat – it’s too risky,” she says, but Eileen points out they cannot live the rest of their lives in fear.   
"I want to stay here, where I know I'm safe"
“I just want to stay here, where I know I’m safe – I won’t be safe at Penrhewl.   I’ve said no — and that’s the end of it.”   In that case, Eileen replies that it is time for plan B, which puzzles Sioned.
"Have you sobered up, then?"
Brenda is just on her way back to number 10, when Tesni comes out of the door, and is asked if she has sobered up.   
"Are you angry I went a bit overboard?"
“Are you angry that I went a bit overboard?” Tesni wonders, and her grandmother commiserates that she knows how to enjoy himself, rather like her father, who also cannot handle his drink.
"I can't handle Mam, either!"
Tesni moans, “I can’t handle Mam either – she’s so out of order – she says I’m selfish – ‘All that’s important to Tesni is Tesni!’” and Brenda predicts that she will come round, but Tesni does not care.     I’m not going to school with this hangover!” she groans.
"Is Garry around?"
Jim goes to the Deri, and initially refuses a pint, asking if Garry is there, but Cassie replies that he and Dani have gone shopping with Seren.  
That little girl's got clothes coming out of her ears!"
“Mind you, I don’t know why – that little girl’s got clothes coming out of her ears!   Can I give Garry a message?”
"I may as well have that pint after all"
Jim says that he will come back later, and then decides that perhaps he will have that pint after all.   
"Thirsty workers deserve table service"
Cassie will bring it over to him, remarking, “Thirsty workers like you deserve table service.”
Jim sits down, and looks around the pub, 
Jim's suspicions are at work again
and then appears to come to some conclusion;  he glares accusingly at Cassie.
Debbie is drinking from a can
On the bench outside the shop, Debbie is drinking from a can and looking into her carrier bag, when her mother-in-law comes into view;  
"Looking for your self-respect?"
“Are you looking for your self respect?” Kath asks, “I think it’s time we had another chat.   
"Drowning your sorrows, are you?"
“Drowning your sorrows, are you?”
"But I can't drown out you!"
Debbie replies that unfortunately she cannot drown out Kath, and maintains that she gets her sharp tongue from her mother-in-law.   “Mark thinks we’re too alike,” she goes on, 
"I'm nothing like you, Debbie!"
but Kath insists she is nothing like Debbie.
“You know what I want,” she continues, “You may have the papers, but you haven’t taken them back to the solicitor, have you?   
"Take the divorce papers back to the solicitor!"
“Take the divorce papers back to the solicitor today!   Do you understand?”
"Don't you think I've suffered enough already?"
Debbie questions, “Don’t you think I’ve suffered enough already?” but is told that Kath is just trying to protect her son, although Debbie would not understand that.
"It all makes sense now – you phoned the police!"
Jim is still sitting, pondering, when Cassie brings his drink;  he looks at her and begins, “It all makes sense now – you phoned the police!”   
"No, I didn't, Jim"
She of course denies this, but he goes on, “Don’t try to deny it – you were here – I know that you reported me!   
"Why won't anyone be honest with me?"
“Why won’t anyone be honest with me?” he screams, as he holds his head.
“Well, you’re wrong!” stresses Cassie, “Excuse me, I have work to do.”   Jim shouts that he is not leaving until Cassie admits it, 
"Well, you'll be waiting a long time, then"
and she turns to inform him, “Well, you’ll be waiting a long time, because it wasn’t me!”
"You're lying!"
He roars that she is lying, and flings his glass across the pub;  
He picks up some more projectiles . . .
then he picks up more glasses 
. . . and hurls them at the bar
and throws them as well.   
Cassie shields herself from flying glass
She screams at him to stop.
"Hiya Dad, I need help!"
In desperation, Debbie makes a phone call;  “Hiya, Dad?   No, I’m not – I need help!” she says.
Now furniture is also being smashed
Jim’s rage has escalated still further, and now he is smashing up the furniture in the Deri;   Cassie suggests they go outside for some fresh air, 
"You reported me!"
but he still snarls, “You reported me!”   At that moment, Brenda comes in and is astonished by the scene that greets her.
"Stop, Jim!"
“I know what your game is – you don’t fool me,” Jim growls at Cassie, as he picks up a chair and is about to launch it towards her.
"I phoned the police"
Brenda shouts at him to stop, and reveals that she was the one who phoned the police;  
"Why don't we go home?"
“Why don’t we go home, and I’ll explain everything?   Come on.”   
They go, leaving the wreckage behind
She leads him out of the wrecked pub, as Cassie surveys the carnage.
"I should have admitted it"
They have arrived at number 10, and Brenda says, “I should have admitted that I reported you.”   
"I thought we were friends , Brenda"
Jim had thought they were friends;  she points out that they are, and that is why she phoned the police.   “I saw you driving off without strapping Huwi in.”   He insists that there was no need to phone the police, and she could have cost him his licence.   
"I had no idea what you were going to do next"
She adds that he was drinking, and she had no idea what he was going to do next. Again he protests that he only had one pint, and she replies, “You needed a wake-up call!   I wanted to frighten you, so that you would go for tests.”
"I don't need any tests – I'm fine!"
He repeats that he does not need any tests, and he is fine, but she can see that he is not;  
"It's as if you are lost – you need help!'
“Sometimes you’re far away – it’s as if you are lost – you need help!”   Jim scoffs that she thinks she is a doctor now, 
"I've been here before, Jim"
but she explains that she has been here before.
"My husband was exactly like you"
“Ned, my husband – he’s been dead for ten years now – sometimes it feels like yesterday, and sometimes like such a long time ago.   He was exactly like you – something would come over him, and he’d get angry for no reason.   That wasn’t the man I married.”
"What was wrong with him?"
Jim demands what was wrong with him, but Brenda simply urges, “Just go for the tests – he had a brain tumour.   You said I’m not a doctor, 
"You're changing, Jim, in front of my eyes"
“but you’re changing, Jim, in front of my eyes.   I had to do something.   He is now looking very apprehensive.
Eileen and Sioned share a bottle
Eileen and Sioned are now sharing a bottle of Prosecco, 
"I'm glad you're relaxing"
and her mother is pleased to see Sioned relaxing; 
"It's not only me who's been struggling, is it?"
“It’s not only me who has been struggling, is it?” says Sioned.   
"I don't think we'll see Jessie again"
Eileen is confident they will not see Jessie again, and remarks, “Jim’s started cooling down as well – he was completely obsessed with finding out who reported him to the police – he was beyond!   He wouldn’t talk about anything else – but there we are, it’s behind him now.   Shall we have another bottle?   I’ll go and get one from the Deri – this was the last one in the shop.   Are you coming with me?   We’ll come straight back.”   
"No, I'm going to stay in the flat, Mam"
Sioned is determined she will stay in the flat, alleging that she needs to tidy up, but thanks her mother for coming.
"Why didn't you say something sooner?"
“Why didn’t you say something sooner?” Jim demands, and Brenda does not know the answer to that, 
"It was hard, Jim"
pointing out that it was hard.   “What kind of bloke was he?” Jim goes on, and is told that he was quiet.   “He didn’t have much choice with you!” Jim remarks.
"He understood me and I understood him"
“We were chalk and cheese,” Brenda recalls, “But he understood me, and I understood him.   He wasn’t a flashy bloke – there were no grand gestures, but he’d bring me a cup of tea in bed every morning, and there would be a lunchbox in the fridge, for me to take to work.   It’s the little things that count, isn’t it?   And he made me laugh – he was hilarious!   
"Cancer isn't fussy about who it chooses"
“Then the laughing stopped – you never think it’s going to happen to you, but cancer isn’t fussy about who it chooses.”
"What were his symptoms?"
Jim asks what were his symptoms, and she describes how he would forget things, and lose his temper;  “He started losing his balance and falling – I thought he was just tired, or had some virus.   It never crossed my mind that it was a tumour.”
"I'm not saying this to frighten you"
She assures Jim, “I’m not saying this to frighten you – I want you to do something.   If Ned had gone to the doctor earlier, he might still be here.”
"I'll make an appointment today"
Jim decides that he will make an appointment today, and thinks that he would have liked Ned;  Brenda agrees with that, 
"Jim just dropped in for a cup of tea"
and then the door opens as Gerwyn comes in.   His mother says that Jim dropped in for a cup of tea, 
"Right, I'd better be going"
and he leaves.
Cassie clears up the glass
Cassie is sweeping up the broken glass from the floor of the Deri when there is a knock at the door;  she hopes that it is Garry, but it is in fact Eileen, 
"What on earth happened here?"
who is quite astounded by the state of the pub, and demands what has happened.
Cassie says that she is all right, and reveals that it was not a fight, or anything like that;  
"Jim got it into his head that I reported him"
“It was Jim – he got it into his head that I reported him,” 
"It's not your fault, Eileen"
and assures Eileen that it was not her fault.   
"I'll pay Garry for the damage"
Eileen does not know what to say, and agrees that she will pay the bill for the damage.   She leaves the Deri in a very troubled state, and Cassie resumes the clearing up.
At number 10, Brenda thinks she will go upstairs for a lie down;  
"There's something going on between Mam and Jim"
Gerwyn tells Jaclyn, “Between you and me, there’s something going on between Mam and Jim.   I came home earlier and the two of them were on the sofa, talking – and she was holding his . . .”
"Holding his what?"
“His what?” she demands excitedly, and he points out that it was only Jim’s hand, but they will have to keep an eye on them.   Jaclyn is convinced that he is imagining things.
"I thought you wouldn't be here"
Then Tesni comes in, and is in no better humour than earlier;  she had hoped her parents would not be there.   “Sorry to disappoint you!” her mother snarls.   
"Come on – 'white flag' time"
Gerwyn insists that this animosity has gone on long enough, and suggests that it is now ‘white flag time’.   
"I'm doing this for her own good!"
Jaclyn is quite determined, “I’m doing this for her own good – she is 18 – she is an adult – now start acting like one!”
"You're always picking on me!"
“And be boring like you!” is Tesni’s reply, “You’re always picking on me – I can’t do anything right!”   Her mother describes her reaction as simply childish, and forbids her from going out drinking again tonight.
"I'm moving out!"
Tesni announces that she is moving out;  “I can’t live with her any more,” she tells her father, 
"I shall be glad to see the back of her!'
and Jaclyn exclaims that she will be glad to see the back of her daughter.   Jaclyn recalls that she has been threatening to move out since she was six, 
"You want me to grow up – that's what I'm going to do!"
but this time Tesni is quite adamant that she means it;  “You want me to grow up – well, that’s what I’m going to do!” she shouts.
Eileen is back at Penrhewl . . .
Eileen returns to the farmhouse, and is surprised to see Jim, 
. . . where Jim is making afternoon tea
wearing an apron, has prepared afternoon tea for her.   
She looks very surprised
Seeing her incredulous expression, he asks, “What’s wrong?   Do you think I can’t make a few sandwiches?   
"I bought the cakes from the shop"
“But I have got one confession to make – I bought the cakes from the shop.”
"One tea, coming up"
He encourages Eileen to come and sit down, and pours her a cup of tea;  he remarks, 
"I called at the Deri,but Garry wasn't there"
“By the way, I called in at the Deri, but Garry wasn’t there – I’ll go and see him tomorrow.   
"I'm not going to let you down, I promise!"
“I’m not going to let you down, I promise.”
Eileen is worried
Eileen is looking very concerned indeed.