5 November 2019

Jason practises his French . . .
At the breakfast table in Bryntirion, Jason is practising his French, “Un grande verre de vin, s’il vous plait,” and Dai says that he sounds better than Poirot.   “Un grande verre de vin blanc for you, Sara,” he continues, 
. . . which Sara does not seem to understand
explaining to Sara that he has a French app on his phone, and is learning;  she seems rather unimpressed.
"The city of love"
Diane thinks they will have a lovely time in Paris;  “Coffee and croissants in little cafés – the city of love.”   
"Come on, we have to go to work"
Dai does not share her enthusiasm, but decides they had better get to work.   
"It's important to spend time as a family"
Diane says she will see Jason and Sara for lunch in the Deri, as it is important they spend time together as a family.
"Especially a family that's paying for a jolly in Paris!"
Dai adds his comment, “Especially a family that’s paying for a jolly to Paris!”
"I know you're not as excited as I am"
When they have gone, Jason tells Sara, “I know you’re not as excited as me about this trip, but I just really want us to try to enjoy ourselves.”   
"Of course I am, Jase"
She replies, not particularly convincingly, that she is excited.   
"No, you're not – but that's fine"
“No, you’re not – but that’s fine – I understand,” he goes on, “Just, while we’re out there, can we try, please?”   
Sara kisses him
Sara kisses him, and he also leaves for APD.
Dylan prepares to go out
At number 10, Jaclyn finds there is no milk left, and Dylan is putting on his jacket to go out;  
"You should have left half an hour ago!"
Gerwyn wonders what is wrong with him, and Jaclyn does not know the answer.   Then she berates Tesni, who should have left for school half an hour ago.
"I slept late"
“I slept late,” is her excuse, but is once again reminded that it is an important year – and the head of the sixth form is talking today about university applications.   Her mother stresses that the subject needs to be taken seriously.   
"I'm not sure I want to go to university"
“I’m not sure I want to go!” Tesni protests.
Jaclyn calls upon Gerwyn to back her up, 
"That's up to Tes, isn't it?"
but he says, “That’s up to Tes – I didn’t go to university, and I turned out fine!”   His wife begs to differ on that matter, but he does agree that Tesni cannot just turn up late to school.   Tesni rushes out of the door to escape.
"Where is she, then?   I want to talk to her!"
There is an urgent knocking on the door of number 9, and Cassie finds that it is Kath again;  she demands, “Where is she, then?” and is told that Debbie is having a shower.   “I want to talk to her!” Kath rages, 
"Shall I give her a message?"
and Cassie predicts that she is likely to have a long wait, suggesting that she could give Debbie a message, 
"No, I'll wait"
but Kath insists on staying.
“Why don’t you leave her alone?” sighs Cassie, “They’re back together – it was just a lovers’ tiff!   Every marriage goes through it – as you and I well know.”   
"It's my business if my son's married to a drug dealer!"
Kath informs her that she does not know what she is talking about;  “It’s my business if my son’s married to a drug dealer!”   
This comes as a shock to Cassie
Cassie is very shocked by this allegation, and Kath continues, “She was behind what happened to Ricky, her own son!   The police don’t know – yet – and there is a reason for that, 
"If she doesn't contact a solicitor today!"
“but I’ll tell them myself if she doesn’t contact a solicitor today to start divorce proceedings!   I don’t want her near my family!”
Cassie can now understand why she is angry, 
"Right, I'll tell Debbie that"
and agrees that she will give Debbie that message;  “Tell her I will be back later to find out what her decision is!” snarls Kath, and walks out of the house.
"We welcome parents taking an interest"
Jaclyn has gone to the school to speak to Gaynor;  “I feel a bit pushy,” she begins, but Gaynor welcomes parents taking an interest in their children’s education.   
"I'm worried she's wasting her talent"
“I’m worried about Tes – she’s not sure whether she wants to go to university, and I’m worried she’s wasting her talent.”
"Yes, Tesni is very bright"
Gaynor consults the computer and reports that Tesni is very bright;  Jaclyn suggests that the problem may be caused by her having a boyfriend.
"She has not written her personal statement yet"
“I can see that Tesni has still not written her personal statement – would you like me to have a word with her?” enquires Gaynor, 
"And I'll ask Ffion to talk to her"
“And I’ll ask Mrs Ffion Llywelyn to talk to her as well – pupils always react really well to her.”
"Nefi wen!   Look at these prices!"
Jim is working at APD, and Dai complains, “Nefi wen!   Look at these prices!   They’ve gone up again since you went away – anyway it’s nice to have you back, Jim.   Can you check the float for me, please?   This guy will want cash up front when we get the delivery later.”
"What do I press?"
Jim looks rather blankly at the till, and asks, “What do I press?”   
"The same button you've always pressed!"
Dai tells him it is the same button he has always pressed, and wonders what is wrong with him.   
"I've been away and I can't remember"
“Nothing – I’ve been away for a while, and I can’t remember,” Jim replies.
"How was New Zealand?"
Mark comes in with the post, and welcomes Jim back, asking, “How was New Zealand?”
"If my wife ran off to another woman!"
Dai wonders how he is;  “I don’t know how I would cope if my wife ran off to another woman!”   
"Shut up, Dai!"
Mark him to shut up and walks out of the shop, while Jim is still puzzling over the till, 
"No – it's not that one!"
finally pressing a button which only produces a loud beep.
"I've asked Tesni to come in for a chat at lunchtime"
Ffion goes to see Gaynor, who has asked Tesni to come in for a chat at lunchtime, and wants Ffion there;  
"Her mother thinks she is lacking in enthusiasm"
“Her mother came in this morning;  she’s worried that Tesni is lacking ambition, and I said we would have a word.”
Ffion has another matter she would also like to discuss;  
"You know this deputy head job that's coming up?"
“You know this deputy head job that’s coming up – I don’t know, after what happened last time.”   
"You should go for it, Ffion"
Gaynor is adamant that she should go for the job, as she regularly shows her dedication to the school.   
"I might do that, then"
Ffion is encouraged by this.
Gerwyn has found a dartboard
In the garage, when Mark comes in with the post, Gerwyn is putting up a dartboard;  
"Someone's busy!"
“Someone’s busy!” Mark comments, and is told that the dartboard was found in a drawer.   
"Ricky and I enjoy playing darts"
“Ricky and I enjoy playing darts – how is your game?” wonders Mark.
Mark seems to know what he is doing
As he has a few minutes, Mark agrees to have a quick game with Gerwyn;  he confirms that Ricky is settling down well in Cardiff, 
"I don't know how much work he's doing, mind"
but Mark does not know how much work he is doing.
"It might be a good idea for Tesni to have a word with Ricky"
“It might be a good idea for Tesni to have a word with him – she’s not sure whether she wants to go to university,” Gerwyn suggests, and Mark is sure that Ricky would be happy to talk to her.   Gerwyn says that Jaclyn would not appreciate the idea of her taking a year out, as Ricky did.
"Debbie felt the same when Ricky took a year out"
Mark appreciates that Tesni’s mother only wants the best for her;  “I remember Debbie felt the same when Ricky took a year out, but she came round in the end.”
Mark thinks he had better retreat
Gerwyn is confident that he and Jac always sort things out in the end, then inexpertly throws his first dart;  Mark makes sure he is well out of the danger area.
"Cup of tea, Cassie?"
Debbie has finished her her shower and comes downstairs;  when she offers Cassie a cup of tea, it is refused with the words, “I don’t want anything from you!” 
"I don't deal with drug-dealers!"
As Gwyneth returns home, Cassie explains, “I don’t deal with drug dealers!   It makes me sick to think I’m living under the same roof as one!”
Debbie assumes that Gwyneth has told her, 
"Kath told me earlier!"
but this is denied;  Cassie informes her, “Kath told me earlier – well done, Gwyneth, for allowing a drug dealer into your home.”   
"I know I've made mistakes"
Debbie acknowledges that she has made mistakes, 
"That's much more than a mistake!"
but Cassie regards it as much more than a mistake to give drugs to her own son.
"Look, she knows she did something terrible"
Gwyneth tries to explain that Debbie knows she did something terrible, and Cassie delivers the message that Kath will go to the police if Debbie does not start the divorce proceedings today;  “So do Mark a favour, and phone them – he deserves that.”
"What if Cassie goes to the police?"
Debbie wants to know what Kath is doing;  “I can’t have her telling everyone about this – what if Cassie tells the police?”   
Gwyneth is confident she can avert that possibility
Gwyneth will make sure she does not, and will have a word with her.   
"What am I going to do now?"
Debbie wonders whatever she is going to do now, and is told that she must phone a solicitor.
"Some clown told me it was Banksy!"
As they eat their lunch in the Deri, Dai asks, “Have you seen the graffiti on the chip shop?   Some clown told me it was Banksy!”   
"That will be good for business, Dai"
Jason thinks that will be good for business, but Dai replies, “People who queue up to see a Banksy aren’t the type to shop in APD!”
"We could go and see some real art"
Sara suggests that while they are in Paris, they could go to the Pompidou to see some real art;   Diane regards the Mona Lisa as real art.   
"I've always wanted to try escargots"
Sara also says she has always wanted to try escargots, 
"Snails?   Nefi wen!   Slugs in hard hats!"
but, almost choking on his meal, Dai exclaims, “Urgh!   Snails?   Nefi wen – they’re just slugs in hard hats – who knows what sort of dirt they’ve been wallowing in?   They belong in the garden – not on a plate!”   Diane appears to have been put off her soup.
Dylan and Jaclyn come in
Jaclyn and Dylan come in, and of course Dylan immediately looks across to Sara;  
"We're going to have a lovely time, Jase!"
in response she grabs Jason’s arm, and tells him that they are going to have a lovely time.
Gaynor and Ffion try to influence Tesni 
Tesni has been called to the head’s office, and it is explained, “We don’t want put pressure on you, just to point out that you have options.”   Tesni already knows that.
“You’re so lucky – you’re clever and would do well at University,” Ffion continues, but Tesni repeats that she does not know if that is what she wants.   
"Further education can open doors for you"
Gaynor stresses that further education can open doors and give her more options in the future.
Tesni's mind is made up
Tesni stands her ground;  “I know everyone’s obsessed with going to university, but I think there are other ways of getting to where you want to go.   And I think it’s a good thing that I’m trying to work out what’s best for me, rather than just following everyone else to university.”   
"You're very good at arguing your point"
Ffion concedes that she is very good at arguing her point, and Tesni asks if she can go now.
Jim has become a man of few words
Jim comes into the Deri, and Dai hails him as, “My right hand man!”   Diane asks him if it is nice to be back, and he answers that his cousin is much better, but is not very communicative.   
"I wonder what's wrong with him"
Diane wonders what is wrong with him, and Dai puts it down to jet lag.
"We don't have to worry about jet lag going to Paris"
“We won’t have to worry about jet lag going to Paris, will we, Sara?” comments Jason, “We’ll be too busy in the Pompidou and the Moulin Rouge,” and he goes to the bar for a coffee, and stands beside Dylan.
"Thank you for taking a step back from Sara"
Jason tells him, “I just wanted to say thank you for taking a step back from Sara – for doing the right thing in the end.”   
Another furtive glance
Dylan makes no reply, but he and Sara keep exchanging furtive glances.
"I had better get on – I don't want the sack"
In the garage, Gerwyn’s darts technique is not improving, and Mark thinks it is time he continued on his round, or he will get the sack;  Gerwyn remarks that the cars in the garage will not fix themselves.   
"Has anything changed between you?"
Mark’s next delivery is to Gwyneth’s house;  Gerwyn asks if Debbie is still there, and whether anything has changed between them.
"It's all a bit complicated, you know"
Mark explains, “It’s all a bit complicated, you know.”   
"I would forgive Jac for anything"
Gerwyn maintains that he would forgive Jaclyn for anything – he would not care what she had done.   
"Even if she'd been lying for months?"
“You really believe that?   Even if she’d been lying for months?” Mark demands, but Gerwyn is sure that he could not live without her.
Kath turns up again
There is a knock at the door of number 9, and in comes Kath once more;  Gwyneth heard that she had been there earlier, 
"Debbie, you've got a visitor!"
and calls Debbie downstairs.   
"You had no right to tell Cassie!"
“You had no right to tell Cassie!” she protests, but Kath maintains that she has the right to do what she likes.
Kath hands over a solicitor's number
She makes it abundantly clear, “I have the right to tell the pigs if you don’t phone a solicitor!” and hands over a card with a solicitor’s number.   She will not take no for an answer, and is adamant, “I’m fed up with waiting for you to sort things out!”
"Would you put your own daughter-in-law in jail?"
“Would you put your own daughter-in-law in jail?” Debbie demands, 
"There's no need to answer that, is there?"
but Kath doubts if there is any need to answer that.
"Dylan is not very communicative, either"
Jaclyn asks Dylan if he is OK, and he says that he is;  she must get back to work, and as she is about to leave, 
"Did you manage to talk to Tesni?"
she meets Gaynor, who reports that she and Ffion tried to talk to Tesni.   
"Tesni is determined to make her own decisions"
She continues, “Tesni is determined to make her own decisions.   I do understand – I have two daughters, and I’ve lost count of the times they’ve gone against me.   We all want the best for our children, but they do tend to find their way in the end.”
What is he doing with that phone?
Dylan appears to be sending a text from his phone;  
"Oh, I feel a lot better"
then, as he walks towards the door, Diane asks how he is, after the accident, and he says he feels a lot better.
“Have you heard where these two lovebirds are going on holiday?” she goes on, 
"Were going to Paris"
and Jason announces that it is Paris.   
"Paris - that's all we hear about!"
Dai as usual, complains, “Paris – that’s all we hear about –you would think they were moving to a flat on the Champs Elysees!”   Dylan remarks that Paris is lovely at this time of year, and hopes that they enjoy it.
"I've left my handbag at APD, Dai!"
As Dai and Diane are also about to leave, Diane finds she has left her handbag at APD, and Dai does not have any money.   
Sara leaves, ostensibly to go to the cashpoint . . .
Sara will go to the cashpoint to get some.
. . . but when she sees Dylan, goes towards him
Dylan is outside, on the phone, and instead of heading for the cashpoint, Sara gravitates towards him;  
"Remember, I'm still your boss!"
he, rather irritably, tells her, “If you want time off work, you have to tell me, OK?   I’m still your boss!”
"Dylan, please – I miss you!"
“Dylan, please – I miss you!” she says, and grasps his arm, 
This is witnessed by Diane
just as Diane emerges from the Deri;  she had been under the impression Sara was going to get money from the cashpoint.   Dylan tries to makes it look as if she was asking for leave and simply walks away.
"What was that about?"
Diane demands, “What was that about?   It didn’t look like nothing to me!”   
Diane is definitely not convinced
The excuse of asking Dylan for leave does not impress Diane, and she advises that there is no need to get any money now, as Jason will be paying the tab this afternoon.
Dylan hangs around on the corner
Sara looks along the street, where Dylan is still hanging around, watching her.