15 July 2019

"The care team visit every day"
Outside the shop, Colin is telling Gwyneth that the care team visits Britt every day, and says that Al is with her now;  he has most of the items on his shopping list, then goes inside for the rest.   
Gaynor is looking forward to her six-week holiday
Gaynor follows him in, and is pleased that, as from Friday, she will have six weeks’ holiday and cannot wait.
"I hardly saw her over the weekend"
“A meal for two, a glass of wine and a chat with Izzy,” she predicts, “I hardly saw her over the weekend.”
"No, not now she's with Eifion"
Colin absentmindedly replies, “No, not now she’s with Eifion,” 
"Oh, forget I said that!"
and then realises with horror what he has said.   Gaynor demands how long this has been going on;  “Er, forget I said anything,” he mumbles, “It has only been a couple of weeks – he and Izzy seem very happy – everyone deserves a second chance, don’t they?”
"Don't say you support them"
“Please don’t say you support them – 
"You're impossible sometimes, Colin!"
“you’re impossible sometimes!” she rages, and marches out of the shop. 
Izzy is in the Deri, and tells Eifion that she is working;  
"Carrying a box of strawberries isn't working!"
he replies that so is he, but she does not regard carrying a box of strawberries as working.    When Jim comes in, he assumes that they are talking about him, 
"We're organising swimming lessons for adults"
and Izzy informs him that Yr Antur is organising swimming lessons for adults.
“Perhaps you should sign up, now you won’t let me teach you any more,” suggests Eifion, 
"Not after last week's farce!"
but Jim is adamant he is not going near a pool after last weeks farce;  everyone was laughing at him.   Izzy maintains that he should carry on with Eifion, if he does not fancy the lessons;  she thinks it is important for everyone to learn to swim.
"I've lived over 50 years without being able to swim"
“Listen, I’ve lived for over 50 years without being able to swim, so it doesn’t matter any more!” Jim insists, 
"Not frightened, are you?"
but she suspects that he is frightened, and assures him he does not have to feel ashamed.
“I could learn to swim, if I wanted to,” he grumbles, 
"Try again this afternoon, then"
so Eifion invites him to try again this afternoon.   
"I won't hear the end of it otherwise, will I?"
Jim groans, “I won’t hear the end of it, otherwise, will I?”   Eifion thanks Izzy for her help in persuading him, and she describes him as a ‘part-timer’.
Britt obediently takes her tablets
Britt is just taking her tablets when Colin comes back;  
"Before you ask, everything's OK"
“Before you ask, everything’s OK,” she reports, then, as he unpacks the groceries, 
"I was thinking of doing another shift in the chip shop"
she goes on, “I was thinking of doing another shift in the chip shop today – a longer one this time.”
Colin harbours some doubts
He is rather doubtful about this, but is told that Al thought it was a good idea, as long as Britt does not overdo it;  “Everything went all right last week, didn’t it?” Colin says, 
"Yo do get tired, remember"
but he reminds her that she does get tired.   
"It will help me feel normal again"
She puts that down to the tablets, but is feeling fine, and welcomes the chance to get behind the counter, because it helps her to feel normal again.
"You'll be there to help if I need it"
“You’ll be there to help if I need it, won’t you?” Britt remarks, “Right, I’ll go and get changed.”
Eifion warns Izzy of the situation
Izzy has returned to Llwyncelyn to find her phone, which she left on the sideboard.   She sees a message from her father;  “I’ve told your mother about you and Eifion,” which she is far from pleased to see.   
"I know you've spoken to Dad"
Before she can get out of the house, she is challenged by her mother, “I’ve been looking for you everywhere,” and Izzy knows that she has spoken to Colin.   “So it’s Eifion you’ve been seeing!   
"Why go out with him?"
“Why go out with him?   You can’t trust him – he’ll hurt you!   Do you remember what he did to me with those photos?   Men like him never change!”
Izzy protests that he has been honest with her about everything, 
"You could get anyone – why choose him?"
but her mother rants on about the fact that she could go out with anyone, so why on earth would she choose Eifion.   
"I really like him – and there's nothing you can do about it!"
“Because I like him, Mam – I really like him – and there’s nothing you can do about it!” Izzy replies.   She goes out and slams the door.
Jim is back in the swimming pool
In the swimming pool, Jim is no more relaxed than he was last week, and once more refuses to wear armbands.   
A rare underwater view of Jim
Eifion tries to encourage him to let go of the float, and we are treated to an underwater view of the proceedings.
He manages to get one hand off the float
“You’ll be fine,” insists Eifion, but Jim will only release his grip on the float with one hand;  nevertheless he reaches the other side of the pool.
Colin taps on the window
Colin is sweeping up outside the chippy, when he sees Britt cleaning the windows;  he tells her she should not be doing that, 
"I'm used to multitasking – I'm a woman!"
but she replies, “I can do that, and serve behind the counter – I’m used to multitasking, because I’m a woman.”   
Gwyneth is glad to see Britt back in action
Gwyneth comes in and is pleased to see Britt looking so well;  
"He's starting to get under my feet!"
“I’m much better, and enjoying being back – despite the fact I’ve got a shadow following me around,” Britt replies, “He’s starting to get under my feet!”
"I had no-one but Megan after my heart attack"
“You’re lucky to have him,” says Gwyneth, “I had no-one but Megan after I had a heart attack.”   
"Peas, chip and faggots, isn't it?"
Britt deduces that Gwyneth will want peas, chips and faggots, and is told that she has been away for too long.
In the pool Jim is becoming more confident, and Eifion tells him, “I’m sure you can swim the rest of the way without a float – you want to succeed, don’t you?”   
"I can't do anything right!"
Jim panics that he cannot do it – in fact he maintains he cannot do anything right, and points out that he is merely being realistic.
"I miss Courtney so much"
“I couldn’t teach Courtney, and now I won’t be able to teach Huwi either,” he laments, then apologises for his outburst.   “I miss her so much,” he goes on, and Eifion sympathises, 
"Yes, I miss the boys"
as he also misses the boys, although it is not the same thing.
"Take a break for two minutes, and we'll try again"
He attempts to encourage Jim, “We haven’t come here to be depressed – we’ve come here to teach you to swim.   Take a break for two minutes, and we’ll try again.”   
Jim has a swig of water
Jim takes a drink of water from his bottle.
The chippy seems to be running short of supplies
In the chip shop, Britt is compiling a list of things that are needed;  “Battermix, vinegar, tomato ketchup, mayo – and we’re out of pickled eggs!   
"You'll have to go to the Cash and Carry"
“You’ll have to go to the Cash and Carry,” she tells Colin,” We can’t wait until the end of the week – we don’t want our customers complaining, do we?   
"Aaron will be home soon to help"
“Go on, then – if we have a rush, Aaron will be home soon and he can help.   I’ll be OK – I need to do this – and remember to get a box of saveloys as well.”
Jim starts by holding on to the float with one hand . . .
Eifion instructs Jim, “This time, I want you to swim to the side with one hand on the float – then when I say ‘let go’, that’s what you do, all right?   But don’t worry because the water will hold you up, and so will I.   All you have to do is a doggy paddle.   Are you ready?”
. . . and then has no visible means of support
Jim starts on his way across the pool, and at the word, does in fact let go of the float, and successfully reaches the side.   
He is quite elated by his achievement . . .
He is quite jubilant and shouts, “I’ve done it!”   
. . . and is applauded by the other swimmers
The other swimmers all applaud him, and he thanks Eifion, 
Jim is still rather wary with Eifion 
but is careful not to appear too amorous.
Multiple customers arrive at the same time . . .
A group of school children come into the chippy, 
. . . and Britt has a job getting her head round the orders
and Britt becomes rather confused with their different orders;  one chips with gravy, one chip butty, one sausage, chips and gravy.   Then the third wants to change from gravy to curry sauce, so Britt looks for her pen to write it all down.
Aaron arrives in the nick of time
At this point, Aaron comes in,
"Watch those chips, Mam!"
and is quick to warn his mother to watch the chips, 
Smoke is emitting from the fryer
as they are burning.
"A few more lessons, and you'll be like Flipper!"
Eifion assures Jim that with a few more lessons, he will be like Flipper, and Jim seems eager to have another lesson before the end of the week.   
"I'll buy you a pint in the Deri tonight!"
“I’ll buy you a pint in the Deri tonight,” he promises Eifion.   
Jim boasts to Izzy 
When Izzy approaches, Jim boasts of his achievement.
"Mam knows about us!"
Izzy reveals to Eileen that her mother knows about them;  “Dad told her, and I’ve already had a lecture!”   Eifion protests that Colin promised not to say anything, 
Colin has returned to the village . . .
and just then, he returns from the Cash and Carry.
. . . and receives a mouthful from Eifion
“Hey, Col – why did you tell Gaynor about us?” Eifion shouts, 
"It was a mistake . . ."
and is told that it was a mistake.   “Gaynor hates me – we’ll get loads of hassle now!” rages Eifion, but Izzy insists her father did not do it on purpose.
Colin replies, “Look, I was really busy, 
". . . Gaynor was going on and on, nonstop!"
“and Gaynor was going on, non-stop – she was bound to find out anyway – hiding things never pays off!”   
"Don't bring Cadno into this!"
Eifion assumes that he is referring to Cadno, and Colin points out that things could have been different if Eifion had been honest.
"Things are easier when you're honest"
Gaynor has heard this altercation and walks towards them, as Colin insists that things are easier when you are honest.   “It’s easy to say that when you know nothing of the situation!” Eifion protests.
"That's what he does – creates animosity!"
Gaynor maintains that is what Eifion does;  “He creates animosity – 
"Do you see what kind of bloke he is?"
“do you see now what kind of bloke he is, Colin?”   
"Come on – we're going!"
Izzy comes to the conclusion that this is not helping, and drags Eifion away.   Gaynor looks very pleased with herself.
"I was like a fish – not that one there!"
Jim is in the chippy, bragging, “You should have seen me – I was like a fish – well, not like that fish there, obviously!”   
Britt checks the price list
Then he realises that Britt has given him the wrong change;  “There’s only £2.90 here – you owe me another pound.”   
"Look what you've done now!|
She leans forward to check his change, and knocks a container of curry sauce down his shirt 
Curry sauce on the floor
and on the floor, much to the amusement of the schoolchildren, who are still waiting.   
"Get the mop, Aaron!"
Colin takes charge, asking Aaron to fetch a mop, 
"I'm going home!"
but Britt simply mutters her apologies and walks out of the shop.
"You shouldn't have had a go at Dad!"
At Llwyncelyn, Izzy tells Eifion, “You shouldn’t have had a go at him,” 
"He should have kept the secret!"
but is told that Colin should have kept the secret.   “He didn’t do it on purpose – you know how much pressure he’s under at the moment with Britt and everything,” she emphasises, 
"He's the most gentle and lovely bloke I know"
“He’s the most gentle and lovely bloke I know – and jumping down his throat was not fair!”
"You and your father are very close"
Eifion realises that she and her father are very close, and says that she is lucky;  “Even when I was away travelling, he was always on the other end of the phone, to raise my spirits.   He phoned me once just to tell me what he had cooked for dinner.”   
"I wish my father had been like Colin"
Eifion wishes that his father had been like Colin, and is told that he never talks about his family.
“There’s nothing to say,” he shrugs,
"I'm sorry about earlier"
and confesses, “I’m sorry about earlier,” but Izzy points out that he has played right into her mother’s hands.
Britt is about to do some painting
Back in the chip shop flat, Britt has assembled her painting materials;  
"I've left Aaron in charge"
Colin reports that everything is now sorted out in the shop, and he has left Aaron in charge for a few minutes.   
"Are you sure you're all right?"
He asks if Britt is all right, and she admits that she should not have done such a long shift.   He is apologetic for leaving her and going to the Cash and Carry, 
"I've done too much too quickly"
but she replies, “I’ve just done too much too quickly, you know – and I realise that now.   That’s a good thing, isn’t it?   So don’t look so worried – 
"The doctor said it would be one step forward, two steps back"
“the doctor said it would be one step forward and two steps back, and I understand that now.”
She asks Colin to take over downstairs now, because she wants to do some more work on her picture;  
"What's it going to be, Britt?"
he asks what it is going to be, and she is not sure yet.   “Perhaps it will be nothing – or an abstract – perhaps it will be something new.”
"I was hopeless at school in Lampeter"
Colin recalls that he was useless at painting when he was at school in Lampeter;  there was always more paint on him than on the paper;  “Once I had paint in my hair, and all over my clothes – disaster!” he says.
Britt wonders what has changed, as he continues, “The colours are lovely.”
"It's the way I feel"
Britt thinks it represents the way she feels, 
"Go and help Aaron – I'll be fine"
then instructs him to go and help Aaron, because she will be fine;  “I’ll leave you with your masterpiece, then,” he smiles.
Colin does not want a confrontation
He comes out of the door of the flat and while hurrying round to the chip shop, Eifion shouts after him, “Hold on, Col,” 
"I'm not in the mood for an argument"
but Colin is not in the mood for another argument.   However, Eifion just wants to apologise;  “If I upset you, I upset Izzy – I’m sorry about earlier.”   
They bury the hatchet . . .
Izzy emphasises that he is not as bad as her mother suggests, so the two of them shake hands.
. . . but Gaynor looks determined to stir up trouble
Gaynor, who is just walking past the Deri, notices this and looks concerned.