5 July 2019

"Where have you been?"
At the swimming pool, Jim emerges from the changing rooms, and Eifion demands, “Where have you been?   
"You only had to strip and jump into those shorts"
“You only had to strip and jump into those shorts.”   He replies that he phoned Eileen, despite it only being half an hour since they left the house.
"Things haven't been easy for Eileen"
“Things haven’t been easy for her since she lost Angela,” Jim says, but Eifion maintains he should be ashamed of himself, using Angela as an excuse;  all he has done is waste time, to try and pull out of this lesson.
"Making up silly stories about your shorts being too tight!"
“Making up silly stories about verrucas, or your shorts being too tight,” Eifion goes on, 
"You'll lose weight when you start swimming"
“You’ll lose weight weight swimming – your hour starts when you get in the water – 
He does not look likely to jump in
“unless you want to jump in, of course!”
Sara receives unwelcome news
At breakfast time in Bryntirion, Sara receives disappointing news while Dai is engrossed in a book – the book by Cassandra Auburn.   
"I didn't get that job!"
“I didn’t get that job,” she complains, but Dai simply grunts;  “The job I was interviewed for yesterday,” she continues.
"You're far too good for them"
He responds that she is far too good for them;  “That’s what they said, too – over qualified,” she groans, then wonders what he is reading, as it has been in his hands for hours.
"Just some rubbish that Diane keeps aroung the house"
Dai dismisses it as nothing important, but just some rubbish that Diane keeps around the house;  
"I've never heard of Cassandra Auburn"
Sara has never heard of Cassandra Auburn, and Dai decides he had better go to APD, to see what sort of mess Mathew has made of the place.   
"Grandad will see you later"
He says goodbye to Ifan.
"It was a mistake to come home so quickly"
Garry has brought Hywel home from hospital, but advises him it was a mistake to come home so quickly;  “I’m fine – and they were happy to have the bed,” Hywel replies.
"If the doctor knew you were coming back to an empty house"
“If that doctor knew you were coming back to an empty house,” Garry begins, and apparently the hospital had been told that he was staying with Hywel.   “Both you and I know you would find another way to come out, if I hadn’t collected you,” he grumbles.
"Dad!"
Rhys sees his father and comes across, 
"Let's go in, Garry!"
but Hywel, followed by Garry, go in through the door, 
The door is slammed in Rhys' face
and shut it behind them.   
"Your father needs time"
Izzy is outside the Deri, and advises him that his father needs time;  
"Do you know how fed up I am with hearing that?"
“Do you know how fed up I am with hearing that?” Rhys snarls, “Sorry – I’m angry with myself, not you.   If I just been honest from the start.”   
"I could have explained how much I love Ffion"
Izzy wonders if it would have made any difference, but he says at least he could have explained how much he loves Ffion.   
"It's a bit early to talk about love!"
She thinks it is rather early to talk about love, but he insists that he knows how he feels.
Kelly is still faced with Ed's belongings
Kelly finds that next day Ed’s belongings are still in the flat, 
Again she looks at the watch
and again she looks at the watch, quickly replacing it when she hears someone coming upstairs;  
Sara comes to see her
it is Sara, and Kelly reports that she slept like a log.   
"Logs don't sleep!"
“Actually, I don’t know why people say that, because logs don’t sleep!”
Sara refuses a cup of tea, because she does not have time;  
"You look as if you could do with a cup of tea"
however, Kelly says that she looks as if she could do with one.   “I had a bit of bad news earlier – I didn’t get that job – you don’t fancy a night out tonight, do you?”
"I'm not on the gins any more, remember"
Kelly reminds her that she is not on the gins any more, so Sara invites her for dinner at Bryntirion;  
"Sitting on the sofa, listening to Dai and Diane snoring"
Kelly is not looking forward to, “Sitting on the sofa, listening to Dai and Diane snoring,” but Sara says they are out, and Jason is working all weekend;  she could do with a bit of company.
"I don't think this one likes curry"
“All right, but don’t cook anything spicy, OK?” warns Kelly, “Unlike its mother, I don’t think this one likes curry.”   
Kelly receives a phone call
Sara leaves as Kelly’s phone rings;  
"Yes, I'll pick it up later"
“Yes, I’ll pick it up later, if you want,” she says.
In the swimming pool, Jim is splashing frantically with his legs;  
"I told you to kick, not start a tsunami!"
“I told you to kick, not start a tsunami!” scolds Eifion, 
Jim does not take the criticism very well
“You have to kick lighter!   And when you’ve got enough confidence, 
"You can kick your way across the pool"
“I will get you a float, and you can kick your way across the pool.”
"If I drown, I'm no good to Huwi then!"
Jim is not sure about doing that, and is afraid of going under;  “If I drown, I’m no good to Huwi then!” he exclaims, so Eifion points out that he only has to put his feet down.   
The splashing resumes
Then they get down to some more kicking.
"I take it you're still worried about your father"
Rhys is sitting on the sofa, looking very sorry for himself when Ffion returns from school;  “I take it you’re still worried about your father,” she says, 
"Why don't you go to the hospital again?"
“Why don’t you go to the hospital again and try to see him?”
“There’s no point – he’s home,” is Rhys’ glum reply, “I tried to talk to him, and all he did was ignore me again.   
"Esther is with Julie!"
“Do you know what else I found out today – from Kath Jones, of all people?   Esther is with Julie – Dad preferred to send her there rather than leave her with me.   
"I'm not upset – I'm angry!"
“I’m not upset – I’m angry!”
Ffion decides that she has had enough;  “We’re going to sort this out once and for all!   We’re going to see your father.”   Rhys predicts that he will not open the door, but she argues, “We’re not going there to argue, we’re going with kindness, 
Ffion will take Hywel a meal
“I’m going to make him some food, something that will help him recover.”   
"You're wasting your time!"
Rhys is convinced that she is wasting her time, but she insists that at least she is trying, and wants him to help;  “Unless, of course, you enjoy all this arguing.”
"After another lesson, I'll be like a fish"
After his session in the pool, Jim seems to have become more optimistic, and suggests, “After another lesson, I’ll be like a fish.   I should have done this years ago.”   
They meet Izzy . . .
They encounter Izzy, who assumes that he is preparing for Huwi’s lessons, 
. . . and Eifion reveals that Jim cannot swim
but Eifion reveals that Jim cannot swim.   
"Everyone will know now!"
“Oh, everyone will know now!” laments Jim, but she promises not to say a word, and imagines that Jim will not have any time for farming before long.   
"It's a good job I've got natural buoyancy"
He points out, “It’s a good job I’ve got natural buoyancy – it makes his job a lot easier.”
Hywel is doing the washing up . . .
Hywel is attempting to fend for himself, and is doing the washing up, with his crutches propped up nearby;  he accidentally knocks them to the floor, 
. . . and has to retrieve his crutches
and then has to attempt to retrieve them.   Managing to get one, he levers himself upright, 
Then he trips over the chair leg . . .
then trips over a chair leg 
. . . and crashes to the floor
and ends up flat on the floor, in considerable pain.
He pulls himself along . . . 
Dragging himself along the floor towards his phone, which he can see is on the table, there is a knock at the door 
. . . but then hears the voices of Rhys and Ffion . . .
and he hears Rhys’ voice, saying, “Dad, I know you’re home!”   
Ffion suggests that perhaps he is in bed, and needs some peace;  they will come back later.   
. . . but he will not shout for help . . .
Meanwhile, Hywel doggedly refuses to call for help, 
. . . as he inches towards his phone
and continues dragging himself towards the phone.
"I've seen a lot of you two today"
In the Deri, Izzy remarks that she has seen a lot of Jim and Eifion today;  just as Jim offers to buy them a drink, 
"Mine's a pint, Jim!"
Dai, who is nearby, says that he will have a pint.
"He has probably fallen asleep"
Rhys remarks to Ffion as they enter the pub, that his father will never forgive him, but she replies, “He is probably on a lot of painkillers, and has fallen asleep.” He maintains that his father could not get upstairs in his condition, so must be on the sofa.
"It smells like chlorine, I think"
As Ffion goes to the bar, Izzy comments, “Can anyone smell something?   I’m not sure, I think it smells like chlorine.   Nobody’s been swimming, have they?”   
"The smell's coming from you, Jim"
Dai has also detected it, and comes to the conclusion the smell is emitting from Jim.
Jim suggests that perhaps Dani is using a new bleach, 
"Sheep dip – we've been busy all afternoon"
but then Eifion comes up with a plausible explanation;  “Sheep dip – we’ve been busy all afternoon, haven’t we, Jim?” and Dai likens him to Little Bo Peep.   
"I feel sorry for the sheep, having to smell like that!"
Ffion feels sorry for the sheep, having to smell like that.
Kelly has something in the Tesco bag
Kelly returns to the café flat, carrying a hessian Tesco bag;  her phone sounds, 
She ignores a call from Sara . . .
but she ignores the call, which is from Sara, 
. . . and opens the light she bought for the baby
and fetches the box containing the light for the baby’s room.
"You're naughty, Izzy!"
Eifion tells Izzy, “You’re naughty!”   She invites him to buy a bottle of wine and walk her home, but he does not relish the thought of spending an evening with her mother.   
"Mam won't be home tonight"
However, when she reveals that her mother will not be home tonight, and that she does not want to stay in the pub all night, he agrees that they could go somewhere else.
"You nearly gave me a heart attack just now!"
Jim comes in from the toilet, grumbling, “You nearly gave me a heart attack just now!”   Izzy says he ought to be grateful she did not make a joke about armbands.
"You're not reading that book again!"
Jim finds Dai reading that book again, and takes takes it from him;  
"This is a book for women"
“This is a book for women – why are you reading it?”   
"I like to know what's going on in their heads"
Dai answers that he likes to know what is going on their heads – between their ears.   “I know the author – and do you know what?   You know her, too!” he says.
The phone is now within Hywel's grasp . . .
Hywel is still making his arduous progress across the floor, and the phone is at last within reach;  
. . . and after serious thought . . .
he thinks very carefully about who to ring, then dials Garry’s number.   
. . . he rings Garry
Garry says he will be there in two minutes and rushes out of the Deri.
"Cassie?   Writing dirty books?"
“No!” exclaims Jim, “Cassie?   Writing dirty books?”   Dai urges him to keep his voice down, for heaven’s sake, 
"You're like a foghorn after a couple of pints!"
remarking that he is like a foghorn after a couple of pints, but Jim is adamant that Dai must be pulling his leg.   
"How dirty is dirty, then?"
“How dirty is dirty, then?” he enquires, and Dai says it is described as a romantic novel.
"There's plenty of 'how's your father'!"
He points out, “There’s plenty of ‘how’s your father’ – a lot, to be honest with you – I’m reading it at the moment,” and Jim describes him as a pig.   “No, it’s Diane’s book, remember.”
"Do you think I could borrow it?"
“Do you think that, when you have finished, I could borrow it?” asks Jim, and is told that he can, on condition that he keeps it quiet.   Dai does not want the people of the village to think that he is spreading rumours about Cassie writing dirty books, or Diane would kill him.
"I don't usually give men a second chance"
As they enjoy a meal in Tapas, Izzy says it is the last thing she was expecting to do tonight;  “I’m not usually a woman who gives men a second chance.”   
Eifion promises that she will not regret it, and she hopes that he is right.
"Back to the Deri, or a taxi to Swansea?"
“What do you want to do now – back to the Deri for last orders, or a taxi to Swansea?” Eifion asks, and she would prefer to go home, as her mother is away on some boring course in Cardiff, they will have the house to themselves.
"Let's get to know each other properly"
He wants them to do things differently this time, to take their time, and get to know each other properly;  “But don’t worry, I do want us to have fun as well!   You need a good night’s sleep tonight, and I want you to be ready to go out by two o’clock tomorrow.   
"Afternoon tea in the Glyndwr"
“We’re going out on a date – I want to do something I’ve never done before – afternoon tea in the Glyndwr.”
"You should go back to the hospital"
Garry has managed to get Hywel off the floor, and he is now on the sofa;  “I still think you should go back to hospital, to make sure everything’s all right,” he says, 
How long were you on the floor?"
but he is told to stop fussing.   “How long were you on the floor?” Garry demands, 
"Have you considered asking Rhys to help you?"
“Have you considered asking Rhys to come home until you’re better?   It makes sense – you need someone here, and he wants to help.   I texted him, and he is worried about you.”
"He doesn't care about anyone but himself!"
Hywel snarls, “He doesn’t care about anyone but himself!”   
Garry reminds him that life is too short to hold grudges;  “I thought that you of all people would know that!   What if I hadn’t been home tonight?”   Hywel replies that they are plenty of other people he could have phoned.   
"I can't understand why you don't miss him!"
“You could have been on the floor all night!” Garry continues, “Rhys is your son – I can’t understand why you don’t miss him!”
"I do miss him – but I can't talk to him"
Hywel reluctantly confesses, “I do miss him – but I can’t talk to him.   It doesn’t matter how hard I try – and I am trying, believe me – 
"I can't forgive him!"
“but the thought of talking to him – forgiving him – I can’t!”
The meal goes uneaten
Kelly has not arrived at Bryntirion, and Sara is concerned about her;  
"It's not like you not to turn up"
she leaves a message, “I can’t understand where you are tonight – it’s not like you not to turn up.   I’m really worried now.   Can you phone me or text to let me know you’re OK?”   
The food is put away in the fridge
She begins to put away the food in the fridge.
Sara's message goes unnoticed . . .
Her message appears on Kelly’s phone, which is on the table beside the baby’s light, emitting soothing colours and music.   
. . . as Kelly stares at the light
Kelly sits, mesmerised by it, 
She gets a box . . .
then walks across to her bag, and takes out a box, which she also places on the table.   
. . . containing Ed's ashes
A label on the box is inscribed, “The ashes of Edward Charles  23/01/79 – 19/05/19.”