23 July 2019

"I don't want a lecture, all right?"
Sioned walks into the shop flat, vowing that she is never going to drink again;  she also points out to DJ, “I don’t want a lecture, all right?”   
"I was up half the night, worrying about you"
He replies that he was up half the night, worrying about her;  “I’ve lost count of how many times I tried to phone you.”   Sioned gives the excuse that her phone battery died, 
Sioned appears to be thirsty
as she swigs from a litre carton of orange juice.
“Do you remember the nasty things you said to me last night?” he enquires, 
"After a couple of vodkas, I lose my mind"
but she says that after a couple of vodkas she loses her mind.   “You tried to get me to go to bed with you,” he continues.
“That proves how drunk I was – I was just drunk, end of!” she snarls.   
"I was out with Pete, and had a really good time!"
DJ asks exactly where she was last night, and she replies, “If you really want to know, I was out with Pete – and I had a really good time.”
"What's happened to you, Sioned?"
“What’s happened to you, Sioned?” DJ demands, “I’m trying to be a good friend, but you don’t appreciate anything.”   
"Leave me alone, will you?"
She shouts at him to leave her alone, and he concludes, “Right – if that’s how you feel, you won’t care if I leave.”   She tells him not to be so dramatic, 
"I can't take any more – I need a break!"
and he reveals that he cannot take any more – he needs a break.
"Cup of tea, Cassie"
Gwyneth brings Cassie a cup of tea, as she works hard on the laptop;  “I’m not one of those people who needs to lock themselves away to work,” she says, 
"I'm redrafting the novel"
adding that she is now redrafting the novel for the benefit of the girls.
"What – just to please Diane and Anita?"
“I can’t believe you’re changing it just to please Diane and Anita,” remarks Gwyneth, but is told that she has to build some bridges, or nobody will come to the Gin Club.   “They can’t be good friends if they don’t realise it was a misunderstanding,” says Gwyneth, 
Miniature bottles of gin
and shows the present she had at Christmas, a selection of small bottles of gin.
"You sound exactly like Jean McGurk!"
“You sound exactly like Jean McGurk!” says Cassie.
Sioned has some toast
Sioned has made herself some toast, and is surprised to see that DJ is carrying out his threat to leave;  
DJ is preparing to leave
he puts various garments into a bag, and tells her he does not know where he is going, 
"I don't know when I'll be back"
or when he will be back.
Sioned pleads that what she said was just a joke, and is sorry, but he stresses, “It wasn’t funny!   
"I can't stay here, watching you destroy your life"
“Sioned, I can’t stay here, watching you destroy your life – I think too highly of you.”   
A short-lived feeling of guilt
She has an, unfortunately fleeting, look of guilt.
Britt is lying on the sofa . . .
Britt is lying on the sofa when she hears Colin coming in, 
. . . but pretends she has been busy
and pretends that she was busy cleaning;  he asks if she is going down to close the chip shop, 
"Can you do that for me, Col?"
but she wants him to do that, as she is busy.   
"You are all right, aren't you?"
She assures him that she is all right, and he goes down.   
She returns to the sofa . . .
She lies down once more, 
. . . but Colin creeps back, unnoticed . . . 
but Colin returns silently up the stairs
. . . and sees her
 and looks at her, 
He is concerned
with a concerned expression on his face.
Ffion wants to book a holiday
In the café, Ffion says she would like to book a holiday by the end of the week, 
Rhys is busy, planning his gym
but Rhys is too busy looking for gym equipment online.   “Are you free to come with us?” she asks, and he replies that he does not have much time to go away.
“I need to find a builder who can do the work quickly,” he says, 
"Dai, I want to pick your brains about adapting Yr Antur"
and Ffion points out who has just arrived, to order a cup of tea and cake.   “Dai, I want to pick your brains about adapting Yr Antur into a gym,” Rhys begins, and Dai enquires exactly what he wants to do.
Dai has a few ideas, which would cost . . .
“The best place for changing room and showers would be out the back in the storeroom,” Dai advises, “It’s hard to say how much it would cost – 
"Four or five thousand"
“about four or five thousand.”   
Rhys ponders that he will need to spend thousands on equipment as well, 
"You should have a rent reduction"
but Ffion comments, “If you’re paying for improvements to the building, you should have a rent reduction.”   
"How about unisex changing rooms?"
As Gwen brings his order, Dai suggests that Rhys could halve the cost by having unisex changing rooms;  “Why not?   It’s hard to tell the difference these days, with all the muscles around!”   
"Do I look like a gerbil that likes running on the spot?"
Ffion suggests that Dai may like to join this new gym, but he answers, “Do I look like a gerbil that likes running on the spot?”
"Another late night, was it?"
Sioned comes in, and asks Gwen for black coffee;  Dai immediately pipes up, “Another late night, was it?   I hope you’re not a bad influence on my son!”   
"DJ's going away somewhere!"
He is surprised to hear that DJ is going away somewhere, and she does not know where.   “What have you done now?” he demands.
Gaynor is in a hurry to collect Izzy's things
Gaynor has gone to Penrhewl to collect Izzy’s belongings;  “I could have brought the rest of the stuff over later,” Eifion tells her, but she seems to be a great hurry, and refuses a cup of tea.   
"We're going to see more of each other now"
“Come on – we’re going to see more of each other now,” Eifion protests, “And I’m glad that you and Izzy have patched things up – we can be like any normal couple now.   I thought we understood each other after last night.”
"The only important thing is that Izzy's home"
Gaynor has other ideas;  “The only thing that’s important to me is that Izzy’s back home!”   He realises that she was just pretending, 
"You'll never change, Eifion!"
and she spells it out, “I won’t let somebody like you come between me and my daughter – you’ll never change, Eifion – it’s only a matter of time before Izzy sees through you!”
"I didn't realise you took so many tablets"
Ffion did not realise that Rhys took so many vitamin tablets, but he explains he has just had a three-month supply delivered.   
"Sometimes in life you've got to go for it!"
“I’ve decided to give the contract to Dai,” he tells her, “Sometimes in life you’ve got to go for it,” and he kisses her.   “I couldn’t have done this without you,” he goes on, “And it will be a while before Arwen comes home,” as he starts leading her towards the bedroom.
"You should be going to see Dai"
She protests that he should go and see Dai, but he maintains nothing is more important than Ffion;  
"I love you!"
“I love you!”   She suspects this is only because she invested in his business, but he insists that he really does love her.   
Ffion is rather uneasy about this
She is rather embarrassed by the whole thing.
"Gin and Tonic, please"
In the Deri, Diane comes to the bar and rather coldly asks for a gin and tonic from Cassie, 
"Here's the second draft of the story"
who says, “I’m glad to see you – here’s the second draft of the story.   I hate to think that a little story has come between friends, especially one that wasn’t supposed to be read.”
"The G&T is on the house"
Diane takes the manuscript, and Cassie will bring over her G&T – on the house.
"Hello, Britt – how's Aaron enjoying the holidays?"
Gaynor comes into the Deri and finds Britt there;  “How’s Aaron enjoying the summer holidays?” she asks, 
"I just want some peace and quiet today"
but Britt just wants some peace and quiet today, so she gets up and walks out.   
"Don't take it personally"
Cassie advises not to take it personally, as Britt is having a bad day;  Gaynor feels sorry for Colin.
"What do you mean – finishing?"
At that moment, Colin is reacting badly to the news of DJ’s imminent departure;  “What do you mean – finishing?   You’ve only worked one shift!”   DJ explains that he is going away for a while, 
"You can't go away!"
and Colin squeals, “You can’t go away!   We are depending on you here!   Britt can only work a few hours a day!”
"I'm sure you can find someone to fry chips"
DJ is confident that he can find someone to fry chips for a while, and Colin continues to rant, “What am I supposed to tell Britt?   This will knock her - you’ll see!”
"Is it true?   You're moving out of the shop flat?"
Then Dai comes in, having been looking for his son, and demands, “Is it true?   You’re moving out of the shop flat?   What’s going on, DJ?”   The reply is that DJ needs a break from this place – a long one.
"Have you argued with someone?"
Dai assumes that he has argued with someone, and DJ confirms that he and Sioned have quarrelled;  
"The trouble is I'm too thin-skinned"
he admits that he is too thin-skinned.   “But it doesn’t matter now.”   
Dai insists that he will not let her push DJ away, reminding him that she has made a mess of his life once before;  
"I'll sort that Jezebel out!|
“Don’t go anywhere until I’ve sorted that Jezebel out!” he growls.
Diane peruses the manuscript
Diane is looking at the second draft of the novel, 
"She looks as if she's reading her own obituary!"
and Cassie remarks to Gwyneth, “She looks as if she’s reading her own obituary!”   Gwyneth seems disappointed that she has bothered with a re-draft, but Cassie stresses that she does not like upsetting people.
Diane is much happier about this version
Diane returns to the bar, after a quick look at the manuscript, and thanks Cassie for removing the parts about her and Dai;  “I can’t wait to go to bed tonight to start it – 
"See you at the Gin Club?"
“and the Gin Club will be a good chance to talk about it.”
"I was worried about Arwen"
All this time, Eifion has been sitting at the end of the bar, looking depressed.   Ffion joins him, and he apologises for stirring things up;  “I only disagreed with you because I was worried about Arwen.”   
"That's 'water under the bridge' now"
She appreciates his concern, but now regards it as ‘water under the bridge’.
When asked how Arwen reacted to news of ‘the new boyfriend’, Ffion admits she has not told her;  
"I don't know what's wrong with me"
“I don’t know what’s wrong with me – I can’t find the words with her – or with him!   
"He's just said that he loves me"
“He’s just said that he loves me – but I don’t know – I’ve been hurt so much in the past, 
"I'm scared to commit"
“I’m scared to commit, especially to someone so much younger.   Do I love him?”
"What have you done to him this time?"
Round at the shop flat, Dai is in a furious mood;  “I want to know what you’ve done to him this time!   Nothing as serious as last time, I hope!”   
"That was Gwyneth, not me"
Sioned emphasises that it was Gwyneth, not her, but he continues, “DJ stuck by you, didn’t he?”
"You're making a fuss out of nothing!"
This has roused Sioned’s anger, and she snarls, “You’re exactly the same – making a fuss out of nothing!”   
"You're pure poison – and toxic!"
Dai in turn, describes her as, “Pure poison, and toxic!”   Sioned insists that they argued because she was drunk;  she made fun of him and it did not go down well.   “You don’t have many friends in Cwmderi as it is – and now you’ve lost DJ!” Dai informs her. 
"We're only friends because we lived together!"
Sioned screams, “Big deal!   We were only friends because we lived together!”   
This confirms DJ has made the right decision
She is unaware that DJ is listening from the doorway;  having heard this, he turns and leaves.
"You've really done it this time!"
“Happy now?   You’ve really done it this time!” Dai rages at her, “You’ve driven him away – perhaps for ever!   
Sioned realises she has really put her foot in it
“You deserve everything you get – everything!”
Colin checks Britt's tablets
Britt is still asleep on the sofa as Colin checks that she has taken the day’s tablets;  the buzzer sounds, 
'Hello, Gaynor"
and when Britt hears that Gaynor is coming up, 
Britt escapes to the bedroom
she escapes to the bedroom, informing him, “I’m not good company today – I overdid it yesterday.   
"Apologise to Gaynor for me"
“By the way, apologise to Gaynor for me – I was rude to her in the Deri.”
"She's gone for a lie-down"
Colin explains that Britt has gone to lie down, and wanted him to apologise on her behalf;  Gaynor understands that some days will be better than others, and that she will not get better overnight.
"I wish she wouldn't shut me out"
Colin wishes she would not shut him out, 
"You mustn't crowd her, Colin"
and is advised to avoid crowding her.   “I just want things to go back to how they were,” he sighs, 
"Teasing each other, laughing – quarrelling"
“Getting up together in the morning, having a chat over breakfast, teasing each other, laughing – quarrelling, of course.   I always looked forward to seeing her after work.”
"You're talking as if she's gone for ever"
“You’re talking as if she’s gone for ever,” Gaynor comments, “Perhaps you’re expecting too much, too soon.”   
"I'm not sure which Britt is lying next to me"
He haltingly says that he wakes up in the morning, and is not sure what which Britt is lying next to him.
Gwyneth is feeling out of things
Gwyneth appears to be aggrieved that Cassie and Diane are now getting on so well.   
"Gaynor knows about us now"
Eifion acquaints Ffion with the fact that Gaynor knows about him and Izzy;  “Put it this way – she wasn’t as supportive as Colin,” but he is happy that they can now be open about it.
Rhys comes swaggering in, still in his ridiculous baseball cap, so Eifion will go,
They are pleased they are friends again
glad that he and Ffion are friends again.   
"Did the company get back to you?"
She asks Rhys if the equipment company got back to him, but he replies in the negative.   
"You know I do see a future with you, don't you?"
“You know I do see a future with you, don’t you?” Ffion begins, “Why else would I be investing in the business?   And we are living together.”
"You don't need to explain"
Rhys says she does not need to explain, but she continues, “It’s difficult for me – I’m scared to say the words – you don’t do something like this on a whim.   I want to be perfectly sure of my feelings before I say anything – but when I do say it, you’ll know that I mean it, OK?”
"Another toyboy I have to forget about"
As they kiss, Cassie remarks, “Oh well, that’s another toyboy I’ll have to forget about.”   Diane says he probably reminds her of his father years ago.   
Gwyneth is going home
Gwyneth, still looking rather disapproving, is now going home.
"That Sioned deserved a telling-off!"
Dai is growling at DJ, “That Sioned deserved a telling-off!”, but DJ wishes he had kept his nose out.   “A real father can’t do something like that – there’s room for you in Bryntirion,” Dai goes on, 
Dai tempts him with a 'fatted calf'
“I’ll kill the fatted calf, and we’ll have a huge ribeye steak!”
"I need some time to myself"
“I’ve told you I need to go away and have some time to myself – and now I don’t have a job, this is my chance,” DJ points out, 
"But Ashursts always stick together!"
but Dai insists that Ashursts always stick together.   “I’ll be back after I’ve cleared my head,” DJ tells him, and walks out of the Deri.
"Just be patient, Colin"
Gaynor advises Colin to be patient, and as she leaves the flat, Britt emerges from the bedroom, in a troubled state;  he explains that Gaynor thought things were getting on top of him.
"I should be more of a support to you"
“I should be more of a support to you, but I can’t – I’m sorry,” Britt groans, but he says he is confident that things will get better.   
"I can't even look after myself"
“Colin, I can’t look after myself, let alone anyone else,” she laments, “I hate being like this – 
"I'm scared you'll start to hate me, too!"
“and I’m scared that you’ll start to hate me too!”
He makes it quite clear that will never happen;  
"You mean the world to me, Britt!"
“You mean the world to me!’   She sobs that things have been so hard today, and she is frightened that she will have to go back to the hospital.
"I don't want them to take me away again!"
“I don’t want them to take me away again,” but he assures her that is not going to happen;  
"Nobody is going to take you away"
nobody is going to take her away, and he hugs her.
Dai stomps round the corner
As Dai comes round the corner, Sioned meets him by the chip shop;  
"Have you seen DJ?   I want to apologise to him"
“Have you seen DJ?   He’s not answering his phone!   I just want to apologise to him.”
"Too late – he's on his way to Ireland"
Dai informs her that she is too late;  “He’s just caught a bus to Carmarthen – he’s on his way to Ireland, right?   
"You're the one who should have left!"
“But, of course, you’re the one who should have left!   You should have left this place – 
"You've always been selfish!"
“but there we go, you’ve always been selfish!”