25 July 2019

"Cassie's computer is private!"
Gwyneth arrives home, and is telling Kath on the phone, “No, I won’t do any such thing!   Cassie’s computer is private, that’s why!   
"You'll have to ask Cassie yourself"
“If you want a copy, you’ll have to ask Cassie yourself.”
She tells Cassie that Kath Jones wants her to print a copy of the redraft without her knowledge;  
"I lost my temper with her last week!"
“She’ll never change – I lost my temper with her last week!” Cassie replies, 
"We could change the Gin Club venue"
“I’m tempted to teach her a lesson – we could change the Gin Club location and not tell her.   You can come – you’re my best friend in the village these days.”   
Gwyneth is pleased that at last someone likes her
“We could have it here, in about an hour’s time,” Gwyneth suggests, and Cassie sets about telling the members via Facebook, and warning them not to let Kath know.
"We can have a glass of this"
Gwyneth produces a bottle and says they can each have a glass, then will hide it before everyone comes.
Rhys has brought flowers
Rhys comes swaggering into Cysgod y Glyn, again wearing that ridiculous baseball cap, and is carrying flowers;  Ffion is preparing the meal, but he insists that she has been booked at the salon for a pampering session.   
"Do I look like a scarecrow?"
“Do I look like a scarecrow?” she demands, but he replies that she is as beautiful as ever, and she deserves it.
"That's a nice surprise, isn't it?"
Ffion says to Arwen that it is a nice surprise, 
"Can I have my iPad?"
and Arwen asks, “Can I have my iPad?”   Ffion regards this as taking advantage while her mother is in a good mood, but Arwen begs her, “Please!”   She is warned to behave while Ffion is not there, 
She is soon engrossed
and immediately picks up the iPad.   
Rhys exhibits his customary sickly grin
Rhys is again wearing his smug, self-satisfied grin.
Sioned unloads the washing . . .
Sioned unloads washing from the machine 
. . . and finds one of DJ's shirts
and finds one of DJ’s shirts amongst it;  
"DJ has been in touch"
Diane comes upstairs and advises that DJ has been in touch.   Sioned immediately wants to know when he is coming home, but he has not told them that;  “Probably in a few weeks,” Diane predicts.
"I'm really sorry I upset him"
Sioned says she is glad he is enjoying himself;  “Like I told Dai, I’m really sorry I upset him.”   
"He'll be moving back to Bryntirion"
Then Diane continues that she has come to collect the rest of DJ’s things, as when he returns from Ireland, he will be moving back in with them at Bryntirion.
She knows the reason for that
This comes as a great disappointment to Sioned, and Diane goes to gather DJ’s belongings together.
Ffion is being ministered to by Debbie
In the salon, Debbie is working on Ffion’s hair, and Kelly is also there;  Debbie’s phone sounds, and she finds it is a message from Mark, trying to persuade her to go for a ‘STEN’ session in the Deri.   
"What on earth is a 'STEN' session?"
Ffion has no idea what that is and Kelly has to explain that is is a combined ‘Stag’ and ‘Hen’ party.
"We could go for a drink when we've finished here"
Ffion thinks they could go for a drink after they have finished there, but Debbie insists she does not want any fuss;  “We’re already married – we’re just doing it legally this time.”
Kelly wonders, “What does Kath think about having another Mrs Jones at Maes-y-Deri?” and Ffion replies that she is determined that they are going to have a day to remember.   
"We're just going to pop into the registry office"
Debbie, however, is under the impression that the two of them will just pop into the registry office.
"Rhys and the band have made a lot of plans"
Ffion reveals, “Rhys and the band have made a lot of plans for you – it was Kath’s and Ricky’s idea.”
"Ffion, shut up!   It's a surprise!"
Kelly abruptly orders her, “Ffion, shut up!   It’s a surprise” 
"Looks as if I've put my foot in it!"
and Ffion looks suitably repentant.
Extremely badly attended Stag Party
Mark’s stag do appears to be very low key, with only him and Hywel at the bar in the Deri;  “You’re popular!” Hywel sneers, 
"Two more lagers, please, Dan!"
and orders another couple of lagers from Dan, who is now wearing glasses.   
"You want to watch that one!"
They look across at Sioned, and Hywel says, “You want to watch that one!”
Mark had heard that she had gone off the rails, and a lot of people are worried about her;  
"She was chasing me the other night"
Hywel continues, “She was drunk here the other night – chasing me, and being nasty about Sheryl – it’s best if you stay clear of her!”
"No, Kath, I will not give you a copy!"
Then Kath comes in, and Gwyneth makes it quite clear that she will not give her a copy of the novel;  she adds, mischievously, “But I will give you a spoiler – I think you’ll be interested in one of the main characters, 
"One of the characters reminds me a lot of you"
“a middle-aged woman who reminds me a lot of you.”   Gwyneth leaves, 
Kath does not like the sound of this
and Kath is now very troubled, telling Mark that she has to be somewhere else.
"I'm surprised you're out drinking again"
Sioned has come to the bar, and Mark is surprised that she is out drinking again;  “Listen, I understand that things have been hard, but this isn’t the way to deal with losing Angela.”   
"I'm just enjoying myself"
She, as usual, replies that she is just enjoying herself.   
"Things could turn out badly"
If you’re not careful, things could turn out badly!” he warns her, “Just look after yourself.”
"I don't need advice from you, or anyone else!"
“I don’t need advice from you, or anyone else here,” is Sioned’s answer, 
Mark and Hywel look at each other
so Mark walks away.
"Sorry I've spoiled the surprise"
At the salon, Ffion apologises, “I hope I haven’t put my foot in it, mentioning the band and spoiling the surprise,” but Debbie tells her to forget about it
"You could have fooled me, Debs"
“You could have fooled me that you weren’t livid,” Kelly remarks, 
"What else has she organised?"
but Debbie wonders what else Kath has organised – a horse and cart?   Kelly says that it will just be a sing song.
Debbie complains, “You know what Kath’s like – she wants to take over.   I’ve told her I don’t want a fuss – 
"What part of that doesn't she understand?"
“what part of that that doesn’t she understand?   If we tell the boys it’s a nonstarter, Kath will think of something else, just to have the final word!”   Kelly predicts that she will have a fantastic day, whatever happens.
"I'd prefer to slip away to get married"
Debbie says that Mark will not speak to his mother about it;  “I’d prefer to cancel it all, and slip away to get married.”   
"That might not be a bad idea"
Kelly comments that it might not be a bad idea.
Rhys wonders what to do next
At Cysgod y Glyn, Arwen is still on her iPad, and Rhys is working out what to do next;  
"Do you think Mam will look like a queen?"
“Do you think Mam will look like a queen when she comes back?” he asks Arwen,
"Yes!"
 and she says yes.
She activates playback of that recording
Then she taps on the screen, and Eifion’s voice can be heard;  “I don’t think he sleeps in the spare room,” 
At first, Rhys thinks nothing of this . . .
but Rhys thinks nothing of this.
However, when he hears Ffion’s voice, saying, “I’m not looking for a long-term relationship,” and admitting that she has not spoken to Rhys about it, 
. . . but then it becomes more interesting . . .
he takes more of an interest.
By the time Eifion compares him to a schoolboy who has got a crush on his first girlfriend, adding, “There’s not much in that head of his,” and Rhys himself can be heard joining them, he is listening very carefully, 
. . . and finally very concerning
and he does not appreciate Eifion’s parting comment, “It’s a mother he wants, not a girlfriend!”
"If you live life on the dance floor"
The Gin Club meets in number 9, and Diane reads an extract from the manuscript, “You’re only here once, but you only want to be here once if you live life on the dance floor.”   
Gwyneth's contribution to the Gin Club 
Cassie brings them some more drinks and unveils Gwyneth’s gift to the Gin Club, the miniature bottles.   
"I couldn't put this version down!"
“I must say, Cassie, I couldn’t put this version down – I thought it was excellent,” praises Diane, and Cassie is glad that her changes have been approved.
"I preferred the first version"
Gwyneth says that she preferred the first version – the one that made fun of Dai and Diane.   Then there is a reputed knocking at the door, 
Kath wonders what is going on
and Kath bursts in, wanting to know if Cassie is there;  she is very surprised to see the other members of the Gin Club.
“I want a word with you – I want to see the most recent version of your story!” she rages, 
"I've heard that you're making fun of me!"
“I’ve heard that you’re making fun of me!”   Despite Gwyneth’s assurance that she was only pulling Kath’s leg, she grabs the manuscript and begins looking through it.
"They're not based on anyone from Cwmderi"
Diane informs her that there is no-one resembling her, and Cassie reiterates that none of the characters are based on anyone from Cwmderi, 
A glass of gin calms Kath down
and Kath finally is placated by the offer of a glass of gin.
"Why don't you go and tidy your room?"
Rhys is looking at the iPad, and tells Arwen to go and tidy up her room to give her mother a surprise.   
"What do you think, then?"
Ffion comes in and asks if he likes her hair, but he looks very solemn;  
"I hope you haven't argued over that"
seeing the iPad, she says, “I hope you and Arwen haven’t argued over that!”
He plays back the recording
He activates the playback of the recording, in which Ffion confirms she is not looking for a long-term relationship;  when he stops it, he enquires whether she wants to hear some more.
"That was just a bit of banter"
She dismisses it as, “A bit of banter between Eifion and me,” 
"Making fun of me when Arwen was listening"
but he objects to making fun of him when Arwen was listening.   She argues that it was nothing, and he is just making a fuss.
"You're not looking for a long-term relationship"
“It’s obvious now why you can’t say that you love me – you’re not looking for a long-term relationship!   Just leave me alone!” he snarls, 
Rhys storms off
as he walks out of the flat.
Gwyneth palms off the Gin Club with cheap gin
Gwyneth is decanting cheap gin into a different bottle, as the drinkers will be no wiser;  “They’ve had enough as it is.   I’m enjoying myself – is that a sign that I’m getting old?”
"Kath is complaining about being thirsty"
Diane comes into the kitchen and reports that Kath is complaining about being thirsty;  
"It's so romantic, that meeting with Alfonso"
“It’s so romantic, that meeting with Alfonso in Tenerife, that inspired you to write.   Does he know?”
"No, he doesn't know"
Cassie replies that he does not, and never will;  Diane thinks that it could bring them back together.   Cassie makes it clear, “My relationship with Alfonso wasn’t perfect by a long way – 
"He was a horrible man!"
“he was a horrible man!   
This makes Diane very sad
“I romanticised in my novel about the type of relationship I wish I’d had with him.
"Well, no-one else is going to turn up now"
In the Deri, Mark has come to the conclusion that no-one else is going to turn up;  
Mark is summoned home urgently
then he receives a text message from Debbie, summoning him home immediately, and hurries off.
Rhys does not look any too pleased
Rhys comes in, looking seriously disgruntled;  he sees Sioned, still drinking, 
"What are you celebrating?"
and asks what she is celebrating.   She invites him to join her;  
"A tiff with Ffion?"
“What’s wrong with you?   A tiff with Ffion?” but he says it is more than a tiff.
“Don’t trust anyone, except for yourself – that’s what I learned!” Sioned advises him, and he thinks she may be right, 
"And I don't want to talk to him either!"
and he does not want to talk to his father tonight either.
“I’ve got a couple of bottles in the fridge,” Sioned tells him, “Come on!”   
Hywel keeps them under surveillance
Hywel watches them leave together.   
Kelly's pregnancy is becoming more obvious
As they emerge from the Deri, Kelly is coming out of the café, 
"Kelly, have you seen Rhys?"
and Ffion calls to her, “Have you seen Rhys?”   When Kelly cannot help, Ffion says that she expects him to be home soon.
Hywel is keeping an eye on things
Meanwhile, Hywel is hanging around at the end of the street 
Ffion tries to contact Rhys again
as Ffion tries to ring Rhys’ number again.
"What have you done to upset her?"
In the shop flat, Sioned asks what he has done to upset Ffion;  he replies that he has not done anything, and she calls him, “A softie, deep down!   Do you want to tell me what happened?”
"I assumed she thought more of me"
“I assumed that she thought more of me – it’s a long story and I don’t really want to talk about it,” Rhys groans, so she recalls, if it makes him feel any better, that she was let down last week, too.
"I slept with this bloke who had a girlfriend"
“I slept with this bloke, and I was stupid enough to think it could be more than a one night stand – but he had a girlfriend.   I don’t know why I was disappointed – 
"Every man is a selfish idiot!"
“every man is a selfish idiot!”   
"You women aren't too great, either"
He points out that women are not too great, either.
She wonders what is wrong with them;  
"We're not ugly – well, I'm not, anyway!"
“We’re young, we’re fun, we’re not ugly – well, I’m not, anyway!”   
"I've got a pretty face, and a body to match!"
Rhys maintains that he has a pretty face and a body to match, but she describes him as delusional.
There are no bottles left in the fridge
She discovers that there are no bottles left in the fridge, but remarks that there is a shop downstairs, so they go to see what they can find.
All this gin is not doing Kath any good
Kath is not feeling very well at Maes-y-Deri, and says that holding a Gin Club in the afternoon is not a good idea.   She thinks that Debbie’s idea of going upstairs for a lie down is a good one.
"Guess who's getting married tomorrow?"
Mark arrives, wondering why Debbie has summoned him, and she announces, “Guess who’s getting married tomorrow?   Us!   
Mark looks slightly non-plussed
“I phoned the registry office, and they have a cancellation.   Your Mam and Ricky are organising a surprise for us in two weeks, and you know I don’t want a fuss.   What do you say?   Will you marry me?”   
"Mam will never forgive us"
He insists that they have to tell the family – his mother would never forgive him, but she points out that no-one else matters, that this is their day.   
"We'll have a takeaway afterwards"
“We’ll all have a takeaway here afterwards.   And you’re on the sofa tonight – it will be unlucky to share a bed!”   Mark looks rather stunned.
Sioned helps herself to crisps
In the shop, Rhys is sitting on the counter, drinking, while Sioned selects a large bag of crisps;  “Have you ever had a girlfriend before Ffion?” she asks, 
"Nothing serious – I just wanted to enjoy myself"
and he says there was nothing serious;  he just wanted to be young and enjoy himself.
"Perhaps I should start doing that again"
“Perhaps I should start doing that again,” he suggests, and Sioned maintains that is the only way to make sure you do not get hurt.   
She is rather partial to those chilli flavoured Sensations crisps, but he points out, “I didn’t get this six-pack by eating crisps.”
He also likes the crisps
He is nevertheless tempted by Sioned, and tries one;  then he grabs the packet, telling her she must think of her waistline.   
He kisses Sioned 
He kisses her, which is presumably what she was hoping for.  
"What are we doing, Rhys?"
She wonders what they are doing, and he replies, “Having fun!”
Things develop . . . 
As they resume their activity, 
. . . while, outside, Hywel is on patrol . . .
Hywel is investigating further, and peers in the shop window, 
. . . peering through the window for evidence
witnessing what is going on, as they head upstairs.