29 July 2019

Letter from the Homeless World Cup Foundation
Ricky has received a letter from the Homeless World Cup Foundation, and his grandmother wants to know what it is about;  
"Don't sneak up on me, Gran!"
“Don’t sneak up on me – I could have been doing something private here!” he tells her.
She maintains that it is important that they know what he is up to;  
"I have to make sure you're not up to no good"
“To make sure that you’re not up to no good – what is this World Cup anyway?”
Ricky explains that it is a football tournament;  
"For homeless people, obviously"
“For homeless people, obviously, and it’s in Cardiff this year, so I’ve volunteered to be a First Aider tomorrow.   It will be a laugh, and good practice before the nursing course.”   
"Why don't you come for a run with me?"
He is now going for a run, and invites his Gran to join him;  predictably she declines.
"Tes and I are going on a date"
Mathew asks for Sioned’s opinion on his appearance;  “Will it do?   Tes and I are going on a date – a walk on the beach and some dinner.   How about you, bearing in mind what we talked about?”
"I'm not going out"
She assures him that she is not going out;  “Yes, I’m sure – now go out and enjoy yourself.”   
"Will you be all right on your own?"
He is still worried, and asks if she will be all right on her own.   She can come with them if she wants.   
"Watch you two, snogging all night – No!"
“And watch you two, snogging all night?” she sneers, “No, I’m fine.   Now, go – and be careful with the sand – it gets everywhere!”
Sioned gets out her phone
As soon as he has gone, she gets out her phone.
"If you don't want to run, a walk is better than nothing"
Ricky is still trying to persuade his grandmother to get some exercise, reminding her that she has not been to see Rhys for ages;  “Come on, just once round the block with me.   If you don’t want to run, a walk is better than nothing.”
"I'm too busy, Ricky"
As she is coming up with excuses, the door opens;  
Debbie and Mark are back from the Metropolis
Debbie and Mark are back from their weekend in London, and Mark comments, “London is not a patch on Cwmderi.”   
Kath will go and put on the kettle, 
"Any excuse not to go for a walk!"
a perfect excuse for not going for a walk.   Debbie has brought back presents for them, which include a tea-towel for Kath;  
"I can't wait to use this – what a treat!"
“I can’t wait to use this – what a treat!” she says, unenthusiastically.
"We didn't have much time to look for souvenirs"
Debbie tells them they did not have much time to look for souvenirs, 
"Spare us the details!"
and Ricky does not want them to go into any details.   “Right, we’ll go to the café – tea and cakes on me!” Kath informs them.   
"I'm cooking dinner tonight"
Debbie refuses the offer, and says she will be cooking dinner tonight, which Ricky hopes will be something healthy.
They are still in an amorous mood . . .
As Mark and Debbie kiss, 
. . . of which Kath does not approve
Kath groans, “Stop it, please – the honeymoon’s over now!”
Garry awaits a phone call
In the Deri flat, Garry is expecting a phone call when Dani walks in with a large parcel for him.   
"I haven't forgotten our anniversary, have I?"
“I haven’t forgotten our anniversary, have I?” he wonders, “What’s the occasion then?”   
"Come on, open it!"
She maintains that she does not need a reason to spoil him, and insists that he opens it.
Then the expected call interrupts them
Then his anticipated phone call arrives, which he is very keen to answer;  “What – you’ve got it already?   Great – no, I’d like to see it first – 
"I'll be over in five minutes"
“yeah, I’ll be over in five minutes.”   
Dani objects to this
Dani is of course not happy about this, and he explains that it is a problem at the garage; 
"I'll open the present later"
he will open his present later.   
Dani is smiling about something
Although annoyed, Dani is smiling.
"What are you doing tonight, boys?"
Just as Sioned is about to go into the café, she sees Iolo and Tyler;  
"Well, Dad's babysitting for us"
Iolo reports that his father is babysitting tonight, and they do not know where to go, so she invites them to a party at her place.   She assures them, “There won’t be any school kids there – everyone will be older.   We’ll have fun!”
"You could do something separately"
Iolo is not at all keen on this, so Sioned points out that they could do something separately;  “Tyler, you come to the party, Iolo, you go to the Deri.”   
Then she is off to invite someone else
Then she rushes off across the road to invite someone else.
Kath rather overdoes the sugar . . .
In the café, Kath puts three spoonfuls of sugar into her tea, 
. . . and Ricky is very disapproving
which is frowned upon by Ricky.   “I’ll start to eat healthily soon,” she says, 
"I'll start on Monday – I didn't say which Monday"
“On Monday – I didn’t say which Monday.”
Ricky receives an invitation
Sioned comes in to invite Ricky to the party, but he gives the excuse that he has a bit of a headache, 
"You were going running just now"
and needs an early night.   Mark says that he is a sensible boy;  
"Or boring!"
“Or boring,” Sioned comments
What an invitation!
“Would you prefer a night with me, or a night at home?” .
"If I were your age, boy . . ."
When she has gone, Mark tells Ricky, “If I were your age, I’d be at that party like a shot, headache or no . . .” 
A look of disapproval from mother
then stops as his mother glares at him, and decides to get more teas.
"You deserve a bit of fun, Ricky"
She tells Ricky that it is all right for him to have some fun, and he deserves it, but he points out his lack of money, 
Kath has become very lavish with money recently
so she slips some to him, so he can buy a couple of cans, but he is not to tell his father.   “Enjoy yourself, do you hear me?   
"She was all over you, like a rash!"
“And watch that Sioned – she was all over you like a rash just now!” 
"Was she?"
something which Ricky had apparently not noticed.
"We don't have to do it because Sioned says so"
At number 7, Iolo insists, “We don’t have to do things apart just because Sioned said so – we do enough apart as it is.   I go to Y Felin sometimes without you – 
"I enjoy your company – that's why I married you!"
“I enjoy your company – that’s why I married you!”   
Tyler replies that it may do them some good to be apart this evening;  
"You can tell me what a boring night you had"
“Look, I’m only going across the road – when I come back, you can tell me about the boring night you’ve had in the Deri.”   
"You'll only put up with it for half an hour!"
Iolo thinks that he will only endure it for about half an hour before he is back at home.   Tyler heads to the party.
Do they never perform a stock-take in the shop?
Sioned has amassed a very large amount of alcohol, presumably from downstairs in the shop, and Mathew is very surprised when he returns, explaining that Tesni is ill.   
Mathew turns the music down
He turns down the loud music, and asks, “Am I disturbing something?”   
"Look, I'm not going out, an I?"
She reminds him that she promised not to go out – and, true to her word, she is staying in the flat.
“I thought I could trust you,” he complains, and she points out she just wanted a bit of company, that is all.   
Mathew remonstrates with her
“You need a quiet time, not parties – so please cancel it!”   
"Too late, Mathew!"
She says that it is too late, as the first of her guests appears to have arrived, 
"Try to enjoy yourself for once!"
and urges him to try and enjoy himself, for once.   She turns up the volume again, and Mathew does not know what he can do.
An unfamiliar view of the shop
Some time later, we see an unusual night-time aerial view of the shop and the flat above;  
A number of strangers are at the flat
inside, the party is in full swing, with people dancing to the music, and Sioned again getting stuck into the alcohol.   
"You're embarrassing me, Mathew!"
Mathew tries to get her to slow down, but she accuses him of embarrassing her.   “I don’t know half of these – where did you find them?” he demands.
"They're just friends of friends"
“I know most of them – I texted a couple of friends, and told them to bring their friends,” she explains, and he points out that they could be anybody.   
Tyler has arrived
Tyler has arrived, so she urges him to try and put a smile on Mathew’s face;  “I’m fine,” she insists, Don’t I look fine?   Now drink this!”
"No-one's forcing you to stay here!"
Mathew refuses, so she tells him that no-one is forcing him to stay here.   
Mathew knows she is out of control
He is now very concerned about her well-being.   The flat is thronged with party-goers as Sioned make her way to the bathroom;  
She takes the plastic container . . .
she locks the door and takes from her bag on the windowsill the small plastic container.   
. . . decides against taking two . . .
She empties two tablets into her hand, then thinks better of it and replaces one of them.   
. . . and just swallows one of the tablets
After looking at herself in the mirror, she swallows the other, 
Close-up of party-goer Sioned 
and smiles.
Debbie calls upstairs to Ricky that dinner is ready, 
"He's gone to a party at Sioned's flat"
but is told by her mother-in-law that he is not there, as he has gone to a party in Sioned’s flat.
"I'm starving!"
Kath is by this time starving, 
"Salad?   There isn't enough there to feed a mouse!"
but is unimpressed by the bowl of salad on the table.   Mark points out that it is important to keep healthy, but she moans, “There isn’t enough there to feed a mouse!”
"We'd better have steak and chips to go with it, then!"
“Isn’t there?” replies Debbie, “Well, we’d better have steak and chips to go with it, then!” as Mark brings the meals to the table.   
Mark should have used an oven glove
The plates, which he takes straight from the oven, appear to be rather hot.
Dani comments, as Garry returns to the flat, “Oh, you still live here, do you?”   
"Britt's still struggling a bit"
He says that he called to see Britt on his way home;  she is still struggling a bit.   “Well, they said she will be up and down,” Dani tells him, 
"It's time for you to open this!"
“Right, now it’s time for you to open this!”   
"Those speakers I've been going on about!"
He suspects that it is the speakers he has been going on about;  “I knew if I hinted enough, you would give in.”   
Inside there is more wrapping
Inside the wrapping, he finds more wrapping, and she encourages him to keep going, which he does.
"I need something to help me cope with the music!"
At the party, Mathew has succumbed to the temptation of having a drink, and says he needs something to help him cope with the music;  Tyler tells him that Iolo is not coming, and Mathew suspects a lovers’ tiff.
Tyler is rather annoyed
Tyler is becoming rather annoyed;  “Tesni’s not here, and no-one makes a fuss about that!” he says, “I’ve come here and Iol’s gone to the Deri – it’s no big deal.”   Mathew is not convinced.
Ricky has arrived . . .
Ricky arrives, and Sioned is very pleased to see him;  
. . . and Sioned is inordinately pleased to see him
“Couldn’t stay away, could you?   I’m so glad you’re here – I think we’re going to have a lot of fun tonight!”   
He looks slightly nervous . . .
Ricky looks initially rather nervous, 
. . . and almost chokes on his shot
but downs a shot with Sioned.
The parcel has now become rather small
Garry is still unwrapping this parcel, and is now down to a very small item inside;  “Oh, Dan, how many layers have you done?” he demands, and she promises that he is on the last one.   
"How many times?   I don't want a dog!"
He suddenly exclaims, “I know – how many times do I have to say I don’t want a dog?”
"There isn't a dog in there!"
“Don’t be stupid,” she exclaims, “There isn’t a dog in here!” but he is convinced that it is a dog collar.   “No, come on – just open it, please!” she insists.
Then he discovers the truth
Inside a box, he finds a pregnancy test, clearly marked, ‘Pregnant’.   He looks at it in amazement, and Dani urges him to say something.   
"A baby?"
“A baby!” he gasps, “But we haven’t been trying, have we?”   She points out that accidents do happen – 
"A happy accident, I hope"
a happy accident, she hopes.
Garry does not know what to say at first, but then blurts out, “We’re going have a baby!” 
Garry kisses her . . . 
and kisses her.   
. . . amidst the discarded paper
We see the innumerable sheets of wrapping paper, spread all over the floor.
Ricky does not look too clever
Ricky appears rather out of his comfort zone at the party, but tells Sioned that he is enjoying himself.   
"Come out with me!"
“Come out with me,” she invites him, 
Ricky is not used to this sort of thing . . .
“Not on a date, out of here – to the bedroom!” 
. . . or, indeed, this!
and she kisses him, which he finds rather offputting.
"I just want to know you better!"
“Come on – I just want to get to know you better,” she continues, 
"Looks like you've scored there, Rick!"
and Tyler is under the impression that he has scored.   
Ricky cannot believe this is happening
Ricky admits to Mathew, “No girl has looked at me for months – and what happens?   I don’t feel well!”   Tyler hopes that he is not going to be sick, but is told that he has a headache.
"You really don't want to go with Sioned tonight – trust me!"
“Be grateful – you really don’t want to go with Sioned tonight – trust me!” warns Mathew, and suggests that he goes home.
Ricky looks across the room at Sioned, as if fixated
However, Ricky is looking at Sioned across the room, and asks if there are any painkillers;  Mathew replies that they are in the bathroom, and he should help himself.
"I like him!   He's cute!"
Mathew finds Sioned and instructs her to leave Ricky alone, but she answers, “Why?   I like him – he’s cute.”   He reminds her that she said she would not do this – threw herself at anyone, but she says that she and Ricky understand each other.   
"You're my best mate in the whole world!"
“Look at you – you’re so sweet!” she tells Mathew, “You’re my best mate in the whole world!”
Ricky cannot find what he is looking for in the cabinet
Ricky goes into the rather dark and gloomy bathroom;  he looks in the cabinet but cannot locate any painkillers.   
Then he notices the bag . . .
Then he notices the bag on the windowsill, 
. . . and takes out the Paracetamol container
with the container, clearly marked ‘Paracetamol 500mg’ inside it.
"You don't have to worry, honestly"
Meanwhile, Sioned assures Mathew, “You don’t have to worry, honestly.”
Ricky takes three tablets of . . .
Ricky takes three of the tablets from the container and swallows them;  
. . . what he believes to be Paracetamol
he puts the container on the windowsill and then returns to the party.