10 September 2019

Val has settled in . . .
Val is making herself at home at Cysgod y Glyn and is eating toast;  
. . . and has her props to hand
in front of her on the table are two empty vodka bottles.   She hears Rhys coming upstairs and hides them behind her back;  
"How could you, Rhys?"
when he comes into the room and greets her, she demands, “How could you?   I really thought you were good for her!” 
She produces the two vodka bottles
and theatrically produces the two bottles.
"Where did you get them?"
Rhys wonders where she got them, and she lies that she found them in his room;  “How could you be so selfish?   What if Ffion had found them?   You can’t keep alcohol here!   Have you been drinking while looking after Arwen?”
"They're certainly not mine!"
He emphasises that they are not his, but Val insists that they must be;  
"If it's not you, it must be . . ."
then she puts on an aghast look at the prospect that Ffion is drinking again.   “I don’t think so,” Rhys tells her, but she concludes that if they are not his, they must be Ffion’s.   
This has the desired effect on Rhys
As intended, doubt is introduced to Rhys’ mind.
Iolo shouts upstairs to Tyler that he does not want to be late;  
"I feel like a little boy on his first day at school"
“I feel like a little boy on his first day at school,” Tyler says, but Iolo encourages him that he is a good teacher, and he should not let this change who he is.
"You have to go – we have bills to pay!"
“Anyway, you have to go, because we’ve got bills to pay!” he continues, 
"You'll be all right"
“You’ll be all right!”
"An extra egg, instead of tomatoes"
In the café, Dylan is ordering from Gwen, “A full breakfast, but instead of tomatoes, can I have an extra egg?”   
Sara will have a green tea
She agrees to this request as Sara comes in, carrying a laptop, and will have a green tea.
"I've created a file of our regular customers"
She begins, “Listen, I’ve been doing some research, and I’ve created a file of our regular customers’ details, so we can contact them when there's a special occasion – like Hallowe’en or Valentine’s Day.   
"And I'm keeping a record of what's been ordered"
“I’m also keeping a record of what’s being ordered, so when we change the menu, we know what has worked and what hasn’t.   People weren’t too keen on the lobster.”
Dylan maintains that some people have no taste, but Sara points out that perhaps they do not have the money.   He can see that she has been busy, 
"I think I deserve a pay rise"
and she suggests that she deserves a pay rise;  “All the work I’ve done at home to help the business.”   
"We agreed the terms when you got the job"
He points out that they agreed the terms when she got the job, 
"But you're never there, are you?"
and she counters with, “But I didn’t know you would never be there!   I run that place on my own, Dylan – I do a lot more than I should.”
"An extra £100 per month?"
He is willing to offer an extra £100 per month, and a desk in the office to continue her good work;  
Sara drives a hard bargain
“£150, and you’ve got a deal!” she replies.   He will trial it for three months, but wants to see an increase in the takings.
"Are you free to try some wine?"
Then he announces that the wine supplier is coming today;  ‘Are you free to try the bottles?” he enquires, 
"What – get paid for drinking wine?"
and she welcomes the chance to get paid for drinking wine.   “What did you do to deserve a boss like me?” he asks.
Tyler prepares for the onslaught
Back in his classroom, Tyler is rather apprehensive as the pupils file in, and he tells them to sit down, as they have a lot to do today.   One of the boys comments on his shirt;  
"Nice shirt, sir – where did you buy it?"
“Where did you buy it, sir?” but is abruptly told that he is there to teach them, not to discuss fashion.   
"Someone's been kicked off the fun bus today"
“Someone’s being kicked off the fun bus today,” the boy remarks.
Rhys conducts an exhaustive search
Rhys is anxiously searching through the cupboards at Cysgod y Glyn, for any more alcohol, but has not found any.   
"What are you doing?"
Val asks what he is doing, 
"Where exactly did you find them?"
and he demands to know exactly where she found the bottles;  “Under the bed, with some old towels and things,” is the reply.   He enquires what she was doing under the bed, and she says that she was tidying, but apologises for going into his room;  “I just wanted to help.”
"There was no sign of her drinking until you turned up!"
“It’s just odd,” he says, “There was no sign that she was drinking until you turned up.”   Val is affronted that he is accusing her, but he points out, “It’s a hell of a coincidence!”
"Why would I do such a thing to my own daughter?"
“Why would do I do such a thing to my own daughter?” Val vehemently demands, but Rhys is sure he would have noticed if Ffion was drinking again.   
"Ffion's a very good actress"
His search takes him next to the filing cabinet, as Val describes her daughter as a very good actress.   Rhys has left a message for Ffion, but the signal is poor in that area.
Then he finds the half-full bottle . . .
Then he finds a half-bottle of Imperial Vodka which has been planted in the filing cabinet, alongside a cuddly toy;  his face falls, 
. . . and his reaction is exactly what she wanted
but Val looks quite triumphant.
Hywel is working on his laptop . . .
As Hywel works on his laptop at home, 
. . . when he receives his instructions
he receives a text;  “Come over in an hour,” 
Nasty malicious creature!
and smiles deviously.
Tyler seems to be preoccupied
In the school class, Guto asks Tyler if they are to do tasks one and two, but as he is deep in thought, he does not hear, much to the amusement of the other pupils.   
"Are you all right, sir?"
Guto goes to the front, and asks if Tyler is all right;  
"You only do task one"
he is informed that they should only do task one.   
"Are you sure you're OK, sir?"
“Are you sure you’re OK?   You look rather pale,” Guto continues.
"Stop flirting with him, just because Aled's left!"
The boy who made comments earlier tells Guto, “Stop flirting with him, just because Aled’s left.”   
"That's enough!"
Tyler takes exception to this, but is told that it is just banter.
"I'm not here to have banter with you, Jay Thomas!"
Tyler then loses his temper;  “I’m not here to have banter with you, Jay Thomas!   I’m here to teach you and I expect some respect!   Would you say that to Mrs Llywelyn?”   
"You're more of a friend, sir"
Jay asks which one he means, explaining that Sir is more of a friend.   
"I'm a teacher and nothing else, do you hear?"
“No, I’m not – I’m a teacher, and nothing else, do you hear?” Tyler rages.
Jay continue to taunt him, “You don’t have to act weird – 
"We know Aled was obsessed with you"
“we know you were innocent, and Aled was obsessed with you.”   
"I've had enough of this!"
Tyler has had enough of this, and just as he is about to walk out of the classroom, 
Gaynor arrives . . .
Gaynor comes in;  she is surprised 
. . . and is accused of checking up on Tyler 
when he rants, “You’ve come to check up on me!   Well, it’s perfect timing – I’m leaving!   
"I'm going home – I'm ill!"
“I’m going home – I’m ill!”   
Guto feels guilty for starting this off
Guto looks worried about what he has started here.
Dylan has brought a toy for Ifan
Dylan arrives at Bryntirion with six bottles of wine, and a Paw Patrol toy for when Ifan has to come to the office;  
"A happy business – more money for me!"
“I know childcare can be difficult, so if he has to come in, he has something to play with,” he tells her, “Happy staff, a happy business, more money for me!”
"Sorry for dragging you here"
She apologises for dragging him there, but Ifan has a temperature and everyone else is working late;  “Don’t worry – it tastes the same wherever I drink it,” Dylan says, 
"What shall we start with?"
“What shall we start with?   Sauvignon Blanc or Malbec?”
"Has anything happened recently?"
Feigning great concern, Val asks if anything has happened recently which might have caused this drinking problem, 
"I thought we were very happy"
but Rhys was under the impression they were very happy.   
"She was doing so well"
“She was doing so well – she hasn’t touched a drop for years – not even when Gethin did all those things,” Val sighs.
"I can't believe I wouldn't have noticed"
“I just can’t believe I wouldn’t have noticed,” groans Rhys, “Mind, I’ve never seen Ffion when she’s had a drink – but I want to hear the truth.”
Now Val really goes to town about Ffion's alcoholism . . .
Val warns him that he is not going to like it, then embarks upon a graphic description;  “It’s one of the worst things I’ve had to face as a mother – she’s not Ffion!   I really don’t want to scare you, but I have to prepare you – all that’s important to her is alcohol.   
. . . and Rhys does not like what he hears
“She gave Arwen to Siôn last time – the vodka was more important!”
He confesses that Ffion does not like to talk about it, and Val continues her scheming;  
"She's done some terrible things"
“I’m not surprised – she’s done some terrible things – not that I’m pointing the finger – it’s an illness, a terrible one that takes everything from you.”
Rhys is totally confused
Rhys does not know what to think, 
"I'm grateful they both have you"
and Val goes on, relentlessly, “I’m just so grateful that they both have you, especially Arwen.”
"I'll do everything necessary to look after them"
“I’ll do everything necessary to look after them,” he says, and Val calls that a great comfort, as he will be the one raising Arwen.  “I’m going to make sure that Ffion gets better,” he insists, but she does not know how long that will take.
"The next few months are going to be difficult for us all"
Then, right on cue, the buzzer sounds, and Hywel joins them, much to Rhys’ displeasure.   “I asked him to come over – the next few months are going to be difficult for us all – you especially.   You’ll need all the support we can give you.
Rhys angrily declares, “He won’t give me support – he enjoys seeing me suffer!” 
"That's not true, Rhys!"
but Hywel replies that is not true.   He will not leave, as Rhys wants him to do.
"I won't let you go through this alone!"
“I’ve seen Ffion drinking – no matter what’s happened, I won’t let you go through this alone!” his father informs him.
Tyler sits in front of the television
Tyler is sitting, watching the television, when Iolo returns home;  “What are you doing here?” he demands, and Tyler maintains that he is ill.   
"Did someone say something?"
Iolo wants all the details, and turns off the television;  “Did someone say something?”   
"I'm just ill – how many more times?"
Tyler denies this, and again stresses that he is ill;  the television is turned back on, 
Iolo is extremely concerned
and Iolo knows that something serious is wrong.
At Cysgod y Glyn, the assault on Rhys continues;  
"She'll have to go to rehab – or therapy"
“She’ll have to go to rehab, which hasn’t worked in the past, or therapy,” Hywel predicts, “She has to have a chance to discuss her feelings – and we need to know if there’s a pattern to why she starts drinking again.”
Val maintains that it is a illness, so there is no pattern;  
"She hasn't touched a drop for years!"
“Why has she started now, then?   She hasn’t touched a drop for years,” Hywel says.
"Are you trying to say it's my fault?"
“What are you trying to say – that it’s my fault?” Rhys demands, 
"She was all right before she started seeing me?"
“That’s what you’re suggesting – she was all right before she started seeing me!”
"This is about what's best for Ffion!"
Hywel emphasises this is not about him but about what is best for Ffion.   
"You're not part of Ffion's life!"
“Exactly – but you’re not part of her life!” Rhys reminds his father, “You couldn’t even look at me last week!”
"I don't want to see you waste your life with a drunk!"
Hywel argues that he does not care what has happened, Rhys is still his son;  “I don’t want to see you waste your life with a drunk!”
This infuriates Rhys, but his father goes on, “You haven’t seen her – last time, she wouldn’t change or wash!   She made a fool of herself!”
"How do I know you're not something to do with this?"
Rhys enquires, “How do I know that you’re not something to do with this?” as he holds up one of the bottles, “You’ve been desperate for revenge.”
"What?   I crept in with empty bottles?"
Hywel cannot believe he is suspected of creeping in with empty bottles, but Rhys considers it not beyond the realms of possibility.   Hywel demands, “Are you that desperate to believe shes not drinking?   
"It was bound to happen"
“She’s an alcoholic – it was bound to happen.”
"I won't stop loving her!"
“It’s not going to work – because I won’t stop loving her,” Rhys points out, but his father predicts that life will not be much fun when someone is totally dependent on him.
Hywel lays it on really thickly
“Cleaning up after her, carrying her to bed, hiding things she’ll do anything to get her way – stealing, selling,” but Val insists that he stops there, and wants him to leave.   
"Don't say I didn't warn you!"
“Don’t say I didn’t warn you!” is Hywel’s parting shot.
"I shouldn't have told you"
Then Val plays the sympathy card, admitting that she should not have told him.
"You, a personal trainer?"
Dylan cannot imagine Sara as a personal trainer;  “You’re obviously fit, but I can’t see you screaming at people.”
"Right, you – ten press-ups, now!"
In reply, she orders him to do ten press-ups now, 
That Dylan is a proper show-off!
but he boasts that press-ups are easy, and demonstrates ‘The Plank’.   
"Sioned woud be ashamed of her boyfriend!"
“Sioned would be ashamed of her boyfriend!” Sara exclaims, but he describes her as just a bit of fun, and not his type.   
They start on another bottle, as he declares, “I hope you know how much I appreciate you – it’s not easy to find staff I can depend on.”   
"Yes, I'm an example to everyone!"
Sara sarcastically agrees that she is an example to everyone;  he adds, “And you’re right about what you said earlier – I haven’t been around much recently.”
She is taken aback by a £200 cheque
He takes a cheque from his pocket to say thanks for everything;  “£200 for Ifan?” Sara says, puzzled, and refuses it.   “Don’t you think it’s odd you’re giving my son money?” she asks, 
"I don't think Jason would be comfortable with this"
“I don’t think Jason would be comfortable with this.”
Dylan assures her, “You always say that everything you do is for him – do you want to give him a better life – I just assumed it would go into his account.   
"I was just trying to make things easier for you"
“I was just trying to make things easier for you.”   Then she does accept the cheque.
How long has that baby-gate been at the foot of the stairs?
Iolo comes downstairs, opening the gate which prevents Greta from going up there, and asks Tyler what he wants for dinner.   
"Nothing"
“Nothing,” is the answer.   Then there is a knock at the door, and he does not want to see anyone, 
Tyler hides in the kitchen
but hides in the kitchen.
Iolo concocts a tale about Tyler being in bed
Gaynor has come to see how Tyler is, as he left school in rather a rush;  Iolo says that he is in bed, and he hopes that he has not passed it on to Greta.   “Let’s hope that it is just a 24-hour thing,” says Gaynor, 
"He's on thin ice as it is"
“He’s on thin ice as it is, so can you remind him I’ll need a doctor’s note if he’s off work for more than three days.”
This disturbs Iolo
When she has gone, 
"Did you hear what she said?"
Iolo asks Tyler, “Did you hear what she said?” but receives no reply.   
"Please, Ty, you have to start talking to me"
“Please Ty, you have to start talking to me,” but Tyler replies that there is nothing to say;  
"I don't know when I shall feel better"
he does not know when he will feel better, and now is going to bed, as he is ill.
"I think I went too far"
Val goes to visit Hywel, who confesses that he went too far, but she thinks that it worked;  “Oh?   I thought I’d pushed them closer together,” he says.   
"No – everything's going according to plan"
Val considers that it has gone according to plan, and enquires about the whereabouts of Esther.   
It is obvious what Lecherous Llywelyn wants . . .
“She’s at an after-school club – and she will be there for another hour,” he points out, and kisses her.   
. . . and true enough, off they go upstairs
As might have been expected, the two despicable schemers disappear upstairs.
Rhys does not know what to think
Meanwhile, Rhys sits alone with his thoughts, and the vodka bottles;  
When a call from Ffion arrives, he ignores it . . .
his phone sounds, but when he sees that Ffion is Colin, 
. . . and feels devastated
he ignores it.