16 September 2019

Jim is packing his case . . .
Jim is packing his case when Eileen comes downstairs;  
. . . and grabs his passport
he quickly picks up his passport and hides it in the case.   “I know, Jim!” she announces, 
Jim is rather scared
which he finds quite frightening, but then she goes on, 
"Did you think I wouldn't find the Bara Brith in the dog food sack?"
“Did you think I wouldn’t find the Bara Brith in the dog food sack?   Sneaking over to the village to see Brenda again, is it?   
"Why am I cooking you healthy food?"
“Why am I cooking you healthy food?”
Then the voice of Sioned can be heard, 
"If this is about the cooking lesson, I don't want to know!"
and Jim immediately snarls at her, “If this is about the cooking lesson, I don’t want to know!”   
"Sorry, Jim – I should have checked with you"
Sioned is sorry about that and acknowledges she should have checked with him first;  Eileen just wants to forget about that now, but Jim has other ideas.
"It's not as easy as that!"
“It’s not as easy as that!   Strangers in my home!” he rants.   
"Can I move back to the farm?"
Sioned changes the subject, asking if she can move back to the farm for a while, 
"Now is not a good time, Sioned"
but her mother does not think that now is a good time.   “You’re not coming back to make fools out of us again,” Jim informs her, 
"You're not coming here!   Right, I'm off"
“You’re not coming back here!   Right, I’m off.”
He picks up his case and, as the others do not seem to be taking any notice, repeats, “I’m off then!”   
Off Jim goes
Eileen replies that she will see him later, and he goes.   
"I said I was sorry, Mam"
Sioned whines that she said that she was sorry, but Eileen has a lot on her plate at the moment, with looking after a baby and running a business;  also going through the menopause is not easy.   
"This is not all about you, Sioned"
She reminds Sioned that this is not all about her, so she walks out in a huff.
"An accident with a fist?"
In the café, Brenda asks Hywel where he got that bruise, and is told that it was a accident;  “With a fist?” she enquires, “I just wanted to congratulate you as well – it was a great programme about the cuts to the old people’s homes.
"You mean my programme about Brynawelon"
Anita, who is sitting nearby, interrupts, “You mean my programme about Brynawelon – it was excellent, wasn’t it?”   Brenda wholeheartedly agrees with this, and asks Hywel to open the door for her.
Anita continues, “You know, that item you sacked me for, Hywel – remember?”   
"The item you broadcast without permission!"
He informs her that it was an item she broadcast without permission, then she tells Siôn that they must go, because she has a manifesto to write.
"If you're saving the world, don't let me stop you!"
“Well, if you’re saving the world, don’t let me stop you!” says Hywel, sarcastically, and she advises him that she is doing it for the right reasons.
"The more I try, the less respect I get!"
Sioned comes angrily into the shop flat;  “The more I try, the less respect I get,” she grumbles, “It’s like Mam’s giving up on me!”   
"She's probably still grieving over Angela"
Mathew points out that she is probably still grieving over Angela;  Sioned protests, “But I’m still here!   
"I feel like she's turning her back on me"
“I feel like she’s turning her back on me – but this time I don’t know what I’ve done.   And Dylan’s not answering either.”
"What you need is to go out"
Mathew comes to the conclusion that they are going out, but she does not want to, arguing that he said before that home was the best place for her.   
"You've calmed down now – you won't go overboard"
He reassures her, “You’ve calmed down now – I’m sure you won’t go overboard.   What else are you going to do – sit here, watching your phone?”
"I don't want to be with a lot of people"
She says she does not want to be with a lot of people, but he continues to insist it will do her good.   He picks up her bag and hands it to her;  
"Come on – here's your bag!"
“Come on!” he urges, and she succumbs to his entreaties.
Luned is videoing Anita
At Y Felin, Tesni and Luned are making a video of Anita, as she introduces herself;  “I’m sure that many of you will have heard my voice on CwmFM.   This village has been central to my life for years, 
"I'm hard-working and conscientious"
“and I love the people who live here.   I’m hard-working, conscientious – and I always prioritise others, ensuring that nobody suffers injustice.”
Siôn nods his approval
Siôn is sitting at the bottom of the stairs, smiling his approval, 
"I hope that you'll consider supporting me"
as she continues, “I hope that you will consider supporting me to represent Cwmderi this year – onwards!”   
"That was excellent, Anita!"
Siôn describes that as excellent, and Luned informs Anita that everyone who has the app will see her message.   
"It has been downloaded 673 times"
673 people had downloaded the app, the last time Luned checked, 
"It's a great way to reach people"
and Siôn stresses it is a great way to reach people.
"I need all the help I can get to beat Hywel Llywelyn!"
“I hope it was good enough, because I need all the help I can get to beat Hywel Llywelyn!” growls Anita.
Even the cakes cannot lift Jim's spirits
Jim has taken the Bara Brith to Brenda, and she provides some fancy cakes, but he is looking downcast, 
"What have you done, Jim?"
and she wonders what he has done.   
"My cousin lives in New Zealand"
He replies, “Well, I’ve got a cousin who lives in New Zealand, and he’s always telling me to come out and stay with him.   The flight’s leaving tonight.”
"Why, Jim?"
Brenda is very surprised, and asks him why;  he groans, “I’m not myself, am I?   I’m always so angry about everything.   
"It would be better for everyone if I went away for a while"
“It would be better for everyone if I went away for a while.”
Brenda asks what Eileen thinks about this, 
"I haven't told Eileen"
but is told that she does not know;  when Brenda objects to this, he insists, “I’m not cancelling now – it’s cost me a fortune!” and he indicates that he has his case. She is quite adamant that he has to tell Eileen, 
"I'm scared of what she will say"
but he is scared of what she will say.
"Finish that – and then go home and tell her!"
“Those cakes won’t help you!   You have to tell her!” Brenda instructs him, as he bites into another cake, “Finish that – and then go home and tell her!”
Hywel looks at . . . 
Hywel is looking at Anita’s promotional video, 
. . . Anita's video
which has already appeared on the app, but then he has a visit from Brynmor, who is not very happy.   
"I'm disappointed about the item on Brynawelon"
“I don’t have to remind you that I’m disappointed about the item on Brynawelon,” he begins, 
"I warned her not to broadcast it"
and Hywel points out that he did warn Anita not to broadcast it.
"Now the horse has bolted!"
Brynmor goes on, “She didn’t listen – and now the horse has bolted!   You promised me, Hywel – you gave me your word!”   
"It was out of my control, Brynmor"
Hywel makes the excuse that it was out of his control, but is informed, “If you can’t control your staff, how do you intend to influence the council?   
"'The Brothers' are not happy"
‘The Brothers’ are not happy – friends of mine, in very high places, who were willing to sign.   It will be hard to get the ten signatures you need now – you didn't keep your side of the bargain, Hywel. ”   
"You're not your father's son, after all!"
As Brynmor gets up from his chair, he adds, You’re not your father’s son, after all!” 
Hywel emphasises that he is not going to withdraw his name;  
"You'll need a lot of luck, without support from 'The Brothers'!"
Brynmor sneers, “Good luck to you – you’ll need it to win that seat without support from ‘The Brothers’!”   He leaves the house, 
Hywel is hatching a plan
and Hywel picks up his phone;  he appears to have an idea.
Geraint now appears to be the permanent barman
Geraint serves Anita in the Deri, and Mathew notices that Sioned keeps on looking at her phone;  
"Forget about Dylan for two minutes, will you?"
“Forget about Dylan for two minutes, will you?” he groans, 
They want to go to a new bar
then Tesni and Luned come in, telling Mathew that a new bar has opened, offering half price drinks.
He is encouraged to come with them, as Guto is also coming, but when Mathew invites her to join them, 
"I don't want to be a gooseberry"
Sioned does not want to be a gooseberry.   
They grudgingly agree
Both the girls agree, rather unconvincingly, that Sioned is welcome to come.
"Has there been any response?"
Elsewhere in the Deri, Siôn says that Tesni and Luned did very well this afternoon, and Anita wonders if there has been any response.    
Siôn shows her . . .
When he checks his phone, he discovers a disparaging comment, which Anita finds quite shocking.
. . . so Anita goes to remonstrate with Tesni and Luned
She goes over to the two girls at the bar, demanding, “What are you going to do about this slander?” and Siôn explains that people have written terrible things about Anita, which cannot be allowed to stay there.   Luned checks, and finds that the comments have only just appeared;  they have not seen anything like that before.
"You have a responsibility not to allow personal attacks"
“You have a responsibility not to allow personal attacks,” Siôn reminds them, 
They try to make amendments
and they set about making the necessary deletions.
Jim sees Eileen in the Hight Street . . .
When Jim emerges from the door of number 10, he sees Eileen further along the street with Huwi’s pram 
. . . so keeps out of the way
and tries to hide.
As everything is half-price, they order doubles
When the four of them arrive at the new bar, Tesni and Luned order doubles, as they are half-price;  
More unsavoury (and illegible) comments have appeared
they find that there have been more unpleasant comments appearing on the app, and wonder who is writing them.   “Well, they certainly don’t like Anita!” says Luned.   
Guto will have Coke
Guto finally arrives and says he will have Coke;  Sioned does not fancy having a drinking session either, 
Perhaps I'm growing up"
and he remarks, “That doesn’t sound like you.”   She explains that perhaps she is growing up.
"He can't go without his sunglasses"
At Penrhewl, Brenda appears, and tells Eileen, “He can’t go without his sunglasses!”   
"I thought he was with you, scoffing Bara Brith!"
This puzzles Eileen, who assumed that Jim was with her, scoffing Bara Brith.
"Jim has gone to New Zealand . . ."
Brenda continues, “I think you’d better sit down – I’d say that Jim has gone to New Zealand – 
". . . without his sunglasses"
“without his sunglasses!”   
"Don't talk nonsense, Brenda!"
Eileen tells her not to talk nonsense, but she explains, “He’s gone to his cousin’s – he said he bought the tickets last week.”
“Without telling me?” Eileen rages, and fetches her phone;  

"His cousin is ill"
Brenda tries to calm her by suggesting that his cousin is ill, and Jim wanted to get over there as quickly as possible.   He was supposed to have come to tell Eileen.
"I want you to leave now, Brenda"
She wants Brenda to leave now, and she does so, as Eileen demands, “Answer your phone, Jim!”
"You won't win the election if you avoid social media"
Siôn warns Anita that she will not win the election if she avoids social media;  “It hasn’t done my campaign any good so far, has it?” she points out.   He insists that if she wants to represent people, unfortunately she makes herself a target.   
"Thank you for that item on Brynawelon"
Then Lisa comes in, and she thanks Anita for the item on Brynawelon;  they are being watched by Hywel, 
"What you said needed to be broadcast!"
so Anita makes a point of remarking, “What you said was very important, and the item was important – what you said needed to be broadcast!”
"I haven't seen you for weeks"
Lisa walks over to Hywel, and comments, “I haven’t seen you for weeks!   What’s the story with your face?   
"Fighting over a woman, were you?"
“Fighting over a woman, were you?   I hear you’re going to stand against Anita on the council.”
"Yes, after saying he wouldn't stand!"
Anita interrupts, “Yes, he is, after saying he wouldn’t.”   
"This ward deserves a decent councillor"
Hywel maintains that this ward deserves a decent councillor.   
"Aren't you going to offer me a drink?"
Lisa wonders if Hywel is going to offer her a drink.
The girls keep a careful eye on the app
Tesni and Luned are constantly checking the app to see if any more comments have appeared;  Luned has heard quite enough about Anita for one day.   The two girls persuade Mathew to have some tequila, and they all three go to the bar.
"You're quite different to Tesni, aren't you?"
“You’re quite different to Tesni, aren’t you?” Sioned says to Guto, 
"I'm a twin as well"
but he replies that they understand each other, probably because they are twins.   “I’m a twin as well – my brother John died when we were babies.   I don’t remember him – 
Luned is 'keeping tabs' on Sioned 
“I always feel there’s something missing.   I often wonder what sort of person he would have been – he’d be more sensible than me – like you.”
"What are you two whispering about?"
Luned has been anxiously watching their conversation, and asks, “What are you two whispering about?”   
Sioned sees something rather unsettling
When the others return from the bar, Sioned notices someone with red hair, and is immediately concerned.
Lisa is complimenting Hywel – I wonder why
In the Deri, Lisa is chatting to Hywel;  “You’ve become more respectable – I can see you as a councillor – apart from the bruise!”   
"Are you the same old Lisa?"
He dismisses it as accident, and enquires whether she is the same old Lisa;  he cannot work her out at all, wondering what is her story.
"You could begin with when you stole my car"
“You could begin with when you stole my car,” he suggests, but she stresses that a lot of water has flowed under the bridge since then.
"That meal you offered me last time?"
“You know that meal you offered me last time?   Does the offer still stand?” she asks;  she admits that perhaps she was rather rash before, but it is up to him.   
"Phone me, when you've stopped sulking"
She writes down her phone number, remarking, “Phone me, when you’ve stopped sulking.”
Anita keeps him under surveillance
When she has gone, Hywel gets out his phone, and, after looking across at Anita, begins to type something;  she is watching intently, and suspects that he is the offender.   
"I bet something appears"
“I bet something appears,” she tells Siôn, and sure enough, Siôn’s phone sounds.
Sure enough, it does
Another comment has appeared, 
"I think you may be right, Anita"
and he believes that she is right.
"I'm going straight to the top with this!"
“I’m not going to say anything yet – I’m going to gather evidence first – and then I’m going straight to the top with this!” Anita declares, “Then he’ll regret it!”
In the kitchen at Penrhewl . . .
In the kitchen at Penrhewl, 
. . . Eileen finds there is a text from Jim . . .
Eileen receives a text from Jim, 
. . . but this is all it says . . .
 which simply reads, “Sorry.”   
. . . and she is reduced to tears
She sinks into a chair, and is in tears.
Sioned is keeping a careful eye on this girl
At the half-price bar, Sioned is keeping a careful eye on the redhead, 
"Slow down, Tes!"
while Tesni and Luned are overdoing it with the alcohol.   Mathew urges them to slow down, 
"Come and dance, Guto!"
but the inebriated girls now want to dance.   Sioned says that Guto does not want to dance, 
"You're only here because we feel sorry for you!"
but Luned angrily exclaims, “Who asked you?   You’re only here because we feel sorry for you!   Leave my boyfriend alone!”
"It's time I left"
Sioned thinks that it is time she left, 
Sioned sees the redhead make a phone call
but then sees the redhead making a phone call, and when her phone rings, 
Sioned's phone rings, and in a panic she grabs Guto's arm
she grasps Guto’s arm, in a panic.   
Panic over – it is only Dylan
However, the caller is only Dylan.
Luned takes violent exception to what she saw
Luned has been watching them, and rushes across, demanding, “What do you think you’re doing?” throwing Sioned’s drink in her face.   
This causes some consternation amongst the other drinkers, 
No, it is not Kirsty
and when the girl with the red hair turns to laugh at her, Sioned is relieved to see that it is not Kirsty.   
Sioned feels a proper idiot
Nevertheless, she does feel somewhat of an idiot.