11 September 2019 (2nd)

Rhys does not know what to think . . .
Rhys sits on the sofa at Cysgod y Glyn, looking very confused and wondering what to do;  his phone sounds, and he finds it is a text from Ffion;   
. . . and knowing that Ffion is on her way does not help matters
“Home in an hour.   Look forward to seeing you.”   This does not make him feel any better.
Britt has to cover for Garry in the Deri
Britt is preparing to work a shift at the Deri, to cover for Garry;  when Colin comes in, she tells him that last night’s leftovers are in the fridge if he wants some lunch.   He concludes that again it will be lunch for one, 
"We haven't seen each other all this week"
and she complains, “We haven’t seen each other all this week, have we?   
"Why don't we have dinner at Tapas – and then a cosy evening?"
“But I’m not working tonight, so why don’t we have an early dinner at Tapas – and then a cosy evening on the sofa?”
"I'd really enjoy that, Britt!"
He says that he would really enjoy that, so they agree to meet at Tapas about five, then Britt has to rush off, or she will be late.   
He believes that things are looking up
Colin looks somewhat encouraged.
"They can work miracles in these recording studios"
At number 10, Dylan is listening to the results of Jaclyn’s recording session;  “That’s great – they can work miracles in these studios, can’t they?” he says, and she thinks she is pleased with her performance.
"I've always said she has a lovely voice!"
Gerwyn is sitting silently at the table, then points out that he has always said Jaclyn has a lovely voice.   
"What's stopping you turning it into hard cash?"
Dylan continues, “What next – that’s the thing?   You can’t stop there – you obviously enjoy it – what’s stopping you turning fun into hard cash?”   
Gerwyn is becoming concerned as Dylan suggests she should start with some local gigs, 
"No-one would turn up, Dyl"
but Jaclyn predicts that no-one would turn up, and even if he and Gerwyn did, she would not sing for just two people.   “I just  don’t want you to regret it – you’ve got talent!” Dylan insists, “And it’s being wasted on him!”
Jaclyn reassures Gerwyn 
Gerwyn takes exception to this, maintaining that he appreciates everything she does, so she kisses him.
Izzy looks out of the kitchen window, and when she sees Eifion coming, 
Izzy gets out a bottle and two glasses
she gets out a bottle of wine and two glasses.   After embracing him, 
"We can pretend we're in Venice"
she says that they are not working this afternoon, so they can pretend they are in Venice.
"Good boy, Gareth!"
His phone sounds, and he finds it is a message from Gareth;  he tells Izzy, “I’ve been trying to get a ticket to this comedy for ages, and Gareth’s got one for me!   The only thing is – it’s tonight – do you mind?”   
"You go, Eifion"
She says she has no objections and encourages him to go.
She ask him who Gareth is, and he replies, “I used to play rugby with him, but he joined another club, so don’t tell Dai I’m going!   
"With Gareth, who knows what could happen!"
“With Gareth, who knows what could happen!”
"Is Gareth . . .?"
When they sit down on the sofa, Izzy enquires, “Is Gareth . . . erm?”   
"He's not gay – you have nothing to worry about"
Eifion confirms that he is not gay, and she has nothing to worry about;  
She does not look convinced
he gives her a reassuring hug, but she still harbours some reservations.
Val is doing the washing-up when she hears Ffion’s voice;  
"Val – what are you doing here?'
she is very surprised to find Val there, and wonders why.   
A not-very-enthusiastic embrace from Ffion 
They hug, and Ffion wants to know if something has happened;  “I’m allowed to see my daughter and granddaughter, aren’t I?” demands Val.
"Where's Rhys?"
As Ffion asks, “Where’s Rhys?” 
Rhys does not look entirely comfortable
he appears behind her, looking rather solemn.   
"Why didn't you say she was here?"
“Why didn’t you say she was here?” Ffion whispers, tersely.
“As someone who usually has terrible taste in men, you’ve done very well!” comments Val, 
"We've been getting on great, haven't we?"
“We’ve been getting on great, haven’t we?”   
Ffion knows something is not right here
When she hears that Val has been in Cwmderi since Monday, Ffion begins to smell a rat.
Seeing Rhys looking so concerned, she wants to know what is wrong;  “Is Arwen all right?”   
"I found bottles of vodka – and I didn't drink them"
He hesitantly reveals that he found bottles of vodka while she was away, and he knows that he did not drink them.   
"And you think I did?"
“And you think I did?” she snarls, disbelievingly;  he points out that they are the only two who live there.   
Ffion cannot believe this
Ffion is temporarily speechless.
"Colin said she was fantastic at the party"
In the Deri, Dylan is praising Jaclyn’s voice, and Britt replies, “Colin said she was fantastic doing the karaoke at her party!”   He is thinking of organising a gig for her at Tapas, once things settle down, but they are too busy for a few weeks.
"Everyone fancied her"
“She had quite a fan base at home – everyone fancied her,” he goes on, and when Gerwyn comes in, Dylan jokes, “But for some reason, despite the number of men running after her, 
"Jacs settled for this lanky mechanic!"
“Jacs settled for this lanky mechanic!”
"I want to let Garry know the garage phone line is down"
Gerwyn wants to know if Garry is there, as the garage phone line is down again, so Britt will let him know.   
"Jacs might find an upgrade!"
Dylan continues, “Now that she’s thinking of gigging again, she might find an upgrade!” 
This does not please Gerwyn
a remark which Gerwyn does not appreciate.
"How many times do I have to say it?"
“How many times do I have to say it?   I’m not drinking!” emphasises Ffion, “I have no idea where those came from!”   
"I've heard that before!"
Val says she has heard that before, and Ffion rages, “When?   Because you’ve never been there for me in the past!   
"What are you doing here anyway?"
“And what are you doing here anyway?   You never come to see us!”
"Who knows how long you could have hidden this?"
Val maintains that it is fortunate she did come down;  “Or who knows how long you could have hidden this?”
"What a coincidence!"
Ffion points out that it is quite a coincidence that the bottles are found when she turns up;  “It’s her – she put them there!   You don’t want me to be happy – you never have!”   Rhys is still under the impression that Val is worried about her, 
"She's never cared about me!"
but Ffion roars, “She’s not – she’s never cared about me – Nesta is everything to her!”
Val protests that she cannot be there all the time, and Ffion insists, “You can’t be here now – or I will start drinking!   
"I never want to see you again!"
“Get out!   I don’t need your help!”   She roughly bundles Val out of the flat, screaming, “I never want to see you again!”   
"You have to believe me, Rhys!"
Then, returning to Rhys, she pleads, “You have to believe me!”
"Snogging here while Mam is out!"
At Llwyncelyn, Izzy says she feels like a schoolgirl, snogging here while Mam is out;  “Oh – so I’m not the first guy you’ve sneaked in here then?” laughs Eifion.  Then he presumes that her mother will be home soon, 
"She won't be back for hours"
but Izzy says that she is going out after school, and will not be back for hours.
“I’d better go if I want to go to this gig,” he tells her;  
"We don't get the house to ourselves very often"
she argues that they do not have the house to themselves very often.   “Gareth has kept the ticket for me now,” he adds, and she suggests that she could come with him.
"You don't trust me, do you?"
“You don’t trust me, do you?” he says, “This won’t work if you’re like this every time I go out.   You don’t want to finish things, do you?”   
"If you want to sleep with men, I want to know!"
She does not want herself to to become one of those paranoid women who sit at home on tenterhooks either;  taking a deep breath, she informs him, “If you want to sleep with men, I want to know!   I’d rather give my permission, than you do it behind my back.”
Val goes to see Hywel . . .
Val knocks on the door of Hywel’s house, and when he opens it, 
. . . reporting that her work is done
optimistically announces, “My work is done!”   
"You'd better come in, then"
He invites her in.
"It doesn't mean I'm greedy and have no control"
“Have I done something to make you think you’re not enough for me?” asks Eifion, “The fact that I’m bisexual doesn’t mean I’m greedy and have no control.”
"Remember what happened with Cadno"
Izzy reminds him of what happened with Cadno, but he maintains that was completely different.
“You had to hide this part of your life for years, and treat it like some sort of dirty secret,” Izzy goes on, “Going out and being with a man is something so new to you – and I don’t want to take it away from you.   
"Does it matter what people think?"
“The more I think about it, the more it makes sense – does it matter what people think?   Haven’t you wasted enough of your life worrying about that?   
"I want us to understand each other's needs"
“I want us to understand each other, and understand each other’s needs – I’ve never been one to do the same as everyone else.”
"You're amazing, Izzy!"
Eifion describes her as amazing, and she instructs him to go to this gig and enjoy himself.
Colin sits alone at Tapas
At Tapas, Colin is sitting disconsolately at a table and looking at his watch;  Sara and Jaclyn feel sorry for him.   
They discuss what their husbands would have done
“Ger would have eaten the bread and the olives before I arrived,” observes Jaclyn, and Sara predicts that Jason would have been on his second bottle of wine  by now.   They go over to keep him company.
"Your date's a bit late, is she?"
“Your date’s a bit late, is she?” Jaclyn enquires, and Colin is beginning to think that he has been stood up.   
They sit down with him
They both sit down at the table with him.
"The thought of you believing that lying cow!"
Ffion growls, “The thought of you believing that lying cow makes me sick!   You haven’t seen me when I drink – I lose all control – if I was drinking, you would have noticed!”   
"But Val said I might not want to notice"
Rhys replies that Val told him he might not have wanted to notice.
"You and Arwen are everything to me!"
Ffion pleads, “She has no idea about my life – please try to understand – you and Arwen are everything to me!”   He says he wants to believe her, but points out what Val said.
"Stop being so stupid, Rhys!"
“Why do you listen to everything she says?” Ffion shouts, “Stop being so stupid – that is what you are, if you won’t even consider the possibility that she did this on purpose!”
"Mam"
Arwen comes in, wanting her mother, 
"Why don't we go and see Grandad Siôn?"
and Rhys says he will take her to go and see Grandad Siôn.   They leave Ffion in tears.
"I think I'd better go now"
As Britt still has not arrived, Colin thinks that he had better go;  
"I'll put the food in a doggy bag for you!"
Jaclyn will put the food in a doggy bag for him, and will give him a discount.   
"I've left my wallet somewhere"
“Do you know what?   I can’t believe this – I’ve left my wallet somewhere.   Can I pay later?” he apologises.    
"Go and see the boss, Colin"
Sara advises him to see the boss.
"I've got a bit off a problem – I can't pay"
He knocks on the office door and says he is sorry for interrupting Dylan;  “I’ve got bit of a problem – I can’t pay – or rather, I can’t pay now!   I’ve lost my wallet.”   
"Are you all right – you seem rather stressed?"
Dylan confirms that it will not be a problem, and senses that all is not well with Colin;  he seems rather stressed.
"I didn't want to eat without Britt"
“I didn’t have much food – I didn’t want to eat without Britt,” he replies, “I expect she’s been held up at work – 
"Things haven't been quite right for a while"
“things haven’t been quite right between us for a while, with her illness and everything.”   Then he stops himself, simply promising, “I’ll bring the money over.”   
"If you're a guy for a massage . . ."
Dylan assures him that there is no rush, and does not know if he is a guy for massages;  
"I'm sure they'll listen if you've got problems"
he hands Colin a card.   “These people don’t just do massages, but all sorts of things – and I’m sure they’ll listen if you’ve got problems.   It’s a new place in Carmarthen – my friend says it’s good for therapy.”
Colin is not sure about that sort of thing, but is told to hold on to the card in case he changes his mind.
Ffion conducts a comprehensive search
Ffion is frantically searching through Val’s case, looking for any evidence;  
"I'm trying to prove this is her fault"
she tells Rhys, “I’m trying to find something to prove to you that this is her fault – seeing that my word is not enough!”   She is upset that she has not found anything, and does not know what else she can do.
Rhys discovers the key with its distinctive fob
Then Rhys notices a key with a fob bearing the letter ‘R’;  “Where did this come from?” he demands, and is told that was in Val’s handbag.   “Are you sure?   
"It's my old key to Dad's house!"
“It’s a key to Dad’s house – my old one!”   
They realise there is a connection here
They both realise what this means.
Izzy watches a programme about Venice . . .
Izzy is watching a programme about Venice on the television and feeling rather uneasy;  she is about to send a text to Eifion, hoping that he is enjoying himself, 
. . . and decides not to send Eifion a text
but then deletes it.
Eifion has come back
She is surprised by a knock at the door, and finds that Eifion has returned;  “I know what you said this afternoon, and I really appreciate it, 
"I want to be with you tonight"
“but I just want to be with you tonight,” he says.   They embrace.
Colin looks intently at the card
In the chip shop flat, Colin is looking at the card, but puts it in his pocket when Britt comes back, full of apologies for this evening;  
"When I got to Tapas, Jaclyn said you'd gone"
“Garry was late, and then a big food order came in.   By the time I got to Tapas, Jaclyn said you had gone.”
"We'll do it another time, Britt"
He tells her to forget about it, and they will do it another time;  she says she tried to phone him, but he reminds her that his phone is broken.   
"I think I've overdone it today"
She moans that she will not be doing another shift wearing those shoes;  “I’m tired – I think I’ve overdone it today, to be honest.”
"I've got the food in a doggy bag"
He informs her he has food from Tapas in a doggy bag, which they can eat together;  but then she decides that she ought to have an early night, if he does not mind.   
Again he looks at the card
When she has gone, he looks again at the card.
These two have been 'at it' again . . .
After their latest assignation, Val tells Hywel, as they come downstairs, “I’d better go back to the lions’ den to fetch my stuff.”   He wonders if she has to go now, gleefully reminding her that Rhys and Ffion have a lot of arguing to do.
. . . but apparently have not finished yet
She leads him to the sofa, and just as they are getting down to some more serious business, Rhys and Ffion walk in.   
"So you went for the mother instead – is that it?"
“So you couldn’t get the daughter, so you went for the mother – is that it?” growls Rhys.
"You have no right to be here!"
As he hastily does up his shirt, his father snarls, “You have no right to be in here!”
Ffion exclaims, “I was right – you just don’t want me to be happy!”   
Val points out, “You’re old enough to be his mother!   You’re disgusting!”
"I hope you'll be very happy together!"
“Well I hope you’ll be very happy together!” Ffion shouts at her, and Rhys throws the key at his father.
Val and Hywel look at each other
Hywel and Val look at each other, then Hywel chases after Rhys.   
"Don't worry – I know what she's like!"
As they walk across the road, Rhys is very sorry that he doubted Ffion, but she answers, “Don’t worry – I know what she’s like!”
"She might not be drinking now – but she will!"
From the front door of his house, Hywel bellows, “She might not be drinking now - but she will!”   
"She doesn't want you – she'll never want you!"
Rhys turns and replies, “She doesn’t want you – she’ll never want you!   Just deal with it!”
"A pathetic alcoholic who goes from man to man!"
Hywel is approaching them, and rages, for everyone to hear, “Why would I want her?   A pathetic alcoholic who goes from man to man!”   
"No, Rhys – he's not worth it!"
This infuriates Rhys, and Ffion tries to restrain him, 
"Don't run to me when she stinks of vodka!"
but his father’s next comment is, “Listen to her like a good boy – but don’t run to me when she she stinks of vodka – and sleeps with anyone for another drink!”
Rhys is about to deliver the fateful blow . . .
Rhys had had more than enough of this, walks up to his father and delivers a very powerful punch to his father’s face, 
. . . which knocks Hywel for six
which sends Hywel reeling, having to hold on to a lamp post to stop himself falling.
John Post finds it quite amusing
Ffion takes Rhys by the arm and leads him home, while we see that several witnesses have been watching, including John Post by Apêl Maenan, 
Several people have witnessed this spectacle
and a group further down the High Street.