24 September 2019

Gwern is eating his breakfast
Gwern is just finishing his breakfast, and his mother checks that he put a book into his bag;  
"I can't believe you're going up next year!"
“An important day today – your transition to the big school – I can’t believe you’re going up next year,” says Gwyneth, 
"Thanks, Mam!"
“I’ve put a slice of pizza in your lunch box as a treat,” for which Gwern is very grateful.
She sends him to clean his teeth, and then her phone sounds;  
Someone has a bone to pick with Gwyneth 
“More business already?” she says, enthusiastically, but the voice on the other end of the phone has a bone to pick with her.
"Baking powder in my drugs!"
“You know full well what this is about,” Jessie snarls, but Gwyneth pleads ignorance;  “I’ve done tests on the drugs you’ve been supplying – there was baking powder in it!”
"It's nothing to do with me!"
“If there was, it’s nothing to do with me!” insists Gwyneth, but Jessie knows that it was not any of her kids who did it.
"Now it's time I had my share – about £2,000!"
“You’ve been making a profit out of this – and now it’s time that I had my share!” Jessie informs her, “It works out at about £2,000, I’d say.”   Gwyneth continues her allegation that it is nothing to do with her, 
"I'm not paying you a penny!"
and she is not paying a penny.  
"I want my money, Gwyneth!"

 Turning menacing, Jessie warns her, “I want my money, Gwyneth!” and terminates the call, which leaves Gwyneth in a very troubled state.
She exchanges her red hair . . .
Meanwhile, Jessie, who is sitting in her car, pulls back her red hair
. . . for black
and dons a black wig, which is much less noticeable.
"Tulip – that's not even a name!"
In the Deri, Dani tells Garry, “I like ‘Tulip’,” but he maintains that is not even a name;  “It is – my friend has called her daughter Tulip,” she replies.   Garry does not care who names their child ‘Tulip’, and is quite adamant that no child of his will have a name like that.
Then she suggests ‘Lleuad’, which she maintains goes with ‘Seren’, 
"You're being silly now, Dan!"
but he snarls, “You’re being silly now – you can’t just make names up!”   She argues that Kim Kardashian does, 
He is about to give her a bit of his mind
and he is about get into an argument with her when Gwyneth arrives.
"Gwern wants to go on a school skiing trip"
She comes up with the story, “Gwern says he wants to go on a skiing trip with the school,” 
"Yeah – and you want cash!"
and Dani can see where this is heading – she wants cash.   Gwyneth prefers to call it, “A contribution to the costs.”
Dani changes the subject and advises her that they have another baby on the way, 
"We have to be fair to Gwern as well, don't we?"
but Gwyneth points out, “We have to be fair to Gwern as well, don’t we?” revealing that the cost is £2,000, 
"£2,000 – that's ridiculous!"
which Danny considers to be excessive.
"Could you pay the £2,000 up front, Garry?"
Gwyneth asks Garry if he would be willing to pay the £2,000 up front, then she will repay him when she can;  “Gwern will lose out otherwise,” she explains, 
"It has to be paid today"
then adds that the money has to be paid today, giving the excuse that Gwern did not mention it until the last minute, and it needs to be paid by tomorrow.   
"I'll let you know when I've transferred it"
He agrees that he will transfer the money to her, and let her know when it has been done.   She says that Gwern will be thrilled.
Jessie is watching Gwern
Gwern is out in the playground at school, before lessons begin, and Jessie, in what looks like a nurse’s uniform and with her black hair, comes in through the gate.   
"Are you Gwern Harley Jones?"
She shouts to him, and asks, “Are you Gwern Harley Jones?   There’s nothing to worry about, but your mother has had a fall on the road in Cwmderi.   
He is told his mother has had an accident
“It happened after you came to school – I’m a nurse at the hospital where she is, 
"Mam wanted me to come and get you"
“so I told Mam I would come and get you, and look after you until she’s ready to come home.”
"I can't come now –I'm at school!"
“I can’t come now – I’m at school!” Gwern tells her, but is told that his mother will phone them, and that she was keen that he came with her.
"Not everyone gets to leave school in the morning!"
“Not everyone gets to leave school in the morning like this!” she encourages him, 
Off they go together
and he finally agrees to go with her.
Ffion welcomes the children
The rest of the class file into Ffion’s room and she welcomes them to the comprehensive campus;  “Some of you may not have been here before, 
"I hope we're going to have a good day"
“but I hope we are going to have a good day.   
"Where's Gwern?   I saw him earlier"
“Where’s Gwern – I saw him in the yard earlier,” 
Ffion senses something is wrong here
and she thinks it strange that no-one knows where he is.
They walk out of the school
As they approach her car just outside the school, Jessie tells Gwern that she will phone his mother now and check how she is.   
Gwyneth hears her phone ringing
Gwyneth hears the phone ringing and rushes to answer it;  Jessie’s voice says, “Hiya – how are you now?   That’s good – your leg will be as good as new before long.”   
"Look, I've got the money!"
Gwyneth wonders what she is talking about, and is told, “You lie back now, Gwyn – everything is under control.”   She protests that she has the £2,000, but Jessie goes on, “It’s too late for that now – you’ve fallen – 
"The important thing is that Gwern is all right"
“but the important thing is that Gwern is all right.   I’ve got a console in the house – he can play on that.”
"Hiya, Mam!"
She gets Gwern to say, “Hiya!” to his Mam, and adds that she should ring the school to say he will not be coming back today.   
Gwyneth is panic-stricken
By this time, Gwyneth is in a state of utter panic, and assures Jessie that she has the money, but is told to get some rest, 
The call is terminated
and the call is terminated.   
Gwern gets into Jessie's car . . .
Gwern gets into the car, but before Jessie does so, 
. . . and she disposes of the SIM card from her phone
she removes the SIM card from her phone and throws it away.
Now she cannot contact Jessie's phone . . .
Gwyneth tries to call her back, but understandably is unable to do so;  she is in a state of extreme panic 
. . . and is in a state of extreme consternation
and sobs, clutching a photo of Gwern to her chest.   
Now there is a call from Gaynor . . .
Then her phone sounds again, and she finds that it is Gaynor who is calling;  
. . . which Gwyneth will not answer
she does not answer.
"I shall have to go and see Gwyneth"
At the school, Gaynor reports that Gwyneth is not answering her phone, and the police are on their way;  she leaves Ffion to speak to them, while she heads for Gwyneth’s house.   
"He doesn't usually break the rules"
“He doesn’t usually break the rules, and he knows not to leave the school grounds,” Gaynor frets, 
"Something must be worrying him"
and Ffion says that something must be worrying him.
"Please bring him home!"
Gwyneth receives another phone call from Jessie, and wants to know if Gwern is all right, pleading with her to bring him home.   
"Gwern's staying here with me – as a guarantee"
“No, Gwern’s staying here with me – as a guarantee,” is the reply.   
He is engrossed in the computer game
At that moment he is playing with a computer game, 
"I have no choice but to teach you a lesson!"
and Jessie continues, “As a guarantee that you’ll never mess with my business ever again.   I have no choice but to teach you a lesson!”
"I've learned my lesson!"
Gwyneth whines that she has learned her lesson;  “You admit it now, do you?” Jessie smirks, 
"I'm just desperate to have Gwern home!"
but Gwyneth is just desperate to have her son home.   
"He's happy here with me – aren't you, Gwern?"
“He’s happy here with me – aren’t you, Gwern?    You’ll get him back – but it’s going to cost you £10,000!   They found someone in Swansea Marina last week – 
"I'd hate to see something like that happen to Gwern!"
“I’d hate to see something like that happen to Gwern!   Cash, by the end of the day – and you’ll get your son back in one piece – if you’re lucky!”
Gwern is busy, shooting down the enemy
Gwern is oblivious to all this, as he shoots down the enemy on the screen.
Gwyneth is utterly desolate
Gwyneth is still sitting at the bottom of the stairs, in a state of shock, when there is a knock on the door;  
Gaynor tells her not to worry
she finds that it is Gaynor, and advises her that Gwern is upstairs in bed.   
"He came home with a bad stomach"
“He came home about an hour ago – I was just about to phone you.   I’ve been taking care of him – he says he has a bad stomach.”
Gaynor says that they had to phone the police, but is assured that he is safe;  she will want a word with him, as it is not acceptable for pupils to leave the school grounds without permission.
"I know he did wrong, but he's asleep now"
Gwyneth acknowledges that what he did was wrong, but points out that he is ill, and is now asleep, 
"I shall want to see him in the morning"
so Gaynor will want to see him in the morning.
Gwyneth has a lot of money-raising to do
As soon as Gaynor has gone, Gwyneth is desperate to work out how to raise the necessary money;  
Gaynor knows something is wrong
outside, Gaynor feels that there is something wrong here.
"Is Mam picking me up?"
Gwern asks if his mother has phoned back;  “Is she picking me up?” 
"She's not sure yet"
but Jessie tells him that she is not sure yet, and he returns to his game; 
Jessie take a photo of Gwern
she takes a photo of him on her phone.   
"What?   More 'cool' than Lleuad?"
Dani informs Garry that there are some other cool names online;  “What?   More cool than Lleuad?” he demands, and the next one she comes up with is ‘Lilwen’, arguing that ‘Seren’ and ‘Lilwen’ would sound good.   
"What's wrong with Mari or Beth?"
“What is wrong with ‘Mari’ or ‘Beth’?” he asks.
Gaynor comes in for a cup of coffee before going to a meeting;  
"Gwern's home from school with a bad stomach"
“I’m not sure if Gwyneth has talked to you, but Gwern’s home from school with a bad stomach,” she says, “The problem is, he just left school without telling anyone – is he worried about something?”
"He was looking forward to the school skiing trip"
Garry thought he was happy enough, and looking forward to going on the skiing trip with the school;  
"Year six are not going"
Gaynor points out that year six are not going – only the older ones.   He says that he must have misunderstood, 
"I everything all right at home with Gwyneth?"
but Gaynor is concerned that everything is all right at home with Gwyneth.
"I promise you – this won't happen again!"
He agrees that he will go and have a word with Gwyneth, to see what’s what;  “I can promise you one thing – this won’t happen again!”   
"I've got to go to the garage, Dan"
Then he announces to Dani that he has to go to the garage to sort something out, and instructs her to get Gaynor a coffee.
Gwyneth is looking for sources of funds . . .
Gwyneth puts on her jacket and rifles through the kitchen drawers, finding various sources of money, including her purse, a tin, 
. . . and appears to have multiple credit cards
and several credit cards.   
"Where's Gwern?
As she hurries out of the house, she sees Garry coming towards her;  he asks where she is off to.    “Gaynor said Gwern was ill,” he begins, “Where is he?   Upstairs?”   
"He's in bed – and you're going out?"
She confirms that he is, but Garry goes on, “And you’re going out?”   
"I want to talk about the skiing trip"
He marches into the house, informing Gwyneth, “I want to talk about the skiing trip – children Gwern’s age aren’t allowed to go!   
"Why do you want my money?"
“Why do you want my money?”
The photo which Jessie took earlier
She is temporarily lost for words, but then a text alert sounds on her phone;  there is a photo of Gwern, with the words, “He’s happy – for now.”
Garry learns the truth at last
Garry seizes the phone, and she admits, “They’ve taken Gwern!   I owe this woman money – they’ve taken Gwern and they want £10,000!”
"I've made a mistake – I'm so sorry!"
Garry looks very stern and demands where he is;  “I don’t know – I’ve made a mistake – I’m so sorry!” Gwyneth wails.   Garry wants to know who are these people who have taken him, 
"They're drug dealers!"
and she replies, “Drug dealers!”
The phone sounds again, and Garry turns on the loudspeaker;  
The computer game can be heard in the background
they hear in the background the sounds of Gwern playing the computer game, 
"How are you getting on collecting the ten grand?"
and Jessie asks, “How are you getting on collecting the ten grand, Gwyneth?”
"I need more time!"
She replies that she needs more time, but Jessie laughs, “I haven’t got any time, so you had better try harder – if you want your son back in one piece.   

"The photos show what will happen to Gwern . . ."
“Do you regret messing with that stuff now?   I thought you might.   Have you seen the photos, by the way?   Perhaps I haven’t sent them yet – they just show what will happen to Gwern if I don’t get my money by five!”
"I'll find out where he is!"
Jessie then sets about sending the photo, while Garry paces up and down;  “I don’t have time to mess around – I’m going to get my son!” he snarls, “I’ll find out where he is – I’ve got contacts!”
"The imprtant thing now is to find £10,000!"
Gwyneth wonders how he expects his contacts to know where Gwern is;  “The important thing to do now is to find £10,000!”   
"Don't take this out on me!"
He warns her not to take this out on him, but she protests that he is her son as well;  “I love him as much as you do!”
"That didn't stop you putting his life in danger, did it?"
“That didn’t stop you from putting his life in danger, did it?” Garry rages, holding up the photo of Gwern;  “The whole time Mark was accusing me, you were the dealer – 
"What's wrong with you?"
“what’s wrong with you?”
Brandon's gravestone
Another text arrives on Gwyneth’s phone – a photo of Brandon Monk’s gravestone.   “How did they know about Brandon?” she whines.   
"You have no idea, the kind of people we're dealing with!"
Garry sinks back in the chair, and growls, “You have no idea, have you?   The kind of people we’re dealing with here.   What’s this woman’s name?”   
"I only know her name is Jessie"
Gwyneth replies is that the only name she knows is Jessie;  she does not know her surname or who she works with.   
"I'm going to sort this out!"
Garry leaves the house,  stressing that he is going to sort this out, 
He marches down the street
and strides purposefully towards the Deri.