30 September 2019

"Dani has already taken him to school"
Gwyneth goes to the Deri flat to collect Gwern, but is told by Garry that Dani has already taken him to school.    “I was going to take him today!” she protests.
"I can't trust you with Gwern any more"
“I can’t trust you with Gwern any more – not after what happened!” he replies, “I still can’t believe you put my son in danger.”   
"I don't need a lecture, Garry!"
She points out that Gwern is also her son, and she does not need a lecture, as she is punishing herself enough already.
"If something happened to you as a result of this . . ."
“I want you to know that if something happened to you as a result of this, Gwern would be happy and safe with us here,” Garry emphasises, 
"You've told the police, haven't you?"
and she suspects that he has told the police.   “No – and I persuaded Dani not to, either,” he goes on, 
"If I were you, I'd disappear . . ."
“But if I were you, I’d disappear!”
“Run away, so the dealers can chase me?” demands Gwyneth, 
". . . as far as you can from Cwmderi"
but he explains that she should disappear – as far from Cwmderi as she can, and as quickly as she can.   
She looks horrified at the suggestion, 
Garry hands her an envelope . . .
as he takes an envelope from the shelf and hands it to her, telling her to open it.   
. . . containing an unbelievably large cheque
She finds inside a cheque for £20,000;  
She is told to start a new life somewhere else
she can hardly believe it.   “It’s enough for you to start a new life somewhere else – and you won’t have to pay maintenance or anything – Gwern will be my responsibility,” Garry tells her, 
"You're putting your life – and Gwern's – in danger!"
“Cwmderi isn’t safe for you any more.   You’re putting your life – and Gwern’s – in danger by staying.   Now, you have an opportunity here – perhaps the only opportunity you’ll get – you should take it!”
"You can't buy me, Garry!"
Gwyneth snarls, “You can’t buy me!” 
"Everything has a price"
and when he responds that everything has a price, she goes on, “Not Gwern and me!”   
"I want an answer soon"
He invites her to think about it, but he wants an answer soon;  she walks out of the room.
Kath comes hurrying round the corner . . .
Out in the street, Debbie is practising for the run, and comes to a halt outside the salon, waiting for Kath to catch her up;  
. . . and Ricky looks quite exhausted
then Ricky comes round the corner, looking quite exhausted.   
"I just feel weak"
He says that he feels weak, and his mother fears that she has been pushing him too hard.   
"We'll go over to the café, shall we?"
“We’ll go to the café now,” Kath suggests.
"Are you all right?"
Debbie sees Gwyneth approaching, looking grim, and asks if she is all right;  “Do I look all right?” is the angry reply, and they adjourn to number 9 to talk about things.
A slice of 'Ricky Road' coming up
In the café, Kath fetches Ricky a slice of ‘Ricky Road’ cake, which he named;  
Gwen serves the teas
Gwen brings over their tea, and Kath maintains that too much exercise is dangerous.   
"I started all right, but then felt weak"
He explains that he was feeling all right, but then started to feel weak;  
"I walked a lot of the way"
his grandmother praises him for running all the way, and reveals that she walked a lot of it.   
"You'll be fine for the race, Ricky"
She assures him that everything will be fine for the race on Wednesday.
"What did you expect?   Stealing a chunk of the profits?"
Gwyneth cannot believe it happened, but Debbie wonders what she expected;  “Did you really think Jessie wouldn’t find out you’d been stealing a chunk of the profits for yourself?”   
"You brought those people to Cwmderi!"
Gwyneth blames her for bringing those people to Cwmderi, 
"I wasn't stupid enough to steal from them!"
so Debbie points out, “I wasn’t stupid enough to try and steal from them – Gwern could have been killed!”
"You, of all people, should know how it feels"
Gwyneth is furious;  “I know – you, of all people, should know how bad it feels to see your child suffer because of something you’ve done!   
"What kind of mothers are we?"
“What kind of mothers are we, putting our children in danger?”   
Debbie considers that they have been lucky;  “But what would have happened if Garry hadn’t found the money to pay them?”   
"That's how much he's offering!"
Gwyneth produces the cheque which Garry gave her;  “That’s how much he’s offering me to disappear and start a life somewhere else!   That’s how much he wants to see the back of me and raise Gwern himself!”   
"You can't run away and leave your child behind!"
Debbie insists that she cannot run away and leave her child behind;  “Garry thinks it’s the only way to keep Gwern safe – and he may have a point,” is the answer.
"Who's the first person the pigs will talk to?"
Debbie is now very concerned;  “If you run away, who’s the first person the pigs will talk to?   Me!   And when Jesse finds out you’ve done a runner, she’ll knock on my door!”   
Gwyneth is adamant that she is not going anywhere;  
"I went through hell last week!"
“I went through hell last week, thinking I would never see him again – I’m not going, no matter how much Garry offers me!”   
"Garry won't be very happy!"
Debbie predicts that if she takes Gwern with her, Garry will not be very happy, so Gwyneth makes it crystal clear that she is not going anywhere.
"Prove it then – tear this up!"
“Prove it then!” Debbie invites her, “Tear it up!”   Gwyneth is reluctant to do that at the moment, and wants to think about it.   
"I'll tell them everything!"
“All right – but if you disappear and the pigs start sniffing around, I’ll tell them everything!” Debbie promises.   Again, Gwyneth stresses that she is not going anywhere.
"My turn to put the bins out, Iol"
At number 7, Tyler realises it is his turn to put the bins out, and leaves the laptop unattended to do so;  
Something catches Iolo's eye . . .
while he is out, Iolo has a crafty look at the laptop, 
. . . and he takes a closer look
and sees on the screen 
Tyler has applied for a course
that Tyler has been accepted for a course.
"My e-mails are private"
When Tyler returns because one of the bags has split, he objects to Iolo looking at his e-mail;  “My e-mails are private,” he points out.   
"I knew you were hiding something . . ."
Iolo knew that he was hiding something, but did not expect that it would be teaching English abroad.
"I should have told you"
Tyler admits that he should have told Iolo;  “I wanted to get the qualification before telling you.”   
Iolo wonders what would have happened then – and what is Tyler’s big plan;  
"From . . . Venezuela or somewhere?"
“Send a postcard to me and Greta from . . . Venezuela or somewhere?” he rages, but Tyler replies that he wants Iolo and Greta to accompany him.   
"You, me and Greta together"
“Just think about it – living somewhere different – you, me and Greta together.”   
"Without any sort of discussion!"
Iolo cannot believe he is talking about moving to another country with out any sort of discussion – or even mentioning the idea until now.   
"I'm going to work"
He announces he is going to work, and storms out of the house;  Tyler wants to have a chat about it later on.
Debbie tries to smile
At Maes-y-Deri, Debbie is looking very worried, but tries to put on a brave face when Kath and Ricky come home;  Ricky describes them as, “Hopalong Cassidy and the Sundance Kid.”   He says that he is all right, but Kath points out he was just trying too hard.
"You'll have to pace yourself on Wednesday"
Debbie says that he will have to pace himself on Wednesday, but he disappoints her when 
"I'm not going to run, Mam"
he reveals that he is not going to run – he does not feel strong enough, and cannot do it.   
"My body is not ready to run"=
“My body is not ready to run – so I’m not going to do it,” he says.
Kath warns Debbie not to hassle him;  his mother was looking forward to running with him, 
"Oh, great!"
so she will just have to make do with her mother-in-law instead, which does not please Debbie.
"Dani is taking him, and then going shopping"
Gwyneth is back at the Deri flat to collect Gwern’s swimming kit, but is informed that Dani is taking him to the lesson, and then they are going shopping;  
"Gwern has everything he needs here"
“He has everything he needs here.   
"Have you considered my offer?"
“Have you considered my offer?   If you have, you must take it now, before it’s too late.   You know it makes sense, don’t you?”
The ceremonial tearing-up of the cheque
As her reply, Gwyneth takes out the cheque and theatrically tears it into pieces before his eyes;  
"You're going to regret that!"
“You’re going to regret that!” he informs her, but she points out that £20,000 is nothing compared with what he is asking her to do.
"Double it – and I'll consider it!"
“Double it – and I’ll consider it!” she tell him, and walks out of the flat.
"Ricky will feel better by Wednesday"
Debbie is confident that Ricky will feel better by Wednesday, and will feel differently about it, but Kath reminds her that they cannot be sure of that;   “It’s not like Ricky to give up so easily – he must have lost his confidence.”   
Debbie dissolves into tears
Debbie begins to cry, and Kath warns her she must give him time.   “I feel so guilty!” Debbie sobs, 
"It's not your fault, is it?"
but is told that it is not her fault, and there is plenty that Ricky can do on the day of the race;  
Ricky is listening to this
as Ricky comes downstairs, Debbie announces her decision, “There isn’t going to be a race – not without Ricky.   
"I'm cancelling the race!"
“I’m cancelling it!   The whole point was to help Ricky – if he’s lost his confidence, I’ve failed!”
"Don't do that, Mam!"
He comes into the room and begs her not to cancel the race, as she has worked so hard;  “I’m sorry for letting you down.”   
"You're just being sensible"
Kath insists that he is not letting anyone down, but being sensible so that he does not do himself more harm.
Again he pleads, “Don’t cancel, Mam – it means so much to me that you organised all this for me!”   
Debbie is distraught and runs away
Debbie grabs her coat and rushes out of the front door.
Gwern shows off his new trainers
Outside the Deri, Gwern comes to show Garry his new white trainers, and is told that Garry would like a pair like that.   
"You're too old!"
“You’re too old!” Gwern replies, and says that he enjoyed his pizza.   “Can I go and show Mam now?” he asks.
"You Mam needs sometime to herself"
Garry tells him that his mother needs some time to herself;  “That’s why it’s a good thing that you’re happy with Dad in the Deri.”   Gwern wonders how long he has to stay there, and is told that he does not have to stay, but that is what is best at the moment.
"Because of what happened last week?"
“Because of what happened last week?” Gwern enquires, and is assured that he is safe with his family – Garry, Dani and Seren.   
Debbie finds this very concerning
Debbie is approaching at this moment, but when she hears them talking, turns and walks away.   
Garry wants to know, “Are you sure I’m too old for a pair like that?”
"Yes – you're too old!"
Gwern’s answer is an unequivocal, “Yes!”
"You've told Garry, haven't you?"
Debbie goes straight to number 9;  “You’ve told him, haven’t you?” she demands, “You’ve told Garry!”   Gwyneth replies that she has not said a  word, but Debbie does not believe her;  “He knows, Gwyneth!”
"He doesn't know anything!'
Gwyneth’s answer is, “He doesn’t know anything – and even if he did, he wouldn’t tell the police, and risk making Jessie more angry, not to mention putting his family and the salon at risk.   
"He's the last person to want the pigs to start asking questions"
“Think about it – Garry’s the last person who wants the pigs to start asking questions.”
"My head's all over the place"
Debbie admits that her head is all over the place;  “And now Ricky’s saying he’s not well enough to run in the race – he’s weak, and has lost confidence.   
"I can't do that if I'm in jail!"
“He needs me to be here to support him – and I can’t do that if I’m in jail!”
"We need to keep our cool, all right?"
Gwyneth emphasises that she is not running away, and says that they need to keep their cool, which Debbie hopes that she will be able to do.   
"You're right – I'm not going to cancel the race"
She gets out her phone and rings Ricky;  “Sorry for being silly earlier – you’re right, I’m not going to cancel the race.”
Iolo's OCD is obviously affecting him
Iolo is sitting on the sofa, fiddling with a rubber band;  Tyler comes downstairs and advises that Greta is now asleep.   
"Have you had a chance to think about everything?"
“Have you had a chance to think about everything?” he asks.   
"I can't see how it would work"
Iolo cannot see how it would work;  he begins, “It’s easy for you to move and be a teacher – but what am I supposed to do, except look after Greta?”   Tyler is optimistic that there is always a demand for plumbers, and living costs would be much lower.
He is shown details of a job in Dubai
“Look, this job has come up in Dubai,” Tyler says, and Iolo cannot believe he is serious;  “I could earn a fortune – all tax-free!” Tyler enthuses.
"Gay couples aren't welcome in Dubai!"
Iolo reminds him that gay couples are not welcome in Dubai, 
"Why are you always so negative?"
but is accused of being negative.   “Just use your head, will you?” Iolo shouts, “I thought we were happy here – so what is it?”   Are you bored?”   Tyler maintains that there is so much out there they have not seen, and begs him to consider it, at least.
Gwyneth looks at a photo of Gwern
Gwyneth is looking at a photo of Gwern when Garry arrives again;  
"Who were you expecting?"
“Who were you expecting?” he demands, and says that she drives a hard bargain.   “Listen, I owe you an apology – seriously, Gwyn, who am I to judge you?   
"We all make mistakes – I know that as well as anyone"
“We all make mistakes – I know that as well as anyone – you’re a good mother, and I know that your instinct is to protect your child.   
"You wanted to provide a better future for Gwern"
“That’s why you started to sell the drugs in the first place – you wanted to earn some money to provide a better future for Gwern.”
"Gwern always comes first!"
She assures him that Gwern always comes first, and that is not going to change;  
He passes her a bag
“That’s why I’ll meet you halfway,” he says, and hands her a bag, containing £30,000 in cash.
"In cash – no records leading back to you"
She is surprised to receive cash, but realises that way there will be no records leading back to him.   He wants an answer, one way or the other, but she demands to know what the conditions are.
"I'll give you until the weekend"
“I’ll give you until the weekend – then I want to cut all contact – and that means with everyone!” he stipulates.   She does not think she can do that, 
"It's for the good of Gwern"
but he points out it is for the good of Gwern.
"I shall need until the weekend to deposit it"
“I shall need until the weekend to deposit it – the bank will be suspicious if I pay it all in together,” she tells him, 
"That's sensible – you're doing the right thing"
and he describes that as sensible, assuring her that she is doing the right thing.
A dangerous game – trying to get one over on Garry Monk!
As he walks out of the door, her anguished look gradually turns into a triumphant smile.