16 December 2019

"Are you going to tell me why the ring is at the side of the bed?"
Iolo continues with his questions, while Tyler stedfastly refuses to supply any answers;  “Are you going to tell me why the ring is at the side of the bed?” he demands, “It’s because it’s true, isn’t it – that you slept with Aled?”   
Tyler comes up with excuses
Tyler takes off the ring and hands it to Iolo, having come up with the story, “I took it off to check the engraving, and forgot to put it back on – that’s all.   Why don’t you believe me?”
“Because of this evidence here – he’s lying in our bed,” replies Iolo, 
"He broke into the house"
but Tyler alleges it was after he had broken into the house.   
Iolo bursts out, “Do you know how convenient that sounds?” but is told that is how stalkers operate, and they know that, after all the stress with Meleri.   
"The perfect cover story"
Iolo is more inclined to think that it gives him the perfect cover story.
Tyler begs, “Please, Iol – the boy is obsessed with me!   You know that!   
"If my own husband doesn't believe me"
“What hope do I have if my own husband doesn’t believe me?   Please, don’t let Aled come between us!”
"I can't do this any more!"
Iolo has had enough;  “I can’t do this any more,” he says, 
"I'm fed up with feeling like a mug!"
“I’m fed up with feeling like a mug.”   
The ring is left on the table
He puts down the ring on the table and walks out of the house.
Garry is going for a run
Upstairs in the Deri, after Garry’s outburst, Dani finds him preparing to go out;  “You can’t go to the gym now!” she protests, but he answers that he is going for a run.   “Don’t be angry,” she pleads with him, “It was Britt’s and Colin’s idea.”   
"You should have put a stop to it!"
He snarls that she knew he did not want a fuss, and should have put a stop to that nonsense straightaway.
"I just wanted to do something nice for you!"
“I just wanted to do something nice for you!” she argues, “After everything we’ve been through – you can’t leave your own party!”   He accusingly points out to her that, as she created this mess, she can sort it out.
"The punters are getting restless down there"
Cassie comes up to report that the punters downstairs are getting restless, and wonders if they should start the buffet.   This is overruled by Garry, who instructs her to send them all home, 
"I don't want anyone here when I come back!'
as he does not want anyone there when he gets back, and will not listen to anything Dani says.
"Garry went nuts when he found out about the surprise"
In the gym, where Rhys is working, he tells Mathew to go to the party, but apparently it has now been cancelled;   “Garry went nuts when he found out about the surprise,” Mathew informs them.
Ffion cannot believe that, after all the trouble people went to, and suggests to Rhys that they could still go out, perhaps to Tapas or Cwm Delhi.
'I'm miles behind with the work, Ffi"
Rhys regrets that he is miles behind with the work on the gym, but she protests, “I was looking forward to having a night out with you.”   
"The gym won't be ready for January after all"
He is rapidly reaching the conclusion that the gym will not be ready for January after all;  “And January is the month when everyone joins a gym!”   
"I could take a week off and help"
Mathew volunteers to take a week off work at APD to come and help him – he would welcome a break from Dai’s moaning;  “I’ve got nothing better to do, now that Tes doesn’t want to know me,” he grumbles.
Everything that can be salvaged has been frozen
Dani is angrily clearing up in the Deri, and Cassie has frozen everything that can be frozen;  
Dani is about to cut a slice of Colin's cake
Dani removes the numbers ‘50’ from the cake just as Garry comes back and  snarls, “Put it in the bin!”    Dani is determined not to waste the cake, 
"Don't expect me to listen that your jeans are too tight!"
but he continues, “Don’t expect me to listen to you when you complain your jeans are too tight!”
"Why are you so angry?"
Dani furiously demands, “Why are you so angry?   Are you ashamed of turning 50?   We all get older, Garry – just accept it like everyone else!”
He yells back, “I just didn’t want a party!   I sometimes wonder whether you know me at all!”   
"Sorry, Tyler – the party's cancelled"
Tyler comes in, and is told by Cassie that the party is cancelled, but Dani is pleased to see someone with some sense, and invites him upstairs.
"It wouldn't have killed you to play the game for an hour, would it?"
Cassie tells Garry, “It wouldn’t have killed you to play the game for an hour, would it?”
The ring is a lovely snug fit . . .
Back home at Cysgod y Glyn, Ffion has tried on the ring which she discovered, and looks very pleased 
. . . but then she tries to remove it
until she tries to remove it.   Then the buzzer sounds;  Iolo says, “It’s really important – can I have a word with you, please.”
She continues her attempts to remove the ring, but without success, 
"Hello, Iolo"
so does her best to hide it as Iolo comes in, looking very confused;  
"I've wanted to ask you for ages"
“Look, it’s a bit awkward,” he begins, “I’ve wanted to ask you for ages – and I’m not sure if you can say anything.”   
"We're old friends, Iolo"
Ffion assures him that they are old friends, 
"What kind of boy is this Aled?"
so he asks, “What kind of boy is this Aled?   Do you think he would make all these lies up if nothing had happened?   I don’t know whether I believe Tyler or not!   Just tell me, Ffion, what kind of boy is he?”    
"Pupils can have crushes on teachers"
She cannot be of any help, as she has never taught him;  “But I do know that pupils can have crushes on teachers, and make allegations that are completely false   
"Remember that trouble I had with Chester?"
“You remember that trouble I had with Chester – fantasy is quite common, apparently – Tyler is good-looking and he’s kind to the children.   
"Tyler wouldn't do this to you – you're solid!"
“Tyler wouldn’t do this to you – you’re solid.”
"Everyone makes mistakes"
Iolo points out that everyone makes mistakes, but Ffion goes on, “If Tyler is telling the truth, you’re making a mistake by not believing him.”
"All that effort – and for what?"
Meanwhile, in the Deri flat, Dani complains to Tyler, “All that effort – and for what?   Where were you anyway?”   
"Whay's happened, Ty?"
Tyler again remains silent, so she asks, “What’s happened?”
"A phot of himself, lying naked in our bed!"
“Aled sent Iolo a photo of himself, lying naked in our bed!” he replies, and Dani is very shocked, as he continues, “He broke into the house.”
"You have to involve the police!"
She is quite adamant that he has to involve the police, but he says that he cannot;  “I can’t, Dan,” and after a long pause, 
"I did sleep with him"
makes the confession, “I slept with him – it was just after the explosion at the salon – my head was all over the place!”
"You promised me it wasn't true!"
She stops him there;  “No, because I asked you, and you promised me it wasn’t true.   How could you?”   
"You know what it's like to have a weak moment!"
He reminds her that she knows what it is like to have a weak moment, but she protests, “This isn’t about me – and Mathew was an adult!”
"I wasn't his teacher when I slept with him"
Tyler is at great pains to point out, “I wasn’t his teacher when I slept with him – he was 18 and he’d left Cwmderi school!   He’s lying to the police and saying we had an affair when I was his teacher.   That’s not true – I know I’ve been stupid, OK, 
"Please, Dan – you have to help me!"
“but please, you have to help me!”
"I've been through it, haven't I?"
Downstairs, Cassie tells Garry, “Look, we all get older – you can talk to me – I’ve been through it, haven’t I?   I remember thinking it was the end of the world when I turned 50 – but looking back at it, I had more fun in my 50s than I did in my 20s!”
"Mam dies in her 50s – and her brother and sister"
Garry replies, “I’m not worried about getting older – I’m worried about what’s going to happen to me during these next few years.   Mam died in her 50s, and her brother and her sister.”
Cassie assures him that he has years ahead of him, and lots of things to look forward to;  “Like seeing Gwern and Seren growing up.”   
"There's no guarantee I'll be here for that!"
He groans that there is no guarantee he will be here for that.   “No-one’s got a guarantee!” she growls, 
"Have you had bad news or something?"
“Have you had bad news or something from the doctor?” and when he replies in the negative, she goes on, “So you’ve spoiled tonight because you’re worrying about nothing?”
"My family's medical history is catastrophic!"
He is of the opinion that it is not nothing;  “My family’s medical history is catastrophic – I’ve only got Britt left – and her health hasn’t been too special this year!”
"You'd better explain to Dani"
Cassie advises that he had better explain to Dani why he reacted like that, but he points out that she will only worry too.   
"I mean it, Cas – not a word!"
“I don’t want Dani to know anything about this, right?” he insists, “I mean it, Cas – not a word!”
"Why hasn't he been in touch?"
Iolo demands, “If he hasn’t done anything wrong, why hasn’t he been in touch?”   Ffion points out that Iolo walked out on him, and is sure that Tyler is worried sick.
"Unless you've got definite proof . . ."
“Unless you’ve got definite proof that something happened, you have to believe Tyler,” she tells him,  
"I suppose you're right, Ffi"
and Iolo admits that she is right, and he has been stupid, letting this Aled mess with his head.   
Ffion hugs Iolo
He thanks Ffion for her advice, and she gives him a hug.
Ffion is still not having any success
As he goes out of the front door of Cysgod y Glyn, he meets Jason coming in;  meanwhile, Ffion again wrestles with the ring, but cannot shift it.   
"I've brought back the keys to the gym"
Jason has come to return the keys to the gym, but before he goes, she wonders if he can assist her.   
'I'm in a bit of a pickle, Jason"
“I’m in a bit of a pickle,” she confesses, and when he sees the ring, he congratulates her.
"Oh, congratulations!"
“No, you don’t understand – he hasn’t asked me yet – can you help me try to get it off?”
"That is exactly the kind of day today has been!"
Dani walks into the room, carrying a dirty nappy, commenting, “That is exactly the kind of day today has been!”   
"You have to go to the police and tell them the truth"
Pouring herself a drink, she tells Tyler he must go to the police and tell them the truth.   He is astonished that she has changed her tune, but she points out, “The fact that he is 18 and not your pupil changes everything – you haven’t broken the law!”
"What if they don't believe me?"
“But what if they don’t believe me, Dan?” he whines, 
"There must be a date on that photo"
and she realises that there must be a date on the photo – and he must tell Iolo as well.   
"No way, Dan!"
“No way, Dan!” he rages, so she wonders if he wants Iolo to find out in court.
"Tell the truth – or risk going to jail!"
“You’ve got two options – tell everyone the truth, or risk going to jail,” she informs him.
Not a pleasant experience for Ffion . . .
As Jason tightly winds some string around Ffion’s finger – quite a painful experience – he thinks that he is making progress, 
. . . but it has the desired effect
and indeed, the ring comes off.   He explains that it is an old trick which he saw on the Internet;  “You’re lucky I’m here, or this marriage would be over before it’s started!” he says.
Ffion is extremely grateful to him
Ffion gives him her effusive thanks, and he predicts that it will be a special Christmas for her this year;  she is not so optimistic about Jason this Christmas, 
"Mam will make sure there's plenty of stress!"
but he maintains that it is only one day.   However, his mother will make sure there is plenty of stress.
"At times like this I was in danger of starting to drink again"
Ffion is concerned for him, recalling, “At times like this, I was in danger of starting to drink again, but Jason is adamant that he is not going to start gambling again.   Rather, he is going to save every penny this year.
"I'm going to be the best possible father to that boy"
“If this ‘blip’ did anything, it’s made me more determined than ever to be the best possible father to that boy – I’m going to spoil Ifan rotten this year.   I’m very lucky to have him.”
"He's doing what?"
As Jason leaves, Ffion remarks, “I hope Mathew taking time off to help Rhys doesn’t cause you more stress.”   
Ffion realises she has put her foot in it here
Then she realises that he did not know, and he walks out in disgust.
"He's still not answering!"
Rhys and Mathew come out of the chippy with their meal, and are unable to contact a delivery driver;  
"You're taking time off to help him?"
then Jason comes along the road, demanding, “What’s this I hear about you taking time off to help him?”   
"I can do what I like in my own time"
Mathew maintains that he has the right to do whatever he wants in his own time.
"You sack me, and then steal my staff?"
Jason turns to Rhys;  “You sack me – and then steal my staff?   Decent people don’t do things like that!”   Mathew explains that he has to try and catch the January clients, or he will lose money.   “What about the money I’m losing?” roars Jason, “It will be a miserable Christmas in our house – but you don’t care about that, do you, Rhys?   
"Nothing must spoil the special Christmas for you and Ffion!"
“As long as nothing spoils the special Christmas for you and Ffion!”   
"What's he on about?"
Rhys wonders what he is talking about.
"There must be clinics for men"
In the Deri, Cassie says she has been thinking;  “There must be health clinics for men, like there are for women – you could have a little MOT – it’s better than stewing!   You know what happened to me recently – I thought I had a lump in my breast, but it was nothing in the end.”
"Thanks for helping – you can go now"
Garry thanks her for helping to clear up the Deri, but points out that she has finished now, and he will see her tomorrow.
"I'm afraid it will trigger Iolo's OCD"
Tyler and Dani come downstairs, with Tyler concerned that this may trigger Iolo’s OCD.   
"Garry forgave me – and I forgave him about Sioned"
She advises him to simply be honest with Iolo;  “Garry forgave me, and I forgave him about Sioned.”   
"I don't know if Iolo can do that"
Tyler wonders if Iolo can do that, but she urges him to give him time.   He of course does not want Danny to tell anyone – not even Garry.
"What did Tyler want?"
Garry demands what Tyler wanted;  “He was up there long enough – and you look stressed.”
"You won't tell me what's on your mind"
“You won’t tell me what’s on your mind, so don’t expect me to,” she replies, as she pours herself a drink, “Just leave it, Garry.”   He protests that they are soon going on holiday, 
"I don't want to go on holiday like this"
and he does not want to go like this, so she snaps, “Cancel it, then!   I told you I was not sure about this holiday – 
"Going to America with 'Grinch Monk'!"
“and at the moment I can’t think of anything worse than going to America with Grinch Monk!   So you might as well cancel the holiday – and while you’re at it, cancel Christmas as well!”
"Arwen is fast asleep"
Ffion reports to Rhys that Arwen is fast asleep;  “She’ll have to go over to Beca’s house more often.”   Rhys is obviously not in a good mood, explaining that he is tired;  
"Just reading girls' things in magazines"
he wonders what she has been doing during the evening, and she says that she has been reading girls’ things in magazines.
"I heard you had a visitor
“I heard you had a visitor,” he goes on, 
"Something about a special Christmas"
“Jason was acting really oddly – saying something about our special Christmas,” 
"Perhaps he meant it was our first Christmas together"
but Ffion pretends that she has no idea about this, suggesting that he may have meant their first Christmas together.
"I might have my nails done for Christmas"
“I might have my nails done for Christmas – those holographic things – they’re lovely!” she says, and Rhys goes to have a shower, while Ffion retrieves her ‘Weddings’ magazine from down the side of the sofa.
His talk with Ffion has calmed Iolo
When Tyler returns to number 7, Iolo’s mood has mellowed.   
"I've been for a walk"
Tyler lies that he has been for a walk;  “To try and make sense of things.   Look, Iol, this is really important – I need you to listen.   
"I'm worried how this will affect you"
“I’m worried about how the court case will affect you – it won’t be easy for you to hear what will be said.   You’re the important one now – 
"I don't want this to make you ill again"
“I want you to promise me you’ll look after yourself – I don’t want this to make you ill again!”
"I know you'd never sleep with anyone else"
Iolo stresses that he knows the truth;  “I know you would never sleep with anyone else – that’s all that’s important.   
"I believe you – so stop worrying"
“I believe you, so please stop worrying, or you’ll make yourself ill.   I love you.”
"Like the steel!"
As he hands the ring back to Tyler, he adds, commenting on the inscription, “Like the steel!”   Tyler is in tears as the ring is put back on his finger, and also professes his love for Iolo.
"OK, I'll go"
Greta begins to cry upstairs, and Iolo goes up;  as he is comforting her, Tyler gets out his phone 
Tyler cannot keep away from Aled
and composes a text which reads, “We need to meet.   9:00am tomorrow.   The track by Cwrtmynach.”