23 December 2019

"That's everything ready for Wednesday"
At Maes-y-Deri, Debbie announces that everything is ready for Wednesday;  
"Potatoes, sprouts, carrots – even stuffing!"
“Potatoes, sprouts, carrots – even the stuffing!   The turkey’s starting to defrost as well.”
Mark makes the derogatory comment, “It’s a bit small, isn’t it?” 
"There are only two of us"
but she points out that it will only be for the two of them.   “I know, but we all need sandwiches for tea, another dinner on Boxing Day, turkey salad, turkey curry,” he moans.   She predicts that he will get fed up with turkey, but he declares, 
"That's like a budgie!"
“I love turkey, Debs – that’s like a budgie!   You should have let me buy it.”
"Eileen wants me to do more Cae Glas deliveries"
Then he receives a message from Eileen, asking if he can do some more Cae Glas deliveries; 
"You drive, and I'll run in with the hampers"
 “You drive, and I’ll run in with the hampers,” Debbie suggests.
Izzy has been given some Christmas presents
Izzy has been given some bottles of wine by the group at the Ffos Fach language initiative, and her mother points out she will have to give them something now.   
"Come to Swansea with us"
“Come to Swansea with us – you can go shopping while we’re eating,” Gaynor tells her.   
"We're going to that Thai place your mother likes"
Hywel is taking her to that Thai place which Gaynor likes, but as usual, Izzy does not have any money, so will have to resort to making some more candles.
"I spend money enjoying myself"
Her mother wonders what happens to her money, and her excuse is that she is enjoying herself.
"This is not a shopping trip, Tesni"
As they come round the corner past Tomos ac Ellis, Gerwyn tells Tesni, “We’re going to pick up parts for the garage, not going shopping,” but she protests that Carmarthen will be lovely this afternoon, with carols and a brass band in the market – not to mention the sales.   Gerwyn says she is very similar to her mother.
"Look who's across the road"
Then she sees Mathew across the road;  
"Can I have a word, Tesni?"
he asks if she has a minute, so she agrees to speak to him, but her father keeps an eye on Mathew.   
"That won't make everything OK!"
“I want to say sorry for last week,” he begins, but she replies that will not make everything OK.
"You stripped – in front of everyone – you're pathetic!"
“You stripped in the Deri – in front of everyone – you’re pathetic!” she rages, and goes to get into the car with her father, 
"Tesni – wait!"
ignoring Mathew’s pleas.
"Smile – it's Christmas!"
Ffion comes out of the shop and tells him, “Smile – it’s Christmas, in case no-one has told you.”   Mathew asks if Rhys is at home, as he would like to talk to him, but is told he is not there.
"Women – I don't understand them!"
“Women – I don’t understand them!” he complains, and Ffion maintains that the best person to give him advice about women is a woman.   
"I'll buy you a mince pie in the café"
She will buy him a mince pie in the café and he can tell her what is wrong.
Turkey Despatch is in full swing
Mark and Debbie arrive at the Turkey Production Department of Penrhewl, 
"Who's having this 'whopper', then?"
and Mark wonders who is having the ‘whopper’ on the bench.   Jim proudly informs him that it is for Y Felin, and the next one is for Ffion and Rhys;  “And that one’s for the Ashursts.   You can’t put a price on a fresh, organic turkey – 
"It will melt in your mouth like butter!"
“that will melt in your mouth like butter!”
Mark ponders that he has never had an organic turkey before, then Eileen points out that there are two for delivery to Plas y Faedda, and another for Handel, Deri Fawr;  “The rest are for the Fedwen Estate outside Tumble.”   
Debbie is eyeing that turkey
Meanwhile Debbie appears to be developing a plan.
Izzy peers into Megan's shop
Izzy is peering through the window of the Apêl Maenan shop, and is disappointed when Anita informs her that it will not be open for a while.   
"She's gone to Sydney to see Rhian Haf"
“Megan’s gone to Sydney to see Rhian Haf,” she says;  Izzy wanted some more old cups, as she is candlemaking again.   “They went down well on Wednesday, didn’t they?” comments Anita,
"She won't be back until mid January"
“But she won’t be back till mid January.”   She continues, “A lot of people go away at Christmas – Kelly and Paul have gone to Merthyr to see Amanda – 
"I'll spoil him rotten when he gets home"
“they only went on Thursday and already I feel lost, but I’ll spoil him rotten when he gets home.”   
"Merry Christmas, Izzy!"
Anita finds her card for Izzy.
"She's still angry, even after I said sorry!"
“She was so angry!” Mathew laments, “And she’s still angry, even after I said sorry.”   
"Perhaps saying sorry isn't enough"
Ffion points out that he embarrassed her, and perhaps saying sorry is not enough;  “You can’t expect everything to fall back into place just because you said sorry – it’s just a word, isn’t it?   
"You have to show how much you regret it"
“You have to show Tesni how much you regret it, if you want her back.   Use your imagination – buy her chocolates – 
"Or, better still, send her some flowers"
“or even better, send her some flowers.   I don’t know any woman who doesn’t like getting flowers.”
"She'll just throw them in the bin!"
Mathew predicts that Tesni will just throw them into the bin, but Ffion points out that he does not know that.   
"I might as well accept that I've lost her"
“She thinks I’m pathetic, so I might as well accept that I’ve lost her,” he groans.
Ffion insists that it would be pathetic not to try to do something;  she takes his phone and instructs him, “Come on, order her her a nice bouquet of flowers – now!” as she leaves the café.
Mathew goes to the Blodau Mynach website . . .
He navigates to the website of Blodau Mynach (Mynach Florists)
. . . but then gives up the idea
but then thinks better of it and puts down the phone.
Cae Glas has a very unhappy customer
Anita arrives at Penrhewl in a state of high dudgeon;  “Perhaps you can explain to me why I’ve had a small turkey, when I ordered a 20-pound one?”   Eileen immediately looks suspiciously at Jim, but he is quite certain that he put the correct turkey in the box.   
"Anyone can see that's not a 20-pounder!"
“Anyone can see that’s not a large turkey!” Anita adds furiously.
"I remember putting a large turkey in your box!"
“But I remember putting a large turkey in your box!” Jim tells her, and and when Mark comes in after his deliveries, he is asked whether he knows anything about it;  “Have you been fiddling with Anita’s order?” demands Jim.
"I don't like what you're insinuating!"
Mark confirms that he delivered everything exactly as he was told;  “And I don’t like what you’re insinuating!   I’m doing you a favour – I didn’t have to come back for the rest!”   Eileen tries to calm matters, and Mark snarls, “It’s not nice to be falsely accused!”   
"It was obviously a mistake at our end"
Eileen assures him that no one is accusing him, and remarks that everyone makes mistakes;  it was obviously caused by a mistake at their end.
"I'm going to track down that 20-pounder!"
Jim is still quite adamant that he did not make any mistake, and is going to start phoning around, to track down the 20-pound turkey.   “Don’t do that – we’ve got enough to do here!” shouts Eileen, then informs Anita that they have some 15-pound ones left, and they will give her a discount.   
"How about £10 off the price?"
It is suggested that they take £10 off the price, 
"How about £15?"
but Anita would rather it was £15.   
Eileen is concerned about Jim's capabilities
As she goes to fetch the turkey, she looks anxiously at Jim.
Gaynor has an unpleasant surprise
Gaynor and Hywel are back from Swansea, where it appears they have been doing some shopping, but Gaynor is furious when she finds that Izzy has been making candles in some teacups.
“Izzy, what are you doing?” she rages, “This is Auntie Verity’s china!”   
"I thought they were just old rubbish!"
Izzy had thought they were old rubbish, but is informed that they are antiques;  
"My grandmother's sister left them to me"
they were left to her Gaynor by her grandmother’s sister.   “We thought the world of each other!”
"We hardly ever went to see her!"
Izzy disputes this, as they hardly ever went to see her, but it is forcibly impressed upon her that Verity lived in Scotland.   “Why didn’t you ask first?” Gaynor shouts, and Izzy repeats that she is sorry.   
"You test my patience sometimes!"
“You test my patence sometimes!” growls Gaynor.
"I'll buy you a drink, Dad"
Tesni and her father have returned to the Deri, and she is going to pay for a drink for Gerwyn;  
"I've spent two hours wrapping presents"
Ffion is sitting nearby, and complains that she has spent the last two hours wrapping presents.   
"I hear that you've fallen out"
When Gerwyn goes to have a word with John Post, Ffion remarks that she has heard that Tesni and Mathew have fallen out.   “I had a cup of tea with him earlier – he’s very upset – just as you are.   Alcohol makes people do stupid things,” Ffion says, 
"It doesn't excuse what he did!"
but Tesni maintains that it does not excuse the way he behaved.   
"You might get a little delivery later . . ."
“He does regret it, you know,” Ffion continues, “And you might get a little delivery later – 
". . . a bunch of something nice"
don’t let on that you know, all right, but I think a bunch of something quite nice will land at your house.”
Tesni likes this idea
Tesni smiles as Ffion wonders if she will forgive him if he crawls a little;  “There’s nothing a dozen red roses can’t sort out, is there?”
Izzy's teacup candles are wrapped
Izzy is wrapping up the candles in the teacups and attaching bows to them 
"Your mother's still angry, you know"
as Hywel reminds her, “Your mother’s still angry, you know,” 
"I'm giving her the prettiest one"
so Izzy explains that she is giving the prettiest candle to her mother as a Christmas present.
“She owns those – you’re cheeky and you’re tight!” Hywel says, and Izzy protests that she would buy a better present if she had the money.   
He tells her to manage her money better
“You’d have been able to buy her a better present if you hadn’t gone out,” he advises, 
"It's none of your business, Hywel!"
but she tells him how she spends her own money is none of his business.   “It is if it affects your mother!” he growls.
"Hang on a minute!"
Mark returns home after his turkey deliveries, and as he passes the defrosting small turkey, thinks something does not look right, 
It definitely did not look like that earlier
so he uncovers it, revealing an incredibly large turkey.   
"Debbie!"
He immediately shouts upstairs for Debbie.
"That's Y Felin's turkey!"
“That’s Y Felin’s turkey – you swapped it for ours!   There were ructions at Penrhewl – Anita thought Jim had given her the wrong turkey!”
"No-one can prove I had anything to do with it!"
Debbie is glad about that, as no one can prove that she had anything to do with it.  “Did you swap it when we called back here on the way to Plas y Faedda?” he demands, 
"Now you can have your sandwiches and curry!"
and she proudly replies that now he can have his cold turkey, sandwiches and curry.   
"It doesn't belong to us, Debs!"
When he points out that it does not belong to them, she laughs, “It does now!” and argues that she did not steal it, but merely swapped it.   
"This will melt in your mouth like butter!"
“I thought you would be pleased, as you have never had an organic turkey –  this will melt in your mouth like butter!” she informs him.
"How can you do this to Jim and Eileen?"
Mark wonders how she can do this to Jim and Eileen;  “They’ve been good to us!”
"We've been good to them!"
Debbie reckons that they have been good to Penrhewl, helping out after his mother left, but he insists, “You could ruin Cae Glas’s reputation – you haven’t got a conscience, have you?”
"It's not a big deal, Mark!"
As she protests that it is not a big deal, Mark stresses, “You don’t steal from friends and family – that’s Dad’s first rule!”   She reminds him that it is only a turkey, but he roars, “I just can’t trust you, can I?”
Debbie cannot understand why he is so upset over a turkey;  
"This is not going to work!"
he exclaims, “It’s not about the turkey!   It’s the fact that you’ve hurt me – again!   This – us – isn’t going to work!”
"I definitely put a large turkey in Y Felin's box!"
As they deliver to the Deri, Jim is still insisting, “I remember putting a large turkey into Y Felin’s box!   It was the first one I packed – then the Ashurst’s, then Cysgod y Glyn.”   Eileen tells him not to worry about it, as it is all sorted now, 
"I remember doing it!"
but he protests, “I remember doing it!   You think it’s my illness, don’t you?” 
"Everyone makes mistakes"
Eileen is getting tired of repeating that everyone makes mistakes;  “You were listening to the radio, you were talking to Mark – you probably weren’t concentrating.   You don’t have to be ill to do that – I’ve made hundreds of mistakes over the years.”   
"I'm absolutely certain!"
Jim is absolutely sure that he did not make a mistake, but agrees the best thing to do would be forget about it.
"I've got a couple of things to sort out"
“I’m going – I’ve got a couple of things to sort out,” he tells Eileen, rather cryptically, “A surprise for Wednesday – I won’t be long.”   Eileen asks Geraint if he will give the turkey and hamper to Dani.
"Come on, Mark – you're overreacting now!"
“Come on, Mark – you’re overreacting now!” exclaims Debbie, 
"This hurts – like that whole drugs business!"
but he points out that this hurts, just like the whole business with the drugs.   
“It proves how sly you are – it’s true, Debs!” he says, 
"A year ago, you would have found this hilarious!"
but she answers that a year ago he would have found this hilarious.   “How much has happened since then?” he demands, 
"It's one thing after another with you"
“It’s just one thing after another with you – actually, it’s been one thing after another since you got here!”
"You haven't been perfect either"
She points out that he has not been perfect either, and he admits that;  “But I didn’t put Ricky’s life in danger, did I?   I didn’t use him as a drugs mule!   I didn’t start selling drugs in my 40s – 
"I just can't take any more!"
“I just can’t take any more!”
"I wanted us to have the best possible Christmas"
Debbie argues that she took the turkey because she wanted him to have the best possible Christmas, especially now Ricky and Kath will not be there.   “Everything I’ve ever done has been for all of you – it has, because I want you, and us, to have the best possible life.”
"You make the wrong decisions, time after time!"
He points out that she is making the wrong decisions, time after time, so she exclaims, 
"I'll take the damn thing back, then!"
“I’ll take the damn thing back then, if it’s that much of a problem!”   
"No – you're not going near Penrhewl, after what you've done!"
Mark is determined that she is not going anywhere near Penrhewl, not after what she has done.
"You're always sorry – but you never learn"
Debbie says that she is sorry;  Mark sighs, “You’re always sorry, aren’t you?   And you never learn – I thought perhaps we could work things out, but not this time.   I don’t want you here – I mean it, Debs.   Listen, I don’t want any shouting, screaming or any drama about it – 
"I just want you to leave – now!"
“I just want you to leave – now!”
Tesni waits for the arrival of the flowers . . .
Tesni is full of expectation as she sits at home, and becomes excited when there is a knock at the door;  
. . . and is disappointed when her father turns up
however, it is her father, who has so much to carry that he could not find his keys. “I was expecting a delivery,” she tells Gerwyn, “From Mathew.   We did argue, but I thought he was going to send me flowers – 
"Mathew's obviously changed his mind"
“I’ve been waiting for hours – he’s obviously changed his mind!   
"I don't want to talk about him any more!"
“I don’t care – I don’t want to talk about Mathew!   
"Let's open one of these bottles now"
“Let’s open one of these bottles of wine now – you’ve finished work until Friday.”
"We're going to have the best Christmas ever!"
As she fetches some glasses from the cupboard, she goes on, “I’m going to make sure we have the best Christmas ever.”   
The trouble is, she cannot forget Mathew
Nevertheless, she cannot get Mathew out of her mind.
"I'll never do anything stupid again . . ."
Debbie is begging Mark not to throw her out, promising that they can work things out;  “I’ll change – I promise not to do anything stupid ever again!”   He cannot remember how many times he has heard that, 
" . . . and I mean it this time!"
but she wails, “I mean it this time!   The Joneses against the world – that’s what we’ve always said.”
"Not this time, Debs!"
With tears in his eyes, Mark answers, “Not this time!”   She declares that she loves him, and he admits he also loves her;  
"It's not enough any more"
“But it’s not enough any more – nothing you can say or do will change that – sorry.”
"I've messed up everything again!"
She sits down and groans, “I’m the one who’s sorry – I’ve messed up everything again.   Ricky’s gone – now you – sorry for hurting you.”
"Sorry I'm not able to forgive you"
Mark is sorry for not being able to forgive her, 
She hugs Mark, briefly
and she embraces him, but he pushes her away.   
"I'll go up and pack"
“I’ll go up and pack,” she says, 
Mark is devastated
leaving Mark overcome by emotion.