14 June 2019

Izzy looks at the Western Post archives
At breakfast time in Llwyncelyn, Izzy is looking at the Western Post Online website, specifically an item entitled, “Homophobic attack on Cwmderi rugby player,” with a photo of Eifion.   She looks very concerned, and when her mother comes in, 
"How did it go last night?"
asking how it went last night, she replies that she cancelled the date, but will not explain further.
"You don't want to be late for school, do you?"
She insists that her mother does not want to be late for school, and that she is not a little girl any more;  as soon as Gaynor has gone, 
A phone call from Eifion 
Izzy’s phone buzzes, and she sees that it is Eifion calling.   
"I've tried to phone you several times"
“At last,” he says, “I’ve tried to phone you several times,” but she maintains that she is a heavy sleeper.   He wants to know why she left the Deri in such a hurry last night, 
"I remembered I had a meeting"
and she improvises that she remembered she had a meeting with Yr Antur.
He was worried that she was not well;  “Or worse, that I’d done something wrong!”   
"Are you busy this morning?"
She asks if he is busy this morning, and replies, “I can do what I like – just like the old days.”   She wants him to call and see her, 
"We could go to the beach"
and he assumes that she wants to go out somewhere, possibly the beach.
“I don’t want to go anywhere – I just want to see you,” she informs him, and, with a grin, he replies that suits him perfectly.   
He does not suspect what will happen
Izzy does not seem to be looking forward to this encounter.
"I have the day off, Sara"
Outside APD, DJ is leaving a message for Sara, reminding her that he has the day off.   
"You're puffing like a sheepdog!"
Dylan is out for a run, and Dai comments, “You’re puffing like a sheepdog that’s cleared an entire mountain!”   
"It's important to keep fit"
Dylan maintains that it is important to keep fit, 
"Dai hates anyone who is fit!"
and Mark, who is delivering the post, says that Dai hates anyone who is fit.
“It was team sports for me, years ago, until the lycra brigade took over the streets,” Dai points out, 
"I've played for several rugby teams"
but Dylan mentions that he has played for several rugby teams over the years, including the Wales youth squad.   Dai is very interesting to hear this, and introduces himself as the chairman of Cwmderi rugby club, which is looking for an outside half, exactly the position which Dylan plays.   
“Our number 10 has lost the plot a bit – he’s just got married – 
"Women and rugby don't mix"
“women and rugby don’t mix,” Dai drones on, “They should only be in the club to make the cawl after the game.”   
"Women's rugby can be very exciting!"
Dylan insists that women’s rugby can be very exciting, so Dai rapidly changes his tune, and hopes to sign him up for next season.
Jaclyn is doing the ironing
Jaclyn is doing the ironing, and her mother-in-law complains that her arthritis is killing her, so she cannot iron her own clothes.   
"That shirt must have cost at least £100!"
She sees one of Dylan’s shirts, and remarks, “That hasn’t come from a market stall – it must have cost at least £100!”   
"More than I spend on clothes in a year"
Gerwyn moans that is more than he spends on clothes in a year.
Dylan returns from his run and says that he will be able to put the clothes straight in his case now;  
"I'm off today – the holiday's over"
“I’m off today – the holiday’s over.   I’ve got clients to see, so I have to go, but I’ll miss you all.”   Jaclyn is not pleased to hear this.
Eifion is on his way to Llwyncelyn . . . 
Eifion walks along the village street, and calls at the shop for some flowers, 
. . . and gets some flowers from the shop
which he thinks will make a good impression.
Kelly is going out for some fresh air
At Y Felin, Kelly comes downstairs, and Anita asks if she is going out.   “Yes, for bit of fresh air,” Kelly replies, “It’s not healthy to be cooped up in here too long.”   
"I'll go with you, Kelly"
Anita wants to go with her, but she insists that she will be all right by herself;  “Auntie Neet, I’m fine!”
"You're looking better"
Siôn remarks that she looks better, and she agrees that she feels better, too;  
She takes a slice of toast with her
taking a piece of toast, she leaves the house, and Siôn assures Anita that she will be right.
"I'll get Ger to check the oil and tyres for you"
In the café, Jaclyn tells Dylan that she will get Gerwyn to check the oil and tyres for him;  “Leave Gerwyn Parry to me.”   He says that he has enjoyed his time in the village, 
That girl is working in the café again today
which is a great little place;  she wonders if he has to leave, 
"Mind you keep in touch, OK?"
and instructs him to keep in touch.
Gaynor wants a favour from Awyr Iach 
Gaynor sees DJ there, and asks for a favour from Awyr Iach;  “Izzy’s idea of having lots of Sali Malis in the one place has captured the imagination of the pupils.”
"Nefi wen!   You're supposed to teach the kids in that place!"
Dai is predictably incensed;  “Nefi wen!   You’re supposed to teach kids in that place, and stick bunsen burners and tripods under their noses!”   
Gaynor's hopes for free costumes . . .
Gaynor wonders if Awyr Iach could make the costumes, and was hoping they would be free.   
. . . are shattered by DJ . . .
Upon hearing this, DJ replies that they are busy completing another order, and will not have time for anything else.
. . . but Dylan offers sponsorship
Dylan has overheard the conversation and is willing to sponsor the event;  “Why don’t we say £5 for every Sali Mali that turns up?”   Gaynor regards that as a very generous offer, and suggests that APD might also sponsor the event.
Dai is not minded to do so;  “What?   Give money to people to dress up as the old lady of Cwmderi?   
"Does anyone see the word 'sucker' tattoed on my forehead?"
“Does anyone see the word ‘sucker’ tattooed on my forehead?”
Kelly apprehensively approaches the café . . .
Gaynor has given up and left the café, when through the alley opposite Kelly approaches;  
. . . and looks up . . . 
she looks up 
. . . at the window of her flat
at the flat window 
Already the emotion is beginning to show
and is becoming very emotional.   
Then the tactless Brenda arrives
Then Brenda on her mobility scooter arrives, and asks Kelly how she is coping;  “An experience like that is never going to leave you, is it?   
"You were luckier than that other young woman"
“But you were luckier than that other young woman, Eileen’s daughter.”
Dylan and Jaclyn have left the café 
Dylan and and Jaclyn have emerged from the café and are watching, as Brenda goes on, “Things must be very difficult at Penrhewl – you never know, 
"He might have killed several others!"
“he might have killed several others as well – a serial killer!   You’re better off in the widows’ club, like me.”
By now she has reduced Kelly to a serious state of panic;  
"You're brave to have ventured out!"
Brenda tells Gerwyn that Kelly is brave to have ventured out, and hopes that she does not have too many nightmares.   
Kelly completely loses her composure . . .
Kelly is distraught, and does not know what to do, 
. . . and is again rescued by Dylan
so Dylan rushes to her aid, once again.
Kelly exclaims that it was a mistake to come out;  “Nobody understands – that’s the problem!   
"I'd be better off dead!"
“How am I going to cope with a child and the café? – I’d be better off dead!”   
"Come on, Kelly – I'm taking you home"
Dylan will take her home.
"Close the door behind you"
Eifion arrives at Llwyncelyn and Izzy lets him in;  “Close the door behind you,” she says, and he looks concerned.   
"Is something wrong, Izzy?"
He knows that something is wrong, 
She shows him the Western Post article
and she shows him the Western Post article on her phone.
"That's complete nonsense!"
“That was about a year ago,” he tells her, “It’s complete nonsense!   Let’s go out somewhere so I can treat you.”   
She objects to his prevarication . . .
She objects to his avoiding answering, 
. . . but he continues to make up stories
and he goes on, “It was a misunderstanding – I was mistaken for someone else on the team.   I threatened to sue the newspaper, and the editor phoned to apologise. People were making fun of me – the whole thing was so embarrassing!”
"I want the truth – or I want you out!"
Izzy replies, “I know when someone is lying – they have far too much to say.   Now I want the truth – or I want you out!”
"I should have gone with her"
At Y Felin, Anita is becoming concerned that Kelly is not back;  “I should have gone out with her.”   Siôn tells her to come and sit down,  
"Kelly wanted some peace"
pointing out that Kelly wanted some peace, and they have to respect that, or she will not trust them.
As Anita frets that she is still very fragile, 
Then she comes in, quite shattered
the door opens and a weeping Kelly comes in, accompanied by Dylan.   “She obviously isn’t OK – I should have come with you!” exclaims Anita 
"A few people asked her how she was"
and Dylan explains that a few people asked her how she was after last week.
“I’m a figure of pity!” Kelly sobs, 
"The widow of a murderer!"
“The widow of a murderer – the girl Ed tried to kill!”   Anita thanks Dylan for bringing her home, and sits her down on the sofa.   
As he leaves, Dylan looks very concerned about her;  Siôn remarks, “It’s easy to forget you’ve had a terrible experience as well,” 
"I'm not one to crack"
but Dylan says that he is not one to crack, and that he is fine.   
"We're very grateful to you"
Siôn just wants him to know that they are very grateful to him for saving Kelly’s life.
"How did you find out"
Eifion wonders how Izzy found out, but she does not regard that as  important;  “Nobody knows we’re seeing each other, so who told you?” he demands.
"Jason accidentally mentioned it"
“I heard it from Jason – it slipped out accidentally,” she tells him, and he wonders why people cannot keep their noses out.   “It makes sense now that you wanted to hide our relationship,” she goes on, but he insists that he was going to tell her.
"You're obviously not happy about it yourself"
He cannot see why it is a problem, and Izzy says that it clearly is for him;  “Making up stories and hiding the truth from me – you’re worried that I’ve got a problem, but you’re obviously not happy about it yourself.   How long have you been bisexual, then?”
"There's no need to put a label on it"
He insists there is no need to put a label it;  “I fall for the person, and now I’m with you!” he stresses, but she knows that it is just for the present.
"You left Cadno for some bloke"
“You left Cadno for some bloke, from what I heard,” she says, 
"Our relationship wasn't perfect, by a long way"
but he points out that their relationship was not perfect by a long way.   Izzy’s next question is, “Were are you going out with men while you were together?   Affairs?”   
"I'm not proud of it"
He admits there were a couple of times, and he is not proud of it.
"How do I know you won't cheat on me?"
“So how am I supposed to know you won’t cheat on me, like you did on Cadno – with men?” she demands, and he replies that he is happy with her.   
"That's why you let me feel like an idiot in the Deri, was it?"
“That’s why you let me feel like an idiot in the Deri, was it?” she growls;  
"There aren't any more secrets"
he says that he is sorry and that he has no more secrets, but she finds it impossible to  trust him now.   
"It's too late – there's nothing more to say!"
“It’s too late – there’s nothing more to say, and I want you out!” she tells him, and he has no option but to comply.
Dai offering to buy drinks?
Dylan is buying a round of drinks for the family in the Deri, but, uncharacteristically, Dai offers to pay, much to DJ’s surprise.   
Mark wonders if he might get one
Mark, however, is disappointed when he hopes that Dai will pay for his drink.
Dai wants him to play for the club
“How long are you intending to stay in Cwmderi?” Dai asks, “The rugby club boys would love to have someone of your standard playing for us.   We’ve got a decent squad, but you could be the missing link.”
"You're wasting your time – he's leaving today"
Gerwyn interrupts to say that Dai is wasting his time, as Dylan is leaving today, and they will not see him for months.   DJ asks what sort of business he is in, but before he can answer, Jaclyn takes him to one side.
"You don't want to leave your sister, do you?"
“What’s wrong?   You don’t want to leave your sister, do you?   Tell me what’s going on, Dyl.   Why are you leaving so quickly?”   
"I've got clients to see"
He replies that he has clients to see, and would tell her if it were anything else.
"Jac's trying to persuade Dylan to stay"
Gerwyn takes the drinks back to the table, and informs Brenda that they have a problem;  “Jac’s trying to persuade Dylan to stay,” but she seems to have changed her tune, 
"I've had more drinks from him that I ever have from you"
informing him that she has had more drinks out of Dylan in the last fortnight than she has ever had from Gerwyn.
"I've tried to shut it all out"
Dylan is admitting to Jaclyn, “I’ve tried to shut it all out, like I always do, but seeing Kelly . . .   Being with you has helped me forget about it.”   
"Your place is with me"
Jaclyn knows how things can affect him and insists that his place is with her – his clients can wait.
He concedes that perhaps he does not have to go;  
"I could work in Outer Mongolia"
“With a phone and a laptop, I could work in Outer Mongolia.”   She tells him that his big sister will look after him, 
"Dylan's staying!"
then announces that he is staying, which is good news to Brenda, 
"I'll get the forms for you to sign"
and Dai will get hold of the forms for him to sign.
When Gerwyn protests that he has more rugby skills, Dai maintains that the corner flag has got more muscles than him.
"One condition – you dress up as Sali Mali!"
“I’m willing to join, on one condition,” Dylan informs him, “That you dress up as Sali Mali next week!”   
This does not go down well with Dai
This occasions some amusement from everyone in the Deri, except Dai.
"Things will get better, love"
Kelly has by now calmed down somewhat, and Anita assures her that things will get better;  people do not appreciate what she is going through.   “Everyone says that they are there for me – everyone says they want to help – 
"The truth is, I'm on my own!"
“but the truth is, I’m on my own,” Kelly sighs, “And I’m shattered – drained.   
"I just want it all to go away!"
“I just want the whole thing to pass, like it’s nothing but a horrible memory!”
Anita says that it will, but it is just going to take time;  
A letter has arrived for Kelly
Siôn comes in with a letter for Kelly which arrived while she was out.   She hesitantly opens it and finds it is from the council;  
"They will arrange Ed's funeral at the crem"
“They say they are willing to arrange Ed’s funeral at the crem, and need to settle a date.”
"A pauper's funeral?"
Anita is shocked that it is to be a pauper’s funeral, but Siôn points out that it is a sensible option, and Kelly indicates that is what she wants.   
"That's too good for him as well, isn't it?"
“That’s too good for him as well, isn’t it?   I’ve been as blind as a bat – I should have heard the alarm bells ringing!   
"He was dangerous and I lived with him"
“I mean, he was dangerous and I lived with him – I married him – and I’m carrying his child, for God’s sake!”
Siôn maintains that she needs to move forward now, and not to dwell on things, but she screams, “I was in danger last week, Siôn - I might not have been here now!”   
Siôn tries to console her
He puts a comforting arm on her shoulder, and she sits down by Anita, 
"Don't think like that, Kelly"
who tells her not to think like that now.
Kelly sobs, “It’s true, though – and I have defended him.   Organise his funeral – I mean – he was evil!   And I’ve made excuses, blamed Sioned, blamed Angela – there’s no point!   
"He was a murderer – I hate him!"
“He was a murderer – I hate him!   And I’m glad he’s dead!” she snarls, 
She takes off her rings
as she takes off her rings and slams them down on top of the funeral document.   She weeps bitterly in Anita’s arms.