20 June 2019

"Typical – just as I'm finishing!"
Kelly brings an extravagant cakestand into the room, and Anita comes in the front door;  “Typical – just as I’m finishing,” Kelly comments.   Anita can see that she has gone to a lot of trouble, 
"If you're going to do something, do it properly"
and Kelly replies, “If you’re going to do something, do it properly!   I’m really looking forward to seeing the kids laughing and dancing – cute!”
"This is not normal, Kelly"
Anita tells her that this is not normal;  
"Inviting my friends over and having a laugh?"
What – inviting my friends over and having a laugh?” Kelly replies, but Anita wants them to talk.   Kelly is of the opinion that there is nothing to say;  
"The man who tried to murder me"
“Unless you want to talk about Siôn going to pay his respects at the funeral of the man who tried to murder me!   No, I didn’t think so.”
Iolo comes round the corner
Iolo comes round the corner by the chippy with flowers and a bottle of wine;  he sees Sara, about to get into a taxi, driven by John Post, and asks if she is coming to Y Felin.   
"See you later, at the party!"
She says that she will see him there.
"Going to a party?"
Sioned comes out of the alley, and notices that Iolo is going to a party;  
"It's mainly for the children"
embarrassed, he maintains that the party is for the children mainly, and he and Tyler just want to be there for Kelly, after everything.
"We don't even have enough people to carry the coffin"
Sioned reminds him, “I’m burying my sister – we don’t even have enough people to carry the coffin.”   Iolo appreciates that the whole thing is awkward, and she hopes that they enjoy themselves.
"Am I smart enough?"
At Penrhewl, Eifion is wearing a suit, and asks Eileen if he is smart enough.   
"Ricky will not be coming"
She informs him that Ricky will not be able to be a pallbearer;  “He hadn’t realised that Angela was being buried in the same grave as Courtney.”   
"We can't manage with just two"
Eifion points out that two pallbearers will not be enough, so Eileen suggests they will have to use the trolley;  
"We'll be the only people there to see"
“We’ll be the only people there to see,” she groans, 
Then Sioned joins them
and then Sioned comes in, advising them that she is going, too.
She wonders where Jim and Huwi are, and is told that they have gone out for the day;  
They leave for the cemetery
they all leave the house.
"Are you going to Ed's funeral?"
At Y Felin, Siôn looks at the elaborate table, and Anita snarls at him, “Are you going to Ed’s funeral?”   He says he hopes to slip out of Angela’s.   
"Have you forgotten what he did?"
“Have you forgotten what he did?” she demands, but he emphasises that he has not forgotten anything, 
"He was a young man who lost his way"
describing Ed as a young man who lost his way.   He cannot bear to think that no one is going to be there to acknowledge his life – as a fellow human being.
"If one of the boys were lying in that coffin . . ."
“If one of the boys was lying in that coffin, I would hope someone would be there for them,” he says, as Kelly comes into the room.
"I'm not changing my mind!"
“I know you’re talking about me, but I’m not changing my mind,” she remarks, and Siôn is ready to leave, 
"No, I'm staying here with Kelly"
but Anita refuses to accompany him, preferring to stay with Kelly, who admonishes her, 
"You're behaving, right, Auntie Anita?"
“I’m not bothered either way, but you’re behaving, right, because it is a party!   
Presumably this is the 'sour face' in question
“I don’t want to see your sour face!”
"She'll have to look after that child on her own"
At number seven, Iolo points out to Tyler that Kelly will have to do all the work involved with a child on her own, but is reminded that Siôn and Anita will be there to help, as well as the two of them.
"It would be nice for Greta to have a little brother or sister"
“I think we should do more, Ty,” Iolo continues, “It would be nice for Greta to have a little brother or sister – 
"We should offer to adopt the baby"
“I think we should offer to adopt the baby – raise it between the three of us.   That’s what we were going to do before Greta turned up.”
"Things are different now, Iol"
Tyler maintains that things are different now, but Iolo argues that Kelly needs them now more than ever, 
"It's a perfect idea"
and describes his idea as perfect;  Tyler does not want to discuss the matter at the moment.
In the rainswept cemetery
At end of the proceedings at the graveside, in the rain, where the only mourners are Siôn, Eileen, Sioned and Eifion, the minister pronounces the benediction.   Siôn will not say anything, 
"I wish things could have been different"
and Sioned does not know what to say;  “You were my sister – I wish things could have been different.”   
Sioned cannot go on
Her tears stop her saying any more.
"It's no secret that we weren't close"
Eileen is adamant she is not going to pretend and spout some loving words;  “It’s no secret that Angela and I weren’t that close – to be honest, we weren’t close at all.   I didn’t know her for 30 years of her life, and from what I know now, perhaps it would have been better if we had remained strangers.”
Siôn consults his watch . . .
Siôn has been surreptitously looking at his watch, 
. . . and leaves the others
and excuses himself at this point, watched by Sioned;  
"I don't think Angela was ever satisfied"
Eileen continues, “I don’t think Angela was ever satisfied – she always looked for the next opportunity to improve her lot – to the detriment of everyone else.”
"That's where you're wrong, Mam!'
Sioned interrupts, “That’s where you’re wrong – she was searching for love – and we failed to give it to her – especially me!   
"We all failed her!"
“It’s true, she was your daughter – she came from your womb, and you should realise you failed her – that we all failed her!”   
Sioned runs after Siôn 
She turns and shouts to Siôn to wait for her.   Eileen says that she has had enough, and also leaves the graveside.
"Tuck in – there's lots of food!"
At the party in Y Felin, Kelly encourages everyone to tuck in, as there is lots of food, and they are going to have a disco.   
"She's not willing to discuss Ed"
Anita complains to Dani, “She’s not willing to discuss Ed at all,” 
"She's in denial, Anita . . ."
and is told that Kelly is in denial;  Dani assumes that it is a pauper’s funeral, and Anita replies that nobody was willing to pay.
". . . but she should have been at the funeral"
Dani is quite emphatic that Kelly should have been at the funeral.   
"I've been at a meeting"
Sara arrives with Ifan, saying that she has been to a meeting, 
"Do you want to play with Greta and Seren?"
and Ifan goes to play with Greta and Seren.
"I didn't get the job"
Sara apologises that she is late, and tells Kelly that she did not get the job, 
Kelly tries to ignore Dani
then Dani goes to have a word with Kelly;  “You’ve gone to a lot of trouble – it’s a distraction, I suppose.   Today can’t be easy.”   Kelly asks if she wants a cake, but Dani will not be deflected;  
"When I went to the funeral, I got closure"
“I just want to say one thing – when Moc died, I didn’t want to go to the funeral either.   I hated him!   But I’m glad I went, because I got closure.”
Anita pokes her nose in again
Anita tries to interrupt to say that Kelly does not want to go, but Dani will not stop speaking;  “Kelly, you’ve got a chance to close the door on everything for ever – a chance to move on,” Dani insists, 
Kelly gives it some serious thought
and it appears that she has Kelly’s attention, as she goes on, 
"It isn't just about you now, is it?"
“Because it isn’t just about you now, is it?”
Kelly looks down towards her baby
Kelly looks down towards her unborn child, then walks out of the house, leaving Anita looking rather put out.
The crematorium chapel
In the crematorium chapel, 
Sioned and Siôn come in
Sioned and Siôn approach Ed’s coffin;  
Sioned's face, reflected in the brass plate
she stands alongside it, 
She hammers on the coffin lid . . .
and in floods of tears hammers on the lid, 
. . . much to Siôn's consternation
which Siôn finds quite shocking.   
"This is all my fault, Siôn!"
She clings to him, sobbing, “This is all my fault, Siôn!”
Sara and Ifan leave the party
Back at the party, Anita is hoping that everything will be all right as Sara and Ifan leave;  Dani hopes that Kelly has gone to the funeral, but Anita is angry that she said anything.   
"I was just trying to help"
Dani protests that she was just trying to help;  “You said yourself she wasn’t facing up to things!”   
Anita does not like the thought of Kelly being on her own, 
"Why don't you phone Dad?"
so Iolo suggests she rings his father, as he said he would try to go to the funeral.   
"Anything we can do to help, Anita . . ."
Assuring her that they will do anything they can to help, Iolo and Tyler also leave.
Siôn's phone sounds
As Siôn and Sioned are still by the coffin, he receives the phone call from Anita, and at the same time, 
"Pull yourself together, Sioned – you're making a prat of yourself!"
Kelly walks through the door, clad rather incongruously in her red ‘cats’ dress.   She remarks rather brusquely to Sioned, “Pull yourself together, Sioned – you’re making a prat of yourself!”
"If I hadn't abused Ed, this wouldn't have happened"
Sioned admits that she is very sorry;  “You were right – if I hadn’t abused Ed, done of this would have happened.   But I pushed and pushed him until he was like an animal.”
"For once, this isn't about you!"
Kelly snarls, “For once, this isn’t about you!   He had chance after chance to redeem himself.   He had friends, he had me – and I would have done anything to help him – but he was determined to tell lies to protect himself.   
"If he had just admitted the truth, he wouldn't be in this box!'
“If he had just admitted the truth, he wouldn’t be in this box now – but he didn’t – and now he’s made things ten times worse!   Coward!”
"If that's how you feel, why are you here?"
Sioned demands why Kelly is there if that is the way she feels, 
"Part of him is growing inside me"
and she explains, “Because a part of him is growing inside of me – and that’s the last time I’ll acknowledge that.   I just wanted to make sure that he really was gone – for ever!”
She wants to know why Sioned is there;  
"I wanted to say sorry – to him and you"
she replies,  “I wanted to say sorry, both to him and to you.”
“Right, you have now, so . . .” begins Kelly, but Sioned asks if Kelly can forgive her.   
"Job done!"
Kelly  declares, “No!   Job done!” 
Kelly exits . . .
and walks out of the chapel, 
. . . leaving Sioned and Siôn 
watched by Sioned and Siôn.
Sheryl and her son, Meilyr
In the cemetery, where we see the headstone of Sheryl and Meilyr, 
Angela and her daughter, Courtney
and, beside it, a smaller cross, bearing the names of Angela and Courtney Probert, 
Eileen weeps
Eileen places flowers on the grave and weeps bitterly.
Eifion gets back to Penrhewl 
Eifion returns home to Penrhewl, 
"Eileen – are you there?"
and finds that Eileen is not there;  
He sits at the table . . .
he sits down at the table, 
. . . looks at photos of Angela and Courtney . . .
then looks on his phone at photos of Angela and Courtney   
. . . and then leaves again
Getting up again, he hurriedly leaves the farm.
"Sorry I couldn't tell you everything"
Siôn is back at Y Felin, and is followed by Kelly;  he apologises for not telling Anita everything on the phone.   Kelly is surprised that everyone has gone home, 
"What are we going to do with all this food?"
and demands, “What are we going to do with all this food?”
"Dani was right - I needed to see the coffin"
She confesses that Dani was right;  “I needed to see the coffin.”   
"You're very brave – and so was Sioned"
Siôn comments that she was very brave, as was Sioned.   Kelly says that Siôn gave Sioned a lift to the crematorium, and he protests that he could not refuse;  
"She was bawling – has to be the centre of attention!"
“Couldn’t keep your nose out, more like!” is Kelly’s evaluation, “She was bawling – pathetic!   She has to be the centre of attention!”
Siôn maintains that Sioned obviously feels very guilty, and when he is reprimanded by Anita, 
"I heard Kelly was having a party!"
exclaims, “I didn’t know Kelly would be there – I heard she was having a party!”
"Shut up, Siôn – you're disturbing the baby!"
Kelly loudly tells him to shut up, as he is disturbing the baby, and when he points out that the baby cannot hear yet, she continues, “Perhaps, perhaps not – you don’t know, OK?   Everything else is over – kaput!   I’m going to be a mother – 
"I'm going to make damn sure it doesn't turn out like its father!" 
“and I’m going to make damn sure the baby doesn’t turn out like its father!   I don’t want to hear Ed’s name ever again!”
"If I'd been allowed to keep you . . ."
At the graveside, Eileen says, “If I’d been allowed to keep you, how would things have turned out?   I wouldn’t have been able to marry Denz, or have Sioned or John – or Huwi, perhaps.”   
Eifion has also returned to the cemetery
Eifion is approaching, and sees her there.
She continues, “But without you, I would never have had Courtney.”   
"For the same reason as you, I suppose"
She wonders what Eifion is doing there, and he supposes that he has the same reason as her.
"I've been trying to hide my feelings"
“I’ve been trying to hide my feelings all week,” he admits, “Because I didn’t think you would want to see them.   I understand – Sioned’s words cut to the bone.   
"Angela and I were happy once"
“It’s hard to believe now, but Angela and I were happy once – 
Eileen does remember the teepees
“designing the teepees at Penrhewl, remember?   
"Her posh wellies and wax jacket!"
“Her and her posh wellies and wax jacket – she had no idea about farming.   Then I moved down to the village to be with her and Courtney – she could be a lot of fun – but now they’ve both gone.   
"She needed help – and I turned my back on her"
“I can’t stop thinking about Christmas Day, and that business with Huwi.   She obviously needed help, and I turned my back on her – I was worried you and Jim would think I was taking her side.   If I had helped her back then, she might still be here.”
"We could all have done things differently"
He breaks down in tears, and Eileen tells him not to blame himself;  “As Sioned said, we could all have done things differently – me, more than anyone.   
"Courtney would want us all to be happy"
“We have to look to the future now – I’m not sure about Angela, but I know that’s what Courtney would want.   You two were such friends – she would hate to think that you’re unhappy.   Courtney would want us all to be happy, just like she was.   
They hug each other
They hug each other.”
Sioned looks at her wedding photos
Sioned is looking at wedding photos of her and Ed;  
She grabs a black marker
she grabs a black marker, 
She is distraught . . .
and in floods of tears, 
. . . as she tries to expunge herself from the photo
she violently scribbles out her face on a photo.